Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3510950 - 02/04/12 08:23 AM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I think dynamic weather is very much a pipe dream Chivas, we cant even get the 2D clouds or new 3D ones yet.

The memory was again caused by them, it entered the sim in the last but one patch(or maybe the last one?) so you would of thought they could find the error after 4 months.
Lets hope you are right when you say Chivas they are playing their cards close to their chest with this one, and we get a host of very important fixes.

If they fix the memory leak bug i will take my extra month at 1C. smile

My guess is we get a FPS boost and a few patch padding bits and pieces...then another very long wait and more excuses about how hard game development is, plus some more shots of the sequel that will have fixed all the problems so we better buy it.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 02/04/12 09:32 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3510976 - 02/04/12 10:14 AM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: Chivas]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Chivas
If that huge increase of frame rates comes to pass, that should make room for a few more frame eating optional features to be implement for those with the system power to run them. That could be good news for features like Dynamic Weather at some point.

Unless the frame rate increases are again at the expense of features currently in the game. Hope not, but the track record so far isn't great.

I do believe the CTD will be fixed if the new engine works. Pretty sure it's caused by graphics now, as setting them down to fugly and low resolution greatly delays the frequency of CTDs. So in that respect, I'm hopeful.

#3511153 - 02/04/12 05:04 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: robmypro]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: robmypro
Lots of questions. Very few answers.

Are you surprised?

I wonder if they feed this same non-information to the publisher?

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3511235 - 02/04/12 07:28 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
I think dynamic weather is very much a pipe dream Chivas, we cant even get the 2D clouds or new 3D ones yet.

The memory was again caused by them, it entered the sim in the last but one patch(or maybe the last one?) so you would of thought they could find the error after 4 months.
Lets hope you are right when you say Chivas they are playing their cards close to their chest with this one, and we get a host of very important fixes.

If they fix the memory leak bug i will take my extra month at 1C. smile

My guess is we get a FPS boost and a few patch padding bits and pieces...then another very long wait and more excuses about how hard game development is, plus some more shots of the sequel that will have fixed all the problems so we better buy it.

I doubt very much that Dynamic Weather is a pipe dream and I believe it will be implemented when there are enough game resources to allow decent frame rates, exactly the same way they added features in the original IL-2 over the years. All the communities angst is just a factor if a sim release unfinished and not optimized. It appears the graphics rewrite and code optimizations has made close to a hundred percent increase in frame rates which should allow more complicated features to be implemented. I don't think cheescakes worry that the increased in frame rates was at the cost of existing features, but it is possible.

My guess is also that there will be enough increase in frame rates that will allow far more people with average systems to play online and offline, with far less CTD's. Although people who try to play COD with low spec systems will still experience CTD's.

There will probably be a considerable wait for the following patch, because developing a sim this complex IS time consuming and difficult. There is no conspiracy to screw people over, just a group of combat sim enthusiast trying to stay employed in a genre they love. They may not be the perfect developer, but when I take a close look at the FMB, I'm quite impressed at what they have achieved so far.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3511248 - 02/04/12 07:43 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Originally Posted By: robmypro
Lots of questions. Very few answers.

Are you surprised?

I wonder if they feed this same non-information to the publisher?

Not surprised at all, and its a tactic the developer should have incorporated a long time ago as some in the community have no idea on the complexities of a development. The IC publisher and main developer are well aware of the Maddox Games situation and can handle the truth, as they are still providing support, financially and otherwise, for the moment. Continued support may depend on the next patches providing far more players, decent frame rates, with some of the game play issues addressed.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3511265 - 02/04/12 08:02 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Chivas, the developer saying we hope to include this feature when the game is released in 12 months is one thing but when the developer says "this is almost fixed and will be in the patch very soon!..." and then it doesn't appear and is never spoken of again, is that our fault that it leaves people confused and asking questions?

There is a big difference between the two.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 02/04/12 08:03 PM.
#3511281 - 02/04/12 08:21 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Chivas, the developer saying we hope to include this feature when the game is released in 12 months is one thing but when the developer says "this is almost fixed and will be in the patch very soon!..." and then it doesn't appear and is never spoken of again, is that our fault that it leaves people confused and asking questions?

Hmmm, you could be right, but I don't remember the developer ever saying the Dynamic Weather "is almost fixed and will be in the patch very soon!..."

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3511286 - 02/04/12 08:30 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: Chivas]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
I really hope at some point the re-write allows enough headroom for trees to be objects that aren't transparant. If you have a sim that is struggling for realism, this is a must IMO. Many of my flight sim "pucker" moments have been trying to bring a wounded bird home and having to find a clearing to land it. This is not a problem in COD, you can just land it in a dense forest and all is well. Total immersion killer. With a sim that has a "state of the art" damage model, it seems even more important to have the issues present of trying to land a damaged plane. I know they said that this probably wasn't possible the way the trees are in the game. They also said the way the use the "speedtree" tech is different from anyone else, I guess it shows that this "special" way they are using it has probably nerfed them being collision objects. Just guessing.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3511319 - 02/04/12 09:02 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: Force10]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Force10
I really hope at some point the re-write allows enough headroom for trees to be objects that aren't transparant. If you have a sim that is struggling for realism, this is a must IMO. Many of my flight sim "pucker" moments have been trying to bring a wounded bird home and having to find a clearing to land it. This is not a problem in COD, you can just land it in a dense forest and all is well. Total immersion killer. With a sim that has a "state of the art" damage model, it seems even more important to have the issues present of trying to land a damaged plane. I know they said that this probably wasn't possible the way the trees are in the game. They also said the way the use the "speedtree" tech is different from anyone else, I guess it shows that this "special" way they are using it has probably nerfed them being collision objects. Just guessing.

