Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3583809 - 06/01/12 03:37 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Did you remember to install patch 1.01 first? The release patch, not the 1.01a Beta patch. You have to install it before the 1.02 new patch.

Re: Mace...
I haven't had any major game breaking bugs yet, it's not as pretty as advertised, but playable. What's your system specs?

i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz
12 GB RAM
GTX 560 Ti w/2GB running 1680x1050 Latest Nvidia driver
TrackIR 5
Saitek X52
Saitek Rudder pedals

Graphic settings set to Very High, post processing turned off

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3583817 - 06/01/12 04:03 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Well the v1.02 patch has solved my campaign issues, and I'm now able to continue my progress.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3583861 - 06/01/12 06:45 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Phazon Offline
Phazon  Offline

Sydney, NSW, Australia
For those getting trees / texture popup issues, have you guys tried the following:

Use the -maxMem=2047 startup command in your Iron Front shortcut? This is the highest setting possible and forces the game to use as much RAM as it can.

Ensure that the Video Memory setting in the options is set to Default. Its poorly worded, its the auto-detect setting that ensures that ArmA 2 uses all your videocard memory. From memory the Very High setting actually only goes up to 1GB. You must use the Default setting for cards that have more than 1GB of memory otherwise you might get popup issues that are being described.

This should help mitigate the issue as much as possible at least. It is still possible there are other bugs that cause popup as in the past with ArmA 2 that may need to be fixed. I don't see any severe popup, at least not to the extent that some people seem to describe. I use the settings above however with a HD6970 2GB card.

Last edited by Phazon; 06/01/12 06:46 AM.

"Rock crushes scissors ... but paper covers rock, and scissors cuts paper! Kif, we have a conundrum." - Zapp Brannigan
#3583863 - 06/01/12 06:49 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I agree with Mace's sentiments... A game should be released in a properly working state. But since that almost never happens anymore, I guess I'll just have to be grateful for the incremental patches.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3583865 - 06/01/12 06:54 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Phazon Offline
Phazon  Offline

Sydney, NSW, Australia
Well to be honest the situation could be much worse. With Red Orchestra 2 and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover both games released with severe underlying engine issues ontop of the CTDs / gameplay problems.

RO2 got fixed up after several months of waiting, Cliffs of Dover still has yet to be fixed up after over a year.

At least with Iron Front while we do have CTDs and bugs, we know the underlying engine is fairly solid and has been developed on for quite some time as ArmA 2 proves. We just need to give the small development team of Iron Front some time to sort things out, and we should have a nice Eastern Front WW2 simulator on our hands.

Last edited by Phazon; 06/01/12 06:54 AM.

"Rock crushes scissors ... but paper covers rock, and scissors cuts paper! Kif, we have a conundrum." - Zapp Brannigan
#3583899 - 06/01/12 08:48 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Completly agree with Phazon!
I really don't understand some people - Does someone still thinks that NO game will EVER come out without ANY bugs, specially a game based on ArmA engine?? Come on!! This is being naive at best...

Even so with it bugs, Iron Front is still extremelly enjoyable and playable in both MP (at least Co-op which is what matters to me) and in SP (campaign and/or scenarios) a thing that can't be said for many other games released (Red Orchestra 2 and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover are two examples).

IMO, this is the best game that I purchased this year (by far) and also IMO this is the best and most realistic WWII tactical shooter that I ever played but of course this is just my humble oppinion!

Regarding game support: Today it makes exactly 1 (ONE) week that Iron Front was released and the devs already released 2 (TWO) PATCHES!!! This is more than the usual "two weeks" dealine for patches that most devs preaches! What do you want more in terms of game support?? Really.... rolleyes

#3583930 - 06/01/12 10:28 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I think from now on I will get the game and pay for it 'in a few months' seeing as that's the attitude of game devs.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3583932 - 06/01/12 10:30 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

If they rush the release wouldn't people be allowed to put pressure for fix?
If we as customers stop expecting a bug/error free product, every single product released in the future will most likely look like IL-2 Ben Dover.
I wouldn't be happy with that.

