Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3483096 - 12/29/11 12:36 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
Originally Posted By: cheesehawk
So out of roughly 50 people, 10 cannot or can barely run it. Now I wonder out of those 10, and you know who you are, how many have a PC that should run it just fine that we can help get it up and running and how many just need a better rig?

If you have anything that can help my rig run it without crashing, I'm all ears! smile

Well how about your System Specs for starters... and have you tried just setting everything to low and running the Black Death track and gradually increasing your settings till you get something that works smoothly and still looks good?
The same command that IL-2 1946 uses will show your framerate [Shift+Tab] fps START SHOW

It was posted already. As well as my issues still in-game.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3483101 - 12/29/11 12:41 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Logan Offline
Head Tater peeler
Logan  Offline
Head Tater peeler

Wow, I am surprised that this many people with good rigs are having problems running this game. I built my own,started with a duo core AMD 2.5 ghz and 2 gig of ram with a 1 gig nvidia 520 for a card and XP 32 bit sp3. oh and a 500 ghz HD. I could only manage low to somewhat medium settings with it. Then..same MOBO but AMD X4 black ed..970(I think) 4 core,8 ghz ram,2 ghz gt520 DDR3 card with the same 500 HD, win 7, 64 bit. I can run every thing on high no problems..sure FPS range anywhere from 15 to 40 to 60 depending on the action but always playable with little to no shudders. Since I upgraded I never have had to shut it down stating "It was a slide show down low." Even over London! I'll get BoM even though I think it should go to the Med first before Russia. I hope BoM fixes Bob so we can all play it.

Last edited by Logan; 12/29/11 12:47 AM. Reason: typos

Logan,
Head Tater peeler,OIC of nothing
#3483114 - 12/29/11 01:14 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Interesting, all the reviews on that Vidcard say it's not good for gaming and at less than $100 I would be skeptical as well, but hey if it's working for you that's great.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3483128 - 12/29/11 01:49 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Logan Offline
Head Tater peeler
Logan  Offline
Head Tater peeler

Huh, I never read the reviews.. The 2 gig Geforce GT520 has been working great for me on all my games. Its what I could afford at the time. Its made ROF look better, CLOD run better, and/or look better and A10, LOMAC/FC2, Yankee Air pirate just scream.I know a DDR5 580 or such would do better with a heavy graphic game like Clod but I cant justify it with the wife. Yes I can spend the money but I'd be single if I did! And then I'd lose half..so the 520 work just fine for me smile Its about 85.95 where I live, not bad for a good card.

Logan,
#3483165 - 12/29/11 03:10 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: bisher]  
Crockett Offline
Crockett  Offline

Oregon
I bought it and it runs on lowered settings -- but barely.

Crockett

Intel Core i5-750 overclocked to 3.5Ghz
MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard
8GB Corsair RAM
PowerColor HD 5770 video card
Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
850 Watt power supply
24" Samsung Monitor
CH Combat Stick 586 USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Logitech G110 keyboard
Logitech G500 mouse
Windows 7 x64 edition

Intel Core i5-750 overclocked to 3.4 Ghz
MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard
8GB Corsair RAM
AMD 480X
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
850 Watt power supply
24" Samsung Monitor
CH Combat Stick 586 USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Track IR 5
Logitech G110 keyboard
Logitech G500 mouse
Windows 10x64 Homw

#3483175 - 12/29/11 03:28 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: cheesehawk]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Curious, I look at some of the specs here and I don't know why you wouldn't be able to scream with that rig I made a couple of tweaks in the Catalyst control settings and I was just getting solid 60's to 80's on ATAG, of course there are hardly any planes but still.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3483186 - 12/29/11 03:53 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
You need a "purchased, but not even installing (or bothering to fly) until it's fixed.
That's me. The DVD is here in my drawer, but I'm not even going to take the time to install it until there are some
major improvements. I want my first impression to be "WOW!!!" Not "Frack!!!"

