Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#348747 - 10/28/04 08:16 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
knot_dup1 Offline
knot_dup1  Offline

Oregon, USA
Nico,
Which version of Catalyst drivers are you using with Win98?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#348748 - 11/02/04 07:11 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Nicolaas Offline
Nicolaas  Offline

Netherlands
I'm using cat 4.9 for win 98 se. To be commplete:
wme-7-99-98-1-040712a-016504e.exe. 19.454kb. date 24-9-2004. They run wonderful good.
No crashes, no conflicts.
Nicolaas

Nicolaas
#348749 - 11/08/04 08:46 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
joeblow Offline
joeblow  Offline

Canada
As per discussion @ Frugals , and at the request of Doc (@TSH) who asked me to post this here (edited here for context):

If there is any kind of issue re: XP (which i do not believe is a problem), it would be the NTFS formated Hard Drives vrs FAT32 formatted. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most people simply aren't aware of the difference, or how to varify, and they just run the install over NTFS formatted HDs - some experience probs - depends on specific hard/software configs, especially video/sound cards and dll's.

It was pointed out to me a few years back, when XP first came out, that if i intend to play older games, that i should keep a hard drive formatted in FAT 32 so that these games can run properly. Jane's is one of them, and unless the actual game is supported by NTFS as indicated on the case, you should be looking at installing XP on a FAT 32 formatted HD, and all non NTFS suported games on same HD.

XP users have been using this standard Jane's F/A-18 install proceedure (which i developed on comms with more people than i can count, before writing it out) for two years with no complaints.

Slightly older ATI cards produced some probs, but work arounds are available in this thread - 'Sparling water etc....

nVidia was always awesome with no workarounds needed - just set to application controlled and away you go.

I would suggest you use nvidia's 56.72 dlls at the latest; or the current windows signed - but not the newest at nvidia.

Hope this helps.

Oh, you'll find a pretty good post on F/A-18 installs for XP users at Hardcoresims.com , Jane's F/A-18 Forum, Installing...

Hardcore� - Remember me?
#348750 - 12/01/04 05:23 AM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Top post updated with the fact that sparkling water can remain on without water grid. The FAQ now only states to uncheck "low level noise mapping". I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Here's a request - can someone with an X600/X700/X800 or 6600/6800 breifly confirm that these problems are still present on these cards?

#348751 - 12/06/04 02:50 AM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Ah, never mind. With sparkling water on the grid is there, just only in a few places. Doesnt really matter, anyway, as it has no visual effect without low level noise on as well.

#348752 - 12/10/04 07:51 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
'Doc' Offline
'Doc'  Offline

Is the following the solution to the Radeon-&-gridlines-on-water-A/A-slowdown problem:

From http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=80223 :

Quote:
Originally posted by esep: The reason that I am doing this is that in my opinion the information of this problem is scattered all over the Internet and I would like to help the community a bit by making this instruction thread. I had the same gridline problem and I think that there is need for this kind of helping post.

First you have to have a patched version of Jane's F/A-18 installed. It doesn't matter if you are using for example Team Super Hornet's high resolution addons or something like that. If you enable all the graphic options from the options of the game, you may see stupid gridlines and text on the water. That is a serious problem.

You have three options to get rid of the gridlines:

a)Turn on Full Screen Anti Aliasing (FSAA)
This removes the gridlines and everything seems to be fine, but when you change to Air-to-Air Master Mode, the game slows down and it's a pain in the a*s. So, this "solution" isn't good.

b)Turn off Sparkling Water and Low Level Noise Mapping from the game
After this you have no gridlines and the game doesn't bug. The problem is that the water looks flat and stupid. So this "solution" is also bad and we won't use it.

c)The perfect solution, Radlinker
If you want to enable all the graphical options in the game (of course you do) and you don't want your game to slow down, you have to download a small simple program called Radlinker. It has to be the right version, 0908, which I uploaded to my website. It something like 0.3 MB, very little. Everyone can download it. It's hard to find it anywhere else. Don't use the latest version, because that just doesn't fix the gridline problem. Here is the link:

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/esko.pohjoisaho/RadLinker0908.zip

When you have Radlinker 0908 installed, it may be good to reboot. After that, follow these instructions to make the game work properly:

1.) Locate F18.exe in your Jane's F18 installation directory
2.) Right click the exe and select "Create RadLink", you see that a shortcut to F18 is being made to the same directory.
3.) Right click the shortcut and select properties
4.) From the DirectX page, you have to change those options a bit. These options were originally posted by Griff from the frugalsworld, thanks to him. So be sure that you put these right:

