Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
8 eastern, as always. See you there.

tanksalot

Taosenai, TMR Modular Realism Developer
"It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."
-- Ueshiba Morihei
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3585861 - 06/04/12 01:33 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'll most certainly be online tonight. I've got an itchy trigger finger!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3585949 - 06/04/12 04:23 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Going to be running a slightly tighter tactical ship tonight in hopes of scoring some more victories. biggrin If I make one more call for suppressing fire and I don't hear every SAW bursting off, or if I hear SAWs firing single shots like belt-fed sniper rifles, there are going to be field executions!

Make sure you have your O.N.E. installed AND all of the new maps for tonight. I've still seen the occasional failed connect.

"It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."
-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3585999 - 06/04/12 05:45 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Does suppressing fire even work, though? This isn't BiA. Have recent patches made the AI care? When we did force-on-force it counted, of course.
As someone who is often carrying a SAW, I can testify I rarely have enough ammo unless A) I die early (all too often there) or B) we're not against a far larger force where each of us needs to take out 10+ enemies if we're going to succeed. Especially if you get stuck with the 100rnd clips. Those 400 rounds you start with go FAST. The M2's on the Humvees are usually out of ammo before we get to the 1/2 way point.

Also, we often have the problem of SL's and/or FTL's commanding engagements far outside what I would consider the effective range of non-scoped weapons in Arma (generally under 250m) as the AI's unrealistic zigzag motion makes prediction of motion very difficult. Ever try running like them? You can run at that speed OR you can zig zag, but you can't AND maintain that speed whilst carrying 50+ lbs of stuff!

At 500m in Arma a non-scoped weapon on anything but single shot won't even hit the broadside of a hangar! It's the single greatest aggravation I have in Arma, carried down from the OFP days.

So I'm not sure where the disconnect with reality lies. Do we too often engage at far distances? Do the guns have too poor accuracy at those ranges? Do the AI move too bizarrely to hit? Do we face too many for the size of our squads? It does seem like every mission at least one if not more of us run out of ammo and pick up an Opfor weapon before the end.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3586062 - 06/04/12 07:02 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Jedi Master]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Does suppressing fire even work, though? This isn't BiA.

yea it does, it might not have an immediate effect but it does make em shoot less accurately, and if the AI are in the open, instead of proneing and sniping they'll get up and run to find cover.

1 method that works well is to fire in short burst of 1 to 2 seconds (if that), not just hold the trigger down. That way you get constant accurate fire, rather than hundreds of bullets down range without hitting anything.

Quote:
Also, we often have the problem of SL's and/or FTL's commanding engagements far outside what I would consider the effective range of non-scoped weapons in Arma (generally under 250m) *snip*

So I'm not sure where the disconnect with reality lies. Do we too often engage at far distances? Do the guns have too poor accuracy at those ranges? Do the AI move too bizarrely to hit? Do we face too many for the size of our squads? It does seem like every mission at least one if not more of us run out of ammo and pick up an Opfor weapon before the end.

It depends on the mission, some SL and FTL like to blow stuff up from a distance (which i have to admit is outta range sometimes) and others like to get nice and close. As for hitting stuff, i think it all depends on the skill of the person using the gun, the stance your in, and where your firing into. Open desert in takistan its not impossible to hit something out to 400-500m with the saw so long as they aint moveing to much. However doing the same thing on Chern is extremely difficult!

Course it could be said that if you want a mission to be run a certain way you could always be the SL, i'm sure tao or ads wouldnt mind a night off winkngrin

Last edited by Meatsheild; 06/04/12 07:02 PM.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3586082 - 06/04/12 07:37 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
DeadMeat Offline
Professional Meat Shield
DeadMeat  Offline
Professional Meat Shield

Kentucky
I'm ready.
If I'm on a SAW I'll be sure to keep those little targets hunkered down.
50cal

I've come to realize that many adults act more childish than most children.

#3586102 - 06/04/12 08:07 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Yep, the AI does respond to suppressing fire, though in something of an unusual manner. The internal logic only registers bullets that hit near where they are, not bullets that fly over them. So suppression has to be focused on the ground around them or the cover they are behind, rather than being a 'keep their heads down' kind of thing. But that's a technical detail. It reduces their 'courage,' making them less likely to run or attempt a movement, and increases their 'aiming shake.' Some types of enemies are harder to suppress than others. SF-types (including the entire Molatian Army, due to a funny bug) have a much higher base courage, so they are more capable of moving under suppression. The Takistani Army is mid-tier, and insurgents are the worst.

In Takistan, engagement ranges at or exceeding 400-600m are the best way to go in my experience -- except as OPFOR or when I want to do something silly, it's best to engage at longer ranges, to take advantage of the superior optics usually found on the BLUFOR hardware. Fewer players die like this, though as a historian of the Imperial Japanese Army, I'd be happy to order close-combat charges! :3

The M16A4 in real life (and in ArmA, any weapon using 5.56, since the velocity for 5.56 in ArmA is based off a 20" M16 barrel if I remember correctly) is considered effective against a point target to 550m, and even further against an area target. If you have an ACOG and are not being suppressed/hurt (shaking), those shots are gravy in ArmA, since ArmAguy is practically a gold medal shooter. Somewhat more difficult with an Aimpoint, but it should still be accurate fire. The SAW, fired in proper 3-5 round bursts, is area-effective to the same range all day in ArmA.

