Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3581120 - 05/27/12 08:52 PM So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-(  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Just when you think you know some people...

Three years in a band, three years without major success (we weren't trying anyway) but three years of decent music and the occasional gig. Practice times mostly on weekday evenings which suited me very well (I have a bit of longer drive than the other three, after work it's fine and also already a bit closer than from home, but on weekends it was always annoying). Always flexible in our time schedule, arranging meets just a week or two before. No stress, no "job feeling" to it, just some fun making music together.

Suddenly for no reason I'm aware of (no major gig coming, no other major development) the other three decide we need to practice at least twice a month on weekends, and have to have a strict "schedule" of at least a month in advance. Totally would kill my other interests/projects and likely also my relationship. Also they insisted the band had to be "more important than any other hobby" (huh? We aren't making money of it). I suggested compromises. They didn't listen. I'm no longer with them.

It's funny but it sucks almost as bad as being left by a girlfriend. I had a good personal contact with these guys, we spent a decent amount of time with each other outside the practice room. In fact had I moved out of the big town back to my parent's village they would have been almost next door neighbors.

The part of me that silently wants revenge is telling myself they'll have though job finding someone playing my style and getting him integrated in less than six months. I'll at least be busy racing the bike.

Not gonna join any other project any time soon, U2 will have to live with my playing along to them...

Sorry, just had to vent.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3581123 - 05/27/12 09:07 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Sorry to hear about that. My mother used to say "...when one door closes, another opens up...". At the time the statement was less than helpful, but life always did turn out for the better. Good luck.

#3581140 - 05/27/12 09:38 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Bummer. Hopefully something come your way soon that makes you forget this. BTW your still a bassist, your just between opprotunities.

#3581149 - 05/27/12 09:48 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Well, I already have going a nice fat "project" for this summer (and many to come) in regards to get into serious sport motorbiking/track day racing.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3556696/My_new_project_GCC_Comfy_Chair.html

I suppose it did take away a bit of my focus from the music, but not enough that I would have ditched it on my own (and certainly not enough for them to complain as I always played well at our recording sessions and live gigs). Kind of they made the decision for me on what to focus...

So as Wireman said, the "door closes/opens" analogy isn't so far off. And yeah, I realize I'm still a bassist wink but I admit I never enjoyed playing on my own - I always did it more for the fun as a group than as a "serious melodical exercise".

Bit of two minds about their offer to purchase one of my two basses at a very fair price. Part of me says for now I won't need it but could use the money, part of me says there's too much memories involved to sell it.

Oh well, it really feels surprisingly "sad" given that I saw it coming for the last three weeks in the ongoing discussion. I guess it's less about "not being in a band" anymore than about being sold off so cheaply by three guys I considered friends.

#3581162 - 05/27/12 10:08 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

so they pretty much kick ya out, heck i wouldnt sell them anything even though its them using money, they get rid of the bassist then try to get a base from you? i'd tell em where to shove it dude! if i were you i would focus on that motorbike racing wink sounds pretty damn awesome to me!

First Ever Win: STCC, Donnington Park, Race 2, 19th March 2012
First Ever Podium: 2nd, Silverstone SCES 2011
First Ever Pole: Race 1, Thruxton, SSTCC, 8th April 2012
First Ever Fastest Lap: Le Mans, SCES, 3:59.028, 3rd June 2012
Wins: 3 (3 SSTCC)
Podiums: 10 (3 SCES, 7 SSTCC)
Pole Positions: 3 (1 SCES, 2 SSTCC)
Fastest Laps: 1 (1 SCES)

3rd Overall SSTCC Great Britain Series, 2012.

Team: Ozjet Racing
Number(s): 26 (SCES) 27 (STCC)
#3581183 - 05/27/12 10:38 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
They had someone already in line and gave you the boot.
Don't assist them in any way.

#3581192 - 05/27/12 10:54 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Reb, part of "paranoid me" is thinking that too. Although if I had agreed to sunday planning they wouldn't have kicked me, so not sure what is going on. Will be interesting to see how quick they will have a replacement.

It is a bit surprising and "mathematically inefficient" that after we finally integrated a great drummer last year and were now finally able to play 1h+ hour intense and error-free setlists they would rather chose to look for a new bassist (estimated six months inactivity at least depending on how quick they can find someone) than chose to practice a bit less formally and strictly. The productivity from their sundays will not make up for that effort needed, not in a long while. They will also have to ditch our 400EUR "professionally produced" demo song as they can't use it without me anymore.

Really can't get my head around why for example they did not want to spend additional money on professional demo recording/producing (which IMHO you can't avoid if you want to sell yourself harder and better) but yet they want to be "professional practizing as number one priority". They are still doing it for fun, but want to do it like it would be a job.

And yeah you guys are totally right, I'll keep the bass. It was after all my first one, and the second one is not easy to finger-pick with, that's what the first one is for. I really appreciate your thoughts, it makes it a bit easier to deal with the sudden change of attidude I get from these guys.

#3581205 - 05/27/12 11:13 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Damn sorry to hear that. I know you're passionate about music and photography.

While you're doing your motorcycling effort, you might want to think about maybe doing some photography work along the way, give people a look into the sporting culture around motor racing.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3581393 - 05/28/12 08:38 AM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Sounds like constructive dismissal. It happens frequently in bands.

