#3526891 - 02/27/12 08:53 AM Re: Flight Time [Re: Mace71]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Originally Posted By: paulrkiii
you could say "when my head moves right twice we'll turn to the right" which would cut out having to make a call to your wingman you're turning right.

Ok, how many did the head movement when reading that? I did lol biggrin

GAHAHAHAHHAHA, I admit, I did it....

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3526902 - 02/27/12 09:20 AM Re: Flight Time [Re: BeachAV8R]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
You took the time to learn how to operate the A-10's systems ... why not take the time to learn how to fly aircraft? It's a skill that will translate directly to -all- your sims.

What makes you think I'm not doing this?

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Anyway - the whole "two aircraft are the same" is a moot point anyway. I've never flown two of the same type of aircraft that acted the same. Each has particularities to it. One might temp out a % lower or generate more torque for the same fuel flow. So you could very well have a lead flying 100% and a wingman able to do it at 98%. Or you could have a lead flying 98% power and a wing needing 100% power to keep up. The minute a plane comes off the assembly line it starts developing its own personality.

Would be cool to have this in the sim, have the aircraft have their own personalities... biggrin

- Ice
#3526973 - 02/27/12 01:28 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: - Ice
What makes you think I'm not doing this?

Your posts? smile

--
44th VFW
#3526982 - 02/27/12 01:47 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: GrayGhost]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
And yet you're still expected to keep up with lead at 100% under certain circustances smile

And that..is the definition of putting a square peg in a round hole. Theory vs. reality. If your plane can't do it - you can't do it - regardless of whether you are Walter Mitty or Chuck Yeager.

#3527022 - 02/27/12 02:38 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: BeachAV8R]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Beach, while I can't claim to be working on military aircraft, I do happen to know people who do, like I imagine you do as well. The maintenance guys should probably tell you something like this: Sure, every airframe will have acquired some 'personality' in that you have to trim one a click to the left, the other two clicks to the right - the engines however are trimmed accurately to spec, and there will be nothing impossible about the situation I described - the aircraft will fly like they're supposed to, ie. more or less the same. These aren't airliners, they're high-performance fighter jets that are constantly tightened up to deliver consistent performance.

And I'll add this again - these pilots train to stay together at 100% power, be it military or afterburner. If something happens and one can't keep up, that's the way life goes, but reality still is that those aircraft can, and do, on a regular basis smile

And that..is the definition of putting a square peg in a round hole. Theory vs. reality. If your plane can't do it - you can't do it - regardless of whether you are Walter Mitty or Chuck Yeager.

--
44th VFW
#3527079 - 02/27/12 03:16 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: GrayGhost]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
The maintenance guys should probably tell you something like this: Sure, every airframe will have acquired some 'personality' in that you have to trim one a click to the left, the other two clicks to the right - the engines however are trimmed accurately to spec, and there will be nothing impossible about the situation I described - the aircraft will fly like they're supposed to, ie. more or less the same. These aren't airliners, they're high-performance fighter jets that are constantly tightened up to deliver consistent performance.

The military must be significantly different than civil aviation then. Because I can 100% guarantee you that different aircraft with the same engines perform significantly different. Heck - even the same engines on the same airframe perform significantly differently. Our current Citation V (JT15D-5A engines) has engines that differ by 40 lbs. of fuel flow side to side and 20C of ITT split. The only thing that ever matches up perfectly in flight are the N1 RPMs (assuming the engine sync is working).

I've also flown different serial numbers of the same aircraft (Citation S/II) that had very significant flight characteristics. The S/II I flew for the textile company I was employed by was 30 knots faster than the same airframe/engine combo that was only a few serial numbers away from another S/II I flew (for Alltel communications). The Alltel S/II had the nickname "Old Smokey" because it had an engine that would smoke significantly after shutdown. If the Alltel S/II were in cruise at 100% power it wouldn't be able to keep up with the other S/II. Same with our different serial number King Airs. We have one that is 20 knots faster at the same power setting. There are so many variables to a jet engine that no two are exactly alike.

Quote:
And I'll add this again - these pilots train to stay together at 100% power, be it military or afterburner. If something happens and one can't keep up, that's the way life goes, but reality still is that those aircraft can, and do, on a regular basis smile

Except when they can't right? wink

I'm just giving my direct observations from my thousands of hours in aircraft. I'd be curious what a military pilot thinks about (if) military fighters also have performance differences between serial numbers.