Anisotropic Filtering - 8x Quality
Full Scene Anti-Aliasing - Application Preference
Texture Preferencce - High Quality
Mipmap Detail Level - High Quality
Z Buffer Depth - 16,24,32,8 bit stencil
Wait for Vertical Sync - Application Preference

Alpha Dither Method - Alpha Dither Method
Alternate Pixel Center - Disabled
TruForm - Enabled
W Buffer - Default

5.) Click OK
6.) Run the game from the shortcut you just created with those Radlinker options I listed.
7.) Rename the shortcut and put it into some more reasonable place if you want

So that should be all. Now you can run your Jane's F18 with full graphic options, without anti-aliasing and it should work 100%. At least it does with my Sapphire R9800 Pro 128MB with Catalyst 4.12 Beta and many other frugalsworld users too. I'm quite sure that Catalyst version does not affect to gridline problem (yet).

I use Team Super Hornet's high resolution addon and I use the game with 1280x1024 resolution. Everything works fine.

Keep in mind that everything I wrote now can already be found on the net, but I wanted to put everything to a one simple (?) thread.

Just wanted to help all the Radeon users out there.

If you find something stupid in this instruction pack, just make me aware of it and I'll fix it immediately. But I think this is all you need to know to get rid of that damn gridline problem. Unfortunately I haven't found an easier way yet \:\)

'Doc' (aka '195th_Doc')
TSH Administrator

Doc's hypocritic Oath: First do no HARM?
#348753 - 12/10/04 10:48 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by 'Doc':
Is the following the solution to the Radeon-&-gridlines-on-water-A/A-slowdown problem:

*LINK*
Probably so; I've been meaning to check out older versions of Radlinker and see what happened. The fact that I now know where to download an older version that is specifically waiting for me because it works with JF-18 gridlines is fantastic.

There is another problem, however. ATI has recently switched their video settings application over to something called the Catalyst Control Center (CCC). Right now it is possible to use the CCC or the old catalyst control panel to set graphics options, but eventually there will only be the CCC. Currently, the CCC is incomaptible with the latest version of Radlinker, and 3D apps will result in a BSOD if radlinker is installed.

This weekend I will install the older version of Radlinker posted at Frugal's and see if it works with the CCC. If not, I will uninstall the CCC, and then see what happens with the gridlines. If is turns out it is necessary to not use the CCC in this case, it will just add another line to the long list of things necessary to get JF-18 working with Radeon video cards.

#348754 - 12/21/04 05:33 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
'Doc' Offline
'Doc'  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 'Doc':

From http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=80223 :

Quote:
Originally posted by esep: The reason that I am doing this is that in my opinion the information of this problem is scattered all over the Internet and I would like to help the community a bit by making this instruction thread. I had the same gridline problem and I think that there is need for this kind of helping post.

First you have to have a patched version of Jane's F/A-18 installed. It doesn't matter if you are using for example Team Super Hornet's high resolution addons or something like that. If you enable all the graphic options from the options of the game, you may see stupid gridlines and text on the water. That is a serious problem.

This removes the gridlines and everything seems to be fine, but when you change to Air-to-Air Master Mode, the game slows down and it's a pain in the a*s. So, this "solution" isn't good.

After this you have no gridlines and the game doesn't bug. The problem is that the water looks flat and stupid. So this "solution" is also bad and we won't use it.

If you want to enable all the graphical options in the game (of course you do) and you don't want your game to slow down, you have to download a small simple program called Radlinker. It has to be the right version, 0908, which I uploaded to my website. It something like 0.3 MB, very little. Everyone can download it. It's hard to find it anywhere else. Don't use the latest version, because that just doesn't fix the gridline problem. Here is the link:

When you have Radlinker 0908 installed, it may be good to reboot. After that, follow these instructions to make the game work properly:

2.) Right click the exe and select "Create RadLink", you see that a shortcut to F18 is being made to the same directory.
4.) From the DirectX page, you have to change those options a bit. These options were originally posted by Griff from the frugalsworld, thanks to him. So be sure that you put these right:

TruForm - Enabled
W Buffer - Default

5.) Click OK
6.) Run the game from the shortcut you just created with those Radlinker options I listed.

So that should be all. Now you can run your Jane's F18 with full graphic options, without anti-aliasing and it should work 100%. At least it does with my Sapphire R9800 Pro 128MB with Catalyst 4.12 Beta and many other frugalsworld users too. I'm quite sure that Catalyst version does not affect to gridline problem (yet).

I use Team Super Hornet's high resolution addon and I use the game with 1280x1024 resolution. Everything works fine.

