Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3492779 - 01/11/12 11:21 PM Advice for FSX sim (VRS or MilViz)  
Nano Offline
Nano  Offline

I have been flight simming for about 15 years, and I am now ready for a FSX sim. I am trying to decide between the VRS (F-18) and the MilViz (F-15). I am partial to carrier ops so this has me leaning towards the VRS...however, the weapons in the MilViz seem more complete?? Are the weapons in the F-15 complete to about the same level as the TacPack will be? I appreciate any advice people have to offer...I need help in making this decision. Thanks!

Mark

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3492801 - 01/11/12 11:55 PM Re: Advice for FSX sim (VRS or MilViz) [Re: Nano]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Nano,

Having flown both and owning both, they are both fantastic models. If possible, would encourage you to look at buying both. As for weapons, VRS is soon to release their TacPack, which is weapons and enemy AI (Air and ground)is part of the package too. There is some speculation, that once VRS releases their SDK (Sim Developer Kit) for the TacPack, many others are going to utilize it for their aircraft. Milviz Mudhen does offer weapons and ability to destroy things in the air and on the ground, as does the current Superhornet. The difference in the Tacpack is there will be higher fidelity weapons, such as guided(maverick,JDAM,laser guided) and various other rocket and dumb bombs. In addition, there is the upcoming FSX@war package that will also work in conjunction with the TacPack. TacPack will also expand the avionics department with terrain following radar, FLIR, etc.

So, not really answered your question, but probably muddied your choices even more. If you're looking for carrier ops, the Superhornet definitely. If you're looking for supersonic ground hugging, then the Mudhen. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Matt

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3492865 - 01/12/12 01:25 AM Re: Advice for FSX sim (VRS or MilViz) [Re: strykerpsg]  
iam73 Offline
iam73  Offline

Just to clarify, TacPack will NOT bring AI aircraft to FSX. It will include basic sam site AI that will be spawned at will and the ability to shot at anything that os a simobject, but no Ai whatsoever...

They just found out how to implement ATFLIR by the way, which will be part of TP... that is awesome.

#3492868 - 01/12/12 01:33 AM Re: Advice for FSX sim (VRS or MilViz) [Re: Nano]  
Nano Offline
Nano  Offline

strykerpsg,

Thanks for all the input! You gave feedback that matched what I thought about the sims. It seems that I need to get both...just need to decide which one first. One other question I have is mission support. I don't have to have a dynamic campaign with a sim, but it is nice to have missions to fly. Do either of these sims have good (many) user created missions? It would be nice to have a mission pack in which you start with simple missions, like cold start and takeoff, and then advance to more complicated missions. This would give a person goals to strive for while flying. Does either sim have this?

Mark

#3492872 - 01/12/12 01:42 AM Re: Advice for FSX sim (VRS or MilViz) [Re: Nano]  
Nano Offline
Nano  Offline

iam73,

I am excited about TacPack. I have been watching and waiting for a while. I just hope the release will be soon.

#3492895 - 01/12/12 02:25 AM Re: Advice for FSX sim (VRS or MilViz) [Re: Nano]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Nano
strykerpsg,

Thanks for all the input! You gave feedback that matched what I thought about the sims. It seems that I need to get both...just need to decide which one first. One other question I have is mission support. I don't have to have a dynamic campaign with a sim, but it is nice to have missions to fly. Do either of these sims have good (many) user created missions? It would be nice to have a mission pack in which you start with simple missions, like cold start and takeoff, and then advance to more complicated missions. This would give a person goals to strive for while flying. Does either sim have this?

Mark

I haven't bought the Mudhen, because I'm holding short until they fix some pretty big issues. Going by the Milviz forum: The installation is FUBAR, the Afterburners don't have an effect, the weapons need serious tweaking to get to work, and the HUD needs to be brought up to spec graphically (it's still using solid, not transparent green).

See this thread for info on the Hud, note they are re-doing the guages as well to be more resource friendly:http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1440

On the other hand, the Superbug (of which I'm a proud owner :)) has had pretty much all it's kinks worked out, we're just waiting for tacpack. Also with the Bug you get carrier ops, which add's a flight dimension over the F-15E.

I'd agree that buying both is the way to go (I plan to get the 'hen myself once they get her up to snuff), but I'd get the Bug first.

As far as missions: I haven't seen many, but the stock FSX acceleration carrier missions work with the 'Bug. The Bugs manual also walks you through an orientation flight. There's also several Virtual airwings around the net who train/ops together.

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 01/12/12 02:29 AM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.