Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3577026 - 05/22/12 12:50 AM Re: What rules do you use to survive? ... (how not to get killed - Dicta for campaigners) ***** [Re: Fishingnut]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Fishingnut
Originally Posted By: Lagarto
Originally Posted By: Fishingnut
Friendly ack-ack and flak units would not engage an enemy in real life over the field if a friendly plane is in pursuit. They would stand down and lay off due to the risk of hitting the friendly.

During the New Year's battle over Y-29, friendly ack-ack was firing indiscriminately at anything in the air, friend and foe alike. A few days earlier they killed George Preddy, who just happened to be in hot pursuit of enemy fighters.
Well that's shows you how stupid it is to do that. And I bet after that it was stopped or toned down. Plus, you obviously didn't read where I said it was 'unlikely'. I never said it was impossible, never claimed it never happened one single time. The officers in charge of the anti-aircraft at that place should have been court martialed!! The gunners apparently were not well trained in silouette ID and for sure were not disciplined.

I'll continue to refly in the case of friendly ground fire downing me, it's just stupid. It just didn't happen very often. Just because you know of one single instance, suddenly it was commonplace? It just wasn't, hit refly and be more on the realistic side. Or not, it's your campaign loss, not mine. We are all free to play as we want.

The Friendly AAA gunners shot the C-47's carrying the Paratroopers all to heck when they invaded Sicily.

Source: http://www.americainwwii.com/articles/2010/friendly-fires-deadliest-day.html
Quote:
One night in July 1943, US guns at Gela, Sicily, hurled fire at unseen planes overhead. The result was the war’s worst friendly fire incident.

By Robert F. Dorr

Troop transport planes carrying American paratroopers careened all over the sky, bursting into flames, disintegrating, spraying men in all directions. “It was horrible,” recalls Charles E. Pitzer, who was a captain and pilot of one of the planes.

Text removed

At the time, the shoot-down over Gela was the worst friendly-fire incident in US history. Three hundred eighteen American soldiers were killed or wounded. Twenty-three transport planes failed to return; others limped back to Tunisia badly damaged, one riddled with 1,000 holes; many landed with blood all over their floorboards. Brigadier General Charles L. Keerans, Jr., the 82nd Airborne’s assistant commander, was aboard a plane that was lost at sea.

The Germans shot up their own Airforce during Operation Bodenplatte.
Operation Bodenplatte: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bodenplatte

Source: http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/F/r/Friendly_Fire.htm
Quote:
Fighters had to be careful about engaging enemy aircraft close to their own forces, whose antiaircraft gunners often fired on both aircraft with fine impartiality. Early in the war, many Allied aircraft had identifying insignia containing red circles; these were quickly changed so that they could not be mistaken for the distinctive Japanese hinomaru or Rising Sun disk.

I think if you do some more research you will find that Friendly Fire incidents happened more frequently than you realize.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3577112 - 05/22/12 03:45 AM Re: What rules do you use to survive? ... (how not to get killed - Dicta for campaigners) [Re: Avimimus]  
Lupus Offline
Lupus  Offline

United States
Some very simple rules for staying alive.

1. Altitude is Life, Stay above the fight to keep the advantage. Sacrifice E with the greatest reluctance.
2. Keep your head on a swivel and stay alert for enemy aircraft, even when you think you and your opponent are the only ones in the air.
3. Fire only when the enemy fills your reticule (if in combat with another fighter, that means they are within 100 yards/meters)
4. Be stingy with your ammo, there is never enough. Get close and then closer before you shoot, and fire in short bursts.
5. Attack bombers with the greatest caution. They can shoot back.
6. Attack ALL fighters from the rear, they can't shoot back.

My Golden Rule:
"If your in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right."

If you haven't read it yet, I would recommend In Pursuit, a Pilots Guide to Online Air Combat

It can be found here: http://pilotpress.wordpress.com/in-pursuit/

#3649238 - 09/23/12 12:36 AM Re: What rules do you use to survive? ... (how not to get killed - Dicta for campaigners) [Re: Avimimus]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
The origins (read 'veracity') of the following document are debated - but it is still a useful Dicta...

Originally Posted By: "J16Klouse"
The other day a few of my friends on New Wings asked me if I would post up things of my Grandfather's Diary upon the fourms. I'll get around to that, but I will list some things he used as tactics ( personal ones ) he made and figured out throughout the first World War.