I've seen it a lot over the past 50 years - even instigated it. You are prepared to sacrifice anybody if you are going for the gold clock.

I have also found that if you don't fall out with someone in a rock band, you never will.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#3581415 - 05/28/12 09:51 AM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Zeppelin Offline
Zeppelin  Offline

Dorset, UK
Sorry to hear that RSColonel_131st. I've been through it a couple of times myself over the years, and as Old Dux mentioned above, even instigated it once or twice. It happens, and is just a just a part of playing music with other folks. You're still a bassist, don't be discouraged from playing because of this.

Makes you wonder how bands like the Rolling Stones keep it together for almost 50 years. Longest streak I had with one band was 18 months, and it was HARD!

Good luck mate!

Only dead fish go with the flow.
#3581423 - 05/28/12 10:20 AM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
A bassist is a bassist.
I remained a bassist for the last 20 years, and will be one till I die (I am not sure about being a bassist after life... we'll see).
I had at least 5 bands in the last decade, doesn't really care about them, I am more interested in people (i have a guitarist friend, played in various bands, always pulling each other).
So, never give up, never surrender.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3581443 - 05/28/12 11:46 AM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Good bass players are hard to find.....do not worry mate something will turn up.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3581444 - 05/28/12 11:49 AM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
$hit happens man.

your group was going in a different direction than you - they want to practice all the time, or change their style, whatever.

don't think of them ditching you. they just let you know it was your train stop.

find another band and broaden the kind of music you play. it's all good experience in the end.

#3581507 - 05/28/12 02:09 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Hmmmm....regrettable but it clearly wasn't working anyways. Fate is a funny aul thing. If I were you, I'd swiftly embark upon a 6 month long drug fuelled Odyssey and then rock the world by creating a new form of bass playing loosely 'based' * upon the explosive, Polyrhythmic dynamic beatz of Tribal Patagonian Gnomes.

Don't follow trends, Colonel....set them. Without innovation there can be only stagnation.

The Kingdom of Bass is indeed Within you. Don't fight it. Feel it. Become that Behemoth of Bass that you always knew you were.

rofl

*see what I did there

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3581512 - 05/28/12 02:24 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: Wireman]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Wireman
Sorry to hear about that. My mother used to say "...when one door closes, another opens up...".

I took that advice and went to Takeshi's Castle.. Damnit! (That's me at :41)

Good luck RSC..may all YOUR doors open! biggrin

#3581674 - 05/28/12 06:05 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Paul Morrison Offline
Veteran
Paul Morrison  Offline
Veteran

Canada
I used to play a lot more than I do now. So... what do I do to keep it up? I play at church.

Lots of good stuff, a variety of types and styles. KT Tunstall one week, U2 the next, Switchfoot on occaison. Next week we're playing a Styx song.

The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
#3581683 - 05/28/12 06:17 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Hehe Paul, I used to play at Church - classic guitar - when I was about 12 or 14.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I understand the concept of "constructive dismissal" but I think they haven't been telling me the truth for the last month or two. It's not like they are "going for gold" now or as I would have been the roadblock to that. I guess what bothers me most is that these people I was thinking off as friends, but friends need to be able and make compromises supporting or at least respecting each other's position...

Oh well, time to move on. Gonna pick up my stuff next weekend and that's that then.

#3582436 - 05/29/12 10:55 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
Sorry to hear about the angst, RSColonel_131st. You'll recover and find something better, I am sure.

You and I tangled on the forums years ago, and I can't even remember what it was about. Number of rivets, flight models, or, more probably, some political BS. I've always felt bad about that, so I just want you to know that I wish you the best.

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
#3582450 - 05/29/12 11:20 PM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
That's a bummer, RSColonel_131st. I know the "dumped" feeling you're talking about. I joined a band and was only with them a couple months. I wasn't really a good fit and was thinking of bailing anyway, but when the drummer called to let me know that we should "part ways" (I think that's what he said), I felt like I had just been dumped.

They ended up breaking up a few months later anyway. To be honest, they were about 3-4 years younger than me and thought they could "make it." They prioritized the band with that thought in mind. For me, it was just a fun hobby. It was right after I had graduated from college and had started working full time. They weren't even old enough to drink yet...

On the other hand, I was in a band in college with my roommates. We recorded a (crappy) demo, played parties and even at a couple bars/clubs. It was one of the most fun things I've ever done. We new it was just for fun and tried not to let being in a band get in the way of our friendship (but anyone who's seen VH1's "Behind the Music" knows that isn't possible biggrin ). In fact, the drummer and I are still writing and recording music together thanks to modern technology and the wonders of the internet...

What's my point? I don't really know... I guess I'm just saying I've been there and know how you feel. When you have time to play, look online or something for some people that want to have FUN and possibly play music in the process. Fun and playing with friends is what it's all about.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3582589 - 05/30/12 07:40 AM Re: So I'm no no longer a Bassist :-( [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Jugs, I've not held that against you for years wink but I really appreciate the sentiment.

Malibu, your situation sounds similar, just that I've been there 36 months and now suddenly they decide to "go for it"?

I think part of what's happening is that the singer will have his first child in fall, and seems to now ditch all other hobbies besides the band (for he knows he won't be able to have time for more than one commitment). And suddenly that's expected from everyone else too.

At least I get some cash out of it, as they'll have to pay off the equipment we bought togehter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.