Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3556442 - 04/15/12 06:34 AM A Night To Remember  
Donnybrooke Offline
Donnybrooke  Offline

Southern US
Had to watch this 1958 movie on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic (Camerons "Titanic" just makes me want the ship to sink).
I forgot that David McCallum played the junior radio operator, Harold Bride.

One of the questions I had to look up was "When did the Titanic sink?" Well, apparently, the ship sank at approximately 2:20 AM (Ship's time). This was set by the ship's position. The actual time of sinking was around 12:47 AM EST. Since there was no Daylight Savings Time in effect, this meant that in 2012, the ship sank at approximately 1:47 EDST.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3556448 - 04/15/12 06:52 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

Yea, I just watched this movie tonight on TCM. Great flick. Never saw James Camerons version. Dont want to either.

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#3556588 - 04/15/12 03:49 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

James Cameron's version is quite impressive, I think. It made a ton of money because it was a good movie...a hell of a lot better than that dopey cliche Avatar.

Anyway, I think it's sad that so many of the younger generation are shocked to discover that the Titanic was a real ship and story.

Last edited by Scylla; 04/15/12 03:50 PM.

FTX Global
#3556702 - 04/15/12 07:14 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I liked Cameron's Titanic. If you get past the rather cliche love story, the story of the ship sinking was pretty good, and included a lot of anecdotal
stories I've read in other sources - neat to see on the screen!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#3556713 - 04/15/12 07:40 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
I thoroughly enjoyed the far fetched love story. Kate was great to watch ( good girl who always delivers). Billy Zane was nasty and despicable(I don't know why Cameron did not go ahead and give him a thin dastardly mustache).

Cracking good yarn and the ship sinking was very impressive. I shed a tear for the victims, because I knew it really happened. I wonder how, considering it was before I was born and there was no internet or anything. Perhaps it was hidden in a book.

#3556858 - 04/16/12 12:34 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Sir Crashesalot Offline
XBL:phil0nious
Sir Crashesalot  Offline

Saint Chuck
In a more twisted version, my old high school had their prom this weekend. Their theme: Titanic. Seems a bit odd to have a tragedy that killed 1500 people as a theme to a high school dance.

OVER....Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#3556870 - 04/16/12 12:59 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
My son recently took a trip to Branson Missouri. He came back with souveniers from thier Titanic Museum. Strange place for it to be, I thought. I don't remember hearing that the ship stopped there.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3556894 - 04/16/12 01:55 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Sir Crashesalot Offline
Sir Crashesalot  Offline

Saint Chuck
Yeah, that's an odd place for a Titanic rememberance thing. I've only driven by it, but my in-laws say its a pretty cool experience.

OVER....Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#3556900 - 04/16/12 02:00 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Did any of you guys with Twitter accounts follow the real time Titanic feed over the weekend?

https://twitter.com/#!/TitanicRealTime

I was also a big fan of the James Cameron movie, because as Johnny Chemo mentioned, he did include so many anecdotal stories- the picture of the boy playing with the top on the Promenade Deck before the ship pulled in to Cherbourg, Jack Thayer joining other passengers on the foredeck throwing around chunks of ice, Harold Bride and others clinging to Collapsible C before being rescued by the Carpathia...

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3556905 - 04/16/12 02:06 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Comacho Offline
Comacho  Offline

I watched some of 'A Night To Remember' on TCM but fell asleep half way through, I watched it numerous times as a kid in the 60s anyway. I watched two Titanic documentaries on youtube and 'ANTR' has a quite a few inaccuracies too. The band never played any music in the final moments and they certainly never played Auld Lange Syne, they did play some ragtime music earlier in the evening. J. Bruce Ismay was well aware when the ship struck the iceberg and was not fast asleep and didn't have a clue she struck as shown in the movie. There are other inaccuracies but those two stuck out the most.

#3556937 - 04/16/12 03:34 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Dirk Pitt ftw.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3556944 - 04/16/12 03:49 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Comacho]  
Donnybrooke Offline
Donnybrooke  Offline

Southern US
Originally Posted By: Comacho
I watched some of 'A Night To Remember' on TCM but fell asleep half way through, I watched it numerous times as a kid in the 60s anyway. I watched two Titanic documentaries on youtube and 'ANTR' has a quite a few inaccuracies too. The band never played any music in the final moments and they certainly never played Auld Lange Syne, they did play some ragtime music earlier in the evening. J. Bruce Ismay was well aware when the ship struck the iceberg and was not fast asleep and didn't have a clue she struck as shown in the movie. There are other inaccuracies but those two stuck out the most.

I suppose there are conflicting accounts. A couple remembers Ismay coming out on deck after the ship struck the iceberg "looking as if he had just tumbled out of bed". Other witnesses said the band played until the "water was up to their knees". Eyewitness accounts can be rather inaccurate, especially under dire circumstances. Walter Lord, the author of "A Night To Remember", certainly tried to account for
the conflicting testimonies as best he could.

The biggest mistake in the movie in my opinion was that the Titanic did not break in two. But there were conflicting reports on that, and
up until Ballard's expedition, no one could say for certain.

#3556965 - 04/16/12 04:30 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Comacho Offline
Comacho  Offline

Watch these eye-witness accounts, the man says he saw the band just before he jumped ship into a lifeboat and the band was not playing any music, the woman says it is an outright lie too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w26_CG8BPGI&feature=related

Here are some more eye-witness accounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lywYIF2EdOY&feature=related

#3557331 - 04/16/12 08:21 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
There's been about a million documentaries on over here on teh Titanic, and all the films as well, even the 1996 version of Titanic as well as the 1997 one!
They ran through some of the facts and fiction of the sinking, and basically it was said that back int eh day those who died were considered heroes, even if the opposite were true as it was not the done thing to villify those that died in a tragic accident. As they tried to portray the captain as a hero who went down with his ship while trying to help babies out of the water!

