Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3415076 - 10/21/11 10:02 AM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
As in left and right play in the unit? Possibly some wood glue to fix it?

Awesome work by the way, a very smart design.

So what's next? smile

Thanks! Yeah, the base wobbles left and right a bit when I move the stick. I'll probably end up adding some extra supports extending from the sides of the seat walls to wedge it in real tight. But that won't come until I'm ready to paint and permanently secure all the parts to each other, and that's a ways down the road.

As for whats next, I've been too busy flying Warthogs to really think about it. I got my TrackIR5 on Monday, and just having it has made my sim time so much more enjoyable. I finally tried out one of the missions in DCS A-10C instead of just putzing around in the hills aimlessly shooting at things. I posted the results of that mission in a thread here.

I also got the itch to customize my hog with a skin, my first try I posted here.

I settled on a callsign and I ordered myself a custom flight suit nametag from here. I'm hoping that it will arrive soon.

As for actual progress on Gungnir, I've been rethinking my idea of a full enclosure. As much as I want her to be fully enclosed, I cannot for the life of me come up with a design that I like and also works well in the real world. I can make a full enclosure work, but it'll be ugly as sin, and that is something I want to avoid. I've been thinking that I'm probably going to have to figure a way to skin the pit so that both the seat and desk appear to be one unit. Regardless of the situation with the enclosure, I am planning on adding raised facades to the left and right arms of Gungnir's seat so that they appear to be flush with the top of the inner walls of the chair, and to allow switches to be added more easily. But the final design of the facades depends on the status of the enclosure, so that's also a ways down the line.

I have four tasks that I could get started on right away though, I've just been putting them off. I need to sand all my pieces, I need to prime and paint, I need to make seat cushions, and I need to make an angled riser for my pedals. A distant fifth task I could start is to create a custom switch panel or two on the center console with my IPac that's been gathering dust since I abandoned Aurora.

The cushions will probably come first, followed by the riser, then sanding, and finally paint.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Ben Franklin

"I won't bow out bravely. I'll be kicking, screaming, fighting. To the end."

"I'm throwing Pit Building against the wall to see what sticks!"

Renic's Simpit blog
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3420924 - 10/29/11 10:58 AM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
I had some free time today before work due to insomnia, so I picked up some sandpaper and grey primer and got to work. Dismanteled the seat, sanded most of it (the important parts that will show), laid the parts out on some newspaper, and went to town with three cans of spray primer.

Fully coated everything that is going to show, and half-assed the areas that are hidden. Got both sides coated before I had to leave for work. Hopefully by the time I get home everything will be dried so I can put the seat back together.

Gonna need to go back to home depot to get more primer for the console, but that won't happen till Monday or Tuesday due to messed up scheduling at work.

Renic's Simpit blog
#3421106 - 10/29/11 06:28 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Renic
I had some free time today before work due to insomnia, so I picked up some sandpaper and grey primer and got to work. Dismanteled the seat, sanded most of it (the important parts that will show), laid the parts out on some newspaper, and went to town with three cans of spray primer.

Fully coated everything that is going to show, and half-assed the areas that are hidden. Got both sides coated before I had to leave for work. Hopefully by the time I get home everything will be dried so I can put the seat back together.

Gonna need to go back to home depot to get more primer for the console, but that won't happen till Monday or Tuesday due to messed up scheduling at work.

Pics or your lieing.

biggrin

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3421117 - 10/29/11 06:45 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
Pics or your lieing.

biggrin

Haha, here you go. Was too tired to take pics during the process.

Renic's Simpit blog
#3421127 - 10/29/11 06:55 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Pics or your lieing.

biggrin

Haha, here you go. Was too tired to take pics during the process.

Nice, looking good!

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3423429 - 11/01/11 10:47 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
Two updates:

First, I finally got Gungnir's console painted.

Second, I got my new videocard from UPS today.

