#3568117 - 05/06/12 04:58 AM DCS P-51 Vids  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Looks pretty good... very promising.

First Flight

Bail Out

Target Practice

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3568259 - 05/06/12 03:22 PM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
BBall Offline
BBall  Offline

Dresser, WI, USA
OUTSTANDING VIDS!

Love the airshow routine in the first one (very nice four point, aileron rolls, etc)! What camera are you using (the default F11 thingy)?

I also love the new bailout sequence. I’ve never done it from the pilot’s perspective…way cool. And if the sounds of that big Merlin screaming by in the 3rd vid don’t get your heart pumping, then well, you should maybe consult your physician…lol.

Again, great vids, I have a couple of “holdouts” in the LAN sqdrn that are on the fence about this thing, I’m going to point them to your vids! That should do the trick!

Thanks Bearcat for sharing them with us.

BBall

#3568302 - 05/06/12 04:35 PM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
So far, I'm really impressed with DCS: P-51D. There are aspects of the FM that I haven't seen appear in any PC sim to date. The external sounds are well done and internal sounds are well done too - though some buffeting effects would be much appreciated to extract all the performance out of the Pony ( reportedly these are coming). Obviously flying against other P-51s or Su-25s is sub-optimal, but the sim is wonderful, and just needs more aircraft of a similar fidelity.

Last edited by TX-EcoDragon; 05/06/12 04:39 PM.

S!
TX-EcoDragon

http://www.txsquadron.com
#3568311 - 05/06/12 05:19 PM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I didn't make these.. I found them on YT after a squaddie pointed out one of them.

How to Get and install the Beta
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87391

The only downside to this is... if they want to charge more than $5-$9 per new plane it will be problematic for me..

#3569211 - 05/08/12 03:56 AM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I will say this... One thing I have come to understand about myself.. When it comes to my simming .. I prefer 1936-1946 aircraft.. Now I can go a decade or so in either direction and still enjoy myself.. but that s the bee's knees for me.. so I went on and Pre Purchased the P-51.. Now you can get it in the Beta for free, along with DCS world.. but I figured what the hell and I wanted to get the key to unlock everything .. but even without purchasing it you can get into it and see somethings..

The level of detail as far as controls on this thing is just .. mind boggling.. Every control on the P-51 is modeled.. every one.. This is a Beta so I am sure that the final product will be an overall improvement... but this is just ...

I still have not flown it because I am trying to decide how I am going to do my stick.. All these guys who have said over the years that they want clickable pits, to see the pilots hands and feet ... etc etc.. this is it.. I tell you what.. If the FMs and DMs are as detailed as everything else in this product and ED goes retro and adds more classic warbirds and some more historic maps, the die hards will be all over this and 1C & Gaijin will have to step up their game BIG TIME.

I am actually more excited about trying to get this to run than I was about CoD.. because this looks much more promising..

#3569333 - 05/08/12 12:10 PM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
saf1 Offline
saf1  Offline

Denmark/Sweden
One thing is for sure if they release a 109/190 as a 2nd step the WWII sim people will be all over it - that`s for sure! :))))))

Im not in doubt that DCS/Wags know that and the first step could be that modders from the WWII and DCS community will try and make an WWII invironment that classic warbirds are entitled to smile

I have a dream smile

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice. Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983. Sådan er det bare.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor
#3569397 - 05/08/12 02:21 PM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
BBall Offline
BBall  Offline

Dresser, WI, USA
Hey guys,

Yeah, I echo what you guys are saying. I too, am a WWII era junkie, and (except for my first love…helos) I will grab 99% of all things from that era. Our LAN group has flown IL-2 for years, and I was naturally excited about CLOD until that debacle became a reality (I have it on my HD, but haven’t flown it in many months).

This has, IMHO, been a breath of fresh air for us WWII era fans. Does it require a rather copious amount of “imagination” at this point for us mission builders? Sure it does, but then so what? We’re flying a software generated machine, in a make-believe world, and if a mission maker can’t get you to buy into his idea, then he’s not much of a mission maker now is he? (much like a movie director)

Case in point; I cobbled together a mission for Griff and I to fly the other night. Our objective was a bridge on the outskirts of Krasnodar. We all know that one of the “issues” with using the Pony as a mud-mover is its load carrying capacity. We were flying from Gelendzhik, but do to the rather short runway, I opted for us to depart with a full loadout of bombs/rockets, but just under 20% fuel…the plan being to reposition up to Krymsk to refuel and take advantage of their (much) longer runway. We each had a wingie, we launched from Gelendzhik, once in the landing pattern at Krymsk, we told our wingies to “anchor here” (they had only HVARS and more fuel than we did), and then we landed, fueled to 50% and departed over gross weight (a not uncommon occurrence during wartime). Due to the longer runway, we both made it into the air with pavement to spare.

