Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 254 of 384 1 2 252 253 254 255 256 383 384
#4571458 - 06/10/21 06:24 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Eh, I haven't watched wrasslin' in about a decade, but I've been to Wrestlemania and sat on the floor(a wealthy buddy bought us all tickets and took us), and it was a blast. I've been to a few other of their events, also, and one for ECW. Fake as hell, yes, but the drama is basically "soap opera for testosterone loving males."

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4571460 - 06/10/21 06:26 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wormfood]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood

Same reason people watch bad movies, only WWE has better stunts.

I watch bad movies too but only via the Mystery Science Theater or Rifftrax treatment. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4571473 - 06/10/21 08:53 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by wormfood

Same reason people watch bad movies, only WWE has better stunts.

I watch bad movies too but only via the Mystery Science Theater or Rifftrax treatment. smile

That is the best way.

#4571488 - 06/11/21 12:55 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
I watched "World at War" ep 1 . 1933-1939
The first time I have seen the series as an adult actually. I saw it as a kid on public broadcasting back in the 70s. Even after one episode, World at War is still the best WWII documentary I have ever seen. Not only is the footage outstanding, but the interviews with so many people who actual lived through the experience is unique considering it was only about 30 years after the events.

Only about half of the episodes are available on youtube, but I am going to order the 2010 blu ray restored set.

#4571503 - 06/11/21 10:38 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That is indeed an outstanding WW II documentary Tarnsman and I also remember seeing bits and pieces of it as a kid in the 70's.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4571846 - 06/15/21 04:22 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I tried to watch two movies this weekend:

1) "Greenland" -- I don't normally watch disaster movies, as they tend to be cliche, predictable, and often based on a stupid, nonsensical premise that goes against scientific reason. This film seemed to be somewhat plausible--but gee, when was the last time we saw a asteroid impact movie? Those have never been made, right? I kid. "Armageddon" was stupid entertaining in its own right, but the last disturbing, yet good one I saw was 1984's "Night of the Comet," and that wasn't even an asteroid impact movie! I do recall 1979's "Meteor," which as a child the prospect of a 1.2 mile wide asteroid turning us into another post-dinosaur wasteland was pretty terrifying. The resultant nuke launch to stop the tumbling boulder was... comical. I digress, we're talking about "Greenland" here... Which, was a mess of cliches and twists of plot that Deus Ex himself would find Machina enough to suicide after seeing the number of "acts of God" that happened to split folks up and bring them back together again. Wait, didn't I just suggest this would be as such? Alas, it was somewhat entertaining throughout the mess, as these tend to be, but in the end I felt as if I had eaten a slice of cherry pie without any real cherries inside, but instead sugary coal-infused briquettes of artificial flavor and that post-sugar bomb dissatisfaction of an empty, growling stomach. ** 1/2 out of ****. I am being very generous, I suppose. By the way, ****spoiler alert**** nine months later sun had returned to our skies and folks were free to start over again, science of atmospheric debris blankets be damned.

2) "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" -- If anyone has seen this, please feel free to share your two cents. I came for knights, armor, swords, combat and plot, because... Guy Ritchie, right? So I pressed the play button, munched on some deliberately buttered popcorn... and what did I see? Giant elephants the size of skyscrapers and a burning Sauron's eye... Click. I turned off the film. That was enough of that. I made it nigh only a minute in before I shut this one down. One measly star out of four. What a piece of crap. I realize I should watch a film in entirety before reviewing, but the wafts of dung heap from this train wreck were too strong, so I'm erecting "Do Not Enter" signs now. Who has watched this completely? Is there any redeeming value? Is it worth enduring the farce of a start?