#3583946 - 06/01/12 11:19 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: Phazon]  
SneakyPete Offline
SneakyPete  Offline

Newark UK
Originally Posted By: Phazon
For those getting trees / texture popup issues, have you guys tried the following:

Use the -maxMem=2047 startup command in your Iron Front shortcut? This is the highest setting possible and forces the game to use as much RAM as it can.

Ensure that the Video Memory setting in the options is set to Default. Its poorly worded, its the auto-detect setting that ensures that ArmA 2 uses all your videocard memory. From memory the Very High setting actually only goes up to 1GB. You must use the Default setting for cards that have more than 1GB of memory otherwise you might get popup issues that are being described.

This should help mitigate the issue as much as possible at least. It is still possible there are other bugs that cause popup as in the past with ArmA 2 that may need to be fixed. I don't see any severe popup, at least not to the extent that some people seem to describe. I use the settings above however with a HD6970 2GB card.

Setting the video memory to 'default' from 'very high' gives me a 15-20 fps hit with my ATI HD7950. I can't say I really notice much improvement where pop-ups are concerned by doing this either, especially regarding the fairly close range grass which still either pops up or changes to a higher detail whatever the setting. One thing that I didn't like about RO2 were the pop up trees and bushes especially when using zoom. I think IF looks very similar in that respect at the moment. I hope they can do something with it as I find it a bit of an immersion killer.

In other areas I'm still getting CTDs with version 1.02 in single player. This seems to happen more if I run the in game AA.

The devs seem to be listening and working hard regarding problems and patches but I think they should knock the beta patches on the head as it it just serves to confuse many especially those who are not so savvy with computers. There are still problems but all in all I'm happy with my IF purchase and if you compare its release state to something like Cliffs of Dover which IMO is still in an Alpha stage 15 months since release I think IF will be mostly sorted in a much shorter length of time. I don't think it's correct to release buggy games but I've slowly come to accept that is how it is especially in the sim market. Pretty sweeping to say it's a 'sign of the times but like it or not, unfortunately, paying to be beta testers seems to be the norm these days. I'd prefer to be told before purchase if that is going to be the case though!

Cheers.

SP

Intel I7 8700k @4,8
MSI GTX1070
16GB ram
Windows 10 64 bit
#3583949 - 06/01/12 11:32 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Setting video memory to default does nothing.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3584017 - 06/01/12 01:10 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Phazon Offline
Phazon  Offline

Sydney, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: SneakyPete
Setting the video memory to 'default' from 'very high' gives me a 15-20 fps hit with my ATI HD7950. I can't say I really notice much improvement where pop-ups are concerned by doing this either, especially regarding the fairly close range grass which still either pops up or changes to a higher detail whatever the setting. One thing that I didn't like about RO2 were the pop up trees and bushes especially when using zoom. I think IF looks very similar in that respect at the moment. I hope they can do something with it as I find it a bit of an immersion killer.

Hi SneakyPete, what view distance setting do you use? It could be because the videocard is loading more detail onto the screen because the Default setting uses more memory, whereas with lower settings the game loads lower quality versions so it does not max out the memory which is more performance friendly but the quality wouldn't be as good.

It might be hard to tell the difference at the moment because I believe the vegetation is currently bugged somehow. The developer said they were reworking it, so something must be wrong with it at the moment.

#3584043 - 06/01/12 01:47 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: Mace71]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

Mace, what bug is it you are looking to have solved? I've just reviewed the thread in hopes of helping, but I can't find where you mention what's breaking your game.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3584070 - 06/01/12 02:39 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: Phazon]  
SneakyPete Offline
SneakyPete  Offline

Newark UK
Originally Posted By: Phazon
Originally Posted By: SneakyPete

Hi SneakyPete, what view distance setting do you use? It could be because the videocard is loading more detail onto the screen because the Default setting uses more memory, whereas with lower settings the game loads lower quality versions so it does not max out the memory which is more performance friendly but the quality wouldn't be as good.