Brief history : He had a brother. They both joined the Kriegsmarine at ages 17 and 19 before going over to the Luftstreitkräfte at ages 19 and 21. My Grandfether, Wolfgang Klouse, was killed in action June 3, 1918. His brother, Wolfram Klouse was killed June 16, 1918. Months before the end of the war.

1.)

" As ordered by the ( die ) Oberst, we are obligated not to fly lower than (6,000ft) above the No-Man's-Land, fearing the worst from the anti-areal fire and the guns of the shattered French below in the trenches. It is added to my knowledge of this when seeing a friend, Gefreiter Hauns van Schaldun take a bullet to his chest, presumed before diving the some 800 meter down as we crossed over back from routine patrol. "

2.) " Engaging is exciting and frightful expirence. I have been learned from the French to fire in bursts, some three to five segments before holding a few ( 1-2 seconds ) before continueing burst. Aim up and to the right some forty-five degrees to lead the bullets into the engine of the ( aircraft ). "

3.) " When in persuit, it is mandatory you cover your rear with a glance every three to eight seconds, for he may have a friend despirate to save him. Due to this, you keep a 25-45 meter distance from you if single-engine/seat, so if the pilot is struck dead, or pulls in any motion, you have approiate time to adjust or roll. If the aircraft is holding two men, you are to dive from above or under the aircraft. We were tought to aim for the gunner then the engine, but I believe this isn't right. I learn to dive and attack the engine as you go down, pull up harshly to their underbelly and fire into the engine from below to force them down. Staying alive is entirely up to the wellfare of the pilot and his expirence. "

4.) " Identification is vital when you are in clusters. A friendly Albatros ( D.Va presumed ) placed six ( 6 ) holes in the carcus of one ( a ) Pfalz D.IIIa this evening, one gazeing the pilot's shoulder. It is dangerous to fight these Newport( Neu ) aircraft, due to the similarity with the Pfalz's lower wing. Both standard color of silver and white. "

5.) " A grave fear both Wolfram and I possess is burning from high. When you begin to leak fuel, wave off the victor and decrease speed. If your engine begins to smoke, open the radiator fully before going down at a decent angle, depending on wing and tail damages and responses. If it begins to heavily somke, cut the eingine off and dive down, fifty to a hundred meters full radiator. When you get to 500 meter, you should throw you ( goggles ) over and embrace impact, flattening your back to your chair as you clear for open fields to land in. If none, dive down before pulling up harshly so your tail would catch whatever is in the way to lessen the chance of injury from a direct crash. Hold in tight to your aircraft and stay within, tuck your head to your lap to avoid wood flying through. A pistol in your pocket provides a quick way out if you lose a wing up high, or do not wish to take the land. "

These were written years between, but that is all I am giving for a while. You've gotta learn your own tactics to survive this bloody war too.

~ Oberst Wolfgang Klouse, Jagdstaffeln 16.

Last edited by Avimimus; 09/24/12 12:37 AM.
#3649244 - 09/23/12 12:54 AM Re: What rules do you use to survive? ... (how not to get killed - Dicta for campaigners) [Re: Avimimus]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
-Don't follow wounded Russians home.
-When in Russia (or anywhere other than the ETO) keep a close watch on your engagement time and leave when you know you are supposed to.
-Ditching in the desert usually does not work out.
-Getting that last shot on a bomber is never worth it.
-Don't follow the bad guy down to the deck/Never give up energy.
-Keep your flight together, they are better than nothing.
-Don't try to win the war yourself.

#3649677 - 09/24/12 12:37 AM Re: What rules do you use to survive? ... (how not to get killed - Dicta for campaigners) [Re: Avimimus]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/inpursuit.pdf

#3651621 - 09/27/12 06:11 AM Re: What rules do you use to survive? ... (how not to get killed - Dicta for campaigners) [Re: Avimimus]  
FilthyApe1961 Offline
FilthyApe1961  Offline

Concord, Ca U.S.A.
What has been working for me is as follows:

First I always fly with the Luftwaffe, I always fly the FW190--and I always outfit my FW-190 with the MK108 30mm cannon--and I nearly always fly on 'The Western Front';
I call for reinforcements as early as is feasible; after loitering for a while I look at the map & lead my troops towards any enemy
"pulk" that is withdrawing; if they're bombers I try to cut them off before they get to the coast; if they're fighters I approach at high speed from the rear with as much an altitude advantage as I can get. Invariably, catching the 'indians' as they withdraw usually means they are often low on munitions or suffering from damage already.

Last edited by NickM; 09/29/12 06:06 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.