Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3584155 - 06/01/12 04:21 PM Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore.  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
I bought this thing a week ago as a present for my wife. She was a bit frightened to connect it, because she did not know what to do.
Frankly, i understand that - the "manual" that came with it is something for the dustbin.
Not to mention the unpractical package with all stuffed in - genuine out-of-the-box-experience, but a bad one.

Now there's that beautiful Apple hype with how easy all is, and self-explanatory. After four days of trying to get something useful out of this thing my wife and me had our first major crisis, screaming at each other.

Please, can anyone explain what i would have to do to use it or get it going ? I have absolutely no idea what to do.
Certainly, i do not have a Mac - they did not tell me i would need to have one.

Here is what i did, or try to do:

Install iTunes on my PC - worked (i thought).
Plug in the iPod - battery low - isn't that thing supposed to load when plugged in via USB ? Because there is no other charging device.
Plugged it in at another USB-port, now it loads (?)
IPod will not be shown in the WIndows Explorer as a USB device.
Start iTunes "Your iPod could not be identified"

So my wife entered a lot of information she did not really want to give away, and when it asked for eMail address and real address and telephone number, she cried "this is private", and broke off. It seems to have registered though - wtf is that even for ?

We just wanted to put some audio book on the pod, so entered a DVD which was then digitized/changed/whatever and then put the tracks into a folder automatically, where we did not want it to be.
You cannot delete folders in iTunes, or shift audio tracks to others or so it seems ?
I have meanwhile removed iTunes from my PC, and will only do or try anything with iTunes it on hers.

Do you need an Apple ID ? And i have to put address and all in it to get it ?

Thanks,
Catfish

Last edited by Catfish; 06/01/12 04:39 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3584194 - 06/01/12 05:27 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
iPods and iPhones are the bee's knees, but iTunes is the work of the devil shedevil Still can't believe the fact that a company like Apple will come up with cr@p like iTunes.

You can get alternatives to iTunes. I use "Copy Trans Manager" which allows you to upload media to your iPod/iPhone without touching iTunes. You do need to install iTunes, but don't need to run it as iTunes installs some sort of drivers etc for iPod/iPhone that Trans Manager needs.

http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3584212 - 06/01/12 05:47 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Its too late for you i'm afraid. You have sold your soul to the Apple conglomeration and now, they will know everything you do on your ipod.

Get your tin foil hat sir... They are watching !!!

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3584217 - 06/01/12 05:49 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Thank you so much, will try this now and report - pitchafit

But really, from all the descriptions that should be a bit easier - i can understand that an MS MCITP like me cannot work with Apple, maybe they built a barrier in my brain in one of those courses lol

#3584260 - 06/01/12 06:49 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I can commiserate with you Catfish.Particularly with iTunes,which I had a constant battle with.
Mine so annoyed me that I sold it after a few months and went back to an old Creative Zen I had.
Drag and drop....bliss smile

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3584279 - 06/01/12 07:13 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Why do people praise this stuff so much then ?
I mean downloading music instantly is neat, on the other hand i really miss the CD/DVD stores - Apple killed all.

And so much fuss ? Where is the advantage ? This iTune stuff is so counter-intuitive - i just want to move tracks around to hear it, without fuzz !
Some years ago you put any music on you cassette and hear it everywhere, car, walkman, friends .. bought a load of records and recorded - now you feel you get sued for everything, while nobody really understands what is legal and not anymore.

And if you buy a tune at iTunes you "may" copy it three times to other devices, until you have to buy i again - how gracious !

Is there anything that escapes me or do young people not know how it was just a few years ago ?

Trying the third iTunes installation - it will not recognize the iPod. And when i put tracks on a folder named audio book, why does it show up in "Music" then, and NOT "Audio book" ? What. the. hell.
And you lose all control of where it is really stored, from automatic updates to spam mails

Well i guess i will just have to adapt to this stuff, or put all up Apple's a$$. In the moment i feel like the latter lol

Thanks, still trying - how easy this all is.

#3584338 - 06/01/12 08:15 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

hehe now the tracks are on the iPod - in the wrong directory - and it still is not recognized in iTunes but hey -
only it shuts itself off after 2 minutes. I must have heard this first two minutes for ten times now ..

I think i annoy you, will better report when all works - in a year or so lol

Update - now it works, it does not shut down anymore, you have to ram the plug in with force - then it does not cut off after 2 minutes.

But:

Have imported 6 CDs of an audio book. All tracks are "numbered" a,b,c, on every (!) CD .. and now the iPod decided to sort it by a, b, c - so all first tracks on every CD are played after another, in the wrong order.

GAAAWDDDD !!!

Last edited by Catfish; 06/01/12 08:21 PM.
#3584445 - 06/01/12 10:41 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

After I got an ipod shuffle and tried working with iTunes I swore I would never buy another apple product again in my life.

You should be able to just drag and drop an mp3 into it, however...you don't have to go through the iTunes interface, AFAIK.

FTX Global
#3584484 - 06/02/12 12:02 AM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
The only apple product I own is an IPod Nano (3rd generation) and I never had any problems with it in more than 5 years. Sure, Itunes is a bit of a bother, but I can't remember ever having any kind of problems with it. I consider the IPod Nano, my Kindle and the Thrustmaster Warthog the best electronics hardware I've bought in the last 20 years.

Whenever I buy music I just download the songs into the appropriate folders, then add these folders to Itunes. Then synchronize with IPod-> finished.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3584539 - 06/02/12 02:17 AM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
I have an iPod Touch.
I definitely can understand being frustrated by software,but I've never had a problem with it.
Loaded albums by cd into iTunes,and a few from the store via download.Put 67 complete albums on it,and can listen anywhere.
Even put a Kenwood stereo in my truck that can play the iPod albums.
I couldn't be happier with mine-great product.

#3585261 - 06/03/12 12:08 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
I have a 6th generation Nano. It lives in my car. My Evo has a USB port and recognizes the Nano. The only time it comes out of the car is when I buy a new song on iTunes or if it quits working...sometimes I have to reset to defaults so the Evo's radio will recognize it again.

Miao, Cat
#3585329 - 06/03/12 03:00 PM Re: Anyone with an iPod nano here ? This thing is a chore. [Re: Catfish]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Hello,
should have written it is a 6th generation Nano, it is really tiny.

First thanks for tips and sympathy, after 2 days some things have been cleared - you do not work with folders when using Apple products, it is more of a kind of data mixture, and you decide what you want to list and how - like an unsorted database, until you produce a list out of the rubble.
This works well as long as you download tracks from iTunes, or import your once-bought CDs - however if you use MP3s you made yourself e.g. out of older LP records, and do not tag them properly, this system fails completely. Or - work on every track feeding it with information like from what album, which number etc. etc..
Seems some work ahead.

Thanks,
Catfish
(blubb)

P.S.@ Cat: a Mitsubishi (Lancer) Evo ? Nice car !

Last edited by Catfish; 06/03/12 03:01 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.