CuMelter Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift
CuMelter  Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift

Twin States, USA
I get a little confused at times.
I want to take a SAM site out.
I'm roughly 30 miles away- I'll take her up to around 20K -
I have 3 modes to choose...TOO, SP & Pre-Brief programmed.
TOO explains itself...the missle heads down the road and homes in on the first/strongest signal it receives.
Ok..fine. Fire and Semi-Forget.
I'll let one loose at around 20 miles away.
Then send another around 17.

Typical training mission will take you in front of the sam site...the search radar and the SA-10 radar sites.
I want to take out the SA-10 first.
I don't know how.
I can see using the ground radar...but I'm not sure what I have locked up on the MFD display is the SA-10...
I'll see two threat icons on the left HARM mfd...but I don't know how to toggle which radar emitter to lockon.
I'm sure I have the proper MFD selected..I'll see the diamond in the upper right corner of the MFD's display.
Sorry, I'm used to Falcon & Allied Force where you actually lock up a site that's emitting a signal & then release your weapon.

Thanks for helping this ol'bird.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3545118 - 03/26/12 02:25 AM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: CuMelter]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
With the TDC diamond in the HARM page, the Backspace key will toggle among HARM targets, so you can prioritize.

In TOO mode, you will not get any range information as the HARM is a passive seeker, but you can estimate if you know about where the emitter is (e.g. if guarding a target at a WP of known distance) or sometimes using the 'through the HUD' targetting on the square HARM target icon so you can guesstimate the range to fire. 30 nm at 20K feet (or probably as low as 10000 ft) is as good as any. In PB mode, where a target has been pre-briefed, you WILL get range info when toggling the HUD to show range to target. Note that the PB targets have to have been built into the mission by the mission builder. You cannot select targets to be PB on the Mission Map before flight.

Note there is a little bug/cheat wherein, with a TOO HARM target in the seeker page, the FLIR will show a TTMR (Time to Maximum Range) countdown. When this reaches 0:00 you can fire your HARM!

Last edited by Recluse; 03/26/12 02:27 AM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3545174 - 03/26/12 04:34 AM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: CuMelter]  
CuMelter Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift
CuMelter  Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift

Twin States, USA
That's a rodg-
I'll usually get up to 20k and launch around 25 miles out.
Now OT-
I remember back when I had Jane's before-
There was a command line you could put into the INI file to get rid of the nag "Would You Like to End Your Mission Now?"

Does anyone remember that line?

#3545280 - 03/26/12 11:19 AM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: Recluse]  
Timc Offline
Timc  Offline

Fort Pierce, Florida
I do not know about removing a command line to remove the question of whether you wish to end the game now, but you can go into the mission builder and easily remove it or change virtually anything you wish.

#3545301 - 03/26/12 12:30 PM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: CuMelter]  
Lion Offline
Lion  Offline

Canada
HARMs can strike any threats at any altitude beginning at 35 nm. That's about 0:41 if you're using the FLIR exploit.

well, unless there's a mountain in the way...

Last edited by Lion; 03/26/12 12:30 PM.
#3545344 - 03/26/12 01:33 PM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: CuMelter]  
CuMelter Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift
CuMelter  Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift

Twin States, USA
I'm still re-learning the game. I had enough trouble isolating the issues w/displays.
I plugged up the Asus Card again. The Hi-Def was- uhh...WOW...Hi DEf...but I had the 16-bit rainbow skies again.
And I could tell the FPS were struggling to define the landscape as I flew NOE.
I was attempting to clean up the screen using AA...and all the other damned options today's video card will offer one.
anyone ever heard of configuring windows to use two different video cards.
The onboard works great w/Janes...I need the pci-e card for FalconAF & LOMAC/IL-1946
It's not really a pita taking the card out, its a pita putting it back in and switching cables from VGA to HDMI...this board/cabinet is super tight constraints and I have to grab my glasses, feel around for that little finger clip on the pci slot..its right next to a capacitor. Oh yeh...we got fun switching video.

#3545521 - 03/26/12 06:14 PM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: CuMelter]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Do you mean DVI rather than HDMI?

I can't recall if you can have both running simultaneously. At worst there should be a BIOS setup option to enable/disable the Onboard Video.

Can't you just have one cable from the onboard card to the VGA port on the monitor and one from the DVI port on the PCI card and switch the monitor to either DVI or VGA to pull the VGA or DVI signal?

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3545558 - 03/26/12 07:08 PM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: Recluse]  
CuMelter Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift
CuMelter  Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift

Twin States, USA
Originally Posted By: Recluse
Do you mean DVI rather than HDMI?
I can't recall if you can have both running simultaneously. At worst there should be a BIOS setup option to enable/disable the Onboard Video.
Can't you just have one cable from the onboard card to the VGA port on the monitor and one from the DVI port on the PCI card and switch the monitor to either DVI or VGA to pull the VGA or DVI signal?

Its been my experience that it was always UnWise to have more than one set of video drivers per os.
Now the onboard is VGA...the card offers 3-
VGA, HDMI & DMI
Jane's will work great using the OnBoard video (which means, I have to go into the bios and reset/reconfigure those video settings)
Jane's will work using the nVidia now (uhh...) but I get rainbow skies (and tunneling if any tweak is applied whatsoever.)
Of course, LOMAC laughs at the onboard. I'll get the interface and the CTD if I try to jump into the pit.
Allied Force will play nicely w/the onboard, if you turn off clouds, trees, shadows, reflections...otherwise CTD (sometimes).

I look like some monkey staring at a human skull with this thing. JFA18 has some neat stuff that makes me want to continue this excercise in therapeutic hell.

I tried using the two cable thing. VGA cable going to the MB, and either DMI or HDMI going to the card.
But how do you tell windows which one to use?....w/o going into device manager and removing.
Its a true pain in the ass. Unless someone knows a better trick, pass it on down.
I thought I could go into window's system properties and set up seperate user profiles, but I wasn't successful.
I haven't setup multiple user accounts yet. That might be of help. Dunno.
And the energy to do so is more than I have at the moment.

But I'll admit...getting back into Jane's F/A 18 has been more fun that I had anticipated.
High Details but I turn off those whimpy clouds. Bump the sliders just a tad.
She's smoothe as silk, all element displays are extremely fluid. From the chaff/flares to the cloud layer extensions, missle trails to the 3d lighting, lights shimmering on the waters to the perfectly gradienced sun glares...and with all the toys to play with...those coders really had their act together. Judging one corner to the other- Jane's F/A-18 would please any hardcore simmer.

#3547015 - 03/29/12 05:10 AM Re: HARM employment Questions [Re: CuMelter]  
CuMelter Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift
CuMelter  Offline
W-W Super 220 Swift

Twin States, USA
Here- Have a little fun-
Stay on the deck and just watch or throttle up and join the fight.
But you run the risk of your ship sinking should you decide to view the conflict from the deck.
Altered States Mission. Merely place in your training folder.
Multiple SAMs, Bogies, Task Force under fire, Battle group depleting their inventory.
Random weather
Time: 17:30
No flags/triggers set yet..all coming in at once charge

or direct your browser below-
http://www.frontiernet.net/~dreagh/Janes/Altered_States.zip

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.