Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3572362 - 05/14/12 02:00 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: Nimits]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: Nimits
Originally Posted By: robtek
Reading about the objectives, I am curious if the designers realize that Wick (or Dundas, or most any other fighter pilot) did not actually shoot down all the planes they were credited with. If you have to match Wick's score in actual planes shot down (vs planes claimed shot down), you are really doing something superhuman . . .

Interesting theory, impossible to prove, of course, but interesting anyway.

My opinion differs as i don't like such generalisations.

Shores/Cull, Ford, and Lundstrom (among others) have proved it in regards to the PTO/CBI; similar work has been done for the the ETO (most of which I have admittedly not yet read). Shoot, we know the Luftwaffe overclaimed significantly during BoB . . . otherwise, they actually would have knocked the RAF out of the sky in the first couple of weeks of the battle, had their claims been true. And they knew it. Just about every intelligence service in WWII used some fraction of aircraft reported shot down when calculating actual damage done to the enemy.

Reminds me of this smile.

"AIR VICE MARSHAL EVILL
[ACM Dowding is sitting at his desk reading reports. The phone buzzes. AVM Evill picks up the phone] Yes? [listens] Yes, one moment [turns to ACM Dowding] The Air Minister, sir. on the scrambler.

MARSHALL SIR HUGH DOWDING
[picks up green scrambler phone] Yes?

MINISTER
Ah, Dowding. Er. Look. Our people in Washington are having trouble with the American Press. It's about today's figures. German sources there are saying that our claims are wildly exaggerated.

[listens, but says nothing]

MINISTER
Hello? Are you there Dowding?

I'm here Minister.

MINISTER
Well I mean, can you verify the figures?

[clears throat] I'm not very interested in propaganda. If we're right, they'll give up. If we are wrong, they'll be in London in a week!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3573233 - 05/15/12 03:51 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Veteran66 Offline
Veteran66  Offline

Heidelberg in Germany
Hi "Wick vs Dundas" owners
we make today 15.5.12 a Update to fix the Desastersoft radio call, please push the update button
smile

Last edited by NSU; 05/15/12 03:53 PM.
#3573394 - 05/15/12 07:48 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
And in case you can't remember how to update (I couldn't biggrin ) go to the Desastersoft folder in your start menu and you will see the Update command there...

This corrects the 'voice/text-overs' that accompany a lot of the mission triggers and waypoints...

[Linked Image]
#3573598 - 05/16/12 03:01 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Veteran66 Offline
Veteran66  Offline

Heidelberg in Germany
ohh

yes HeinKill smile

the Desastersoft Updater you find in the Windows start menu cool

#3574937 - 05/18/12 04:06 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Thought I would check out the update and see how the radio commands work. Made a little video, of a typical Wick vs Dundas mission. You'll see the wonderfully busy airfields, nicely scripted mission, and a little surprise - the mission is ostensiblty to bomb Rye RDF, but...well, as you'll see...the radio commands allow the mission designer to change things up for the player!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJGzpHNb0M

Recommend watching full screen so you can read the radio text.

This is a very nice recreation of a historical mission by EpG 210 which put a broad span of British radar out of action...for about 24 hours. Mobile stations were up within hours and the RDF masts back on line the next day.

Mini version here, but you won't be able to read...

[Linked Image]
#3575008 - 05/18/12 06:03 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
BodyBag Offline
BodyBag  Offline

Denmark
Nice video!

Seems like Desastersoft has made this half-baked sim into something like a real game.

Maybe it's time to buy CoD & the add-on and have an old-school pilot-experience with a proper campaign, stats and promotions.

Good thing about it is, I can get CoD for around 10 Euro now, and I have avoided all the aggro surrounding this "game" since the fiasco-release!

Cheers,

HeinKill, er du dansker?

Last edited by BodyBag; 05/18/12 06:05 PM.

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap"
- Napoleon Bonaparte -
#3575378 - 05/19/12 03:56 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
That's is actually pretty awesome . . . though they definately need to work on the English translations . . . smile

#3575421 - 05/19/12 07:04 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Veteran66 Offline
Veteran66  Offline

Heidelberg in Germany
nice Video HeinKill smile

#3575429 - 05/19/12 07:41 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: BodyBag]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
I'd say they definitely have added a game to the sim. Yes, the translations are awkward sometimes, but their translator does it in his spare time, and its a small scale operation, so I can live with it. Wish I could speak German, it would be better in its native language.

Originally Posted By: BodyBag
HeinKill, er du dansker?

