Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3564413 - 04/29/12 03:21 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Who from this list do you think was the most capable, admirable and charistmatic sci-fi commander/leader/captain?

Only one??? Wow. That's a tough call!

Being a B5 nut (screw you Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper! smile ), I ended up going with Sheridan.
So, in keeping with Minbari beliefs on the divinity of trinity, I offer these 3 variations.

- capable and admirable...Picard
- admirable and charismatic...Sheridan
- capable and charismatic....Kirk

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3564432 - 04/29/12 03:54 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Reynolds gets my vote wink

Failing that, original Kirk. He got it done.

Last edited by AWL_Spinner; 04/29/12 03:55 PM.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#3564437 - 04/29/12 03:58 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I always liked Kirk's mentor Capt. Pike.

#3564438 - 04/29/12 04:03 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

No Captain Solo? Needa?

Frankly my pick is John Sheridan.

Although I like the character, as an actual LEADER... William Adama (new BSG) just plain sucks. The way I see it, he was in his younger years likely a great captain, but by the time the series started, both he and his ship the Galactica, were long due for a retirement. They were "done". Circumstances pushed them into the most important mission for the 13 colonies...and they tried their best to rise to the challenges. But they were on their last legs at the start of the show. Same with the XO, who frankly would havehad his command taken from him in the first few eps, in a real command situation. But choices for replacement were likely at that point unavailable, so they soldiered on as best they could.

Kirk, arrogant and overconfident...yet placed his crew's safety above his ship or himself, willing to consider that he could be wrong, led by example and from the front often, yet unafraid and confident to often hand over command to other competent leaders. Could recognize and admit to when he might be possibly compromised.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#3564445 - 04/29/12 04:25 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

No Grand Admiral Thrawn? Sheesh!

#3564472 - 04/29/12 05:40 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: Falstar]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Falstar
I always liked Kirk's mentor Capt. Pike.

They emasculated him when they put him in that machine with the single blinkable light. Unlimited technology of the future but the guy is stuck doing morse code after his accident. Sounds like torture to me. biggrin

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3564572 - 04/29/12 08:41 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Wicked

Been watching last week Battlestar Galactica (EJO version) and W. Adama would be my second choice.
Is this your first time watching the new BSG?

Ya..first time I am watching the series. Got me the blu-ray collection box. In season 3 now. To be honest, this serie is well done. Storyline is entertaining. Music score is awesome and good choice. Actors do a great job. CGI is great. I enjoy it a lot!

Hnschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3564767 - 04/30/12 01:56 AM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
krise madsen Offline
krise madsen  Offline

Denmark

"crisis" is my middle name...
#3564807 - 04/30/12 03:14 AM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: Wicked]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

Been watching last week Battlestar Galactica (EJO version) and W. Adama would be my second choice.

Ya..first time I am watching the series. Got me the blu-ray collection box. In season 3 now. To be honest, this serie is well done. Storyline is entertaining. Music score is awesome and good choice. Actors do a great job. CGI is great. I enjoy it a lot!
Im glad to hear you're enjoying it and the music by Bear McCreary is nothing less than absolutely brilliant.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3564810 - 04/30/12 03:22 AM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Rick.50cal

No Captain Solo? Needa?

Frankly my pick is John Sheridan.

Although I like the character, as an actual LEADER... William Adama (new BSG) just plain sucks. The way I see it, he was in his younger years likely a great captain, but by the time the series started, both he and his ship the Galactica, were long due for a retirement. They were "done". Circumstances pushed them into the most important mission for the 13 colonies...and they tried their best to rise to the challenges. But they were on their last legs at the start of the show. Same with the XO, who frankly would havehad his command taken from him in the first few eps, in a real command situation. But choices for replacement were likely at that point unavailable, so they soldiered on as best they could.

Kirk, arrogant and overconfident...yet placed his crew's safety above his ship or himself, willing to consider that he could be wrong, led by example and from the front often, yet unafraid and confident to often hand over command to other competent leaders. Could recognize and admit to when he might be possibly compromised.

