Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3550474 - 04/04/12 04:54 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Spearfish Offline
Spearfish  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ronin_GE
Agreed the 25mm and 30mm cannons. They seem to be more acurate as the 40 /35 mm guns. Yet I have no data or experience how EXACT FIGURES should be.

My experience in SBPro PE shows they are twofold more accurate than 35 mm and 40 mm guns which seems to be hardly true in real life.

If you are on a flat ground and both sides agree to a 19th style shootout, the a FCS an nullifiy a small frame.
In most other aspects this statement is rediculous.
Small frame makes you harder to spot and you can use the terrain more efficiently. These are abilities that can in fact
nullifies even the most advanced FCS.

Your statement is ridiculous. You forgot modern FCS has thermal sight with large electronic zoom included so spotting and tracking moving targets is much easier. Well, some most advanced FCS can also track target automatically! Tracked target can be killed in a matter of seconds. On the other hand BMP-1/2s lack all these features.

Yes the armour CAN be penetrated by 12.7 and 14.5mm guns...just not at ALL angles. And if you hit the front and penetrate there is the engine/transmission block and another plate of armour behind that. You may very well get a mobility kill, but there is still an chance for the crew.

Not entire BMP frontal aspect is protected by engine compartment.

And as the SB-crew are essentially "fearless", they may very well still guide the AT-5 to your nose(doubt they would do that in RL)

We have found new AI bug!

The 73mm low presure gun of the BMP1 did some nasty damage to US CAV units in GW 1. You just got to read BDA from that time.

Of course this gun can do some damage - unfortunately hitting something is possible only at 500 meter or closer distance. smile

Yes the ATGM is an "anti tank weapon"...so is there any reason not to use it against IFV? Which they can take out quiete reliably...

The problem is BMP cannot use anything else against most targets except a few carried ATGMs. smile

In 5-10 year? The BMP3 is alive and kicking since the 1990ies.
What new concepts do you mean?

Russian MoD and military officials claimed that BMP-3 is a crap and Greece did not buy BMP-3. Later it was ordered to stop acquiring many Soviet-era armored vehicles and now Russia is trying to develop brand-new concepts like Armada tanks and so on.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3550475 - 04/04/12 04:57 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Quote:
Your statement is ridiculous. You forgot modern FCS has thermal sight with large electronic zoom included so spotting and tracking moving targets is much easier. Well, some most advanced FCS can also track target automatically! On the other hand BMP-1/2s lack all these features.

Have you ever been on an IFV? Tried to spot them when doing recon?
Do you now how to manuver?

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#3550478 - 04/04/12 05:00 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Spearfish Offline
Spearfish  Offline

Do you deny mentioned features and capabilities of most modern fire control systems?

#3550754 - 04/04/12 11:00 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
In all the quoted cases - Bushmaster I, III, III, and Bofors L/70 gun, the dispersion figures are established with pretty high confidence (that is, from actual firing tables, or from development specifications given by the respective army customers). Unless you think that these armies were deliberately feeding us with false data, these are the results. Like them or not.

For public sources, see Jane's Ammunition Handbook issue 2009, page 262: Mecar 25mm x 137 M935 APFSDS, dispersion "less than .5 mil"
It's up for debate if this is the standarddeviation, or the 50% percentile (which happens to be about 1.05 x std dev ("s")).
In our model, all rounds will fall within 3s (that is, we cap the normal distribution there, so there won't be outliers). That means at 2000m a circular dispersion of 3m RADIUS around the aim point for 99.7% of all rounds, of 2m RADIUS for 95% of all rounds, and about 1m RADIUS for 68% of all shots.
A BMP's frontal silhouette is about 1.40m high and about 3m wide. Therefore, vertically only about 50% of all rounds will actually be in the allowed height bracket (provided that the BMP is actually fully exposed). Horizontally, about 80% of all rounds will be in the acceptable width bracket.
In order to hit, a round must be in both the vertical and horizontal bracket. That applies to only 40% of all rounds. In other words, the majority of all rounds will actually NOT hit at 2000m!

For comparison, Jane's Ammunition Handbook issue 2009,
  • page 263:
    Alliant 25mm x 137 M792 HEI-T/SD, .55 x .55mrad
    Alliant 25mm x 137 M791 APDS-T, .30 x .30mrad
    Alliant 25mm x 137 PGU-32/U SAPHEI, .45 x .45mrad
  • page 278:
    RO 30mm x 170 L14A2 APDS-T, .5 x .5mil (="half the dispersion of the HE-T round")
  • page 281:
    De Kruithoorn 30mm x 173 MPDS, .4 x .4mrad

As you can see, these dispersions are by and large in a similar range. 40mm x 365 are modeled with quite comparable parameters in SB Pro.

