f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
Very nice!

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3311510 - 06/05/11 09:06 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
Any updates?

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#3315501 - 06/10/11 01:18 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: PropNut]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Originally Posted By: PropNut
This is an impressive built Valisk, wish my CNC panels came out as nice as yours. I never thought to do the shaping, then paint them black, and then finish the lettering. Thanks for the idea. (Cute gremlin, bet he hopes to be at the controls sometimes).

Thanks Prop - I learned everything I know about building panels from Gene's site - there's some great reference stuff on there.

The gremlin really does want to be at the controls! The only problem is, he's at the age where repeatedly whacking a screwdriver against my lovingly applied aluminium skin is more fun!!

Thanks again for the encouraging comments chaps, I know it's taking an age - I get precious little time. The good news is that I've finally finished the structure (pics coming soon) - the next focus is building the throttle quadrant and hooking up some of the switchgear, at long last!

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe
#3315528 - 06/10/11 01:51 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
f15sim Offline
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
Valisk, any chance you'd release plans for that thing? smile

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
#3348116 - 07/22/11 10:46 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Hi Gene - I've already released a couple of copies of the plans - they're not anywhere near as comprehensive as your 109F/X, but if anyone is interested, just drop me a PM biggrin

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe
#3348123 - 07/22/11 11:03 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Update time...

I scored this little beauty off eBay:

After looking online it appears to be a pilot's seat as fitted in some Bombardier aircraft. I'm currently working out the best way of mounting it. Unfortunately, even in it's lowest height position, the seat is a little too high for the 'pit, so I've carefully removed the raise/lower mechanism.

I've also had a bit of time to start work on my throttle. Here's the X35T after the redundant rudder mechanism and other holes have been filled:

And then sanded down:

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3348130 - 07/22/11 11:17 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
To fill the large hole where the rudder paddle used to be, I cut some 3mm foam PVC to size and then heat formed it (using a halogen bulb as heat source) to match the curves of the throttle. A bit of hot glue to secure that in place and then I filled the gaps with Milliput epoxy putty - it's great stuff, very easy to work with so long as you keep a bowl of water handy to keep your fingers wet when working the putty into shape.

Here it is after a couple of coats of paint, plus the new switch positions drilled out. I decided to keep the primer finish on the lower half (I just liked the colour!) - the new throttle arm that I'm making will be in the primer colour too:

Here's the interior - you can see the hot glue/PVC/Milliput patch more clearly in this shot:

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3348137 - 07/22/11 11:41 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Here's a few pics with the switches in. I might yet spray the bottom half black, not sure yet (not that I'd ever see it when it's installed in the 'pit anyway!).

Those pot knobs will be getting replaced with some nice chunky knurled brass pieces - the shiny plastic is far too slippery. They look ok in the photos though.

The dark-topped switches are another eBay purchase, from a seller in Russia who said they were ex-military... I used them because they require a medium force to activate, but they give a nice tactile click. The white capped switches again give a nice click, but need much less pressure to activate, so I've used them for more common inputs (Push To Talk, for example).

Last edited by Valisk_61; 07/22/11 11:46 AM.

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3348442 - 07/22/11 05:13 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
f15sim Offline
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
Great job on the grip! Nice catch on the seat too. Hopefully it didn't cost you an arm and a leg!

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
#3360839 - 08/07/11 04:32 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Chappy Offline
Chappy  Offline

Anything new since the throttle? You wouldn't have any measurements laying around as to the plans to this would you? Top of the monitor to where the metal curves and height of the sides ? Front to back? I'm two weeks from beginning a pit along these lines of looks and function. My current pit is a sim cockpit systems fighter from. Looking to build something more immersive but generic. I've got my controls, lights and everything but the wood and paint. This build is really impressive.

I want you to see this coming
#3374403 - 08/25/11 08:39 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Hi Chappy - sorry I've not got back to you sooner, I missed your post. PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the plans. Thanks for the comments smile I've been working on the throttle/prop pitch/mixture box, I'll post up some pics once I've got the thing screwed together.