#3527095 - 02/27/12 03:29 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

And yet you're still expected to keep up with lead at 100% under certain circustances smile

You work angles. At least that's my understanding. Lead usually gives you some area to work with though if it's straight. In training environment...

#3527105 - 02/27/12 03:42 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: Fridge]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: Fridge
It was eye opening for people to learn that their wingmen couldn't keep up when the lead was at full throttle and how much coordination it requires to stay in close formation (when required) and fight as a pair. They had no idea that how badly they flew was magnified and mirrored in their wingman.

"WC, how *fast* are you going?"

WC: "Oh, sorry! OK, Fan RPM is now (back) at 75%."

notworthy

#3527116 - 02/27/12 04:04 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: BeachAV8R]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

... (snipped for brevity

I'm not disagreeing or saying that you're wrong when it comes to those aircraft. What I -am- saying is that if you're dealing with an F-15 for example, the crew chiefs will be tightening the screws to make sure the engine is at spec (incidentally, BTW, the engines are typically trimmed to less than full rated power in order to extend their life - IIRC for a -220 the typical trim is 97% as an example).

Quote:
Except when they can't right? wink

You can have an engine problem, you may have expended far fewer munitions, you may have burned a lot less fuel. All that means that you'll end up staying with lead anyway, but probably at lower altitude since you give up pitch for speed. In a turning situation you go inside the circle. There are limitations to everything, but one way or another, you have to keep up.

Quote:
I'm just giving my direct observations from my thousands of hours in aircraft. I'd be curious what a military pilot thinks about (if) military fighters also have performance differences between serial numbers.

They do - military pilots will or should probably tell you that each airframe has to be trimmed a little different etc.
Fact is that there is a necessity of being able to keep up at 100% in certain situations. In some cases they are relatively short (ie a maneuvering dogfight lasting 60 sec) to a 5 minute high-spped dash to intercept. If you can't maintain formation, the tactics that you want to use can become ineffective. Nothing is perfect of course, but you get the idea smile

--
44th VFW
#3527306 - 02/27/12 08:24 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Your posts? smile

Ok then. I will assume that you missed all the bits I've said about having fun doing formation landings and #%&*$# about leads who leave their wingman behind.

There are limitations to everything, but one way or another, you have to keep up.

Yes, but what if those limitations are exactly the things that prevent you from keeping up? How hard is it for lead to just putter along at 95% throttle so you at least have 5% to play with for catch-up? Surely the waypoints are not set up so that the flight has to be at 100% all the time.

Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
"WC, how *fast* are you going?"

WC: "Oh, sorry! OK, Fan RPM is now (back) at 75%."

notworthy

It used to be that you'd have to ask the lead for speed and altitude checks every so often in order to "keep up." But as skills improve, the wingman can learn to position the lead on one area of his cockpit and keep him there. At first, I had to stare at the lead's aircraft like a serial killer fixating on his next victim, but as time wore on, I could relax a bit and enjoy the scenery while keeping lead in check. The "scan" we do with instruments and systems during flight, I just needed to add "check the lead's position" on that sequence, once it got second-nature, it was fun.

- Ice
#3527395 - 02/27/12 10:38 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Ok then. I will assume that you missed all the bits I've said about having fun doing formation landings and #%&*$# about leads who leave their wingman behind.

No, I just happened to read all the other bits, too smile

Yes, but what if those limitations are exactly the things that prevent you from keeping up? How hard is it for lead to just putter along at 95% throttle so you at least have 5% to play with for catch-up? Surely the waypoints are not set up so that the flight has to be at 100% all the time.

Pretty hard for lead to do less if he's briefed a max-performance climb-out, or he's in the middle of combat. Having loaded up on 6 mavs and 12 GBUs, you might find it hard to keep up - that, other than damage, is about the only reason I can come up with for being unable to keep up. Lead needs to do a little bit of due diligence when setting up the climbout and the formation for it, but so does the wingman, then keep up.

Quote:
It used to be that you'd have to ask the lead for speed and altitude checks every so often in order to "keep up." But as skills improve, the wingman can learn to position the lead on one area of his cockpit and keep him there. At first, I had to stare at the lead's aircraft like a serial killer fixating on his next victim, but as time wore on, I could relax a bit and enjoy the scenery while keeping lead in check. The "scan" we do with instruments and systems during flight, I just needed to add "check the lead's position" on that sequence, once it got second-nature, it was fun.

