Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3468295 - 12/05/11 04:16 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: December]  
Tiger_BiH Offline
Tiger_BiH  Offline

Originally Posted By: December
Originally Posted By: Snake_Pliskinn
Originally Posted By: Tiger_BiH
Glad to see that Tec Light and IRNV are getting a fix nerf finally.

I am not sure how i feel about the persistence of AT mines getting removed after you die. I mean Most tanks that have the IR enabled they can spot the mines easily and blow them up before they get activated this will just make it harder for us to stop the Armor.

Tiger

Mines are already a useless item to carry as many players have ranked up and can spot "glowing" mines. BC2 had the best system for mines, they were persistent but you could only lay 6.

Agreed. I would recommend that something like the 6 persistant mines employed at a time PLUS the ability to 'bury' the mines so they wouldn't be visible to tanks (even with IR). Would take longer to 'bury' mines (holding down LMB), but then would permit any engineer equipped soldier (rank wouldn't matter) within close distance (yeah, he'd have to walk at least beside the road distance) to spot buryed mines. Would prevent 'raging bull' tank attacks and promote infantry-tank teamwork.

Interesting idea but it may slow the game down too much too much for the devs.

Right now they are presistant in BF3 and it certainly hasn't slowed down the armor in the game. As Snake mentioned people that have ranked up the have the IR sensor in the tank and can spot the mines across the map. While i am still able to get a tank kill once in a while with the AT Mines i really have to be creative whit where i place the mines. But now that persistence will go away i am not going to even try. I mean laying down mines is already dangerous enough because you are exposing your self to fire while you are placing them down and the risk is not worth anymore.

I don't know why but they are really doing a good job on handicapping the Engineer class. 4 to 5 RPG's to kill Tank, Anti Air missiles are useless even after the last patch they made it even more weak nobody even bother using these for air anymore. I have killed more chompers with the tank RPG's then the actual AA. now the mine persistence will go away, i think it might be time for me to move over to support or assault class and start unlocking that.

/rent over

Tiger

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3468403 - 12/05/11 07:31 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: December]  
Snake_Pliskinn Offline
Snake_Pliskinn  Offline

Enterprise, AL
What will really slow things down for the developers is if enough people just say 'screw it, I'll get a flight sim or go to world of tanks instead of playing BF3-Planes and Tank Trains. I'm not talking about a long time to 'bury' each mine, just perhaps a few seconds more per each mine.The unintended consequence of making mines useless is that every engineer will now carry the repair tool making it easier for tanks to be repaired and making them that much more powerful.
Originally Posted By: Snake_Pliskinn
Glad to see that Tec Light and IRNV are getting a fix nerf finally.

I am not sure how i feel about the persistence of AT mines getting removed after you die. I mean Most tanks that have the IR enabled they can spot the mines easily and blow them up before they get activated this will just make it harder for us to stop the Armor.

Tiger

Mines are already a useless item to carry as many players have ranked up and can spot "glowing" mines. BC2 had the best system for mines, they were persistent but you could only lay 6.

Agreed. I would recommend that something like the 6 persistant mines employed at a time PLUS the ability to 'bury' the mines so they wouldn't be visible to tanks (even with IR). Would take longer to 'bury' mines (holding down LMB), but then would permit any engineer equipped soldier (rank wouldn't matter) within close distance (yeah, he'd have to walk at least beside the road distance) to spot buryed mines. Would prevent 'raging bull' tank attacks and promote infantry-tank teamwork.

Interesting idea but it may slow the game down too much too much for the devs.

#3468789 - 12/06/11 01:26 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Looks like the Choppers took a beating in the new patch.
Taken from the Battlelog forums....

Quote:
You see where this is going.. Basically if your team doesn't have two jets in the air then just fly your heli over to an enemy player, land to surrender her and promptly commit suicide." RIP fellow Attack Heli pilots. I hardly knew ye.

After the test I immediately ran into the bedroom and began weeping into a pillow. The emotion was so strong it completely overwhelmed me and broke me. Now I'm just a depressed little zoloft lump and can't even hit the screen. <-- True story.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3468807 - 12/06/11 01:56 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Chucky]  
Snake_Pliskinn Offline
Snake_Pliskinn  Offline

Enterprise, AL
Originally Posted By: Chucky
Looks like the Choppers took a beating in the new patch.
Taken from the Battlelog forums....

Quote:
You see where this is going.. Basically if your team doesn't have two jets in the air then just fly your heli over to an enemy player, land to surrender her and promptly commit suicide." RIP fellow Attack Heli pilots. I hardly knew ye.

After the test I immediately ran into the bedroom and began weeping into a pillow. The emotion was so strong it completely overwhelmed me and broke me. Now I'm just a depressed little zoloft lump and can't even hit the screen. <-- True story.

Its not that they took a beating, just some balance was brought into the game. You cannot damage the big helicopters at all it seems, with the support class machineguns, and the nerf to .50 cal damage in the first patch was just stupid. Now they won't be meandering overhead doing pedal turns to engage and might actually require teamwork - that horrid word again! - for teammates to take out the anti-air or kill the Stinger/Igla engineers.
Now if they just increased the time it takes to repair a tank or AA vehicle.

