Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3500172 - 01/21/12 02:49 PM Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next?  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
OK, so the test-bed terrain is out there for download. We hope you enjoy it. But, we don't want you think that will be the only one. We will continue to support it with patches and bugfixes, but we already have our sights set on something new.

Let me explain what I'd like to see us doing around here for the ThirdWire customer base. We're going to expand our operations to include more terrains, skins and decals for aircraft, and campaigns. We won't be doing too many aircraft as 3DSMax is expensive and the market is pretty saturated.

The easiest and hardest thing to make is a terrain. Easy in the sense that it's cheap, everything you need is either free or very cheap. Hard in the sense that it is time-consuming. Our terrains will be built with two goals in mind.

The first, and you may have noticed this on the Black Sea 2.0 terrain, we want them to be time-period-specific. The effective dates for BS2 start in 1992, precluding previous dates because Ukraine wasn't an independent country until then. But, moreover, we want to focus on specific time periods in air combat, 50s, 60s, etc...

Second, we want them to be as realistically populated with targets and defenses as possible. One of the things that aggravated me about Third Wire is the AI and it's responses to being engaged by ground fire. Another thing was the over-saturation of air defenses to the extent that what you were up against was not only every AAA and SAM emplacement a nation ever bought being concentrated in one little part of their country, but they probably had someone lend them a spare SA-2 site they weren't using. SAM and AAA emplacements will be realistically placed, around things worth defending. The number of them will depend on when you're flying. BS2 doesn't have that many because presumably, you're using the most advanced weaponry available, not the stock stuff.

Now, it also might help to tell you where we're NOT going.

There are two very large, comprehensive mod efforts being undertaken right now, one is Desert Storm and the other is the Korean War. Those projects are being done by large teams of people more experienced than we. You may safely assume we won't be going to either of those places in those time frames. We'd like to do things that haven't been done yet. Noe, that doesn't mean we won't visit those places during another time frame, so feel free to suggest something you think is fun.

So, it might help if I knew not only where you would like to fly, but when you'd like to fly there. We're listening, so fire away!

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3500219 - 01/21/12 03:46 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
HStar Offline
HStar  Offline

I'm thinking 3 possibilities:
- a tile covering west Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Belarus
- a tile covering part of east China, Japan, part of East Russia.
- an area North of Strait of Hormuz covering parts of Iran, Pakistan, Afganistan

#3500234 - 01/21/12 04:00 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: HStar]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: tomagabriel
- an area North of Strait of Hormuz covering parts of Iran, Pakistan, Afganistan

Cool. What time frame you thinking? I really like your Far East idea.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3500250 - 01/21/12 04:13 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Definitely Iran/Afghanistan 2001+

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#3500252 - 01/21/12 04:14 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: EricJ]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: EricJ
Definitely Iran/Afghanistan 2001+

Don't y'all already have that one, Eric?

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3500287 - 01/21/12 04:39 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
HStar Offline
HStar  Offline

Originally Posted By: PFunk
Originally Posted By: tomagabriel

Cool. What time frame you thinking? I really like your Far East idea.

Well the thing I like most about the Far East is that one can design an incredible number of scenarios affording great diversity in picking sides. We can have there USA, JAPAN, CHINA, RUSSIA in full force and allied in different configurations. The other thing that I like is that this is valid starting since the Korean War and goes on into the future. I would go for a present-future time frame as China's modern millitary assets are increasing in diversity and flexibility allowing more interesting events. At the same time, a post-Vietnam era is also very inviting.

#3500315 - 01/21/12 05:13 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah... but Iran is not to scale (vastly) so anything closer to reality would be preferable, there's not much work on more modern schemes. Operation Darius was an attempt but it was using an older map. And you can't fly all over Afghanistan, the main focus was more central. I was deployed to the Kunar in 08-09 and like to relive some moments honestly.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#3500351 - 01/21/12 05:57 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
Saguanay Offline
Saguanay  Offline

Dartmouth Canada
A small scale terrain, with many targets setup for helicopter warfare. No major airfields, all small stuff, short runways, lots of trees and hills. You could make a helicopter combat install with no fixed wing aircraft.

Yes I know Thirdwire isn't made for helos but its something different.

Last edited by Saguanay; 01/21/12 05:57 PM.

Plastic Modelers Air Combat Association via Thirdwire
-Bringing sprues to life since 2003-
Callsign=Saguanay
Tail No. 282
Member 001
#3500368 - 01/21/12 06:21 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: Saguanay]  
HStar Offline
HStar  Offline

Originally Posted By: Saguanay
A small scale terrain, with many targets setup for helicopter warfare. No major airfields, all small stuff, short runways, lots of trees and hills. You could make a helicopter combat install with no fixed wing aircraft.

Yes I know Thirdwire isn't made for helos but its something different.

I tried the Apache at CombatACE and found it a bit strange. Then I decided to stick with planes in StrikeFighters. Although I admit that a good helo add-on would make me delirious(not very optimistic about that).

