Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#34788 - 01/12/03 02:37 PM gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

Well, I got it in a 4 in 1 group of games. It looks pretty good. But after I have assigned keys to my stick buttons, it seems to overwrite them, so that the assignments are not there the next time I light the mother up.

Anybody else had this, and a solution for it? Jesus, I really hate stuff like that.

thanks if you can help. [Linked Image]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#34789 - 01/12/03 04:01 PM Re: gunship woes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just recently got Gunship as well, but have not experienced that problem. Aside from the keys issue, what is your initial impression? Mine is...frustrating...so far.

#34790 - 01/12/03 04:18 PM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

Hmmm, I like the way it looks. The scenery is done quite nicely, and having to ferret armor out of wooded positions smacks of reality.

But other than that, yes, frustration would be a good choice of words. Most of that, since it is only my second day, has to do with not knowing where the H anything is, including the enemy [Linked Image]

I have to try a bit more to see how much is IT and how much is ME. Also, I get odd hangs at times, like when hitting the escape key to exit.... those things always bug me, especially when something has been out for this long.

But I ain't giving up yet. What have you found frustrating, and why?

#34791 - 01/12/03 04:47 PM Re: gunship woes  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
unforgiven,
Haven't seen that problem so can't help unfortunately - maybe fng2k might have an answer when he surfaces from the depths of the .exe.

Kammak, what do you find frustrating (other than the fact that you have to be very sneaky as the enemy AA/SAMs are lethal)?

Btw, both of you are using the patch aren't you?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#34792 - 01/12/03 08:38 PM Re: gunship woes  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
AARGH!

Long, brilliantly composed post, blown away by my own stupidity...

And now I have to go. dang.

in brief:
What kind of controller, UFG? Did you cahange path to or rename gunship.exe? That really screwed me up, but then I have 14 GS installs... Not sure if GS "knows" how to overwrite controller settings. Tell me more.

Frustrating:
Yeah, it can be. GS models a VERY dangerous battlefield. I usually fly with my damage resistance cranked because I basically suck as a combat pilot. [Linked Image] And it's different from EECH in that it is tactical, with almost no significant strategic elements beyond the current mission. That and the fact that what you see below you is actually M1 Tank Platoon 2 happening. Everything is active and anything with a gun will shoot at you from anywhere.

Buff, good call about the patch. (There were controller tweaks in there, too, IIRK.) the 4 in 1 I saw (Battle Blitz) was NOT patched. Kammak, I'm not sure if yours is or not, but worth checking.

Gotta go do husband things.

cheers
fng

don't forget the FAQ:
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/gunshipFAQ.html

------------------
The GUNSHIP! Helipad

#34793 - 01/12/03 11:18 PM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

yeah, battle blitz was not patched, so I downloaded the new exe, which is what I got at the gunship helipad. It did not self install, but rather unzipped to temp four files, which I put into the gunship directory. Ah, but now that I think of it, I did not change my shortcut, which I thought would just go to the new 'gunship.exe'. But maybe it kept it's link to 'gunshipold.exe'. Doh.

I am just getting used to things now. It takes me a long time to get SA in a new vehicle. My brain cramps up trying to remember all the new keys for old stuff.

But it is a good looking game. By the way, I can't seem to hit #%&*$# with the cannon. What am I doing wrong? I thought that sucker locked on and tracked stuff. Heheh, does in 'the other' sim. [Linked Image]

#34794 - 01/12/03 11:21 PM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

oh, and I am using the Logitech wingman profiler. I just checked the shortcut link, and it IS referencing the newer exe... so I don't know why using it is bad, except that the game seems to generate it's own ini file that over writes my profile... weird.

#34795 - 01/12/03 11:50 PM Re: gunship woes  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
howdy-
You probably figured this out, but the two INI files must go into the Gunship!\data\ folder, and the exe and readme go into the Gunship!\ folder.

