Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3556746 - 04/15/12 08:41 PM Help an returning flight simmer :)  
Fille_SWE Offline
PSN: Fille_SWE
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
Hi, as the title of this topic says, im a retired flight simmer that would like to get back into the air.
Last time i flew a sim whas when the lock on sim came out.

The last years ive been basicly only playing on my ps3. A few months ago me and my wife decided we need a new computer, we bought a fairly cheap one and i need help to see if i will be able to run DCS A-10C on it.
Its not really a pricey gaming rig but we needed one really for school works since were both students and i also wanted to play diablo 3 on it.

Anyway here is what we got
Acer Predator G3100
processor: AMD Phenom II X4 850 3.30ghz
8gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti

How will this rig handle the A-10 sim?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3556748 - 04/15/12 08:51 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
I have the same video card as you, and the same amount of RAM. I don't know much about AMD chips, but I've got an i5 2400 @ 3.1 and the sim runs perfect on my rig. I don't have all the details cranked up but I haven't really tried to see what it could do if I did either. It's perfectly smooth when I play, you should still be able to get the whole A-10C experience.

#3557105 - 04/16/12 02:02 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Fille_SWE Offline
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
Thanks for the help smile i guess its time to get my x-45 out of the closet smile

#3557144 - 04/16/12 03:12 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hi Fille,
Want some new peripheral hardware suggestions? smile

Welcome to the A-10C world! I was out of combat flight sims for about 5 years following LOMAC, but the A-10C sim pulled me back in. Enjoy!

Wrecking Crew

crew

#3557669 - 04/17/12 10:01 AM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Fille_SWE Offline
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
Yes please smile even thou im a bit short on cash atm smile

#3557835 - 04/17/12 04:13 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
It was actually the combination of DCS A-10C and the Thrustmaster Warthog that pulled me back into this combat flight sim. And a Track IR (4 or 5) is essential for my flying, anymore.

You can get by w/o rudders.

Christmas is coming! CT

WC

#3560890 - 04/22/12 03:51 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Fille_SWE Offline
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
Its tempting but cant afford those things yet but thanks for the tip :-)
Saving up for new motor for my rc car

#3560965 - 04/22/12 06:31 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
By motor I am assuming a nitro fuel-powered car as an electric motor is rather cheap biggrin

To enjoy this sim, a simple joystick is required. A few pilots I know get by with a cheap Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. You'll have to do the finger acrobatics quite a bit but after a while when you get the hang of it everything will be fine. The "ultimate" setup is a TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR5 with Track Clip Pro, and a set of rudder pedals. I got a Saitek Pro Flight set, the cheapest available, and they do fine. Then you might want some touch-screen LCDs or even just a few more LCDs for the dash display and peripheral vision (triple-screen). But that is as budget allows and is not "needed" to learn and enjoy the sim.

If there is one thing you will want to prioritize though, it would be the TrackIR. wink

- Ice
#3561058 - 04/22/12 09:56 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Fille_SWE Offline
Fille_SWE  Offline

Sweden
Well its electric motor smile me and my wife is on a tight budget at the moment atleast until august, so i cant spend to much. Anyway i got my Saitek x-45 and i was hoping i would work with dcs a-10. Well maybe its better to wait with siming until im on a better budget.

#3561823 - 04/24/12 11:20 AM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
tintifaxl Offline
tintifaxl  Offline

Austria
The X-45 will work. No need to wait or buy all the suggested peripherals.

#3562136 - 04/24/12 09:19 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Yeah I'm with the rest of the guys saying you don't need that other stuff. Even at it's LOWEST settings the sim is beautiful and smooth. It will leave you wanting more... of course- there are a lot of key commands to remember but if you're patient you could probably figure out what is important to have on the joystick and what isn't.

The hardware in the box probably won't hold you back- but the minute you think the 550 is capable of the task you'll be left wanting. Don't get me wrong, the 550 is a capable piece of hardware... but unless you dabble with overclocking you're going to be watching a slideshow during combat.

There are plenty of reasons for you to enjoy this sim with your existing setup- and yes, even on a tight budget. Nice thing about the new Hog is that a lot of what you're doing can be done at standoff range- so while the HOTAS functionality is great... you can get by without it. Better yet, come in to the Firehouse server and fly around. Just need to grab a cheap mic and load TS3... that way you can ride shotgun with a few other aircraft who can help keep you safe.

But yes- I would drop the money on a mic and get TS3... enormously helpful to both learn and go into combat with your brothers.

Last edited by eno75; 04/24/12 09:20 PM.
#3566830 - 05/03/12 06:17 PM Re: Help an returning flight simmer :) [Re: Fille_SWE]  
Tberg Offline
Tberg  Offline

CPH, Denmark
Hi, "new" returning simmer here too smile

Just wanted to add my thoughts on setup and game setting, from a "beginners" pov:

i5 750
1 single HD 6850
8GB
and the rest is not particularly important.

I run the game on a triple-screen setup (4720x1080), which I would recommend anyone playing sim: flight, race, whatever. It does affect fps, so be warned if you plan to run on high settings. I manage 30-70 fps depending.
Settings ingame doesn't affect too much on fps (the 6850 is slightly OC), but AA is an absolute no go! AAx2 or x4 is possible, but any higher kills the game with my setup. I leave AA to off. I played around, and the things I just need to have on High-settings is textures, scenes and visible range. I also like the warm colors HDR.
Then, I spent hours on reading about how great TrackIR is, and how you couldn't live without it, but i wasn't exactly going to spend anything without ever trying it out. So, I found Facetracknoir, which is a nice idea and it gave me enough to want a more stable system, but it didn't actually work, even with plenty of tweaking. Almost bought the TIR5, but stumbled across Freetrack. Took me 10 minutes to find my old cap, wire it up with 3 LEDs and it worked! Huge step up from facetracknoir. Took me some days of flying the A-10C before I figured out shift+F7 to stable and then move the slider in global stable to 100% to really get it to work smooth. I must say, I don't think of buying TIR anymore and I use zero money on it. I can live with a 9V battery duct taped to the back of the cap smile
Next, I fly the A-10C with an old Logitech Attack 3 and the keyboard. For rudders, I configured my G25-pedals, works fine but needs some curve to not be oversensitive. I manage to fly the sucker with these 3 things, but yikes...in combat it gets a little frustrating and very easy to hit a wrong button or modifier and oops...lost target, moved SPI, changed weapon, something.
So...*sigh*...I can't believe it, but that Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS has "Buy me!" written all over it...I'm struggling not to and been checking out x52 pro, even just the Thrustmaster T-flight just to get a throttle with some knobs. God help me...

Well, looks like a great forum, I hope I'll have the courage to join TS and MP and start learning some real stuff. Really, I just picked up Warthog for fun and got hooked. Still flying training- and easy missions over and over again.
Oh, easy mission instant action nr.1: after I shot all the tanks/AA at wp 5, it told me to contact JTAC. My pilot then told the JTAC that I carried all the weapons which I had just unloaded on the past 4 wp? And, at wp 6, there were no convoy/coloumn and the JTAC didn't have anything for me? Mission over?

All the best

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.