Totally agree and they have to find away around this SpeedTree collision problem. Its a total immersion killer. I've never much liked Speedtrees in the first place but understood the developers dilemma. Regular trees where a huge performance hit on the large map, and adding a collision model too SpeedTree had the same problem. One solution looked better, while much fewer trees, and alot of trees without a collision model, had the same problem of being able to land almost anywhere. This has to be addressed, but I'm not sure the developer will be able to address the problem until a few other major issues are addressed. The developer would much rather have trees with a collision model and I can't see them not addressing the issue at some point.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3511321 - 02/04/12 09:05 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: Chivas]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Hmmm, you could be right, but I don't remember the developer ever saying the Dynamic Weather "is almost fixed and will be in the patch very soon!..."

Agreed that never happened with the dynamic weather Chivas.
Though i could name a few others features it did.

#3511327 - 02/04/12 09:14 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: Chivas]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Totally agree and they have to find away around this SpeedTree collision problem. Its a total immersion killer. I've never much liked Speedtrees in the first place but understood the developers dilemma. Regular trees where a huge performance hit on the large map, and adding a collision model too SpeedTree had the same problem. One solution looked better, while much fewer trees, and alot of trees without a collision model, had the same problem of being able to land almost anywhere. This has to be addressed, but I'm not sure the developer will be able to address the problem until a few other major issues are addressed. The developer would much rather have trees with a collision model and I can't see them not addressing the issue at some point.

I would rather they had much less but better placed trees, at the moment they look like they are auto-generated at random and it looks very unnatural. if they could get them better placed around roads and a few forests then maybe they could be a collision model for them.

#3511394 - 02/04/12 10:32 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

I would rather they had much less but better placed trees, at the moment they look like they are auto-generated at random and it looks very unnatural. if they could get them better placed around roads and a few forests then maybe they could be a collision model for them.

I usually fly at treetop level into the target areas, when on Jabo and Ju88 runs, trying to avoid contact. I would like to see many of the trees placed along roads, railroads, field borders replaced with hedgerows. This would vastly improve mark one eyeball navigation, and also make the terrain more believable. Although the hedgerows would also require a collision model. Small groups of trees amongst the hedgerows would not be mistaken for or mask forests. This would be such a huge job that I feel it would only be done by a dedicated modder with alot of time on his hands.

Last edited by Chivas; 02/04/12 10:34 PM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3511451 - 02/04/12 11:24 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Yep Chivas its a real immersion killer watching enemy planes escaping by flying through the trees too.

I still say the landscape and tree placement was far and away better in the early builds of CLOD....

By furbs9999 at 2010-10-25

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 02/04/12 11:29 PM.
#3511461 - 02/04/12 11:38 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Yep Chivas its a real immersion killer watching enemy planes escaping by flying through the trees too.

I still say the landscape and tree placement was far and away better in the early builds of CLOD....

By furbs9999 at 2010-10-25

I agree its probably works very well on small maps, much like the WOP BOB map, but the sim was unplayable on full BOB maps hence the use of Spreedtree technology to cut the frame rates usage.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3511621 - 02/05/12 04:41 AM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
FS_Phat Offline
FS_Phat  Offline

Hey Guys I asked B6 if the CTD/Memory leak was addressed and he responded saying the graphics patch will fix it.

FYI I am posting a bunch of new answered questions from B6 in my first post too.

Also as we now have a new infraction based system in place at 1C forums, its only fair that Furbs and Tree are welcomed back to the community as long as they read and follow the rules. If anyone is unclear about any of the new infraction penalties and how they are applied please PM one of the mods, dont open a public discussion ok!

Cheers,
Phat.

PS. You can still be banned under the infraction system, infact very quickly if you disregard the rules.

I am Intel of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI GTX 580 AC Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround
#3511643 - 02/05/12 05:50 AM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Thats great news about Furbs and Tree, now atleast Furbs has something to lose in our bet. Which is starting to look bad for him. smile

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3511674 - 02/05/12 07:23 AM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Gotta love the blind confidence Chivas! wink Right im off to 1C, was irony on the infraction list? smile

Thanks for letting me know Phat.

#3511854 - 02/05/12 03:19 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
A minor note: We don't discuss the situation around banned members. We also don't discuss moderating or policies on other sites. So, these topics should very much be avoided (falling outside the rules as they do).

Of course, I find the subject very relevant to my task here and therefore fascinating - I'm just not able to discuss it without breaking our own rules. wink

#3511992 - 02/05/12 06:54 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Gotta love the blind confidence Chivas! wink Right im off to 1C, was irony on the infraction list? smile

Thanks for letting me know Phat.

You did read Phat"s post about the graphic rewrite fixing the memory leak and CTD's, or was it easier just to ignore the statement. wink I think there is more common sense involved than blind confidence.

Last edited by Chivas; 02/05/12 06:56 PM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3512008 - 02/05/12 07:22 PM Re: Friday Update, February 3, 2012 by Blacksix @ 1C Forums [Re: FS_Phat]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

If you want to know the future, look at the past... yep

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 02/05/12 10:30 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.