#3468996 - 12/06/11 06:50 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
fatty Offline
fatty  Offline

Brussels, Belgium
I think as more people level up and acquire the tank IR perk, you'll see greater pressure for DICE to revisit and improve the effectiveness of mines vs. tanks. I can certainly sympathize with the direction they've taken. Mines in BFBC2 were brutal against tanks. Set in among rubble or craters, they were almost impossible to spot and were essentially guaranteed to kill with the improved demo power-up. But, having played tanks for a couple of hours in BF3 with the IR perk, I can safely conclude that mines are just not a threat to me when I am in a tank. Most of the time I blow them up for some easy points, other times I just avoid them.

My suggested fix would be to make mines 'dark' on IR so that they don't pop like they currently do. The terrain is actually kind of hard to read when IR is engaged. If you've been my gunner, you've probably noticed how terrible a tank driver I am - it's because I can't see where I'm going for !@#$. So, if mines blended in with the terrain, this would be a pretty effective balance against the omniscient IR upgrade. Counter-balance this with the 6 mine limit and removal of persistence so that we don't get the enormous minefields that we've seen up until this patch, and I think that'd be fair.

"...for who are so free as the sons of the waves?"
#3469017 - 12/06/11 07:22 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

My PC Limited Edition version just updated with a 3.9GB patch, so that's Karkland just the patch etc.

Last edited by FearlessFrog; 12/06/11 07:23 PM.
#3469024 - 12/06/11 07:30 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: fatty]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: fatty
I think as more people level up and acquire the tank IR perk, you'll see greater pressure for DICE to revisit and improve the effectiveness of mines vs. tanks. I can certainly sympathize with the direction they've taken. Mines in BFBC2 were brutal against tanks. Set in among rubble or craters, they were almost impossible to spot and were essentially guaranteed to kill with the improved demo power-up. But, having played tanks for a couple of hours in BF3 with the IR perk, I can safely conclude that mines are just not a threat to me when I am in a tank. Most of the time I blow them up for some easy points, other times I just avoid them.

My suggested fix would be to make mines 'dark' on IR so that they don't pop like they currently do. The terrain is actually kind of hard to read when IR is engaged. If you've been my gunner, you've probably noticed how terrible a tank driver I am - it's because I can't see where I'm going for !@#$. So, if mines blended in with the terrain, this would be a pretty effective balance against the omniscient IR upgrade. Counter-balance this with the 6 mine limit and removal of persistence so that we don't get the enormous minefields that we've seen up until this patch, and I think that'd be fair.

Maybe add a perk to drop "cool" mines that do not standout.

#3469045 - 12/06/11 07:45 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Yeah, played a quick round on the new patch. Stuff I noticed so far:

- Tactical lights are more focused, as in they blind you still but need to be aimed a bit more

- IR scope is still pretty good, and the main differences are they've made heat signatures less orange, less distance detection and smoke seems to obscure things more

- Mines disappear quicker, although I just played Seine and Market, so not had a chance to see how nerfed eng really is.

I ranked up on assault, then eng, so now I'll do support - they won't nerf that for a bit longer.. smile

#3469088 - 12/06/11 08:48 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
Tiger_BiH Offline
Tiger_BiH  Offline

hows the Anti Air rockets, i hear they made those stronger now, have you had a chance to try them??

#3469099 - 12/06/11 08:57 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: fatty]  
Morgans_Raiders Offline
Morgans_Raiders  Offline

North Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: fatty

I think then you could provide a bit of added balance to your suggestion for the tank by not necessarily guaranteeing 1 mine = 1 kill as well. Vary between disabled and destroyed, even if it was weighted towards destroyed.

#3469321 - 12/07/11 01:56 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

This game has so many issues i don't know where to begin. Definitely my last BF game as i really dislike the formula. Glad some of you guys are enjoying it.

#3469330 - 12/07/11 02:25 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
Dirt_Diver Offline
Dirt_Diver  Offline

I just tried a match with the new patch ... lots of nice polish. Nice to see the new advanced server filter and for once my game doesn’t do the “BF3 stopped working” thing when it first starts after a reboot.

I find the graphics seem smoother to the point that I can now use 4xMSAA whereas before the patch, any type of AA would induce some stuttering on maps like Caspian on my computer (textures Ultra, everything else set to High).

The chat window seems really clear now and positioned to the top left. Also, the spotting polygon has a frame around it so that you can spot stuff easier.

I tried the new IRNV 1x scope but it’s still as deadly as ever. Now distant guys show up as glowing green instead of bright yellow smile LOL! Ah well, I guess I can get used to smoking noobs that aren’t IRNV equipped biggrin but I really think this scope doesn’t belong in BF3. Hopefully a Procon weapons limiter plugin is in the works like the one they had for BC2.