It noted that not one film actually portrays Ismay in a good light, while all the eyewitness statements point out he actually helped people get into the life boats, and got into one of the last to leave on his side of the ship, and it was a media tycoon of the day in the US that had a run in whith him previously decided to print a lot of waffle about him jumping in to the first life boat that this day would have gotten said media tycoon sued for every penny!

It also runs through how the inquests tried to blame anyone except the captain of the Titanic, again due to him not being able to defend himself and it not being the done thing. They instead forced blame onto the captain of the ship that was within travelling distance but did not respond.

Also went into the wireless opperator, and how he in reality had a massive part to play as he ignored the ice warning messages as he was trying to send out messages from the first class passengers.

Basically, the films were mainly running with the common thought events, not those that were documented, as it was pointed out that in one film the director knew that Ismay wasn't the bad guy, but decided to portray it as others had as the film needs it's bad guy and thats what the public had always been told that he had done.

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#3557420 - 04/16/12 10:53 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Watched a very interesting Titanic documentary on NGC the other day. Actually two, one with James Cameron, and the other one dealing with a very interesting theory that was based on several ships' logs from the days both before and after Titanic sank. The theory was that there was a really cold air mass around the area where ice was present, and that this led to a phenomenon similar to mirages, where a boundary between cold and hot air bends the light, leading to the iceberg not being spotted in time, due to the horizon appearing higher than it was. This was tested and confirmed, and is a very interesting theory.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3557430 - 04/16/12 11:06 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
Donnybrooke Offline
Donnybrooke  Offline

Southern US
Well,

The Band Played On
As I said, eyewitness accounts can be faulty. However, the two eyewitnesses you cite are not necessarily wrong. The band was playing in the First Class Lounge in the beginning, then moved to the boat deck as the ship began to founder. It is quite possible people did not see the band or even hear it in the pandemonium, or were launching on a boat far away from their position. And I doubt the band played every second, so naturally a glance from someone jumping into a boat might catch them not playing.

But accept what you wish.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

semmern: Interesting theory. I'm a little dubious, as the California only ten miles from the Titanic's last position spotted the pack ice and halted in time. It must have been a very "local" phenomena. But, as pointed out in the movie, the Titanic was just entering the Labrador Current and temperatures were falling, so there may be some truth to it.

Last edited by Donnybrooke; 04/16/12 11:08 PM.
#3557509 - 04/17/12 01:27 AM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Donnybrooke

semmern: Interesting theory. I'm a little dubious, as the California only ten miles from the Titanic's last position spotted the pack ice and halted in time. It must have been a very "local" phenomena. But, as pointed out in the movie, the Titanic was just entering the Labrador Current and temperatures were falling, so there may be some truth to it.

Certainly an interesting theory, and there might be some truth to it. Also, I imagine your height above the water would have something to do with it. Angle of refraction, etc. And I imagine the Titanic's lookouts were higher up than on any other ship of that time. And maybe the Californian spotted bigger pieces of ice? The whole event was, as so many others, just a snowball of unfortunate circumstances. The telegraph operator ignoring warnings from other ships since he was busy with passengers' telegrams, the sole radio operator of the Californian leaving his set early, no lookouts to spot the distress rockets, the lookout's binocs being left at the dock, and so on. All of which contributed to disaster.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3557740 - 04/17/12 01:32 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: Donnybrooke]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I like how Cameron described his sales pitch to the studio execs, "This ship, Romeo and Juliet." I can imagine this being the same pitch for Pearl Harbor, "This attack, Romeo and Juliet." You mark my words, after more time has passed someone will be in front of studio execs with a romantic looking graphic of the Twin Towers saying, "This terrorist attack, Romeo and Juliet."

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3557766 - 04/17/12 02:24 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: letterboy1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: letterboy1
I like how Cameron described his sales pitch to the studio execs, "This ship, Romeo and Juliet." I can imagine this being the same pitch for Pearl Harbor, "This attack, Romeo and Juliet."

Except the big difference is that James Cameron is a good director while Michael Bay is not.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3557774 - 04/17/12 02:43 PM Re: A Night To Remember [Re: semmern]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: semmern
Originally Posted By: Donnybrooke

Certainly an interesting theory, and there might be some truth to it. Also, I imagine your height above the water would have something to do with it. Angle of refraction, etc. And I imagine the Titanic's lookouts were higher up than on any other ship of that time. And maybe the Californian spotted bigger pieces of ice? The whole event was, as so many others, just a snowball of unfortunate circumstances. The telegraph operator ignoring warnings from other ships since he was busy with passengers' telegrams, the sole radio operator of the Californian leaving his set early, no lookouts to spot the distress rockets, the lookout's binocs being left at the dock, and so on. All of which contributed to disaster.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere recently that the Captain Rostron on the Carpathia was also threading his way through pretty steady pack ice most of the time he was steaming towards Titanic's position (which initially was sent out as being on the wrong side of the ice field the Californian had encountered).

Also, something else I just found out recently: shipboard wireless operators at that time weren't employed by the respective ship lines, but instead by the Marconi company, which may partially explain why California's operator wasn't at his station that night, especially as the ship had decided to wait in the ice field for the night before braving the ice field in the morning.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.