Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3565962 - 05/02/12 10:52 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
Quote:
To ensure you are experiencing the full effects of the FM, make sure the Auto-rudder and Takeoff Assist options are disabled

First thing I did smile
First take-off was untidy as pedal axis was inverted. smile

Quote:
Current A-10C and BS2 keys will be accepted by World after the next patches to make these World modules

Excellent.
Does that mean a redownload and reinstall< or can they be imported?

Cheers
Keith

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3565984 - 05/02/12 11:44 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

Originally Posted By: 159th_Viper
Originally Posted By: Keithb77

And if modders can make a B17 they can presumably make some AI targets?

Quite possibly.

Is this photo- shopped?

#3566012 - 05/02/12 12:31 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Bumfluff]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Bumfluff

Is this photo- shopped?

No. What gives you that idea?

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3566013 - 05/02/12 12:35 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Desperation, I guess.

EVERYONE was SO waiting an adversary that a cruel joke could end up in disaster! smile
I want to believe!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3566031 - 05/02/12 01:04 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
Hmmm - the prop blades are much more visible on the FW...I think the FW BMW runs 10% slower than the Merlin, which could make a difference...nah I'm sure its real, well DCS-real anyway.

The interesting thing about the current Mustang v Mustang dogfights is that all the videos I've seen (not many) are 'turn and squirm' rather than 'boom and zoom'. Because turning is fun and zooming gets boring.

The Mustang was much more of a high-level and vertical fighter and doesn't turn as well as some other planes.
If we do get true adversaries I forsee a lot of grief about 'uber xxxx's whipping Ponies in dogfights...
Something to beware of.

Cheers
Keith

#3566157 - 05/02/12 05:08 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Lengthy downloads but everything installed smoothly with no issues. Initial impressions:

Runs extremely well on my system at 1920 x 1080 native resolution and all details turned up.
Cockpit looks very good, seems to be as detailed as A2A's WPO3 Spitfire cockpit.
All peripherals recognized in Controls section (Warthog HOTAS needed its TARGET software running to be recognized)
TrackIR 5 works perfectly
Instructional Missions very good -- especially start up
Take off is difficult --lots of torque
Landing is difficult -- lousy pilot
1 vs 1 dogfight is fun if you don't mind losing
Terrain is very good, if drab
Water looks good - not as good as CoD IMHO; better than FSX with REX plug in
Frame rates good for the limited play I've done; some slowdown at zero alt flying sometimes; other times very smooth. Need to suss out why.
Explosions look good
Tires are orange LOL (Yeah, I know, beta version)

Worth forty bucks? Yes!

Looking forward to final (retail) version and hopefully campaigns and other a/c & theatres of operations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3566253 - 05/02/12 07:32 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Just flew the P-51 for 2-3 hours, I'm really impressed by the level of detail and the general 'feeling' of the aircraft.

I see myself spending a lot of time with this beauty!

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3566400 - 05/02/12 11:24 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Slightly worrying that you all seem to manage to fly it quite easily. Wasn't engine management supposed to be really hard? In CoD most users absolutely do not manage to fly with Complex Engine Management turned on unless they really read up on it...

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3566425 - 05/03/12 12:33 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Nothing to worry about. The main difference between CloD and DCS:P-51 with regards to "accessibility" is that the latter actually comes with excellent documentation and interactive training missions that do a fine job of teaching new pilots the operation of the aircraft and that the Mustang is simply a quite advanced aircraft that reduces the pilots' workload with a number of automatic systems.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3566426 - 05/03/12 12:36 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Actually, there is no heat management in the P-51 at the moment - part of being a beta, and why people are flying at the max just for now..

#3566452 - 05/03/12 01:45 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Freycinet]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Slightly worrying that you all seem to manage to fly it quite easily. Wasn't engine management supposed to be really hard? In CoD most users absolutely do not manage to fly with Complex Engine Management turned on unless they really read up on it...

Hey Frey, the CEM in CoD lays an excellent groundwork, IMHO, for more detailed cockpits such as A2A's Wings of Power 3 Spitfire and now DCS P51D. As FF said below, heat management is not simulated in DCS P51D, so less chance of frying a Merlin like you can do in CoD......or ESPECIALLY in A2A WOP3 Spits.

What I'm finding is that the DCS P51D is a torque monster. On take off there's no slamming the throttle WFO on this sucker without then putting it through the MacDonald's drive-through at your immediate 2 o'clock -- two blocks over. LOL.

Also, finding low level flight that greater speed is gained at full boost but prop pitch control backed off from 3000 rpms down to approx 2650 rpms. I have the luxury (for now) of not burning out Merlin's with this beta, so it's fun experimenting. smile

Then again, still working my way through the 183-page manual, so all this may be covered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3566486 - 05/03/12 02:46 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
The Mustang never seemed difficult to manage, engine-wise, to me. Now the Thunderbolt! That turbo charger will mess you up if you don't handle it correctly.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3566487 - 05/03/12 02:48 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Hey Frey, the CEM in CoD lays an excellent groundwork, IMHO, for more detailed cockpits such as A2A's Wings of Power 3 Spitfire and now DCS P51D. As FF said below, heat management is not simulated in DCS P51D, so less chance of frying a Merlin like you can do in CoD......or ESPECIALLY in A2A WOP3 Spits.

What I'm finding is that the DCS P51D is a torque monster. On take off there's no slamming the throttle WFO on this sucker without then putting it through the MacDonald's drive-through at your immediate 2 o'clock -- two blocks over. LOL.