Once in the target area, we began attacking the bridge, only to be jumped by two “bad guy” Mustangs with an ensuing furball. I know the A/I is rather “uber” at this point, so I “dumbed them down” with an Average Pilot, full fuel, and 20% ammo (hell, I would’ve put a governor on that big-assed Merlin if I could figure out how to do it…lol). We turned and burned for a bit, got them both down, and then went back to the ground pounding.

Guess what? Yep, you guessed it…two more “bogey ‘Stangs” showed up and we tangled with them for a bit. Griff got his full of holes, went “Winchester” and did the RTB thing. I was parking some .50s into mine when Griff’s guy snuck in behind me and started to hose me down. I broke and we got into a low alt scissors….he eventually running into an oil derrick of all things…lol.
I RTB’d and we decided to end the night at that point. We still had TONS of road traffic in the bridge area to take out, and even though we had already logged over an hour in this “WWII” mission, we could’ve flown for at least another hour. All in all a great nights’ flying, and with just a dash of “imagination”, we were both transported back to 1944 and tangling with the Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe (a couple of “Luftwaffe skins” for the bad guy P-51s would rock! Skin makers…you listening?)

(Griff and Me on the ramp at Krymsk right before ending the mission…yeah, those ARE bullet holes in my pretty new Mustang)

I too am hoping for a real adversary for this amazing machine (and a Europe map would be nice), but until then, I’ll keep making missions and enjoying flying the P-51!

Later all,

BBall

#3571934 - 05/13/12 12:35 AM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cool videos Bearcat. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3621319 - 08/06/12 04:34 PM Re: DCS P-51 Vids [Re: Bearcat99]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I just ordered a new system, I'm building it 'just' to fly this plane.
It'll probably take me till the late fall to put it all together, and get it running right.
(I have other things I also have to keep up with around the property.... wink.)

But I'm willing to pay the $1800 bucks, just to fly this, and that's almost a months income for a retired guy like me.
They want an extra $5 or so....I can live with that.
But too much more, will be a problem.

My dream....a P-51 that really flys....like a P-51.
What Forgotten Battles did, and did not do, to this plane in '2004', is a crime IMHO.

Watched all the videos....it's all I can think about now.

Worth any price I have to pay....I can't afford the real one wink

Edit;

Let me add, that checking around, I'm finding out from some pretty knowledgeable people, my MSSWFF2 will not work on a 64bit Win7 OS.
That means you can add at least $400 more to the build, for a decent Stick.
I'm looking at the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Joystick.
Seems the only option.
Hope at least my Pro pedals work on a 64bit OS.
I'm moving over from a WinXP to Win7.

Anyone know if the old Pro Throttle and Pedals will work on this;

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CASE Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN5-GP R
PSU CORSAIR HX750 750W RT
Intel CPU i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) 77W Quad-Core HD Graphics
MEM CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP SLI Support
2 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Black SATA Model
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
Monitor; SAMSUNG B350 Series Red 23.6" 2ms GTG HDMI Widescreen LED cd/m2 DCR Mega 8
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
MSSWFF2 stick - (Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog)
Pro Throttle ?
Pro Pedals ?

Or if something doesn't 'mix', a 'bottle neck'?
I haven't put it all together, waiting for the cooler.
Think it will boot?

I've read some horror stories, the MO board, the RAM not working....has me a little nervous, I don't put this much cash out very often.
Maybe...never.
Now I'm up over $2000.

I know....you pay your money and take your chances.
But anyone see anything wrong with this mix?
Maybe tried it and found problems.....
The RAM has been tested by the MOBO.
Don't know if the cooler will fit next to the RAM.
The cooler is the last thing I need to finish and mount the MOBO

But I really want to fly a realistic P-51, before I look into that bright white light.... wink

People like me are the, "reason for the P-51".
There has never been one modeled properly with today technology.
Never even close.
I'd like to fly it in a WWII setting, with other period A/C, in a perfect world....but mostly, I just want to fly it.

I appreciate the stories and videos guys posted above.
Thanks for the time.

"Murphy's Law"

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.