Gene - the seat was a bargain, I'd been keeping an eye on eBay for ages until something interesting finally came along at the right price.

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3375092 - 08/26/11 04:02 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Chappy Offline
Chappy  Offline

PM sent sir! beercheers

I want you to see this coming
#3569384 - 05/08/12 02:04 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Well... it's been a while...

I decided to stop work on the 'pit last summer. I needed to fork out for a new PC to run CLOD and there was no way I was going to spend that kind of cash to play a broken game.

Nearly a year later and things have actually gone backwards... CLOD has flatlined and is waiting for someone to turn off the ventilator... The modders are still happily hammering the final nails into IL2's online coffin...

The 'pit is just in the way now. I'm probably going to dismantle it and flat pack it just in case a new WWII game ever comes along, but it looks like it'll be a long wait. Actually, what I'd really like to do is ***hissy fit removed! nope ***.

Anyway, I need the space to finish this little project.

Happy 'pit building guys, hope to be back sometime in the future. smile

Last edited by Valisk_61; 08/29/13 01:32 PM.

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3569393 - 05/08/12 02:14 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Hey Gene - if you're still around and still have that copy of the plans I emailed over, would you be able to host them on your site for anyone that might find them useful?

Cheers,

Val

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3569455 - 05/08/12 04:07 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
f15sim Offline
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/valisk/valisk-cockpit-parts.dxf
http://www.diy-cockpits.org/valisk/valisk-cockpit-parts.ai

Note that I can't actually see any parts with the DXF file in DraftSight, so I expect something is funny with the .AI file. VCarve Pro opens the .AI file properly, but doesn't seem to be outputting a usable DXF when I do an export.

You might not want to give up on it yet Valisk. There's two new add-ons for CLOD that got reviewed here a short while ago and they appear to be pretty good. Full campaigns, career system, etc.

If anyone gets a good DXF out of that .AI file, please send it to me so I can update the download link with it.
(someone may want to create a new sticky topic where we can stick cad drawing links)

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
#3570407 - 05/10/12 10:14 AM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: f15sim]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Thanks Gene smile I've only ever tried to open the files in Cut2D - I'll see if I can get a working DXF file out of it.

To be honest, CLOD has worn me down. I don't have a shred of optimism left for it.

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

#3570554 - 05/10/12 04:03 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Lupus Offline
Lupus  Offline

United States
Originally Posted By: Valisk_61
Thanks Gene smile I've only ever tried to open the files in Cut2D - I'll see if I can get a working DXF file out of it.

To be honest, CLOD has worn me down. I don't have a shred of optimism left for it.

Which is why I own CLOD but still fly IL-2 1946. Experience with Silent Hunter taught me that it takes a whole lot to build a game to surpass a long loved classic (Silent Hunter III still has a loyal following, even though 4 and 5 have been released with mediocre results).

That said, I would love a good copy of your plans as I am getting ready to build a generic pit of my own, and while I have most of the design done, I love a lot of how you structured yours and would like to see plans so I can adapt mine.

#3911473 - 02/13/14 10:24 PM Re: Generic 'pit build [Re: Valisk_61]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
Well... it's been a while! smile

Ok, ok! I was completely wrong about CLoD smile I finally got around to getting a new PC and I've been flying on ATAG with the TF patches for a few months now and I'm loving every minute of it... And with BoS looking great too, its time to dig out some old projects. smile

The 'pit is still in storage, but we're hoping to move somewhere a little bigger, so as soon as that happens I'll start work on it again.

In the meantime, I decided to get the throttle in a usable state:

Version 1: (the toggle switches are OFF-(ON) momentary - not a particularly efficient use of space)

Version 2 - This is my take on what a 1940's HOTAS would have looked like! The switches with the bakelite tops are proper microswitches and have a lovely feel to them: (still in progress - I decided to do a proper job and get a BU0836A)

I also decided to mount an office chair base to the pilot's seat. It's wonderfully comfortable:

There's a nifty devicelink type app for CLoD - I think the next project will be to do some physical bezels to mount over the screen I use to display them.

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.