So why are you seeing so seemingly different results?
Because your sample size simply is too small. In order to make a high confidence estimate of a standarddeviation parameter, a sample size of 4000 (!) is needed (for a confidence of (just) 95%). Your judgement is based not only on no actual controlled measurements, but even of sample sizes in an order of magnitude of about ten rounds. That simply isn't enough.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3550757 - 04/04/12 11:05 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: Spearfish]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Spearfish
Do you deny mentioned features and capabilities of most modern fire control systems?

The definition of (natural) shot dispersion is that there simply is no way to get around it, except manufacturing ammunition to higher quality standards (which will drive up costs substantially). Sniper cartridges are selected out of regular production batches for particularly small deviations of projectile weight and geometry, and particularly small deviations of the amount of propellant material in a cartridge (among other selector criteria).
That makes them ten times and more costly than a regular round.

There is nothing that a gunner or a fire control system can do about shot dispersion. No matter how accurately you are measuring the range to target, the crosswind along the trajectory, your cant angle, the angular velocity of the target - the only way to achieve laser precision is to use a laser.

#3550788 - 04/04/12 11:43 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

Spearfish,

on several issues you give me the impression that you do not differ between how you assume in your imagination how things should be, and how they really are in reality. I would encourage you to go over all answers given to you in this thread, read them again, and while doing so keeping that difference in mind. Lieste and Ssnake have given you far more competently some numbers than I could, and also the basics of statistical calculation. I also remind on the already given feedback on your assumptions about BMPs and how FCS works wonders, or not.

Lean back, take a breath, and relax. The things you mention are not so much issues with SBP, but your expectations not matching reality. For example your senario setup shown in that video: flat terrain, no cover, engagement against BMP from 2000m, no smoke - do not complain that you get eaten there! It's not the CV's fault, or the Bofors', but the commander's! wink

Reminds me a bit on the discussion thread on the Challenger-2. smile : stellar expecations versus less uber-glorious reality as described by available data, I mean. smile

#3550911 - 04/05/12 07:07 AM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The demo video surely was just that, a video to clearly demonstrate his point - which it did. One shouldn't read too much into this either. wink

#3550981 - 04/05/12 12:09 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I think Ssnake and others answered your questions and concerns in great detail, and great patience i might add, (I would of hit the ignore button on you long ago... if I was able, lol).

Just my outside view, you seem to either have some hidden agenda or ax to grind on the subject... may I suggest you visit and post at www.steelbeast.com those guys over there are more knowledgeable on the subject matter then us ol regular gamers here at SimHQ. wink

#3551034 - 04/05/12 01:53 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: Spearfish]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: Spearfish

When did I say that??

You seem to overrate it. The FCS helps a lot when engaging a target. But 1st you must spot the tgt and 2nd you have to be in a position to engage it. While a TIS helps(and nothing more) on the 1st part in low light surroundings...it still can not see through obstacles(hills, woods...houses, you name it). More then once I've popped of 300m in flank/behind an tank or IFV unit during exercises...I can tell you: Their TIS and shiny FCS counts for nothing then.

During daylight a TIS is not that great a help and I usually had most succes in spotting tgts using MK-1 eyeball and ears.

Your statement of a FCS negating ALL other factors(esp. teh advances a small vehicle size brings)is at best an oversimplification or worst...

On the issue of the gun accuracy. Do have anything else then your "feeling" that it should be different?
I also think that the spread in the 40mm and 35mm rounds is big. But hey, my guess is agood as yours.

It would be a shame on esim if they'd change their specs according to players "feelings" or "impressions". That is going the way of "how could your lvl 12 rouge backstab my lvl 15 paladin! the devs should change that!!!"

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#3551173 - 04/05/12 04:42 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
In all fairness, there's always a possibility that our parameters are wrong, and I am taking these discussions seriously enough to check our work of the past. I made a fundamental error once, I can't rule out that I made another one. I will never insist on the indefensible. If an error was made, it will get corrected.

Of course it's always easier to react to feedback that is specific and factual. But even where that is not the case, I try to keep in mind that someone still may be right about his point. It's not about avoiding mistakes at all costs. It's about how to deal with them once that they are recognized as such.

#3551405 - 04/05/12 08:57 PM Re: SB Pro PE 2.654 Patch Released [Re: kramer]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
And that attitude and support is a big part of why I not only bought SBP originally, but will keep paying for upgrades each year. (and the developers keep MAKING upgrades each year!).

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.