That's true, but it's a lot easier if there's a contract to begin with, and then no one needs to ask anything (most of the time). Just an idea.

--
44th VFW
#3527652 - 02/28/12 09:02 AM Re: Flight Time [Re: GrayGhost]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No, I just happened to read all the other bits, too smile

And you still think I'm not learning/did not learn how to fly the aircraft? Just because I belittled the in-game use vs. real life use?

Pretty hard for lead to do less if he's briefed a max-performance climb-out, or he's in the middle of combat. Having loaded up on 6 mavs and 12 GBUs, you might find it hard to keep up - that, other than damage, is about the only reason I can come up with for being unable to keep up. Lead needs to do a little bit of due diligence when setting up the climbout and the formation for it, but so does the wingman, then keep up.

I'm no expert, but how often is a flight required to do a max-performance climb? Even after the max-performance climb, surely the lead can reduce throttle AT LEAST 5-10% to allow the wingman to catch up. Like I said, surely the waypoints aren't set up that the flight MUST be in 100% all the time. Combat is fine and I think formation flying is a bit more relaxed to give way to survivability (ie, increased spacing, a bit wider "station", etc.). I think you are confusing an incompetent wingman who despite lead's efforts cannot keep up with a wingman who cannot keep up despite trying due to several possible reasons (drag, engine performance, maneuvers, lead always on 100% throttle, etc.)

That's true, but it's a lot easier if there's a contract to begin with, and then no one needs to ask anything (most of the time). Just an idea.

And what, pray tell, is that contract? That the lead just "do his thing" and let the wingman figure out how to keep up? I know that the lead has other duties and is not expected to babysit the wingman and make sure he is in formation, but again, how hard is it to park his throttle at 90-95% setting THEN go about his job? Also, this "contract and no one needs to ask" is all fine and dandy in real life, with guys who do this for a living and have probably flown with each other several times. In a hobby where you fly with different guys, I feel that more exchange of information means you're more likely to be on the same page with your wingman.

- Ice
#3527719 - 02/28/12 01:23 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I'm no expert, but how often is a flight required to do a max-performance climb?

As required. If you're close enough to the front taking off from base or coming off the tanker and you must get to a certain altitude, you might want to do such a climb out. If you have to intercept bandits from a GAI mission, you pretty much must do such a climbout.

Any time that time is of the essence, or you have to get to altitude within a certain distance, or you have to keep up energy, you'll be at 100% throttle. And while lead can reduce throttle after, he certainly doesn't have to (again, as situation requires) and he certainly doesn't have to give you a whopping 5-10%. 2-3% is enough.
Formations are never 'relaxed'. Each formation has a purpose, including its spacing, and you're expected to be pretty much exactly on station. If you're in tactical line-abreast, you're expected to be on the 3-9 line at 6000'. Not in front of it, not behind it, but right on it, with a little wiggle room for distance and altitude. The enemy would like to shoot lead first, so if you don't maintain the line, guess what happens.

Quote:
Even after the max-performance climb, surely the lead can reduce throttle AT LEAST 5-10% to allow the wingman to catch up. Like I said, surely the waypoints aren't set up that the flight MUST be in 100% all the time. Combat is fine and I think formation flying is a bit more relaxed to give way to survivability (ie, increased spacing, a bit wider "station", etc.). I think you are confusing an incompetent wingman who despite lead's efforts cannot keep up with a wingman who cannot keep up despite trying due to several possible reasons (drag, engine performance, maneuvers, lead always on 100% throttle, etc.)

Yes, lead just 'does his thing', which is flying the contract. It wouldn't be much of a contract if lead didn't have to hit certain parameters - ie. if we're thinking of an A-10, let's say rejoins at 250, tactical formations at 280, etc (you can decided whatever contract you want, and lead can brief a different one or change it in flight if required, i.e. 'push it up 280' or call that he's slowing - not that you shouldn't be able to keep up with the changes, but if he changes the contract he should say so).

Quote:
And what, pray tell, is that contract? That the lead just "do his thing" and let the wingman figure out how to keep up? I know that the lead has other duties and is not expected to babysit the wingman and make sure he is in formation, but again, how hard is it to park his throttle at 90-95% setting THEN go about his job? Also, this "contract and no one needs to ask" is all fine and dandy in real life, with guys who do this for a living and have probably flown with each other several times. In a hobby where you fly with different guys, I feel that more exchange of information means you're more likely to be on the same page with your wingman.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 02/28/12 11:23 PM.

