Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3476913 - 12/19/11 11:31 AM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Aramsham]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

Originally Posted By: Gargantou
In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone has a complete list of all the vehicles featured in the game?

Tanks:
T-55, T-62, TO-55
M60A1, Chiftain Mk5, Olifant Mk1

APCs:
Ratel 20, Ratel Cmd, BTR-60PB, M113A1

IFVs:
BMP-1, Ratel 90, BRDM-2

FSV and artillery:
ZU-23-2 on GAZ-66
ZU-23-2
BO-11
BO-10
SPG-9
M40
82 mm Mortar 2B14
81 mm Mortar Vector M3
DShK on tripod
82 mm Mortar mod 38
76 mm ZIS-3 gun

ATGMs:
Milan
9K14M

Trucks:
GAZ-66

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3476926 - 12/19/11 12:05 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
bekro Offline
bekro  Offline

The game is good. Although there are some bugs it is well playable. I have been playing with M60-1 since weekend I can say I have lots of fun. I can easily suggest if you are a sim fun.

#3476931 - 12/19/11 12:17 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
Spearfish Offline
Spearfish  Offline

Can Milan and Malyutka ATGMs fire at player and AI tanks (any triggers in mission editor)? AFAIK both tanks don't have smoke grenades as countermeasure against ATGM. Both tanks are pretty much defenceless against ATGMs so it would be easily a tank massacre like during Yom Kippur war trough massive ATGM fire!

#3476937 - 12/19/11 12:42 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: bekro]  
ramas Offline
ramas  Offline

Originally Posted By: bekro
The game is good. Although there are some bugs it is well playable. I have been playing with M60-1 since weekend I can say I have lots of fun. I can easily suggest if you are a sim fun.

I concur, it´s good fun! Battles are very satisfying, and I have no doubt that the bugs will be squashed.

#3476951 - 12/19/11 01:09 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
lavish Offline
lavish  Offline

After playing few battles I can say that this title is promising, but not at the level of Achtung Panzer Operation Star (just a feeling). However, that may change after the patch and I won't judge anything too hard until then. First I was a bit lost (even I have played APOS). The manual doesn't not explain very well how the tanks operate. After learning a bit and reading some informative comments and tips here (thanks Spearfish) many things are clearer. The game is getting better and better.

I'd also like to leave some feedback here about things that could use some improvements. First, I noticed some pathfinding issues with tanks, especially with ditches - they try to drive over them and get stuck in there. I suggest that these ditches are marked for AI as "do not drive through these" - they are tank traps. This might "get fixed" in the patch though (as said, the current version may not be what it should have been).

Secondly, I would like to see some changes to the visibility / unit icon system for this sim. Currently the player can see all the friendly unit icons and all enemy contacts in realtime on 2D and 3D map - like in the APOS. It's a bit weird when you can see the exact location of an enemy tank because some of your friendlies do and you don't. I suggest that the player can only see unit icons of those enemies that his crew can see like in the Steel Fury, if I remember correctly. For friendly forces I suggest that unit icons should only be shown as squad markers - even though this is also a bit unrealistic.

The previous changes to visibility / unit icon system may affect the tactical gameplay on the 2D map. In reality there were radios, phones and visual signs (flares, flags, hands) that could be used to share information about enemy positions with a certain delay and inaccuracy. Something like this would be needed in the game. Maybe just present a delay and inaccuracy for enemy contacts / unit icons? Or just mark a small area on the tactical map where the enemy was last seen? Or maybe just show the contact / movement vectors? The delay and accuracy of contacts could change depending on if the radio of player's tank is intact or not, etc... These are just general ideas. I hope you know what I mean.

Thirdly, infantry seem a bit too brave. I mean that they keep standing up and peeking from their trenches even if artillery or tank is firing at them. This can be seen in APOS too and leads to unnecessary casualties. I suggest them to lay down or stay longer in the cover and make quicker peeks. I would also like to see infantry automatically changing position relative to the threat and fast, if they are caught out of cover (in case there is better cover nearby). Not easy things to make, I understand.

