Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3498885 - 01/20/12 03:53 AM Red Tails Reviews are flying in.  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
I'm taking my dad and nephew this Sun. for his birthday. Anyone else going to check it out?

- Rotten tomatoes has been pretty unkind at 38/100

- MetaCritic as well at 45/100

We haven't had a "Hollywood" type production of a flight combat movie since "The Red Baron" and although weak in many ways I still really enjoyed it!

Looking forwards to Sun.

Last edited by Hellmann; 01/20/12 04:25 AM.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

Derek Robinson
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3498892 - 01/20/12 04:00 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I'll be going to see this either tomorrow night or Sunday afternoon myself, and looking forward to it!

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3498895 - 01/20/12 04:08 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
Dogsbd Offline
Dogsbd  Offline

SC, USA
I have no intention of paying to see this movie. Ever. If/when it eventually shows up on TV I might give it a look if I've been drinking enough.

The impression the trailers have left me with is that the entire Army Air Corps was incompetent, that bombers were being shot down faster than they could be built, the white fighter pilots charged with protecting them were incompetent glory hounds that left the bombers to go off and chase kills and then the "Red Tails" came along and saved the day, winning the war single handed.

Bull$hit.

If the writers of this drivel can't get across to the audience what a truly inspiring story the Tuskegee Airmen represent without resorting to tearing down other equally impressive, heroic fighter pilots then maybe they should find work more suitable to their style, like writing for the next Star Trek fantasy film.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. ~Benjamin Franklin

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." Winston Churchill

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 1TB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD x2
#3498897 - 01/20/12 04:11 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
it seemed more like a fast action movie then a half-true history representation... I'll wait to rent it.

#3498899 - 01/20/12 04:13 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Those reviews don't look so hot but I'll still be seeing it on Saturday and forming my own damn opinion! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3498901 - 01/20/12 04:13 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Hellmann

We haven't had a hollywood flight combat movie since "The Red Baron" and although weak in many ways I still really enjoyed it!

Looking forwards to Sun.
"The Red Baron" was a totally European production. It was definitely not a Hollywood film.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3498903 - 01/20/12 04:16 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Those reviews don't look so hot but I'll still be seeing it on Saturday and forming my own damn opinion! smile

^That's how I do with most movies. Which is why I'll also be going to see the new Underworld movie this weekend too.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3498909 - 01/20/12 04:24 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Hellmann

We haven't had a hollywood flight combat movie since "The Red Baron" and although weak in many ways I still really enjoyed it!

Looking forwards to Sun.
"The Red Baron" was a totally European production. It was definitely not a Hollywood film.

I meant a "Hollywood" type production with good effects and such.

Derek Robinson
#3498910 - 01/20/12 04:26 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
Navigator Offline
Hotshot
Navigator  Offline
Hotshot

Mn U.S.A.
I'l wait until its on T.V. for free.. and that could be as soon as July. WinkNGrin

Never rub another man's rhubarb.
#3498921 - 01/20/12 04:33 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: NavyNuke99]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99

^That's how I do with most movies. Which is why I'll also be going to see the new Underworld movie this weekend too.

Did you know that JMS of Babylon 5 fame co-wrote the script?

#3498935 - 01/20/12 04:51 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

It's George Lucas - one dimensional characters, wooden dialogue and acting but with spectacular visual scenes and backdrops. What we needed was Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks collaboration. Now that would be awesome to watch.

#3498942 - 01/20/12 05:01 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: WynnTTr]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: WynnTTr
What we needed was Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks collaboration. Now that would be awesome to watch.
I agree but then it would have been on HBO and not a theatrical release. biggrin

#3498979 - 01/20/12 06:05 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
I'm going tomorrow first thing after I drop my dog off at the vet. You guys are so incredibly jaded and critical. Aren't we all flight simmers who geek out on airplanes? Why would this movie not be on your must see list? This movie seems to have butt loads of combat scenes and the production quality looks to be very high with at least a modicum of historical accuracy. I bet this movie is a million times more interesting than 90% of the crap released in theatres. I'd like to see how well some of you guys can write a script and keep an audiences attention for 2 hours.

I'm sorry, but George Lucas pwns all of you.