Good thing there's Rise of Flight! I find myself not caring how long CloD stays a mess. At this point RoF will remain
my primary sim, even when CloD finally makes it onto my hard drive.

#3483241 - 12/29/11 05:12 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Logan Offline
Head Tater peeler
Logan  Offline
Head Tater peeler

ROF is my squads primary flight sim with CLOD second and IL2 third. Just because we came from IL2.. But between ROF and Clod that's what we fly the most anymore. IL2 is slowly fading away, with the RC-4 Ultrapack mod or the really hard to install dark blue world for off line people we just cant keep up.
If I have the RC-4 I cant log into some servers? Why? Because they are not up to speed with UP.RC-4 or wont update, So we have to abandon it for the better ROF game and CLOD. We still will use Il2 1946 with all the mods but not as much as we did before. My point about all this? Clod works...yes It does( don't let them tell you different)! and Rise of flight works better!

Logan,
#3483272 - 12/29/11 06:10 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Subedai Offline
Subedai  Offline

Canada
I picked it up on a whim during the the Steam sale, and was surprised at how well it ran on my minimum spec machine. Other then models, nothing is set to high, but it still looks OK, all things considered. Messed around with it for several hours and tried to practice some bombing but it was pretty much too broken to be any fun. It is going back on the shelf until it gets fixed up into better shape. At the moment it comes across as more of a tech demo then a finished product. There is potential there, but i wonder if it will ever be realized.

#3483307 - 12/29/11 09:42 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
CardboardSword Offline
CardboardSword  Offline

Newfoundland, Canada
I picked it up basically as soon as I could. Got a EU version before I should have been able to access it in NA. It's always run not abysmally on my machine, but then mine is probably better than most. My biggest complaint right now is that I get the CTD after my paltry 4GB of ram runs out wink. There are a whole host of issues that need to be sorted out with this sim, but I have yet to regret it. Despite the number of problems I've run into (I'm really annoyed with SP loadouts refusing to do anything), I have still sunk well over 80 hours into it. Granted some of these were spent screwing around with things I really shouldn't have, but the level of detail and more importantly the FEEL of the sim makes it incredibly difficult for me to play 1946 for any longer than a few sorties. Is the software crippled in innumerable ways? Yeah, most likely. Will that make me even hesitate to pick up BoM for the sheer joy of taking up an IL-2 for a joy-ride? Certainly not. I know many will disagree with me based on sheer principle if nothing else, but that's fine with me. I'll enjoy the relatively visceral feel of a legendary Russian ground attack plane or MiG beneath my joystick for a pittance (even for a debt-ridden student!) and love more or less every moment of it despite the flaws.

I realize that many of the practices demonstrated thus far by 1C and co. have been abysmal in many regards, but I can't help but support the only company who seems to be willing to support our passion. I do not expect any one else to follow my footsteps, but only to respect the choice made by myself and others. If you, like so many others, are horribly upset by the wrongs this company has set upon you by selling an admittedly unpolished (at the very best, completely broken at the worst) piece of software then you have every right to be so. I do ask of you though, as so many people on this forum and the banana forum seem to disregard, that you try and respect the developers for not just dropping the sim and running. There has been large improvements in the sim since launch. It is by no means fixed, but just look at launch footage compared to what we have now. Hell I have my own YouTube videos of launch footage and I admit it's crap compared to what we have now (although I managed to impress a few with it!). I don't know. At this point I'll gladly admit I'm rambling. I'm sure some will call me a fan boy and others a hater or what have you, but I've honestly tried to present my points as fairly as possible. I hope that both sides can take at least some sense away from what I've said and I'm sure we can all agree that the hope for the sequel/add-on/whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it will be brilliant is universal.