3) "Black Mirror Season 2, Episode 1" -- Ahh, real science fiction again. Great and thoughtful as always. Only forty five minutes of show, but better than that Arturian crap train I had leapt from. *** 1/2 out of ****, despite the depressing subject matter this episode dealt with.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/15/21 04:32 PM.
#4571851 - 06/15/21 05:11 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

1) "Greenland" -- I don't normally watch disaster movies, as they tend to be cliche, predictable, and often based on a stupid, nonsensical premise that goes against scientific reason. This film seemed to be somewhat plausible--but gee, when was the last time we saw a asteroid impact movie? Those have never been made, right? I kid. "Armageddon" was stupid entertaining in its own right, but the last disturbing, yet good one I saw was 1984's "Night of the Comet," and that wasn't even an asteroid impact movie! I do recall 1979's "Meteor," which as a child the prospect of a 1.2 mile wide asteroid turning us into another post-dinosaur wasteland was pretty terrifying. The resultant nuke launch to stop the tumbling boulder was... comical. I digress, we're talking about "Greenland" here... Which, was a mess of cliches and twists of plot that Deus Ex himself would find Machina enough to suicide after seeing the number of "acts of God" that happened to split folks up and bring them back together again. Wait, didn't I just suggest this would be as such? Alas, it was somewhat entertaining throughout the mess, as these tend to be, but in the end I felt as if I had eaten a slice of cherry pie without any real cherries inside, but instead sugary coal-infused briquettes of artificial flavor and that post-sugar bomb dissatisfaction of an empty, growling stomach. ** 1/2 out of ****. I am being very generous, I suppose. By the way, ****spoiler alert**** nine months later sun had returned to our skies and folks were free to start over again, science of atmospheric debris blankets be damned.

2) "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" -- If anyone has seen this, please feel free to share your two cents. I came for knights, armor, swords, combat and plot, because... Guy Ritchie, right? So I pressed the play button, munched on some deliberately buttered popcorn... and what did I see? Giant elephants the size of skyscrapers and a burning Sauron's eye... Click. I turned off the film. That was enough of that. I made it nigh only a minute in before I shut this one down. One measly star out of four. What a piece of crap. I realize I should watch a film in entirety before reviewing, but the wafts of dung heap from this train wreck were too strong, so I'm erecting "Do Not Enter" signs now. Who has watched this completely? Is there any redeeming value? Is it worth enduring the farce of a start?

#1 Didn't you know that Gerard Butler is the unofficial "go to" guy for starring in moronic disaster movies? If you have 2 hours to waste also check out "Geostorm".

#2 Once you've seen the brilliance of "Excalibur" you will never again waste any time watching any other Arthurian legend film adaptation. The Guy Ritchie directed film you watched flopped at the box office and it flopped HARD.

#4571852 - 06/15/21 05:20 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
To be honest, I watched "Greenland" because Morena Baccarin was starring in the film, second to the science fiction.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/15/21 05:20 PM.
#4571853 - 06/15/21 05:22 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
To be honest, I watched "Greenland" because Morena Baccarin was starring in the film, second to the science fiction.

At least Morena has managed to have a pretty high profile and successful career post Firefly. Several people from that cast fizzled out and disappeared after Firefly.

#4572311 - 06/20/21 03:25 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
About 30 min. ago I was working in my bedroom office, wife was doing her usual Sunday morning catching up on recorded TV. I hear her scream at me to come into the living room.

"That's you!"
"Say wha?"

She has it paused on a show called "Young Sheldon"...

This heavyset middle-aged dude drives up in a Fiero GT blasting out REO Speedwagon's "Take It On The Run." Lol. biggrin She says the show is set in the late-80's, might have to check it out.

Attached Files DSCF5005.JPG

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4572347 - 06/20/21 10:15 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
She says the show is set in the late-80's, might have to check it out.

They shouldn't have been using "Take it on the Run" then since that was a big hit song in 1981 and REO Speedwagon was already well past its mainstream appeal by the late 80's.

#4572352 - 06/20/21 11:03 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by MarkG
She says the show is set in the late-80's, might have to check it out.

They shouldn't have been using "Take it on the Run" then since that was a big hit song in 1981 and REO Speedwagon was already well past its mainstream appeal by the late 80's.

You're not thinking in middle age, PM. smile Heck, "Take It On The Run" is *still* a popular hit with me! band

In any case, here's some #'s:

Actor Lance Barber: 47 (real age), 44 when show (season 2) aired.
"Young Sheldon" Setting: 1990 (wife says the kid wrote "1989" on a notebook in season 1 and this is season 2?).
Sooo... playing age ~44 in 1990 = character born 1946... 18 in 1964... 35 in 1981 when the song was released.