Jason

#3498983 - 01/20/12 06:29 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
I'd rather wait and read PanzerMeyer's review later.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3498990 - 01/20/12 06:56 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
I'm going tomorrow first thing after I drop my dog off at the vet. You guys are so incredibly jaded and critical. Aren't we all flight simmers who geek out on airplanes? Why would this movie not be on your must see list? This movie seems to have butt loads of combat scenes and the production quality looks to be very high with at least a modicum of historical accuracy. I bet this movie is a million times more interesting than 90% of the crap released in theatres. I'd like to see how well some of you guys can write a script and keep an audiences attention for 2 hours.

Jason

This "Jaded attitude" is why he claims he is retiring. Some interesting tidbits in this article about his retirement and the film itself.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-red-tails-282905

I read elsewhere that he wanted to make a heroesque inspired film with actual events about a remarkable group of pilots that he would loved to have seen when he was a young lad himself.

I became an "Aviation Enthusiast" after my Dad took me to see "The Great Waldo Pepper", I was 6, and became obsessed with planes. I even made my dad buy me a P-51 plastic model kit after that. I have seen almost every aviation themed movie ever made. Most of them "can't cut the mustard" but I loved watching every single one of them regardless.

If I can pass this love of Aviation onto my Nephew the movie will have succeeded for me.

Derek Robinson
#3498998 - 01/20/12 07:06 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
I'm tempted because of the planes and the subject matter, but on the other hand I'm discouraged because of ... the planes and the subject matter.

Don't take the last part of my statement the wrong way. I've known about the Tuskegee fighter pilots since the mid-1980s, and I find their true life deeds to be inspiring and admirable. They are American heroes, in part because of the institutional racism they overcame just to earn the right to be Army aviators. And while it would be impossible to put their unique story into perspective without framing it with Jim Crow segregation of the time, I just don't know if I can stomach another story of white officers sabotaging black soldiers' careers while German POWs get to eat lunch at a local sandwich counter that is off limits to 'coloreds.'

Of course the Warbird Nerd in me would be trying read the instrument panels and flip switches in the cockpits while I was watching the movie. That would be reason enough to get excited for this kind of film, except the CGI in the clips I've seen looks too much like an XBox video game: I see waves upon waves of aircraft that are all painted exactly the same and that don't seem to have any unique coloration, markings or features. The air combat action in those clips doesn't look very convincing to me either.

I'll probably rent Red Tails as soon as it is available on DVD. I just don't think I'm willing to pay the cinema's admission price to see it on the big screen.

Remove before flight
#3498999 - 01/20/12 07:09 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

Jason

Oh it's a definite must see but going by reviews the film could have been so much better. It's got George Lucas stamped all over it - good combat scenes, visuals and cgi. Wooden dialogue/characters.
Imagine if we got the gritty realism of Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers or with the character depth of Schindler's List.

#3499011 - 01/20/12 07:35 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: WynnTTr]  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
Originally Posted By: WynnTTr
Imagine if we got the gritty realism of Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers or with the character depth of Schindler's List.

Yeah in a perfect world that would be the ideal I would hope for. If this were the case we would most likely have the first Aviation movie with an Oscar nod since the Aviator.

There are still many aviation stories to be told so I'll keep on wishing.

Here's an interesting list of Aviation Movies in case you haven't seen them:

http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/airplanes-movies.html

As it turns out I have a few left to see. Flying Tigers - With John Wayne is next on my list (after Red Tails of course).

Derek Robinson
#3499056 - 01/20/12 09:52 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Hellmann]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
What skycat said.

It reminds me of Pearl Harbour. I watched Pearl Harvour with an open mind, and tried to like it. Some of the visuals are beautiful, but the stupid sequences just ruin the entire movie, and promote an image of the war that is wrong.

Maybe that's why I won't spend money on this stuff, I jus hate seeing the things I love misrepresented.

#3499091 - 01/20/12 11:40 AM Re: Red Tails Reviews are flying in. [Re: Duchess]  
Dogsbd Offline
Dogsbd  Offline

SC, USA
Originally Posted By: joe_stallin
Some of the visuals are beautiful, but the stupid sequences just ruin the entire movie, and promote an image of the war that is wrong.

Maybe that's why I won't spend money on this stuff, I jus hate seeing the things I love misrepresented.

+1

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. ~Benjamin Franklin

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." Winston Churchill

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 1TB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD x2
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.