Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3585972 - 06/04/12 05:06 PM German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end?  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
Christ, this mission is beyond ridiculous. I think I've racked up more kills in this one mission than I did in the entire Operation Arrowhead campaign.
Click to reveal..

OK, so I raid the village and rescue the 3 POWs and the trigger tells me to go search for goodies in some village. Fine. Order the squad into stealth mode and we creep up one side of the road towards the village. A truck and jeep appear, both laden with Soviet tropps. I had grabbed an MG42 at the end of the previous mission so I was able to light them up without much trouble but used up my ammo doing so. I grab a Russian SMG and we proceed on to the village.

Several save and loads later, we take out the dozen or so guys in the village and liberate a couple of half-tracks. Now I'm told we have to go another compound. I don't know why as we've got half-tracks which should give us the mobility we need to break out but that's not an option.

Trundle over to the next objective and this one's got dozens of Soviets running around, more in guard towers, AT guns, AA guns. The ArmA AI shows it's ugly head here as I have to drive because trying to get the AI driver to follow commands is like being in a bumper car with a retiree zoned out on Robitusson and Tylenol 3s. Once I take over driving duties, my AI gunner does his usual thing of wasting half the ammo firing into the dirt 3 inches from a baddie 10 metres away.

Reload, order everyone to hold fire and then I creep up one metre, hop into the gunner's position, shoot a few guys, go back to the driver's seat and repeat the process 20-30 times. Eventually, "we" clear the area. There are some T-34s here but with no gas. I recall seeing some gas trucks at the last place we hit so I grab a jeep, order everyone else to sit and wait, and I head back to grab a gas truck.

I run into even more Russians on the way back and get shot once as I blitz past them. I get to the fuel truck and run into some more infantry (sure am glad I cleared this place 10 minutes ago.) I shoot three of them, heal up at the ambulance, and the abscond with the fuel truck. Thankfully, the infantry who sho me up as I went passed in the jeep seem to have moved on and my drive back to the tanks is clear.

We fuel up and roll out in the T-34s and I'm thinking we've got to be nearing the end of this mission now. Nope. The scenario demands that we clear out yet another coumpound. We rumble inwith the tanks, knock out a halftrack, a jeep, an AT gun, and a dozen or so infantry. OK Great! Now we're done, right?

Nope, go to yet another compound and discover that this one's full of POWs. The AI commander of the 2nd tank doesn't seem to concerned about the fate of these prisoners and gleefully lobs HE shells into their midst in the hopes of killing a few Russian SMG infantry. Reload, order dingleberry in the 2nd tank to stand off while I repeat my earlier performance of driving up a few metres, switch to the commander's seat and use the MG to whittle away at the guards. I use up most of my MG ammo but clear the camp. Can't seem to interact with the POWs at all so this was pretty much a waste of time.

Got to be over now! Nope, orders are to go drive through a heavily defended village with tanks, AT guns, and what appears to be the entire Soviet Guards infantry contingent. Both AI commanders rip through all their ammo within the first minute but we manage to push through to the objective. Got to be over now, right? NOPE! WTF?!?!?! I'm stuck in the middle of a village, no ammo, and several dozen enemy infantry and enemy tanks rumbling about and the stupid effing game wants me to move on to yet another objective? Who dreamed up this scenario?

This is where I'm stuck. The number 2 guy keeps getting killed and ending the mission. I've got 93 kills on the scoreboard already and the mission's not over. I'm pretty much done with it though.

Has anyone actually finished this thing?

S = k ln W
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3586005 - 06/04/12 05:54 PM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I've never gotten that far. For me the number 2 guy has died every single time before we clear the first village. It's getting unfuriating.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3586068 - 06/04/12 07:16 PM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
Xambrium Offline
Xambrium  Offline

I skipped this mission (ENDMISSION cheat from Arma2 works) because its just total unrealistic "Hero" mission.

If you try it, you should liberate the POW camp before you go to the other locations.

#3586925 - 06/06/12 04:29 AM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
Juniorjunior Offline
Juniorjunior  Offline

I'm still trying to control the kubelwagon from the map mode. I've never played arms so the instructions are so damn vague- sooo frustrated right now.

#3588773 - 06/09/12 06:56 AM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
Xambrium Offline
Xambrium  Offline

just select the driver (F3) and then click on the map marker where he has to go (mapmode) and the same in the 3d world.

#3589716 - 06/11/12 04:24 AM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
Amuro Offline
Amuro  Offline

It took me over 6 hours to complete this mission. I had to order all my men to go prone most of the time approaching objectives otherwise they'd get killed easily. I also picked up a Russian PPSh-41 early so I never had to worry about running out of bullets.

