Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
#3484468 - 12/30/11 11:24 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: arthur666
Good point. I've been thinking about this as well. F/A-18A is not that much more advanced than the F-16A and F-15A. Here's a little article about the hornet's pit http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Fighter-Cockpits.html I think it's very doable at stock TW standards. We're not talking about the Superbug here. look at the pics Nothing in that pit hasn't been done before.

Also, Yay! New A-7 skins!

That's NOT correct! The F/A-18A was much more advanced in terms of cockpit avionics than the F-15A and F-16A since the later ones (F-15A and F-16A) didn't have any MFDs ("Glass cockpit") like the F/A-18A had. Besides the F-16A (inicial blocks, circa early 80's) didn't have advanced Air-to-Air modes such as the TWS and had no advanced air-to-ground radar modes like the F/A-18A did and the F-15A didn't have Air-to-Ground radar.
The F/A-18A was the world's first true modern multirole combat aircraft and the first one to be able to change from fighter to bomber roles with a simple "flip of a switch".

Finally, the capabilities from the F/A-18A are basically the same as the F/A-18C - the F/A-18C only have better radar/ECM/etc... but the basic capabilities of the F/A-18A and F/A-18C are the same while with the F-16 things were in fact diferent, the current F-16C and latter F-16A block such as MLU give capabilities that the inicial F-16A didn't have such as glass cockpit (MFDs), advanced radar modes such as TWS and advanced air-to-ground capabilities (which most were already present in the F/A-18A). Remember that the F-16A fighter aircraft (in it's inicial versions/blocks) was designed as a short-range dogfighter/interceptor.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3484470 - 12/30/11 11:24 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
MoonJumper Offline
MoonJumper  Offline

D-CHOC
Well probably its an RWR upgrade and/or the different "Beaver" tail shapes .. or something like that.

#3484483 - 12/30/11 11:40 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Hey All,

Like many of you, I'm a huge fan of TK's work. But remember, all of his product line are lite simulations, noting hard core. TK's makes it perfectly clear on his forums over at third wire, that these are games not sim's. I hope some of you understand this, and not get bent of shape when "everything is not click-able or guy's running around the flight deck" heck, if he could make it happen, I'd settle for air to air refueling and a solid immersion factor, more than anything else, closer to what Janes F-18 had back in the day.

Now, on the subject of the air wing and judging from the pictures, the composition of the air wing's, during the time period appears to be the late 80's, so are we looking at 2 F-14's, 2 A7's, or F18A's and support units. Any speculation on the air wing. The best part of all this is, I just finished reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, this a great book and SF2NA seem's to jump out of the battle in the North Atlantic from the book.

Heat2151
USN Retired, 08

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X 10c@4.0 Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
#3484547 - 12/31/11 01:15 AM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: ricnunes]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Good point. I've been thinking about this as well. F/A-18A is not that much more advanced than the F-16A and F-15A. Here's a little article about the hornet's pit http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Fighter-Cockpits.html I think it's very doable at stock TW standards. We're not talking about the Superbug here. look at the pics Nothing in that pit hasn't been done before.

Also, Yay! New A-7 skins!

That's NOT correct! The F/A-18A was much more advanced in terms of cockpit avionics than the F-15A and F-16A since the later ones (F-15A and F-16A) didn't have any MFDs ("Glass cockpit") like the F/A-18A had. Besides the F-16A (inicial blocks, circa early 80's) didn't have advanced Air-to-Air modes such as the TWS and had no advanced air-to-ground radar modes like the F/A-18A did and the F-15A didn't have Air-to-Ground radar.
The F/A-18A was the world's first true modern multirole combat aircraft and the first one to be able to change from fighter to bomber roles with a simple "flip of a switch".

Finally, the capabilities from the F/A-18A are basically the same as the F/A-18C - the F/A-18C only have better radar/ECM/etc... but the basic capabilities of the F/A-18A and F/A-18C are the same while with the F-16 things were in fact diferent, the current F-16C and latter F-16A block such as MLU give capabilities that the inicial F-16A didn't have such as glass cockpit (MFDs), advanced radar modes such as TWS and advanced air-to-ground capabilities (which most were already present in the F/A-18A). Remember that the F-16A fighter aircraft (in it's inicial versions/blocks) was designed as a short-range dogfighter/interceptor.

Point taken. Ok, so I'll take a Hornet with the MFDs set on one mode each, and the F-15A in the game has TWS already (not realistic, so I'm told), so that would be easy to implement. I want it!

