Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3571003 - 05/11/12 11:09 AM DayZ, a zombie survival game  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
There's already a small thread about it the Arma forum, but I think the game really deserves a bit more attention.

Ok, what is this about?

It's about DayZ a multiplayer mod for ArmA 2 that's all about surviving the zombie apocalypse. The game features a semi-persistent world where your character's progress is stored on a central server. It's still an alpha, so there are bugs, problems, unfinished features and lots of work still to do.

But even in its current state it's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

If you start playing DayZ you start somewhere at the coast of Chernarus, with some basic equipment, a pistol and ammo.

You're alone, you have no map, co compass, no GPS. The game tells you the name of the nearest city and that's it. So, I start walking until I find a road, then follow it to the next settlement. Chernarus is BIG. Prepare to spend a lot of time travelling. After a couple of minutes I finally find a town.

Great! I check my map (the one I printed out thankfully has both Cyrillic and Latin names) and find my position. Feels better now. And a town means houses! Maybe weapons and food! And Zombies... While carefully walking down the road I eventually hear an eerie moaning. I continue on my way when suddenly the moaning turns into an angry scream! Before I know what happens a zombie runs towards me! Damn, that guy is fast! With more luck than skill I put a round from my Makarov in his head before he tears me apart. More screams! Other zombies have been alerted my the shooting! I kill two more, then realize one has hit me, I'm bleeding. I bandage myself and continue my way. Maybe some other survivor has heard my gunshots? Maybe we can band together?

Then I stumble upon bodies: two other survivors. Killed by gunshots. My blood freezes. Another one. And the remains of two bandits (player killers get a 'bandit' skin in DayZ). I've walked into a deathtrap!

In DayZ your most dangerous enemies are not the zombies, but other players. They can (and will) kill you for ammunition, food, or simply because they won't take any risks with armed strangers.

I decide to leave the coast and head inland as quickly as possible.

I find a small hamlet and, after dealing with the local zombie population search the place for stuff. Yay! Found a Lee Enfield rifle and some ammo!

Continuing to the next town...

Oh... killed the zombie pope...

Then it's shopping time! Lots of goodies in there.

Found a hunting knive and matches! Which means I can now gut animals for meat and make a fireplace to cook food.

Now I just need to find a... oh!

There'll be steaks for dinner tonight!

A little later I got stupid and tried to enter one of the big towns for loot. Got killed by a hidden sniper.

Which means you start from scratch, with your gear lost.

Yup, it's harsh. Accept it, because you will die. Sooner or later. Fortunately it doesn't take too long to find some decent equipment again.

Got me a Winchester, the perfect weapon to hunt wild, dangerous beasts!

Banded together with some buddies and had a great time exploring the world.

When playing DayZ with a buddy or three the game really shines. Not only are you much safer from single bandits and random guys shooting you in the back for a can of beans, the whole atmosphere really changes when you flush out a zombie horde from a village with a couple of buddies on TeamSpeak. If DayZ is a good game when played alone, it becomes awesome in a small group.

Hunting together

Entering a village

Finally: my home in the wilderness.

What do you need to play DayZ:

Arma2+Operation Arrowhead (Combined Operations)
The mod files, available here: http://www.dayzmod.com/downloads.php

Finally some words of advice:

1.) itsabeta Actually, it's an Alpha. If you want a polished, finished experience, wait for the release version.
2.) You WILL get killed. Especially if you enter one of the "PvP hotspots"
3.) No, it's not fair. You might play for hours, finding great equipment only to get killed by some dude for a can of beans. Or teh lolz.
4.) there's no campaign missions, no cinematics, no achievements and no sex with aliens.
5.) it's a zombie survival sandbox. Create your own story.
6.) the game takes time. This is no Call of Duty. Simply travelling the map will take time.
7.) the servers currently are hammered by a massive influx of new players. Be patient.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 05/11/12 11:18 AM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3571116 - 05/11/12 02:43 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
JMark Offline
JMark  Offline

Oklahoma City, OK
I don't have Arma2, but this looks intriguing! So many promising mods like this never end up getting released. If this one ever reaches a fairly stable/polished state I would love to play it.

#3571199 - 05/11/12 05:38 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Very interesting

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3571223 - 05/11/12 06:21 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Nice post Para_Bellum just started playing this last night, very good mod with great atmosphere, reminds me of STALKER but with sneaky humans to look out for... the zombies are at least predictable.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3571268 - 05/11/12 07:56 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
The zombies are just an obstacle, people are the real threat. Day Z is absolutely amazing, it even has Arma2:CO back in the top sellers on steam.

Commence to Jigglin'
#3571329 - 05/11/12 09:41 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Are you able to stock up on the gear? ie, find a new gun or a second identical gun and store it on your tent/base so that when you are killed, you have the backup gear?

- Ice
#3571339 - 05/11/12 09:53 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The starting from scratch would ruin it for me. I don't have the patience. LOL
So as players are killed, or taken down by zombies, do they turn?