#3476982 - 12/19/11 01:51 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
ramas Offline
ramas  Offline

@lavish

my thoughts exactly! I agree with everything you say, especially the real-time update on enemy positions. Makes spotting the enemy way too easy. I have noticed that sometimes on the big map (f10) you will find information on the enemy in the form of a yellow arrow, a time stamp and a symbol for infantry or armored unit. This means units were last seen there and then, before the observing unit lost contact. I find that to be a nice alternative symbol too for representing the intel in a new, less accurate way (next to your suggestions).

I have witnessed in a quick battle that the russian crew does talk btw (was that mentioned before?), and that you get information on the enemy´s whereabouts, grid location, and direction of attack - 10 minutes before the enemy even reaches your position. So the written and spoken radio messages do exist already, which I find important.

ramas

#3476990 - 12/19/11 02:08 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
Spearfish Offline
Spearfish  Offline

Try introduce radio jamming!

#3476991 - 12/19/11 02:08 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: lavish]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

Originally Posted By: lavish
First, I noticed some pathfinding issues with tanks, especially with ditches - they try to drive over them and get stuck in there. I suggest that these ditches are marked for AI as "do not drive through these" - they are tank traps. This might "get fixed" in the patch though (as said, the current version may not be what it should have been).

Direct control of the driver does not mean its independence moves. This is done _specifically_ to tanks not turned by side.
Do you want to travel far and thoughtfully - welcome to the tactical map. In this case, the AI drivers will maneuver depending on the type of movement.

Separately, about the ditches in Iran - made _specifically_ to tanks getting stuck in them, as was the case in reality. Major losses not from enemy fire, but because of the jam. It also depends on the weather, rain is very easy to get stuck.

A few photos from this places and time to make it clear what is meant:

#3476993 - 12/19/11 02:09 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

Second part:

We tried to make about the same.

#3477011 - 12/19/11 03:08 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Aramsham]  
Void Offline
Void  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted By: Gargantou
I am still on the fence on whether to buy this or not, I loved APK43, but these problems in communication with the publisher is worrying.

buy it! support the developers! burnout

I5-4670@4.4Ghz, MSI Z87-G45,Crucial Ballistics lp 8Gb Ram, Crucial MX100 256 SSD, GTX 980, 1980x1080, Win10 64
#3477029 - 12/19/11 04:02 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: andrey12345]  
lavish Offline
lavish  Offline

@Andrey eek2

HAHAHKEKEKEK!!! biggrin How on earth did some of those happen? biggrin

Well, I do not argue about tanks getting stuck IF they try to go over ditches. The problem is about A.I. driving into ditches if I order them to move to the other side (without movement modifiers). I think that A.I. should always use fords for crossing. However, I just tried the movement modifier "move by using roads" and it seems that now A.I. uses fordings correctly (even without roads) - everything ok. The "side-effect" is that they use roads during their movement even if I don't want to, but that's not a big issue.

Last edited by lavish; 12/19/11 04:14 PM.
#3477052 - 12/19/11 05:01 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: lavish]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

Originally Posted By: lavish

Well, I do not argue about tanks getting stuck IF they try to go over ditches. The problem is about A.I. driving into ditches if I order them to move to the other side (without movement modifiers). I think that A.I. should always use fords for crossing. However, I just tried the movement modifier "move by using roads" and it seems that now A.I. uses fordings correctly (even without roads) - everything ok. The "side-effect" is that they use roads during their movement even if I don't want to, but that's not a big issue.

So for the AI and they are not marked as impassable area, otherwise how to make it get stuck there?
If you do not want to get stuck driving on the roads smile

Here the dual question, if AI is to maneuver, they will claim that it substitutes the side-armor. Now, in contrast to the SF user have a choice of what to do. Perhaps not the most comfortable, but it is.

Well, some changes in this aspect (from APOS tactics) will be in the next patch.

#3477191 - 12/19/11 07:59 PM Re: Steel Armor BOW [Re: Tracy]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
Nice pics, lol, I wish I could find an abandoned T-62 in the woods behind my house!

Andrey, is there a way of enabelling a joystick for aiming and driving at all?

Cheers!

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.