Originally Posted By: heat2151
Hey All,

Like many of you, I'm a huge fan of TK's work. But remember, all of his product line are lite simulations, noting hard core. TK's makes it perfectly clear on his forums over at third wire, that these are games not sim's. I hope some of you understand this, and not get bent of shape when "everything is not click-able or guy's running around the flight deck" heck, if he could make it happen, I'd settle for air to air refueling and a solid immersion factor, more than anything else, closer to what Janes F-18 had back in the day.

Now, on the subject of the air wing and judging from the pictures, the composition of the air wing's, during the time period appears to be the late 80's, so are we looking at 2 F-14's, 2 A7's, or F18A's and support units. Any speculation on the air wing. The best part of all this is, I just finished reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, this a great book and SF2NA seem's to jump out of the battle in the North Atlantic from the book.

Heat2151
USN Retired, 08

Red Storm Rising was a really good read wasn't it? It's been a while. I remember both A-7 and F-18 had a role in the battle for Iceland in Clancy's novel.

Those pics of the Hornets on deck are from a user-made mod. Late '70s/early '80s is what we'll be looking at for the official release.

#3484586 - 12/31/11 03:34 AM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: heat2151]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

Hey All,

Amen, shipmate.

#3484711 - 12/31/11 11:41 AM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: ricnunes]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
Originally Posted By: ricnunes

You miss the point completely. Between the F-4, F-15 and F-16, all the necessary features for doing an F-18 are already in the game. SF games are intended as games and not slow, buggy, click-fest-for-fat-nerds type "sims".

#3484893 - 12/31/11 06:43 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
Fulcrum85 Offline
Fulcrum85  Offline

Poland
TK stated some time ago that there will be NO F/A-18 in North Atlantic, his next addon will be Mirage F1.

If you asking for Hornet in simple Strike fighters style just download great stuff from Combatace. EricJ did amazing SuperHornets, also there are some Hornets from Mirage Factory.

#3484967 - 12/31/11 08:58 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: Fulcrum85]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Fulcrum85
TK stated some time ago that there will be NO F/A-18 in North Atlantic, his next addon will be Mirage F1.

If you asking for Hornet in simple Strike fighters style just download great stuff from Combatace. EricJ did amazing SuperHornets, also there are some Hornets from Mirage Factory.

This.

I'd rather TK and team spend time developing the underlying game engine, weather, environment, damage modeling, etc. than on specific content like aircraft. The community can fill in the air-fleet gaps later.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3484974 - 12/31/11 09:14 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

This.

I'd rather TK and team spend time developing the underlying game engine, weather, environment, damage modeling, etc. than on specific content like aircraft. The community can fill in the air-fleet gaps later.

You know, until these recent screenshots, I would have disagreed. I thought the SF engine was set in stone. But with the new advancements we're seeing, I'll change my mind.

#3485000 - 12/31/11 10:28 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Point taken. Ok, so I'll take a Hornet with the MFDs set on one mode each, and the F-15A in the game has TWS already (not realistic, so I'm told), so that would be easy to implement. I want it!

Well, there's already a very good user made F/A-18 addon (don't remember who made it but as soon as I find I'll post) which models the F/A-18 this exact same way, with one "MFD" set as radar and the second "MFD" show a weapons page which shows the weapons that the player F/A-18 have (in a very convincing manner, BTW). There's also a third "MFD" (the lower center one) that show a "NAV page" with a digital "compass", waypoint heading and moving digital map.
This addon F/A-18 has also a great and very convincing (IMO) flight model as well - It's great to play with it wink

#3485039 - 12/31/11 11:56 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: arthur666]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY

This.

You know, until these recent screenshots, I would have disagreed. I thought the SF engine was set in stone. But with the new advancements we're seeing, I'll change my mind.

You Guy's, are dead on, regarding this point, the overall immersion factor is far more important than anything else. Well, at least it is for me. I would be nice to have everything but the kitchen sink, but then their's learning curve, which will take time away from the sim it self. One of the things I liked the most of old flight sim's like Janes F/A-18 was, basically getting right into it. Also, TK stated that the more they have to include in term of cockpit realism, the longer it will take third wire to release SF2NA. So since no hornet's are in the picture, that narrows down the air wing displacement of USN air-wings of the mid 80's; I did a little digging around and the following deployed with the Nimitz during the time period reflected in SF2NA;

CVW-8 (AJ)
CVN-68 NIMITZ
Aug.15, 1986 - Oct.16, 1986 (NorLant)
Modex Squadron Aircraft
100 VF-41 Black Aces F-14A
200 VF-84 Jolly Rogers F-14A
300 VA-82 Marauders A-7E
400 VA-86 Sidewinders A-7E
500 VA-35 Black Panthers A-6E/KA-6D
600-603 VAW-124 Bear Aces E-2C
604-607 VAQ-138 Yellow Jackets EA-6B
610 HS-9 Sea Griffins SH-3H
700 VS-24 Scouts S-3A

Heat2151
USN Retired,08

Last edited by heat2151; 01/01/12 01:15 AM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.