Keep in mind that everything I wrote now can already be found on the net, but I wanted to put everything to a one simple (?) thread.

If you find something stupid in this instruction pack, just make me aware of it and I'll fix it immediately. But I think this is all you need to know to get rid of that damn gridline problem. Unfortunately I haven't found an easier way yet \:\)
Joe, do you think think that the above solution should be added to your first post in this thread?

'Doc' (aka '195th_Doc')
TSH Administrator

#348755 - 12/21/04 07:16 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
As soon as I check it out myself I'll add it.

#348756 - 12/23/04 08:10 AM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
'Doc' Offline
'Doc'  Offline

Roger.

'Doc' (aka '195th_Doc')
TSH Administrator

#348757 - 12/23/04 04:18 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
oldpop Offline
Pop
oldpop  Offline
Pop

PENSACOLA Fl USA
Can someone explain #'s 3 and 4 above? What shortcut? Where is the "DX page"? I can't find either. I installed the prog and rebooted, but still don't understand.

Pop
#348758 - 12/23/04 08:39 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by STARRON1:
Can someone explain #'s 3 and 4 above? What shortcut? Where is the "DX page"? I can't find either. I installed the prog and rebooted, but still don't understand.
- If you don't have a JF-18 shortcut on your desktop, create one. Ensure that is starts JF-18 normally.
- Install Radlinker. Ensure that you can access it's options by opening your advanced display properties and making sure the Radlinker tab exists.
- Go back to your desktop and right click in the JF-18 shortcut. Select "create Radlink".
- There should now be a new shortcut on your desktop; this is the Radlink.
- Delete the original shortcut so you don't confuse yourself.
- Right click on the Radlink and select "Properties".
- Set graphics options as above (the "DirectX page" is one of the tab in the properties window).

#348759 - 01/19/05 06:02 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
'Doc' Offline
'Doc'  Offline

Joe, have you had a chance to check out the following from http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=80223 in order to determine whether or not it can be added to your first post in this thread?

Quote:

TruForm - Enabled
W Buffer - Default

5.) Click OK

'Doc' (aka '195th_Doc')
TSH Administrator

#348760 - 01/30/05 03:09 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Subguru Offline
Subguru  Offline

Alabama
Thanks to the above recipe, everything was working great for me with Radlinker 0908 and my ATI 9700 Pro. Then, I upgraded to SP2 and an ATI X800 card. Now Radlinker 0908 doesn't run and I'm back to flat, non-sparkling water. \:\(
(Newer versions of Radlinker will run, but they don't solve the gridline problem like 0908 did).

#348761 - 01/30/05 06:04 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Yeah, I tested Radlinker 0908 with ATI Catalyst 4.12, and it doen't work for me either.

Regardless, I have incorporated Radlinker information into the first post.

#348762 - 02/14/05 09:04 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
NC_Creeper Offline
NC_Creeper  Offline

Lincolnton, NC, USA
Joe,

This thread could always use a bump...

FYI I posted a question to one of the ATI Catalyst programmers on the hexus.net forums about addressing issues with Jane's F/A-18 (not that this hasn't probably been done before). Anyway, nothing shockingly new to report but I thought I'd share the response I received.

My Q is here .

Andrzej's response is here and here . He has good things to say about the F/A-18 community nonetheless.

AMD 2500, ABIT NF7 mobo, 1024MB PC3200 DDR RAM, 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro (Cat 5.13 w/radlinker) WinXP SP2, Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro joystick, Logitech MOMO FF wheel, Hauppauge PVR-150, TrackIR 3 Pro.
#348763 - 03/09/05 09:17 PM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
bump

#348764 - 03/17/05 01:05 AM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might of found a way around the problem with the FPS getting low when you slect wepons and they display on the HUD. I enabled 8xS Antialiasing and 16x Anisotropic filtering. That solved the problem for me. Game runs very smooth now. Its kind of funny I figured it wouldn't run very good with these settings but I was wrong.

#348765 - 03/17/05 01:41 AM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
8xS antialiasing tells me you have an nVidia card - which card, and which drivers? The slowdwon in much worse on ATI hardware.

Antialiasing usually causes the A-A slowdown. Are you saying that enabling antialiasing made your slowdown go away, or that specifically enabling 8xS antialising made your slowdown go away?

#348766 - 03/17/05 02:00 AM Re: FAQ for graphics issues - last update 1/30/05  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Nvidia 6800 GT with the 67.03 drivers. Im running the sim on windows XP. I started with 2x aa and that had problems. I then said what the heck, lets crank everything up. That seemed to solve my problems for now. So Im saying that enabling 8xS aa and 16x af made the slow down go away for me.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.