Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3545555 - 03/26/12 07:05 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Pudfark]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Pudfark
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Originally Posted By: Gman45
After reading the initial reviews and all the bru haha surrounding the release, I'd sort of forgotten about this game. I'm not real interested in the Multiplayer as I fly Aces High for that, but I'd like some of the guys who are into this game to give me some information regarding the single player experience. What I'd like to know most is if the campaign is as good as say the last BoB game to come out, and if CoD is worth getting in regards to the simulation/graphics experience as well.

Thanks for any help!

Most of the forum angst is attributable to COD's forced release, before it was finished. The very good news is that the sim hasn't been released and forgotten like many publisher/developers, but there is a deep commitment to not only fix COD, but release a number of sequel theaters, that will add new maps and aircraft, features, and fixes that can be applied to COD.

The single player experience at the moment is not great, but this will be steadily improved by the developer and community. I would say there is no doubt that the single player experience will eventually be far superior to the original IL-2 series and BOB WOV. Their are features like "Triggers" that few if any past WW2 aircombat flight sims have that will give the community the ability to make very immersive single player missions and campaigns. There are a number in the community who have been quite negative on the future of the series, and are doing there best to scare away potential supporters, but at the moment there is an eighty percent chance they will be wrong. If your a WW2 aircombat sim enthusiast and supporter COD is a MUST buy now.

I see your choice as one of these two.

Choice #1 = Pay and Wait
Choice #2 = Wait and Pay

Either choice will work...It's your money to loan/spend/invest?
Good Luck to You....and the rest of us....

Personally I chose to invest now. For me the investment is miniscule compared to the pay back. If people can't afford it thats a totally different equation.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3545786 - 03/27/12 02:45 AM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Gman45]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

Chivas you are making this very tempting. I may take the plunge next month sale or no sale.

#3545864 - 03/27/12 09:00 AM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Check out some of my movies for a look at the graphics. You for sure need a good machine to run it. Some of my movies are from multiplayer, which is great fun.

Frey, I've taken the liberty of posting one of your video clips "Spitfire scramble from Hawkinge". Technically it may or may not be one of your favourites, but it accurately depicts the online mayhem of scrambling a Spitfire from an airfield under attack. Things to note:

- cthe workload necessary to start and warm up your Spit while under fire,
- explosions in the near distance,
- another Spit pilot opening his throttle too quickly in panic and barely succeeding in executing a loopy take off,
- a low level strafing attack by a 109 which takes out the Spitfire next to you - killing the pilot and setting the leaking fuel on fire under the aircraft
- Your own take off with workload needed to transition to combat settings
- Your spotting a 109 low to the ground and you manuevering behind him (was he sleeping? LOL)
- unexpected ending

While this clip doesn't have the polish of some of your other videos, it gives me that strong sense of "being there":

However, these are captured from online play, and as this thread is responding to a question about OFFline play,
it is not pertinent, in that the features you note are provided by other players, not by the game AI.

#3545930 - 03/27/12 12:55 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Gman45]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Offline play is particularly poor.

The patch, if it ever comes, might change that but, most people have given up on CoD, there are only a few die-hards who are sticking it out. As I write this there are 12 members on the website forum, there are 87 at DCS and 66 at BMS. This is normal now and it used to be reversed. So even in comparison to other sims, it is losing members interest rapidly.

Its been broken for a year and needs fixing for most to get any enjoyment. Hope they are forthcoming with the patch they have been promising for soooooooo long. We'lll see.

#3545946 - 03/27/12 01:17 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: PV1]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: PV1
Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper
Check out some of my movies for a look at the graphics. You for sure need a good machine to run it. Some of my movies are from multiplayer, which is great fun.

Frey, I've taken the liberty of posting one of your video clips "Spitfire scramble from Hawkinge". Technically it may or may not be one of your favourites, but it accurately depicts the online mayhem of scrambling a Spitfire from an airfield under attack. Things to note:

- cthe workload necessary to start and warm up your Spit while under fire,
- explosions in the near distance,
- another Spit pilot opening his throttle too quickly in panic and barely succeeding in executing a loopy take off,
- a low level strafing attack by a 109 which takes out the Spitfire next to you - killing the pilot and setting the leaking fuel on fire under the aircraft
- Your own take off with workload needed to transition to combat settings
- Your spotting a 109 low to the ground and you manuevering behind him (was he sleeping? LOL)
- unexpected ending

While this clip doesn't have the polish of some of your other videos, it gives me that strong sense of "being there":

However, these are captured from online play, and as this thread is responding to a question about OFFline play,
it is not pertinent, in that the features you note are provided by other players, not by the game AI.

Good spotting, PV1.

The thread pretty much ruled that offline play in CoD is poor, that online play is where CoD is at for the moment and for the foreseeable future. Although the OP stated he was not really interested in online play because he currently flies Aces High, there is a CHANCE, as miniscule as it may seem, that he would actually give online play a try -- there is no additional cost of doing so. Who knows? He may actually enjoy it enough to convince his AH mates to convert over. Hence the posting of the video clips to possibly whet his appetite.

I appreciate that this is IMpertinent thinking for some and is waaaaay outside the box as defined by the OP and yourself. Guilty as charged! biggrin

Oh, @Gman45...if you DO decide to try online play, be sure to join us at the ATAG Server and grab Teamspeak 3 (it's free). We're a friendly bunch over there and welcome all newcomers. thumbsup

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3546212 - 03/27/12 09:59 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Robusti]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Icarus1
..., most people have given up on CoD, there are only a few die-hards who are sticking it out. As I write this there are 12 members on the website forum, there are 87 at DCS and 66 at BMS. This is normal now and it used to be reversed. So even in comparison to other sims, it is losing members interest rapidly. .

Not sure those forum 'snapshots' are so useful in isolation. Right now eg I'm seeing 35 at RoF, 32 at COD and 18 at DCS.

Also not sure 'most people' have given up on offline play. My offline missions went past 3,000 downloads last week.

OK I guess that could be ten nutters downloading 300 times each... Or maybe there are people out there playing CoD offline.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot still to fix in this sim, but it is playable and enjoyable as it is today, for me. I feel I got my money's worth so far.

Reminds me of when BoB2 came out. Buggy as hell. Took two years before I could play it without crashes. Stuck with it. Still enjoy it seven years and six patches later.

[Linked Image]
#3546240 - 03/27/12 10:32 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Robusti]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Offline play is particularly poor.

The patch, if it ever comes, might change that but, most people have given up on CoD, there are only a few die-hards who are sticking it out. As I write this there are 12 members on the website forum, there are 87 at DCS and 66 at BMS. This is normal now and it used to be reversed.

[Admin Edit]Nope, we're not doing this. [\Admin Edit]

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3546253 - 03/27/12 10:56 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Freycinet]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany

I'd be careful with such 'accusations'. I and many others definitely think the the offline aspect of CloD at the moment simply sucks. I respect that some people obviously can enjoy the sim even at its current state, but let's try to be a tiny little bit objective, ok?

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3546259 - 03/27/12 11:06 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Gman45]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3546263 - 03/27/12 11:15 PM Re: Newb question: Is CoD worth it? [Re: Freycinet]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.