If I come up with anything more intelligent to add in the morning I'm sure I'll do so. In the meantime, feel free to pick me apart limb from limb wink

#3483330 - 12/29/11 11:17 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Lurker_71 Offline
Lurker_71  Offline

Besides the idiotic GUI design and lack of antialiasing and merely cosmetic but dysfunctional damage modeling (I'll cut it short here), my main gripe with CloD is that it completely lacks any offline value. I understand some folks enjoy multiplay and according to their reports CloD is fun if you're into that kind of thing, but for folks like myself who have time only for brief offline sessions CloD is not worth the trouble, to put it mildly. 2c

#3483335 - 12/29/11 11:37 AM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Agreed, about my biggest gripe also. A game where there is no game.

Ben

#3483341 - 12/29/11 12:09 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: Lurker_71]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: Lurker_71
Besides the idiotic GUI design and lack of antialiasing and merely cosmetic but dysfunctional damage modeling (I'll cut it short here), my main gripe with CloD is that it completely lacks any offline value. I understand some folks enjoy multiplay and according to their reports CloD is fun if you're into that kind of thing, but for folks like myself who have time only for brief offline sessions CloD is not worth the trouble, to put it mildly. 2c

9 out of 10 cats disagree:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3438876/CoD_Offline_Tournament_The_RAF.html#Post3438876

Yes the already installed campaigns were lame, but the community has already created a wealth of offline content, and you could too.
reading

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3483373 - 12/29/11 01:33 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: Bokononist]  
Lurker_71 Offline
Lurker_71  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bokononist

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3438876/CoD_Offline_Tournament_The_RAF.html#Post3438876

Yes the already installed campaigns were lame, but the community has already created a wealth of offline content, and you could too.
reading

I don't see from where in the linked thread you derived the 90% figure and how it represents an endorsement of the game's offline value, but anyhow, to me the lack of offline value is not a result only of the pathetic campaigns or awkward quick missions that shipped with the original game. And I am absolutely aware of the work of two particularly talented community members who have been working on a dynamic campaign generator for CloD. But without a functional AI it is very difficult to enjoy their work, which is the main reason why CloD, to me, unplayable offline (maybe I should have pointed this out in my above post).

But if to you offline CloD is a bliss, knock yourself out wave

#3483409 - 12/29/11 02:38 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: CardboardSword]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Wishing I was in the La Cloche
Originally Posted By: CardboardSword
...My biggest complaint right now is that I get the CTD after my paltry 4GB of ram runs out...

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but no insight to be had so far:
The CoD.exe (where ever it resides or is called...) must be a 32 bit program. If you have 64 bit OS with a butt load of RAM you can patch the 32-bit game exe with NTCore 4GB Patch so that CoD can max out and use up to 4 GB of RAM. Your system will take up the remainder of your RAM. This patch works very well.

HOWEVER, where is the CoD exe ? On Steam's 'cloud'? Or is it already patched for x64, like RoF is? I have posted to 1C forum, no answer...

4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
26" VIZIO 1920x1200, Logitech FF 3D Pro, CH pedals, Track IR4
#3483429 - 12/29/11 03:11 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
@Gambit sorry but adding a "I bought it but I refuse to install it because other people can't run it" is kinda silly don't you think?
I mean if you installed it and it didn't work at all so you uninstalled it I would understand and then you could put your vote in as CTD'd and it would count for something. Yes, we agree it's flawed the RAF Campaign is really short and my biggest WTF moment there was the Girl in the Cockpit mission where you can't see out of the bloody canopy. The Spitfire has a side door so you can get in and out and it's quite tight but I would love to see someone recreate that in a real aircraft for comparison, probably not possible anyway, unless she's one of those wee little people, but I digress. This poll while not really Scientific shows that Most people who have it can run it, while there are some who have more than enough PC to run it have issues which admittedly is a mystery. Consumer made campaigns and missions will come it will just take some time this is while on the surface very similar to the old IL-2 in the FMB it's also got a lot more complicated things that as it matures will give forth new fruit. I may be 60 years old before it does but...we shall see.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 12/29/11 03:12 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3483433 - 12/29/11 03:14 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: Lurker_71]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida

I too hate the GUI, Brown letters on a Black background, really?