I pretty much agree with this. Likeable, but heavily flawed. Of course, that's also why BSG was so good (through the Pegasus storyline before falling apart). They didn't have their choice of leaders, they had to work with what they had.

This got me thinking of Farscape. It's different in that there was NO captain/leader, they traded off by the situation, which made it different. They did elect one for the ship itself eventually, but not the group. For one of the best "cohesive units", that show would be near the top, with Firefly and TNG. The development of that group of individuals into a force to be reckoned with was some good writing.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3564821 - 04/30/12 03:40 AM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands

Im glad to hear you're enjoying it and the music by Bear McCreary is nothing less than absolutely brilliant.

The music is indeed brilliant. Actually playing "Passacaglia" piano solo performed by Joohyun Park, written by B. McCreary, when I boot up EVE Online. smile

Hnschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3565265 - 04/30/12 11:31 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
fritzthefox Offline
fritzthefox  Offline

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Another write-in for Cap'n Reynolds, although Kirk was my childhood favorite. He always got the girl.

Probably why McCoy was such a good doctor...

#3565587 - 05/01/12 05:21 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

If I had to get on a spaceship and there was a high likelihood of interstellar danger and freakyness going on, I'd want someone with Picard's judgment, poise, morality and coolness under fire. The others don't even come close.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3565632 - 05/01/12 06:13 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Picard....diplomat, sleuth, no nonsense leader
Sheridan....patriot, war hero, get the job done at any cost
Kirk....smug, near-antagonist, but lovable playboy type "cool kid" people like to be around
Adama (EJO)....out of his element due to circumstances but rises to the occasion. Cursed with assassins, terrorists, alcoholics, misfits, politicians and a disrespectful son.

I'd like to see Adama (EJO) on TNG, just to see what he's like with a good crew and focused missions.
Sheridan or Picard on BSG would whip that crew into shape. Sheridan would win the war with cylons, Picard would broker peace. Roslin could go back to teaching.
Kirk...would be pretty much incompetent on any show other than TOS. Gotta love him though. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#3565649 - 05/01/12 06:48 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

McQueen was always my favorite, and the Angriest Angel clip his best.

That said, though, the first name that popped into mind when I saw the title of this thread was Honor Harrington .

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3565653 - 05/01/12 06:52 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

I'd like to see Adama (EJO) on TNG, just to see what he's like with a good crew and focused missions.
Don't know if you knew this but EJO was offered the leading role as captain for TNG but he turned it down.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3566197 - 05/02/12 06:15 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
EJO in TNG is so very hard to picture.

Shame there's no screen test anywhere.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#3566202 - 05/02/12 06:22 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: AWL_Spinner]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: AWL_Spinner

Check out this info from EJO's IMDB page,

Was offered the role of Jean-Luc Picard in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987). He would have been contractually obligated to work exclusively on the series, and not do any other projects while under contract. Olmos wanted the flexibility to be able to work on multiple projects, and declined the role on that basis. Patrick Stewart was eventually cast in the role.

Was considered for the part of Klingon Commander Kruge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), but lost the role to Christopher Lloyd because Lloyd was taller.

#3566215 - 05/02/12 06:42 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
If it is just my butt on the line, I would pick James T. Kirk. Definitely the man to serve under if you are looking "the s#!t" in deep space.

However, if I am serving with my family, like the crew of the Enterprise D, there is no better man to journey into the unknown than Capt. Jon Luc Picard.

All in all in war and peace Capt Picard is the man to sign up with.

#3566630 - 05/03/12 01:22 PM Re: Greatest Sci-Fi commander/captain/leader? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: AWL_Spinner

Check out this info from EJO's IMDB page,

Was offered the role of Jean-Luc Picard in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987). He would have been contractually obligated to work exclusively on the series, and not do any other projects while under contract. Olmos wanted the flexibility to be able to work on multiple projects, and declined the role on that basis. Patrick Stewart was eventually cast in the role.

Was considered for the part of Klingon Commander Kruge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), but lost the role to Christopher Lloyd because Lloyd was taller.

Fortunate for us that Stewart got it.
Star Trek III...might have been better. I remember people wondering why Reverend Jim was a Klingon. That's all you heard. LOL

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.