Also, finding low level flight that greater speed is gained at full boost but prop pitch control backed off from 3000 rpms down to approx 2650 rpms. I have the luxury (for now) of not burning out Merlin's with this beta, so it's fun experimenting. smile

Then again, still working my way through the 183-page manual, so all this may be covered.

Yep, it's interesting to compare to Cliffs of Dover. From only flying a bit, the P-51 beta is good, and here's my initial comparison observations:

- You need to map prop pitch, and manage RPM's more than throttle. Think 109's.

- AutoMix and not having to worry about temps is going to make Jack a Lazy Boy when they are added back in. Buy stock in Rolls Royce! wink

- The damage modelling is pretty good, not to the same (insane?) level of detail of CloD but very good. Wings always turning into BBQ's is a bit predictable, but there are lots of things to break.

- The AI ACM is ok, and I was expecting a lot more BnZ while it seems to want to do the same turn fight. Note: DO NOT use the quick flight '1 vs 1' mission to learn, as it's been set-up pretty harshly - the enemy P-51 starts higher than you and on your six. Welcome to Georgia!

- The ground handling torque with 0% help is harsh, although I'd imagine realistic with all the reference people/materials they have access to. 5 degrees right rudder trim and 'walking it up' the manifold pressure is the order of the day. The biggest wiggles come from reaching about 90mph and the air over the rudder now doing it's job, as it tends to lead to hard right torque followed by a nice lefty shifty. It's a bit like the Blenheim quick mission wink

- Landing is really nice and I spent a happy hour alone on touch and gos. The flight model feels very good.

- I *still* get those white square graphic artifacts on a ATI card. I was hopeful the new DCS World would sort that out, but no luck.

Good fun + itsabeta

#3566536 - 05/03/12 06:37 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: FearlessFrog]  
EtherealN Offline
EtherealN  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

- I *still* get those white square graphic artifacts on a ATI card. I was hopeful the new DCS World would sort that out, but no luck.

I won't swear on it, but I have a vague memory of this being a driver issue that ED has been trying to alert AMD to, apparently so far without success. You could try a different driver I suppose if it gets really annoying, but I don't recall for sure which drivers are less likely to exhibit this behaviour.

Which card and which driver do you use? I could try to crossref and see if I can find something.

#3566544 - 05/03/12 07:36 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Yes, CoD is woefully short on documentation, and if the modelling of engine management is simpler in DCS P-51 (while it is in beta) I can see those factors making a big difference. I'll definitely get the plane, tho I'll probably wait till it is out of beta. No fun flying a plane that cannot overheat! Any ETA on when the plane goes gold?

Thanks for your replies! I was banned from the CoD extended discussions forum, to see it I'll have to be logged out of SimHQ, so I'll just be a lurker on the site from now on, but I'm grateful for any info on a release date.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3566552 - 05/03/12 08:59 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Freycinet]  
EtherealN Offline
EtherealN  Offline

Any ETA on when the plane goes gold?

Not yet. Best I can give you is the standard "When it's done™".

#3566554 - 05/03/12 09:20 AM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Freycinet]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

The tutorial is excellent. I've never flown a "full switch" sim and I was taking off and landing pretty quick.

#3566594 - 05/03/12 12:21 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
sharpe26 Offline
sharpe26  Offline

Maastricht, Holland
I'm surprised at the thoroughness of the manual.

I'm a crappy pilot, but one hell of a shot.
#3566810 - 05/03/12 05:46 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: EtherealN]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: EtherealN
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

I won't swear on it, but I have a vague memory of this being a driver issue that ED has been trying to alert AMD to, apparently so far without success. You could try a different driver I suppose if it gets really annoying, but I don't recall for sure which drivers are less likely to exhibit this behaviour.

Which card and which driver do you use? I could try to crossref and see if I can find something.

I've had it for over a year I think, first on an ATI4980 2GB and then on a 6950 and now the 6970 series of cards.

The driver is the latest CC 12.4, but I think it's happened on all drivers since the 6950's came out with DCS - from memory, around about the 9.1 betas?). It's related to HDR and may be a bug in the driver, but obviously not something the other 180 PC games I play in that time struggle with smile

I don't mind it so much, as I just have to turn HDR off each time which is a shame but bearable. Punting the issue to ATI is probably the right thing to do technically, but unless ED has the clout/relationship with ATI then it might be worth considering work-arounds on the DCS side of HDR rendering got ATI. It could be a fair chunk (say, 10%) of customers impacted and, while it's not fair to ED since it's ATI fault, it's not uncommon to have to work around driver bugs.

I would be interested if you have a workaround or app setting that helps if you can find one though. There must be a few people with 6XXX series ATI cards that run DCS surely?

#3567001 - 05/03/12 11:52 PM Re: DCS:- P-51 pre-purchase and open beta is out. [Re: Nate]  
Lucky Offline
Old Guy
Lucky  Offline
Old Guy

Upstate N.Y.
I have a ATI 6970 card also and I turned HDR off until a fix comes out. At least one person has been in contact with AMD and Their Tech support has acknowledged the issue and was going to escalate it up, but have not implemented a fix as of yet. I started a thread on the DCS Forums

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77371 Post 86 is where the poster mentions AMD has acknowledged the issue as a driver problem

Core i9 10900k @ 5.0GHz
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 OC 8GB DDR6
32GB Team T-Force Night Hawk DDR4 3200,
Corsair HX850i 850W PSU
TIR5 With Trackclip Pro
Win 10 x64
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.