I haven’t yet gotten blinded with a tac light or laser so far so that’s a good sign ...

|| Intel Quad Core Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || nVidia GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB || 8 GB Corsair DDR2 || Win 7 64bit ||
|| Logitech G500 Mouse || Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Gear || Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Quadrant || Saitek X52 Pro Hotas || TrackIR 5 ||
#3469338 - 12/07/11 02:50 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Dirt_Diver]  
Dirt_Diver Offline
Dirt_Diver  Offline

Quick update to my previous post, I just tried a hardcore rush game and the IRNV scope seems way more handicapped in hardcore. There’s a whole “fog of war” haze thing going on with it as well. I'm glad I'll be able to use my trusty 4x ACOG again smile

Blatant plug follows ... 24*7 hardcore squad rush (4 on 4) at my server here ...

WARNING: For attacking in this mode, communication is HIGHLY suggested.

|| Intel Quad Core Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || nVidia GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB || 8 GB Corsair DDR2 || Win 7 64bit ||
|| Logitech G500 Mouse || Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Gear || Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Quadrant || Saitek X52 Pro Hotas || TrackIR 5 ||
#3469393 - 12/07/11 05:54 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
KublaKhan Offline
KublaKhan  Offline

KY - USA
I don't like the new IRNV scope. They have all these unlocks for weapons then begin handicapping them. What's the point?

And the new chat, its okay, but why would they remove the squad chat color? Your squad chat used to be all green, which was helpful for those that didn't have voice comms. It attracted your attention, now its all the same color. Blah.

I'm 50/50 on the patch right now. Maybe with some more playing time it will grow on me.

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun-Tzu
#3469397 - 12/07/11 06:26 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
Tiger_BiH Offline
Tiger_BiH  Offline

I put in few hours tonight with the new patch. I would say overall postiive experience. I should mentioned i played on hardcore server.

1. The first start up game crash is gone now for me.
2. IRNV is limited to really CQB now anything past 70 yards is fogy and it would be tough to spot people if not impossible. I switched back to my regular scope after trying IRNV with the new patch.
3. Game seems to run a little smother for me.
4. Like the new chat window position. I still would prefer to have it on the bottom of the screen ala BF1943 but its definitely improvement where it initially was.

Negatives:
1. I still get a hang up during the map changes and then i have to exit out of the game and come back in. This happened few times tonight.
2. AT mine persistence gone.

Overall i had fun tonight i cant wait to try the new maps next week. I would say at this time the patch is step in right directions. I still have some testing to do tomorrow. I hear the AA rockets are good didnt have a chance to try them tonight but will for sure next time i log in.

#3469415 - 12/07/11 08:11 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
More importantly,the Antenna on Caspian now falls down with 30 tickets left.
I nearly got whacked out of the sky last night by it.

Some of my guys rode it down.

Last edited by Chucky; 12/07/11 08:13 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3469417 - 12/07/11 08:23 AM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Sim]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Biggest pet peeve of this game has always been those damn parachutes. lol

#3469484 - 12/07/11 01:49 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Tiger_BiH]  
Morgans_Raiders Offline
Morgans_Raiders  Offline

North Coast, USA

Overall i had fun tonight i cant wait to try the new maps next week. I would say at this time the patch is step in right directions. I still have some testing to do tomorrow. I hear the AA rockets are good didnt have a chance to try them tonight but will for sure next time i log in.

I only got to play a couple short rounds last night because I didn't finish downloading the patch until about 10:45, but I did get the chance to fire off a few shots at choppers and they seem to be more effective. The first one I shot got spoofed by chaff but I think the extended reset time on the choppers lets you sneak a second one in there if you can manage to maintain the lock the whole time. Before this I never seemed to be able to score a hit unless the chopper used its counter-measures against someone else and I was able to fire immediately afterwards.

Otis

#3469536 - 12/07/11 02:50 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: KublaKhan]  
Dirt_Diver Offline
Dirt_Diver  Offline

Originally Posted By: KublaKhan
I don't like the new IRNV scope. They have all these unlocks for weapons then begin handicapping them. What's the point?

Game balance. The old IRNV scope was WAY overpowered (The only thing in the game that I actually considered a cheat).

And the new chat, its okay, but why would they remove the squad chat color? Your squad chat used to be all green, which was helpful for those that didn't have voice comms. It attracted your attention, now its all the same color. Blah.

The squad chat color is fine (green). Since two patches ago, you have to manually join a squad. You're probably not seeing the green squad chat color because you're sitting in the "no squad" squad smile

I'm 50/50 on the patch right now. Maybe with some more playing time it will grow on me.

Playing more would probably be a good idea. There are way to many critics and not enough players around the forums these days.

#3469569 - 12/07/11 03:26 PM Re: 6th Dec Update is coming [Re: Morgans_Raiders]  
Tiger_BiH Offline
Tiger_BiH  Offline

Cool, i played with Einstein last night, and he mentioned to me he was able to hit the helicopter once and in the process kill the gunner. Its definitely good to know that folks are having better luck now.

I did have one helicopter kill with a tank round last night, its probably not something that would happen in real world scenario but it sure made for a satisfying kill. smile

Tiger

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.