Sapphire Radeon 6870. It's replacing my Sapphire Radeon 4870. I haven't tried out any games with it yet and it's only been installed in my system for about 30 minutes, but already I love it. I'm finally able to use HDMI on my monitor again! My monitor came with a DVI-HDMI cable that got damaged when I moved my setup from the master bedroom to my workshop in the garage about a year ago, so I had to go with a DVI-VGA adapter since my monitor only supports VGA and HDMI. There was a very noticeable downgrade in visual fidelity when I had to do that, and I've been sad ever since.

I was worried that I had actually damaged the HDMI port on the monitor, but was really hoping it was just the cable, and thank goodness it was!

Time to go push this thing to the max!

Renic's Simpit blog
#3564001 - 04/28/12 03:58 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
What is up, SimHQ!? Renic here, and I am back after almost six months of non-activity. A lot has happened in my personal life which prevented me from advancing my build any further. First off, during the winter months my work is traditionally exceptionally slow, so many shifts were canceled each week, which caused a severe decline in my income, which meant that I could not afford to complete any new work on my simpit. In addition, my meager expendable income was spent trying to maintain a new intimate relationship which was doomed from the start, and which ended recently.

But with my work picking back up and my relationship ended, I finally have the time and resources to pick up on my passion once again: pit building!

I haven't done any work on my pit since November, and even after reorganizing my workshop to accommodate a much easier use of my computer as both a daily workstation and flight sim, my pit has only been used a few times each month. It saddens me that Gungnir, my most recent labor of love, has mostly just been collecting dust. But with my new found free time and expendable income, I fully plan on advancing my simpit further.

My first order of business (after dusting) is to finally finalize the seat of my simpit. Anyone with experience padding the seat of an ABC, I welcome their advice and anecdotes. After that, the distance between seat and desk will be finalized, and then permanently affixed to a base "floor", which will then be set upon locking casters to assist with mobility of the pit.

Again, I ask for any advice and encouragement from anyone who has been in my position.

Renic's Simpit blog
#3564140 - 04/28/12 09:37 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
No offense to you Renic, but I do not see the point of building an ABC-pit then mounting it on a permanent manner. The aim of the ABC was to have an easily-transportable pit, but if you were not packing it up every other week for LAN parties, you could add a few more to the design to make it much, much better. Or was it just because the plans for the ABC were readily available?

As for the seat cushions, I read that those making replica ACES cockpits have had good success with using excercise/yoga mats as padding. Basically cut 3-4 layers on the shape you want, find a way to encase it in something that resembles a cover, and viola!

However, chair comfort has always been a problem of mine. I've tried countless office chairs that had a within-reason price tag but most failed within a year or so. Then I thought about car seats --- people sit on them for hours and hours and hours at a time and do not have problems with the seat cushion. They'll have problems with being seated for some time, yes, but no sore parts due to poor cushions. So I got me a decent set of bucket seats and designed my pit around the seat! A long 4-5 hour DCS A10 session is not problem, and I spring out of my chair afterwards with no sore back or joints!

- Ice
#3564356 - 04/29/12 12:46 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
I recycled my seat cushions from my ABC pit from years ago, but IIRC I used 3 inch thick foam from a fabric store, with one piece cut for the seat and another for the back. I used double thickness for the headrest. The seat is covered with a camo carseat cover with the head part cut away as it didn't wrap properly around the headrest. I then covered the headrest with my old od green laundry bag from boot camp.

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#3564454 - 04/29/12 04:56 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: - Ice]  
Lupus Offline
Lupus  Offline

United States
Originally Posted By: - Ice
No offense to you Renic, but I do not see the point of building an ABC-pit then mounting it on a permanent manner. The aim of the ABC was to have an easily-transportable pit, but if you were not packing it up every other week for LAN parties, you could add a few more to the design to make it much, much better. Or was it just because the plans for the ABC were readily available?

As for the seat cushions, I read that those making replica ACES cockpits have had good success with using excercise/yoga mats as padding. Basically cut 3-4 layers on the shape you want, find a way to encase it in something that resembles a cover, and viola!