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3483446 - 12/29/11 03:40 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: Lurker_71]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bokononist

reading

I don't see from where in the linked thread you derived the 90% figure and how it represents an endorsement of the game's offline value, but anyhow, to me the lack of offline value is not a result only of the pathetic campaigns or awkward quick missions that shipped with the original game. And I am absolutely aware of the work of two particularly talented community members who have been working on a dynamic campaign generator for CloD. But without a functional AI it is very difficult to enjoy their work, which is the main reason why CloD, to me, unplayable offline (maybe I should have pointed this out in my above post).

But if to you offline CloD is a bliss, knock yourself out wave

No need to be pedantic about a figure of speech, the link quite simply shows a great example of people enjoying themselves offline, which is in itself is an endorsement of the games offline value.
I agree with you about the A.I. though, I don't know of anyone who doesn't. Aside from the crashes( for some, thankfully not me ) and the dissapearing dots I think its the single biggest issue that needs dealing with. I'm looking forward to see what the next patch brings in the way of A.I. amongst other things.
Offline bliss? I mainly play online( when I get the chance) but the A.I. affects that too, to a lesser extent though, and for me the camaraderie and teamwork that goes on online far outweighs the negatives. right

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3483449 - 12/29/11 03:47 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: Bandy]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bandy
Originally Posted By: CardboardSword
...My biggest complaint right now is that I get the CTD after my paltry 4GB of ram runs out...

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but no insight to be had so far:
The CoD.exe (where ever it resides or is called...) must be a 32 bit program. If you have 64 bit OS with a butt load of RAM you can patch the 32-bit game exe with NTCore 4GB Patch so that CoD can max out and use up to 4 GB of RAM. Your system will take up the remainder of your RAM. This patch works very well.

HOWEVER, where is the CoD exe ? On Steam's 'cloud'? Or is it already patched for x64, like RoF is? I have posted to 1C forum, no answer...

CoD's executable is called Lancher.exe, find it in programsx86/Steam/Steamapps/Common/IlSturmovicCliffsofDover...
It's the one with the RAF roundel next to it, let us know if it the NTCore thing helps.

Edit: the last time I checked my when running CloD I was using a shade over 4gigs of RAM with all of the associated programs TS3, Freetrack etc, can't recall the exact amount for CloD itself though.

Last edited by Bokononist; 12/29/11 03:51 PM.

#3483497 - 12/29/11 05:09 PM Re: Does it Work for You? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
ZG26_Emil Offline
ZG26_Emil  Offline

Cheshire....Ok stockport
Curious, I look at some of the specs here and I don't know why you wouldn't be able to scream with that rig I made a couple of tweaks in the Catalyst control settings and I was just getting solid 60's to 80's on ATAG, of course there are hardly any planes but still.

The problem is no matter how amazing my computer is it doesn't prevent the memory leak from crashing the game after 40-50 minutes making coop play impossible. It also wont fix the terrible AI, or make COOP more attractive (no one even flies them), or even address some strange 'features in the FM.

I wanted to love it and sometimes it can be ok but gameplay is too limited and no one flies COOPs still because of various reasons. I was never a big fan of dogfight servers but loved well made COOPs which provided hundreds of hours of fun all the years I played IL2.

Now it appears that after literally dipping their toe in to an entire theatre they are to move on to the eastern front AGAIN! I was really hoping to see a realistic representation of the BOB in CLOD but it is lacking in many departments and that is sad. I do really hope that third party work goes in to the missing ships etc and that we get the dynamic weather and AI/FM fixes that are badly needed etc etc.

I shall return after 'the next patch' to see what they've done.

p.s. are we going to have to wait for BOM for the re-written Graphics engine? If so that would really suck.

Cheers

Emil

Formerly JG5_Emil
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.