The following is the order I did it:
Cleared the village first (the event didn't trigger the first time for some reason), then followed the way point to the motor pool/mechanized group. After that we headed to the Tank repair factory. I drove the fuel truck myself and ordered my men to follow behind in the half-track. We parked the vehicles about half click away from the way point and continued on foot. Cleared the repair factory, took the fueled truck back, refueled the T-34s, and next stop the Armory. We parked the tanks about 200 meter away since they had no ammo and continued on foot to the objective, killed everyone there, rearmed the tanks, and ordered my men to rearm themselves also. Next we headed over to the POW camp, with the tanks it's very easy to clear it, maybe too easy as only two prisoners were left standing after I bombarded the camp. After completing this task, I got the way point to a town crawling with enemy T-34s but not a problem when you had three tanks fully loaded with ammo. Once reached the other side of town, the next task was to capture a radio station and contact the main troops. The radio station was in a building marked on the map with a blue exclamation mark, but there were two enemy T-34s guarding the building in a nearby courtyard, and one of them was hiding below some fallen tree. After reaching the radio, a cutscene was triggered, and I was asked to attack the Russians from behind, which was just blowing up 3 artillery sites, easy job for your tank. After that, I was given a way point to meet up with the main troops, and that was it, the end.

Last edited by Amuro; 06/11/12 05:16 AM.
#3589733 - 06/11/12 06:52 AM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
Two things I am struggling with on this mission that I am sure are straightforward to Arma veterans.. I capture the fuel truck and clear the depot but no matter how close I park the thing to the tanks I can't seem to refuel and secondly all my chaps run out of ammo quickly and I can't find the command for them to scavenge ammunition.. Any pointers?

Apart from that I am absolutely loving this game, particularly the king tiger, epic!

Last edited by FieldyHK; 06/11/12 06:53 AM.
#3589890 - 06/11/12 02:41 PM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: FieldyHK]  
Amuro Offline
Amuro  Offline

Originally Posted By: FieldyHK
Two things I am struggling with on this mission that I am sure are straightforward to Arma veterans.. I capture the fuel truck and clear the depot but no matter how close I park the thing to the tanks I can't seem to refuel and secondly all my chaps run out of ammo quickly and I can't find the command for them to scavenge ammunition.. Any pointers?

Apart from that I am absolutely loving this game, particularly the king tiger, epic!

If you can't get the tank to refuel with you at the loader/driver/commander positions, try ride the tank on its back. You should see see a refuel action icon and use that action. As for ammunition, I had to manually select each guy and tell them to pick up/drop weapons/ammo from dead bodies. Also, there are two ammo trucks park at the Armory, which can be used to rearm the tanks as well as your soldiers.

Last edited by Amuro; 06/11/12 02:42 PM.
#3590249 - 06/12/12 12:41 AM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: Amuro]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: Amuro
Originally Posted By: FieldyHK

If you can't get the tank to refuel with you at the loader/driver/commander positions, try ride the tank on its back. You should see see a refuel action icon and use that action. As for ammunition, I had to manually select each guy and tell them to pick up/drop weapons/ammo from dead bodies. Also, there are two ammo trucks park at the Armory, which can be used to rearm the tanks as well as your soldiers.

Thanks for the pointers!

#3598457 - 06/28/12 12:45 AM Re: German campaign mission: Night Calls. Does it ever end? [Re: mugwump]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Hi all,

I am new to these ArmA games, even though I have had the first two for some time. I have never gotten over the initial learning curve. I can tell that this game is going to be really fun but I am running into problems that are pretty frustrating. I was hoping that some of the veteran players on here could give me some pointers as well. The main problems that I am having are: utilizing troops well (commanding them). I just have a hard time knowing how to make them do what I need them to do, which results in them getting killed or wounded. Having them go where I want them to go, for instance, I loaded half of my guys into a half track and the other half into a scout car. The vehicle I was in responded to commands but the other vehicle wouldnt, which resulted in me making them walk. My guys are running out of ammo and I find it pretty difficult to make them individually change to Soviet weapons/ammo. When wounded, I can make the medic heal troops, or me, but who heals the medic? And sometimes the guys' icons are red but no option to heal them. I apologize if these are dumb questions but knowing how to do these things would make a big difference in how much I enjoy this sim. I have been trying to figure it out for a few days, but only have limited time to play and dont want to waste any more of it trying to figure out things that should be fairly easy to do. Thanks in advance to any who respond.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.