#3500400 - 01/21/12 07:20 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
+1 for far East. I am personally a fan of the "stock" TW timeframe, 50's to 1980 or so. Has the most available content. I also like the idea of keeping the terrain's target saturation similar to stock.

BTW, great job on BS2. Can't wait to see what comes next.

I assume continuing support/patches will include a planning map with cities/airports just like the TW ones?

#3500407 - 01/21/12 07:32 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: arthur666]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: arthur666
+1 for far East. I am personally a fan of the "stock" TW timeframe, 50's to 1980 or so. Has the most available content. I also like the idea of keeping the terrain's target saturation similar to stock.

BTW, great job on BS2. Can't wait to see what comes next.

I assume continuing support/patches will include a planning map with cities/airports just like the TW ones?

Oh, absolutely. Any bugfixes that are needed (and I know people will advise me of them soon if there are any) will be addressed in ongoing support. We are not into abandonware.

I wish I knew how to do those planning maps, though. That is definitely a weak spot.

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3500408 - 01/21/12 07:34 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

We have a good Korea/NE China/Vladivostok map already. Ditto with Taiwan.

How about the South China Sea? Include North Vietnam, Hainan, Hong Kong, Manila and the Paracel/Spratley islands (some of which have airfields).

Roughly around here:

http://g.co/maps/tpbwz

Throw in the Chinese carrier and a couple US carriers and you'll have a very interesting theater of operations that, I think, could translate into many eras of jet combat.

#3500412 - 01/21/12 07:44 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
We can also go completely fantasy, like another Dhimar-Paran sitation. Cool thing about those is that you can literally make the conflict about anything you like.

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3500426 - 01/21/12 08:10 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
MoonJumper Offline
MoonJumper  Offline

D-CHOC
South America, Chile/Argentina, (the Beagle Channel conflict) , 70's - 80's
Africa, Rhodesia vs Zambia and Moszambique , ~1975-1980
Africa, South-West Africa/South Africa vs Angola , Border War 1966-89
Africa, Tchad vs Libya , 80's

#3500429 - 01/21/12 08:17 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: MoonJumper]  
tahoman Offline
tahoman  Offline

Spanaway, WA
Originally Posted By: MoonJumper
South America, Chile/Argentina, (the Beagle Channel conflict) , 70's - 80's
Africa, Rhodesia vs Zambia and Moszambique , ~1975-1980
Africa, South-West Africa/South Africa vs Angola , Border War 1966-89
Africa, Tchad vs Libya , 80's

I like all these, plus the far east, Korean War Era to present...

#3500461 - 01/21/12 08:58 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
Fist off... Thanks Pfunk for the new terrain... I have only had a short time with it so far but I'm liking it much!

I'm glad to hear about all the SFers work going on. I like all the Ideas brewing about. I think we should wait and see what the North Atlantic has to offer in terms of changes to the terrain engine.

I would love to see something with a North American Twist to it. I know its fictional. But it would be cool to see a Red Dawn/Homefront type terrain and campaign.

The other thing I would love to see is better Menu and Interface graphics. I was looking at the menu.cat files last eve and I might try to do some work on that myself.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson
#3500499 - 01/21/12 09:39 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: Hellmann]  
baltika Offline
baltika  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: Hellmann

I would love to see something with a North American Twist to it. I know its fictional. But it would be cool to see a Red Dawn/Homefront type terrain and campaign.

Like these?

http://combatace.com/files/file/10211-in-defence-of-texas-alamo-2010-campaign/

http://combatace.com/files/file/8180-socal-84-red-dawn-red-force-v11/

OK, I admit they need updating to SF2 standard, but that would be easier than starting from scratch. . . ;-)

#3500511 - 01/21/12 09:55 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Yeah, there's a lot of stuff out there, and I'm trying to find something that hasn't been done yet.

So far, I like the idea of an 80s Far East Russia/China/Japan type situation in the early 80s.

What about a Korean environment in the 70s?

Last edited by PFunk; 01/21/12 09:56 PM.

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3500513 - 01/21/12 09:57 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: baltika]  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
Yes!!!... Like those!!!.... updated for sf2 with keeping a 1980's setting. Have to get Canada involved too biggrin

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson
#3500514 - 01/21/12 09:57 PM Re: Where (and When) Would You Want to Go Next? [Re: PFunk]  
Wrench Offline
Wrench  Offline

Los Angeles, CA, USA
like this, perhaps....

http://combatace.com/files/file/12535-midwest-usa-terrain-for-sf2/

or this....

http://combatace.com/files/file/11286-america-southwest-texasmexico-for-sf2/

as to the Far East, Baltika's Kamchatka...

http://combatace.com/files/file/12292-kamchatka-peninsula-v20/

Persian Gulf (Straits of Hormuz), Central America and Eritrea all in the works, even as we speak

wrench
kevin stein

Terraformer Extrodinaire
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.