Weird about the controller settings. Just so I'm clear on this: are you tweaking the FM using the (edit: shift+v) on-screen menu? That way is great for fine tuning, but the settings aren't saved. You need to edit the FM INI's for it to be in effect when the game launches. But it sounds like it's your controller mapping that's acting odd. I have my profile up on my mods/add-ons page if you want to try it:
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/modsadds.html

Roger the SA issue. Especially when you've spent alot of time in a similar cockpit (EECH) with very diiferent key commands. Massage your brain with pepermint oli if it keeps cramping. If that doesn't work, try booze. [Linked Image]

The cannon is really interesting, because it's ballistics are accurately modelled. It ain't no laser beam. [Linked Image] If you are heading straight at a target, the lock and rounds line up, but if shooting while moving at an angle, you hold lock, but the rounds react accurately. Very tricky. Unlock (L), and try to lead the target.

------------------
The GUNSHIP! Helipad

[This message has been edited by fng2k (edited 01-12-2003).]

#34796 - 01/13/03 01:05 AM Re: gunship woes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

AFAIK I'm using the last patch which allows you customize the FM and other stuff.

I've only played as the CP/G, and not the pilot so far...so it reminds me more of Steel Beasts than EECH/LB2. I guess what annoys me the most is the loss of control of the a/c, or lack of total control. In Steel Beasts, I can order the tank to hunker down, and it will stay hunkered down unless I yield control or give another order...whereas here the pilot seems *too* eager to regain control and go about his merry way.

That and the inpenetrable trees - I got used to firing into forests in SB using thermal, I keep wasting hellfires in Gunship trying to do the same!

The graphics are very nice though, and I do like the armor moving across the fields - much better than EECH's roadbound "battalions" of 8 vehicles sitting at an intersection. I also like having the ability to create my own missions - very rich capability in Gunship (like SB) which I miss in EECH.

Its definitely staying on my hard drive, but right now I have to "make" myself play it, as I'm still not 100% comfortable with it.

#34797 - 01/13/03 02:58 AM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

I am not tweaking anything in game yet. The only thing I am doing is mapping some basic commands to my joystick buttons. Oddly, whenever I start the game using the shortcut, instead of the game controller software, the profile gets blown out. This has never happened with anything else. Oh well, I just got rid of the shortcut so I can't keep whacking the profile accidentally.

Whenever I try to lock I get an 'unable' from the cpg. I just gotta dork with it some more. I learn best after beating my brains in on it for a while. Then come and ask a couple of stupid questions and all is clear.

Thanks for the help

UFG, out

#34798 - 01/13/03 03:26 AM Re: gunship woes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Hmmm, I like the way it looks. The scenery is done quite nicely, and having to ferret armor out of wooded positions smacks of reality."

Realism? Ah. You mean the part where the Sams are at full speed and shooting missles at you along the way.....

#34799 - 01/13/03 04:02 AM Re: gunship woes  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
Kammak, check your Gunship!\data\custom.ini file, and make sure that this line is there:

HoldOnMap= TRUE

This prevents the autopilot from taking off toward the next waypoint whenever you leave the command chair. This was a major problem in the original release, now adjustable in the patch version. Sounds like what you're seeing.

There are a few other easy tricks to flying as CP/G:

- point your reticule where you want to go and press the "G" key.
- "o" means take evasive action,
- "p" means popup,
- "w" means resume flight to current waypoint
- shift+"w" change course and head for the next waypoint.

More in the patch readme.

And you know, Kammak, you just made a light bulb go of with your comment about the concrete trees. While it's probably true that ATGM's probably couldn't reliably kill a target through tree limbs, (due to deflection, laser scatter, premature detonation etc), it could do it sometimes. And certainly cannon fire should get pretty good penetration.

Well a long time ago I found that all the trees actually use 2 or 3 separate graphic files: a pcx (which is what we see) plus a matching .pca and a maybe a .pcb . I've never really understood why, and I kinda forgot about it, but now I wonder if they control "solidity" somehow. If so, I should be able to "checkerboard" them to give them some penetrability. Very interesting...I'll have to run some tests, but I'll let you know what I find.