It might be hard to tell the difference at the moment because I believe the vegetation is currently bugged somehow. The developer said they were reworking it, so something must be wrong with it at the moment.

Hi Phazon,

My view distance is set to around 3000.

I think a few of the graphics settings are a bit screwed up as most do very little to my frame-rates (except vid mem). In general my frame rates in mp or against the AI in Blitzkrieg are 50-80 but around 25-55 in the campaign missions with the same settings which makes the campaign feel pretty sluggish. No real moans from me as I realise others have very poor frame-rates and stability but I'd like to see an improvement in the very slow and ugly texture loading especially when using zoom somewhere down the line if possible. I did read as you said that the devs were aware of the problem and solution so hopefully a fix won't be too long. I do feel there is a problem with the in game AA causing CTDs though.

Intel I7 8700k @4,8
MSI GTX1070
16GB ram
Windows 10 64 bit
#3584141 - 06/01/12 04:06 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Phazon Offline
Phazon  Offline

Sydney, NSW, Australia
I did alot of testing tonight on various settings and FPS, nothing really affected my framerate that much short of the texture settings or the 3D resolution which has a massive impact on visual quality. I get roughly 60 fps in the open field-like areas, but forests and towns halve that to 30. Its still perfectly playable, but it does give a somewhat choppy experience when you are looking in one direction that gives you good FPS then you look another and you lose FPS.

I find the vegetation and trees to be a big hit on FPS, and buildings hurt as well. Its expected of course as its alot of objects to render, but I can't help but think I do believe the developers can help make things better by doing some optimisation work.

As I noted before one developer today mentioned that they are going to rework the vegetation, which will hopefully drain less FPS and reduce the draw issues with them. The post in question is here: http://forum.iron-front.com/showthread.php?350-trees&p=2836&viewfull=1#post2836

#3584230 - 06/01/12 06:12 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: adlabs6]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: adlabs6
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

Mace, what bug is it you are looking to have solved? I've just reviewed the thread in hopes of helping, but I can't find where you mention what's breaking your game.

There is nothing that can be fixed by us only the devs as they have already stated that they know about it and know how to fix it which is why I was pissed off it hasn't been.

It's blocky, low-res, morphing trees and bushes, low-res textures on buildings popping in and out. And it's nothing to do with setting the video memory to default before you suggest that as it happens on all graphics settings.

ARMA2 OA works perfectly at high/Very High.

#3584248 - 06/01/12 06:28 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
charon2112 Offline
charon2112  Offline

Massachusetts USA
For other Nvidia card users-supposedly setting IFL44 to the Arma2 profile in Nvidia Inspector increases performance, although I haven't tried it yet.

We had nothing comparable.
Major-General F. W. Mellenthin, Chief of Staff of XLVIII Panzer Corps., referring to the T-34 tank.
#3584405 - 06/01/12 09:46 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
I hope they sort the CTD's as it's becoming frustrating, it pretty much crashes every time I play for over 15 minutes, I can just about ignore the trees and grass changing detail as I zoom but that kills it for me!

Must say though, I hope the devs come through as I was really looking forward to this one because of the setting.

It's funny as ARMA 2 works great on my system, here's hoping it's just a hiccup!

I have a i7 2600k, 8 gigs of DDR3, and a ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II on Windows 7 x64, all my other games work flawlessly.

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
#3584440 - 06/01/12 10:38 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Sounds to me Mace (and not being offensive here), that your problems are more eye-candy than game-breaking bugs?

#3584443 - 06/01/12 10:40 PM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: SneakyPete]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

With a genre so devoid of titles it's tough for me to get too upset. I'd rather have a buggy game that's getting fixed then nothing at all.

#3584493 - 06/02/12 12:29 AM Re: 1.02 patch now available [Re: cheesehawk]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: cheesehawk
Sounds to me Mace (and not being offensive here), that your problems are more eye-candy than game-breaking bugs?

Erm, no not really unless you like playing against a constantly shifting landscape. Try spotting someone against that, it isn't easy and with textures appearing and disappearing it's not easy to concentrate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.