However, chair comfort has always been a problem of mine. I've tried countless office chairs that had a within-reason price tag but most failed within a year or so. Then I thought about car seats --- people sit on them for hours and hours and hours at a time and do not have problems with the seat cushion. They'll have problems with being seated for some time, yes, but no sore parts due to poor cushions. So I got me a decent set of bucket seats and designed my pit around the seat! A long 4-5 hour DCS A10 session is not problem, and I spring out of my chair afterwards with no sore back or joints!

And those are much the same reasons I've decided to use a bucket car seat in my pit build. Plus, a comfy office chair will run you around $100 and up. A decent bucket seat from the junk yard will cost you about $30 to $50.

#3564712 - 04/30/12 12:25 AM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: - Ice]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
Originally Posted By: - Ice

My use of the ABC plans is because of their availability and ease of creation, Ice. They served as a jumping-off point for me, and as my previous two pits had very little woodworking in them, I figured this was a good place to start learning about the process. I've already altered the design a little with my additions of the monitor behind the console and the center stick mount, and I plan to keep modifying it.

A few months back I went to the local fabric store and tried out every type of foam padding they had. By "tried out" I mean I threw it on the floor and plopped my butt down on it. None of the different types or thicknesses seemed to be padded enough, and the only one that came close would have been much too thick for the seat if I doubled up on it. I have lost about 20 lbs. since then, so maybe they'd feel better now?

I went looking around the local big box and sporting goods stores today, in search of mats. All the yoga and exercise style mats are way too expensive for what they are, so I went looking for those blue foam camping bedroll mats like I used to use when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. I found some new-fangled advanced mats that were much too expensive and didn't provide the kind of support that I expected, and that was it.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is creating cushions the way that I did for the armrest of my first pit. I have a few old couch cushions that can be sacrificed and cut up.

Another question I have is regarding panels. I have an IPac controller board, traditionally used by the MAME community to make custom arcade joysticks, and I'll be using it for one of my panels. I have a total of 32 inputs from it, and I'm not sure which controls I should focus on first. Any suggestions?

Renic's Simpit blog
#3564922 - 04/30/12 09:32 AM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
They served as a jumping-off point for me, and as my previous two pits had very little woodworking in them, I figured this was a good place to start learning about the process.

Just as I thought... and I'm not blaming you. However, you had a look at my cockpit, yes? Would you believe that I got maybe about 95% of the cutting done for me at the shop where I got the wood? They charged me £4 for all the cuts, sure, but all I was left to do was cut the support blocks (I do MDF-to-block-to-MDF connections, I don't screw MDF-to-MDF if I can help it) and a few angle cuts for the left and right aux panel and aux panel supports. You did more cutting with the ABC's slots than I did with my pit! biggrin

Regarding cushions, what I read was any old yoga mat, so maybe you can score one from a friend who is "upgrading" or maybe try eBay to get it cheaper? Like I said, a couple of layes (one guy said three), wrap them in cloth, and give it a try. The idea here is to find a material that does not "bottom out," but as you have discovered it is difficult to find one. You either end up with a thin layer of padding that eventually gives way or a thicker layer of padding that unfortunately pushes you too far up-and-forward. Hence my resort to a car seat. However, a car seat is wider than an ACES seat by at least a few inches, a bucket seat is even slightly wider, so you will have to make allowances for this if you decide to go this route.

As for panels, well, I've not delved into that myself as well, that is all black magic voodoo to me biggrin But I plan on building the F-16's left aux panel soon, as soon as funds free up. From what I've read though, different controllers interface with the PC differently, and sometimes interface with the sim itself differently as well --- I've had numerous warnings of making sure XXXX controller board works with YYYY simulation before buying it.

Hope that helps, and looking forward to see what you do with your pit build!

- Ice
#3565044 - 04/30/12 02:21 PM Re: Renic's Pit Build (Gungnir, the Spear of Odin) [Re: Renic]  
Lupus Offline
Lupus  Offline

United States
Depends on what you fly.

My first set of controls I build will be a trim and flap control set. But I fly IL-2 1946 (WWII Prop) and those are the controls I am missing the most right now.

Think about what you fly, and your HOTAS setup and consider what controls you go to the keyboard on the most for. Those controls that you don't currently have that you would use the most.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.