My Dark Blue Beast.
Windows 10 64 Bit
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
#3485196 - 01/01/12 03:57 AM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: heat2151]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA

This.

You Guy's, are dead on, regarding this point, the overall immersion factor is far more important than anything else. Well, at least it is for me. I would be nice to have everything but the kitchen sink, but then their's learning curve, which will take time away from the sim it self. One of the things I liked the most of old flight sim's like Janes F/A-18 was, basically getting right into it. Also, TK stated that the more they have to include in term of cockpit realism, the longer it will take third wire to release SF2NA. So since no hornet's are in the picture, that narrows down the air wing displacement of USN air-wings of the mid 80's; I did a little digging around and the following deployed with the Nimitz during the time period reflected in SF2NA;

CVW-8 (AJ)
CVN-68 NIMITZ
Modex Squadron Aircraft
300 VA-82 Marauders A-7E
700 VS-24 Scouts S-3A

Heat2151
USN Retired,08

All of those AC have been confirmed.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3485561 - 01/01/12 09:04 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: SkateZilla]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

This.

CVW-8 (AJ)
CVN-68 NIMITZ
Modex Squadron Aircraft
300 VA-82 Marauders A-7E
700 VS-24 Scouts S-3A

Heat2151
USN Retired,08

All of those AC have been confirmed.

Now, on the subject of deployed NATO & Warsaw Aircraft, dose anyone have word on the NATO and Red air composite both flyable and non flyable. ? SkateZilla put a list together on the objects list, any updates and further feedback on clear landmass, ships, weapons employment ect...

Happy New Year Everyone wink santa loaded-santa

Last edited by heat2151; 01/01/12 09:19 PM.

My Dark Blue Beast.
Windows 10 64 Bit
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
#3487000 - 01/04/12 12:20 AM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
coreyhkh Offline
coreyhkh  Offline

Any word on when this is coming out?

#3487206 - 01/04/12 01:54 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
Fenix Offline
Fenix  Offline

Linköping Sweden
When it is ready probably WinkNGrin

I rather have a ready game then an unfinished game that need patches before it is even playable.

Tomcats Forever
#3487418 - 01/04/12 07:50 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
Buren Offline
Buren  Offline

Ungarn
While reading Fleet Defender's manual this caught my eye;

"Keep in mind, even when playing those pre-1988 Mediterranean campaign games, you are given a more powerful version of the F-14 that did not historically exist at the time. All F-14s flown in FLEET DEFENDER are assumed to be F-14B model aircraft regardless of the scenario being played. It should be noted that the MicroProse design team tested a flight model using the original TF-30-P-412A engines installed in F-14As. The result was a particularly narrow flight envelope. The aircraft was very unforgiving if one failed to stay within these parameters. More often than not, inattentive pilots found themselves spinning in before ever engaging the enemy. In short, it wasn’t much fun. For purposes of a commercial flight simulator, the F-14B with its improved turbofan engines, was a much better choice."

No wonder it was called the Turkey, I wonder how will TK's FM reflect this.

#3487469 - 01/04/12 08:40 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
Fulcrum85 Offline
Fulcrum85  Offline

Poland
Actually we have plenty underpowered aircrafts in SF so nothing really new LOL

#3487477 - 01/04/12 09:01 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: Fulcrum85]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: Fulcrum85
Actually we have plenty underpowered aircrafts in SF so nothing really new LOL

Yeah, we are already used to the under powered restrictive Envelopes.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3487537 - 01/04/12 10:34 PM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: MoonJumper]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
It wouldn't surprise me if the Microprose version actually simulated compressor stalls and resultant loss of engine thrust. TK likely won't since that kind of feature isn't any fun.

#3487594 - 01/05/12 12:07 AM Re: Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic - Preview WIP screenshots [Re: Fenix]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Fenix
When it is ready probably WinkNGrin

I rather have a ready game then an unfinished game that need patches before it is even playable.

Last I heard it was two weeks.

duck

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.