This is outside the effective range of the AK-47, too, though ArmA's badniks seem to have the AK-74 more often than not, which is ballistically comparable to 5.56. I try to prefer long-range engagements when we have fire support like CAS. In those situations, though it is less glorious than racking up the kills, infantry is often better used to pin down the enemy until the bombs can get there, then move in and mop up.

So I don't think it's a range/accuracy issue, nor the AI's movement pattern -- for movement, timing is everything, and hitting moving targets is really hard in real life and in ArmA, especially when bullet time of flight is a factor. Plus often we're fighting guys in civilian clothes with a rifle and like four mags, so I'm okay with them being agile.

I think you did catch the right answer, though. Many, perhaps most, of our missions place the human team against 4:1 or often very worse odds. This is why ammo is often running low. But I think it's a gameplay compromise -- a human squad can wipe out an AI squad in about one second. As an example, this is what I use in Dynamic Mission Machine:

_num = playersNumber dmm_friendly;
_numgroups = round (_num * 1.05) + 1;

i.e., for every single human player, spawn 1.05 enemy groups, plus one extra no matter what, and round. So five human players may face 6 entire squads, vehicle groups, etc. And we can win pretty consistently. Humanity is a huge force multiplier.

Something I try to create in my missions is dramatic tension. (Often what comes out is frustration instead, but when it works it works -- those who have made the long crawl to the bridge outside that uranium mine to place satchels know.) Ammo running low creates tension, at least as much as the sudden apperance of enemy vehicles or aircraft. Picking up OPFOR weapons isn't unrealistic, i.e., it does happen for certain, but it's not that common I suspect and can be an immersion breaker.

Lately I've been including extra ammo of all types in the HMMWVs to alleviate this while keeping tension up. Also, in many of the new Marine missions, almost everyone in the fireteam is carrying an extra 100rnd box for the SAW in their pack. Riflemen running out of ammo is because they are often suppressing or semi-suppressing, when the SAW should be keeping a higher volume of fire while riflemen (and especially Squad Designated Marksmen) only deliver accurate fire.

Of course, I dunno. The real Marine Corps is replacing the SAW with the magazine-fed M27 IAR, which is really nothing more than a glorified M4 in terms of what it actually does. Perhaps 'volume of fire' as an infantry doctrine is outdated. But I think they just want HK416s...

But, dangit, when I say shoot at them I mean shoot at them! biggrin

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3586112 - 06/04/12 08:17 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
IcePickFreak Offline
IcePickFreak  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
ar15

#3586148 - 06/04/12 09:20 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: Taosenai
But, dangit, when I say shoot at them I mean shoot at them! biggrin

YES SIR!

(The first 60 seconds... lol)

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3586286 - 06/05/12 01:43 AM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
Biff99 Offline
Bullet Magnet
Biff99  Offline
Bullet Magnet

Ohio
Well that sucked. My computer crashed again. It has been turning itself off mid game in Iron Front since the patch and now it is doing it in Arma too. Not sure what the problem is but I hope to get it fixed by next week. What little bit I did get to play was fun. smile

"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
#3586300 - 06/05/12 02:14 AM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
IcePickFreak Offline
IcePickFreak  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I dunno what is it about MM's but I can't ever catch a break heh. Once again, right at the start of the second mission, I lost power just like last week... what are the odds on that?! banghead

#3586315 - 06/05/12 02:40 AM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Man, tonight was brutal. dizzy Maybe Tao needs to make some softball missions where we can regain our confidence. biggrin

#3586329 - 06/05/12 03:08 AM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Killing grounds tonight. Flanks turned, and summarily executed. But, I think we put up a good fight.

I'll try to make a new mission or two this weekend. I'm so excited for ArmA 3, sometimes it's hard to load up the ol' ArmA 2 editor!

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3586346 - 06/05/12 03:30 AM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Incredible AI difficulty aside, I had a good variety of play tonight. But my disastrous lead on the first mission left me wanting to put that right next time.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3586462 - 06/05/12 12:13 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Great missions tonight and they were indeed challenging but that's the way it should be. If every mission was a milk run, things would get boring. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3586487 - 06/05/12 01:26 PM Re: Military Monday - 4 June [Re: Taosenai]  
Punisher5555 Offline
Punisher5555  Offline

Cleveland, Ohio
Good games last. Got me out of my BF3 stuppor.

I went to peak around that wall in the Mosque/ac130 mission, heard a vehicle, yelled,"vehicle", got smoked.

3 Samsung 27" LED Monitors powered by a Zotac 4GB 680GTX. Set at PCI Gen3. 5760 x 1080 resolution.
MSI z68a-gd80 (g3) motherboard
Ivy Bridge 3770k 3.5Ghz
32GB RAM (all .pbo's loaded into a 12GB RamDisk)
TrackIR4
zboard merc keyboard
Saitek X-52 stick/throttle/pedals
Logitech MOMO racing wheel/pedals
Razer Deathadder 3500 black mouse
Sony receiver for 5.1 surround sound. 5 speakers and powered sub-woofer.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.