Nej bare middlertidlig fanget i Danmark wink

[Linked Image]
#3575438 - 05/19/12 08:11 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: Nimits]  
Veteran66 Offline
Veteran66  Offline

Heidelberg in Germany
That's is actually pretty awesome . . . though they definately need to work on the English translations . . . smile

We try to talk our radio calls like the time in WWII, so it is very hard for our translater to translate this dialect to english. smile

#3575716 - 05/19/12 09:28 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Well, maybe they could get a native English speaker or two to quality check the translations, so at least the words and syntax make sense . . . maybe in exchange for a free copy or something . . .

#3576605 - 05/21/12 01:05 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Hello,

Did anybody try this with Alpha Patch AND minifix-fix as per here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/266/1/IL_2_Sturmovik_Cliffs_of_Dover.html

I read about crashes of this campaign with Alpha Patch so I thought mini-fix could help.

Cheers,
Dirk.

#3576727 - 05/21/12 05:39 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
In Desastersoft's FAQ:
Quote:
Before installing "Fighter Aces! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas" you have to uninstall the open beta. Uninstall the open beta and "Fighter Aces! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas" and then reinstall "Fighter Aces! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas".

What exactly is "open beta" they refer to?

Thanks,
Dirk.

#3576755 - 05/21/12 06:12 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
There's an open beta for the WvD campaign, I didn't have to uninstall mine when I bought the full version though, just run the updater afterwards, saves your campaign progress.

#3576774 - 05/21/12 06:36 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Cheesehawk, I bought, installed and updated WvD campaign today. I haven't run it yet. Where's the open beta for WvD btw?

Also, did you try to run it with COD Alpha patch + mini fix?

Thanks,
Dirk.

#3576954 - 05/21/12 10:47 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: DocW]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Dirk,

I'm not sure if I found the open beta on deasastersoft's website long ago, but it's exactly the same size as the demo version they have on there now. I believe it's the same, but was beta when they were working on translations to English (Thomas Voss could confirm if that's the case for us.)

I have applied both the Alpha patch, and the Alpha patch + fix, you definitely need the fix, especially if you are playing the LW JG2 campaign.

#3577154 - 05/22/12 06:37 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: HeinKill]  
BodyBag Offline
BodyBag  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
I'd say they definitely have added a game to the sim. Yes, the translations are awkward sometimes, but their translator does it in his spare time, and its a small scale operation, so I can live with it. Wish I could speak German, it would be better in its native language.

HeinKill, er du dansker?

Poor you,- get out while you can... wink

Cheers,

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap"
- Napoleon Bonaparte -
#3577208 - 05/22/12 10:41 AM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: BodyBag]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

HeinKill, er du dansker?

Poor you,- get out while you can... wink

Cheers,

Are you kidding - Denmark in summer is the business - sun shining, 26C, fridge full of Carls Classic, had the years' third BBQ last night (I measure the non winter months by the number of BBQs achieved), daylight until 1030pm, my local football team is top of the Superliga...the list goes on. Ask me again in October when that cold wind starts blowing again...but then it isn't long until the Turborg beer elves arrive with the free Christmas beers.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i4szIPzhpXg/Sy...ige_800x600.jpg
Warning, forumites offended by images of young Danish women dressed as an elf do not click on above link!

The reason I mention all this is that my Cliffs of Dover productivity rate is going to dive dramatically in coming months...

H

[Linked Image]
#3577333 - 05/22/12 02:37 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: HeinKill]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
[

Are you kidding - Denmark in summer is the business - sun shining, 26C, fridge full of Carls Classic, had the years' third BBQ last night (I measure the non winter months by the number of BBQs achieved), daylight until 1030pm, my local football team is top of the Superliga...the list goes on. Ask me again in October when that cold wind starts blowing again...but then it isn't long until the Turborg beer elves arrive with the free Christmas beers.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i4szIPzhpXg/Sy...ige_800x600.jpg
Warning, forumites offended by images of young Danish women dressed as an elf do not click on above link!

Has your couch been booked yet? wink

#3577604 - 05/22/12 09:50 PM Re: Fliegerasse! Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas arrived today [Re: cheesehawk]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Originally Posted By: cheesehawk
Dirk,

I'm not sure if I found the open beta on deasastersoft's website long ago, but it's exactly the same size as the demo version they have on there now. I believe it's the same, but was beta when they were working on translations to English (Thomas Voss could confirm if that's the case for us.)

I have applied both the Alpha patch, and the Alpha patch + fix, you definitely need the fix, especially if you are playing the LW JG2 campaign.

Thanks, cheesehawk.

Dirk.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.