--
44th VFW
#3528153 - 02/28/12 09:40 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
I just posted a very simple mission I made with an AI A-10C to practice straight and level station keeping.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3528152.html#Post3528152

It's much harder than it sounds. Give it a try!

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3528495 - 02/29/12 08:56 AM Re: Flight Time [Re: EinsteinEP]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Very nice Einstein, thanks!

- Ice
#3530467 - 03/02/12 03:46 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: EinsteinEP]  
darkmouse Offline
darkmouse  Offline

If the lead AC has 100% power set his wingman/men will never keep up - simple as that. The lead must give some margin for jockeying the throttle, powering up when on the outside of a turn etc. Sure frontline guys doing it day in day out may be able to cut that margin to a tiny fraction, but its still gotta exist.

And one very important reason for close formation is getting 2/3/4 AC where ever they need to be as if they were a singleton - so three formations only give rise to three sets of RT calls as opposed to potentially 12 or more - and if they are communicating like a singleton, they need to behave like a singleton - close formation.

ps - The most useful reason for close formation? Absolute hooning run and breaks to look cool as #%&*$# (and get down quickly of course)!

Last edited by darkmouse; 03/02/12 03:52 PM.
#3530663 - 03/02/12 06:49 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: darkmouse]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: darkmouse
If the lead AC has 100% power set his wingman/men will never keep up - simple as that.

What GrayGhost is not so clearly trying to say is that even with full power, if Lead is manuevering, the Wingman can turn inside Lead to close distance, even with similar power settings. This is basis for circular rejoins.

Now why a decent Flight Lead would choose to run at full throttle and then weave so his wingman could maintain formation, instead of just pulling the throttle back is beyond me.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3530671 - 03/02/12 06:58 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: EinsteinEP]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
If the lead AC has 100% power set his wingman/men will never keep up - simple as that.

What GrayGhost is not so clearly trying to say is that even with full power, if Lead is manuevering, the Wingman can turn inside Lead to close distance, even with similar power settings. This is basis for circular rejoins.

Mainly yes, it also applies to some form of fighting wing maneuvering as well.

Quote:
Now why a decent Flight Lead would choose to run at full throttle and then weave so his wingman could maintain formation, instead of just pulling the throttle back is beyond me.

The answer to that one is 'it depends'. I'll ask about technique and see if I get a useful and clear answer to this question.

--
44th VFW
#3530710 - 03/02/12 07:59 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: EinsteinEP]  
darkmouse Offline
darkmouse  Offline

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP

I'm still not following this then - in fighting wing with plenty of turning yeah you use lead and lag to maintain your position, or in a tail chase, but in close formation? Impossible - It just doesn't happen - and as alluded to earlier, sods law the leads machine will be running like a thoroughbred and yours'll be pulling like a lame donkey - he needs to give you some margin. Even in straight and level flight if he has his throttle jammed open you will have to make tiny adjustments to stay in position - he doesn't make any, and would therefore outstrip you almost immediately.

I have never seen any SOP's suggesting full throttle formation is ever done - I am willing to stand corrected, but I honestly can't think of any logical explanation as to how its even possible!

#3530754 - 03/02/12 08:44 PM Re: Flight Time [Re: darkmouse]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
I'm still not following this then - in fighting wing with plenty of turning yeah you use lead and lag to maintain your position, or in a tail chase, but in close formation? Impossible - It just doesn't happen - and as alluded to earlier, sods law the leads machine will be running like a thoroughbred and yours'll be pulling like a lame donkey - he needs to give you some margin. Even in straight and level flight if he has his throttle jammed open you will have to make tiny adjustments to stay in position - he doesn't make any, and would therefore outstrip you almost immediately.

I have never seen any SOP's suggesting full throttle formation is ever done - I am willing to stand corrected, but I honestly can't think of any logical explanation as to how its even possible!

That's what the rest of us are saying/thinking. Very interested to see GrayGhost's material, but even if a whole wing of experienced combat pilots swore that they maintained close formation at full power, I would need some explanation of the physics (and a clear defintion of "close") before I could accept that claim. Antecdotal evidence never trumps physics.

To be fair, I don't think Gray (or anyone else) is saying that pilots maintain close formation at full power. I think it's an assumption that hasn't been flushed out.

Last edited by EinsteinEP; 03/02/12 08:45 PM. Reason: cut and paste orphan

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.