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3571348 - 05/11/12 10:07 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Jeevz]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Jeevz
The zombies are just an obstacle, people are the real threat. Day Z is absolutely amazing, it even has Arma2:CO back in the top sellers on steam.

Yeah I just came off a server where I spotted and followed a survivor like me for a while and he was oblivious and not running in cover or anything and then sure enough I saw a bandit pick him up and move in for the kill so I snuck up on the bandit and killed him as he was setting up for the ambush and shared his gear with the "bait" survivor, then we went exploring together for a bit before a mob of zombies got us both hehe biggrin

Very fun mod, especially for an alpha and there are lots of ways to play it.

As far as losing the gear, it is no problem since it is plentyful to find new gear, and also if you exit out of the game somewhere safe away from town when you resume even on another server all your gear is still there. So you only lose it when you die, which I think really adds to the great anxiety/horror aspect of the game.

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
The starting from scratch would ruin it for me. I don't have the patience. LOL
So as players are killed, or taken down by zombies, do they turn?

So far I have not seen the dead humans turn into zombies, just live zombies where I know I killed some a few minutes before, but I have not hung around for long since the sound of gunshots tends to attract more zombies and also bandits, and I am paranoid even when looting the corpses that someone is getting a bead on me.

Last edited by kludger; 05/11/12 10:11 PM.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3571366 - 05/11/12 10:40 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Sounds interesting, here's hoping Steam have a sale on ArmaII soon smile

Are there any blunt or sharp weapons to use so's to attract less attention.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#3571367 - 05/11/12 10:44 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
This looks amazing!

I'll try to give it a go later.

#3571375 - 05/11/12 10:57 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I can't stress enough how much fun DayZ is for me.

I just spent 2-3 hours making my way to my buddies' hidden campsite. Cleared 3 villages and an airfield of Zombies, evaded a 4-man bandit group that tried to hunt me down and had an epic battle in a supermarket that in the end saw 15 Zombies dead. I've re-stocked the tent (content gets saved on the server) with some spare ammo, food and medical supplies then set up a 2nd campsite some distance away. Those camps will serve us as depots/stockpiles for future raids.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 05/11/12 10:58 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#3571420 - 05/12/12 12:06 AM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I can't stress enough how much fun DayZ is for me.

I just spent 2-3 hours making my way to my buddies' hidden campsite. Cleared 3 villages and an airfield of Zombies, evaded a 4-man bandit group that tried to hunt me down and had an epic battle in a supermarket that in the end saw 15 Zombies dead. I've re-stocked the tent (content gets saved on the server) with some spare ammo, food and medical supplies then set up a 2nd campsite some distance away. Those camps will serve us as depots/stockpiles for future raids.

Thanks for posting this Para.

I am so intrigued I have decided to get Arma2 just for this just as soon as I get my Mobo fixed.

What did you mean by "re-stocked the tent" ? Are you able to pitch a campsite inside the persistent game-world ? What about the security of the campsite contents when you are out and about exploring the world ?

I watched a youtube video on this and the uploader came across a Huey chopper flying overhead. Is this player repairable and controlled vehicle or an AI unit ? Video here :-

#3571428 - 05/12/12 12:18 AM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Yes, you can set up a tent (once you've found one) and "save" it so the tent (and its content) stays on the server (but only that specific server) when you login again or even after you've been killed. A tent has a number of slots (just like the personal backpacks) that can be used to store stuff. Only the player who set up the tent can break it down and take it again, but anyone can access the content. So it's a good idea to hide the tent in a remote place. 225^2 km do provide for a lot of space, thankfully. And yes, you can repair (and use) cars and helicopter, if you have found the right parts to repair them.

#3571450 - 05/12/12 01:10 AM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Very cool.

Is there any benefit to having a car or chopper?

#3571676 - 05/12/12 03:30 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Well, you get around the map far faster (and probably safer) than on foot.

#3571693 - 05/12/12 03:56 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Para_Bellum, which server do you frequent? Or do you go on whatever has space like I do? biggrin

Would like to join up with people I can trust as going it on my own isn't working out like I want.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3571716 - 05/12/12 04:40 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
This sounds very cool. LOL.. Definitely a time waster that I shouldn't try to play or I'll get sucked in.

How many people are on a server? How is server stability? I assume if a server crashes all the game data (caches and the like) are lost..?

When you band together with friends do you use a separate TS channel or something to communicate among yourselves?

#3571722 - 05/12/12 04:48 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Most servers have a max player list of 50-64 players and there are tons of servers full. It is actually hard to find a server to get into let alone get into with a group.

From what I played it seems stable.

#3571726 - 05/12/12 04:51 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Just played for the first time in about three weeks. I can't believe how many servers there are now! There were 4 when I started adn there are now around 80 or so!

Cool thing is my character was right where I left him with all his stuff, just a little hungry and thristy smile

Would really love to hook up with you guys. Maybe we could have a little SimHQ survivor meet up on a particular server? Would be great to have a SimHQ server wink

#3571742 - 05/12/12 05:13 PM Re: DayZ, a zombie survival game [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

It seems that the master server is down. You log in and get a "waiting for server" message but you never spawn in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.