I dunno, PM. <shrug> We know the Fiero cannot be new (also includes aftermarket trim and wheels) but close to new. Was this a poor man's mid-life crisis sportscar purchase? Wife doesn't think so, something about a job relocation. But let's assume it is a MC (appears to be to me). When a man has one of these in the traditional sense (assuming it's actually a thing), does his music go back to age ~18 (as mine has), or embraces current music to be hip (1990... pre-Nirvana, Guns N' Roses)? If the former, he would be listening to... Beatles, 'Stones and Cream?

Am I overthinking this? biggrin

Last edited by MarkG; 06/20/21 11:52 PM. Reason: corrected for season 2 airing in 2018

The sun is in the east
#4572356 - 06/21/21 12:59 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Hehe...

Young Sheldon 2x9 Red Fiero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7Hp4Qj6Fk

Fiero In Young Sheldon Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSBhCwRJz4

The sun is in the east
#4572429 - 06/21/21 11:34 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
10 episodes into Manifest on Netflix. It's not bad, but I have to admit, I thought it was only 10 episodes. Not really looking forward to plodding through 6 more episodes.

#4572433 - 06/22/21 01:09 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Started watching this on Amazon Prime.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4572475 - 06/22/21 05:09 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I watched two movies over the weekend:

1) "Careful What You Wish For" -- I have an admission: I used to enjoy 80s/90s erotic thrillers. I suppose that they being a derivative of 40s/50s noir film has something to do with it, and also how some of these erotic thrillers actually had good plots and writing helped. Many did not. Most were trash--sometimes in a filthy, seedy, juicy kind of way, while others were just awful. For the most part, though, you were guaranteed pleasant faces aplenty in the films, so they weren't hard to at least look at. This film promised some of the throwback, at least on premise. In execution, however, we got a very pretty australian girl, a dumb hunk who falls for her, and a bunch of trouble that follows, as is par for the course. Unlike the well written films of past, this one doesn't have the chops to pull off a startling twist that we were really shocked by, nor cared about. I mean, he's a dumb kid who's getting some poon--seen that, been there, don't really care about the dude otherwise. If it weren't for the hottie and somewhat entertaining first half, I would have rated this lower. Not bad, not great, not awful, it was... fair. ** out of ****.

2) "Lawless" -- I knew nothing of this film, but the premise seemed interesting enough. Bootleggers vs. the law in the 1930s prohibition era. I wasn't expecting Scorsese level of awesome here, heck, much of anything, really. I knew that Shia LeDouche was in the film(yes, I actually enjoy him more as years ago by in film because, well, I'm an a-hole myself, so I appreciate the fine subtleties of a-holedom). Jessica Chastain was a bonus. This film surprised me! Way better than expected, and was excellent. Good film! *** 1/2 out of ****

#4572476 - 06/22/21 05:15 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I haven't seen either of those films but I was surprised about how "Lawless" came and went from movie theaters and was quickly forgotten about considering the cast it had (especially Tom Hardy). I guess it was mostly the setting and subject matter.

When it comes to Prohibition/gangster era films I don't think anything can top "The Untouchables".

#4572478 - 06/22/21 05:24 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
"The Untouchables" is a classic, along with "Goodfellas" and "The Godfather." Different eras, but all from a similar lineage. I guess I could include "Scarface" in this mix. They're all awesome and timeless.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/22/21 05:24 PM.
#4572479 - 06/22/21 05:29 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I guess I could include "Scarface" in this mix. They're all awesome and timeless.

One of the many interesting things about the Brian De Palma "Scarface" is that most people (including me for a long time) don't know that it's a remake of a 1932 film by the same name. The city was changed though from Chicago to Miami.

#4572483 - 06/22/21 06:48 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
The newest Scarface remake, that's been floated for years, is supposed to be set in Los Angeles.

It'll certainly watch it if its ever released, although I expect it'll be nowhere near as cutting edge and significant for its time as the first two movies.

Page 254 of 384 1 2 252 253 254 255 256 383 384

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.