And the mission building is great fun. Grab the guide from my site if you really want to get into it. Ther are an amazing variety of parameters available. I'm happy to host high-quality custom missions from anyone, too.

ufg, if you haven't already, right-click on your Wingman icon in the tray, and select the "Apply profile on game launch" option. I don't recall what the default is or if this is a global setting, but it should be set to "On".

And it sounds like you and I attended the same Percussive Learning Center... [Linked Image]

Stay in touch-
fng

------------------
The GUNSHIP! Helipad

[This message has been edited by fng2k (edited 01-12-2003).]

#34800 - 01/13/03 04:10 AM Re: gunship woes  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
drew, I don't think I've ever seen a ADV fire missiles at me while on they were on the move. Do you recall what was coming at you? (missiles? cannon? rocks? [Linked Image] The mobile SAMs usually seem to be relaxing hull down behind the ridge I just flew over...

The tanks do sometimes try to take shots at me while rolling, though. And the infantry with MANPADS are a cast iron B****...

------------------
The GUNSHIP! Helipad

#34801 - 01/13/03 01:59 PM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

heheh, one thing I won't do is get into realism discussions. There is no such thing in gaming. At least not in any helo sim I have flown. They all have a few places where the whole thing falls apart.

That being said, I would not be surprised to find that the ability to fire while moving is one that is being worked on, if not already in existence prototypically. Because it makes sense, particulary if you were part of a convoy. Aircraft can do it, so there has to be a way.

Personally, I suspect that war isn't any fun, and that the closer one gets to reality, the less fun it is. I don't want to go there. But, with regards to my remark, when you have been raised by Razorworks or Janes, armor has not trees to hide behind. I like this Gunship presentation. The armor is set up to hurt you, not for target practice. That seems at least quasi realistic. Not that it matters [Linked Image]

#34802 - 01/13/03 10:18 PM Re: gunship woes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're right. It doesn't matter if you're having fun. They did dub it funship for a reason.

#34803 - 01/13/03 10:32 PM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

Heheh, well Drew, it LOOKS so much better than either of the other two that this alone makes it easier to immerse myself in, at least initially. I have coming up on 600 hours in ApHavoc/EECH, maybe even more, so I am aware of what it takes to get something to grab you for the long haul. I don't know if this has it or not. Just trying to give it a chance.

And if getting fired at by a moving vehicle is the only problem I have, then that ain't a problem. I would love to be able to get EECH to do that. EECH's big failing for me was the static nature of the ground war. The campaign engine for them was more like a bowling alley. Set 'em up. Kock 'em down. [Linked Image]

And then you have LB2s flight model, and it's radar through mountains, and it's missions up and down the same dirt road over and over, and, oh, crap, it all gets old after a while. I'm sure this will as well.

#34804 - 01/13/03 11:32 PM Re: gunship woes  
Tristan Offline
Tristan  Offline

Chelsea, Michigan, USA
I was attracted to Gunship because of the mission-critical aspect of the game. I also liked the fact that there seemed to be very little room for error.

T.

Anything can happen on the way to Leidsdorp.
#34805 - 01/14/03 04:15 AM Re: gunship woes  
unforgiven Offline
Hotshot
unforgiven  Offline
Hotshot

I haven't tried any missions yet. I am using fly now as a training ground, trying to get used to the thing. This is not my normal modus operandi, but I am trying to be sensible instead of jumping into a bunch of frustrating missions. It takes a long time for me to get comfortable in a new ride [Linked Image]

#34806 - 01/14/03 04:26 AM Re: gunship woes  
Tristan Offline
Tristan  Offline

Chelsea, Michigan, USA
I'll be happy when I learn to call in artillery strikes.

Anything can happen on the way to Leidsdorp.
#34807 - 01/14/03 04:27 AM Re: gunship woes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do you like that waypoint system? heh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.