Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3437803 - 11/20/11 02:04 PM Where is all the beauty?  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

I had not time to play CloD for a couple months and now I almost don't recognize it. It looked almost perfect some time ago with best lighting and visuals I have ever seen in the genre if not all other games. It looked so real except probably tree massifs which need only a subtle tweak. I especially loved to take off at a later afternoon, a golden hour with long shadows and everything illuminated by a mild warm light. Now they killed all the beauty with a kind of indigo filter over everything so the sun is still high enough and the ground looks like almost at night. The day time lighting also looks worse now even in the cockpits.
I have loved this game so much due to its outstanding art and visuals and now I see almost no difference with WoP and few others. It's sad they decided to mess up their achievements instead of just adding a gamma and perhaps a color slider in the video settings.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3437834 - 11/20/11 03:16 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

re-calibrate your monitor.

#3437870 - 11/20/11 04:50 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Lol WinkNGrin I just knew someone was going to say that.
I personally thought the colours were slightly better about two betas ago, the only thing that really bothers me is the cockpits, which used to be much better.

Soaringbird, there is a rewrite of the gfx engine on the way. I think Luthier has said he won't be changing the colours again, but maybe the new gfx guy will add in a couple of sliders as well just to keep everyone happy.

Last edited by Bokononist; 11/20/11 08:40 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3437977 - 11/20/11 08:38 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
If I don't see the realistic, contrasty in-cockpit sunlight come back this sim may stay forever in my desk drawer, never
to be installed.

#3437988 - 11/20/11 08:55 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Gambit21]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Actually, the only time the cockpits bother me is when someone mentions it! The only thing that does bother me are the flickering shadows on the ground. Once they are fixed, which I'm sure will be dealt with in the upcoming patch, and the performance of the engine is improved, then I will be an extremely happy camper indeed.
Other than that this sim is genuinely beautiful. I know everyones got their own opinion, but thats exactly the point, if 100 people, simmers, artists, laymen or whoever were given the task of making the colours in this (or any) game as realistic as possible I guarantee that there would be 100 different results. Thats just human nature, and we all see things differently.
If anyone finds it impossible to play this sim at all because their opinion is that the greens are slightly the wrong shade of green or something like that, then thats a shame because this thing has a wealth of things to discover and enjoy beyond the pretty scenery. Just my opinion.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3437995 - 11/20/11 09:11 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
What other WW11 air combat game is there to even come up against CloD atm if people shelve it because of colours ? BoB WoV or IL2, anything else? Speaking purely graphically what else is even close?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3438048 - 11/20/11 10:57 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

My monitors are always calibrated. I am accustomed to use colorimeter devices on a regular basis.

#3438054 - 11/20/11 11:03 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
I just got my new rig - so I only have Il-2 to compare it with... needless to say, I'm blown away.

It would be nice if the ToD tools get released with the terrain maker SDK... then we can adjust it whichever way we want (including for people with different colour perceptions - like artists, movie watchers who don't go out much, people who live at different latitudes or in places that rain less than England, and people who are colour blind).

We can force the virtual England to confirm to our norms from wherever we happen to live (and call it more realistic)! Should be fun. biggrin

#3438061 - 11/20/11 11:11 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Ajay]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ajay
What other WW11 air combat game is there to even come up against CloD atm if people shelve it because of colours ? BoB WoV or IL2, anything else? Speaking purely graphically what else is even close?

I am agree that nothing was even close, some time ago and still is probably. It's pity although they gave up on their old, very realistic lighting and visual style and now seems trying to do something visually simplified like last Battlefield.

#3438104 - 11/21/11 12:25 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Gambit21]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Gambit21
If I don't see the realistic, contrasty in-cockpit sunlight come back this sim may stay forever in my desk drawer, never
to be installed.

Not only that: the drawer will actually be NAILED shut. To remain so forever.

Thus Luthier has ruined not only a sim, but a fine piece of woodwork too.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3438383 - 11/21/11 09:39 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Frey...that was actually quite funny for you! smile

#3438409 - 11/21/11 11:58 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Freycinet]  
Gremlin1012 Offline
Gremlin1012  Offline

Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Originally Posted By: Gambit21
to be installed.

Not only that: the drawer will actually be NAILED shut. To remain so forever.

Thus Luthier has ruined not only a sim, but a fine piece of woodwork too.

Well yes, but on the other hand, he has boosted the nail and hammer industry... biggrin

#3438421 - 11/21/11 12:46 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Nevermind Luthier.. what about Oleg? I'm still dumbfounded why the man who gave us 'the' WWII flight sim game, and was set to enhance his god like status, suddenly left.
Did he jump, or was he pushed?
If he 'jumped' because he knew CoD was never going to come out right on release, he's the one that let all the fans down, not Luthier.

#3439780 - 11/23/11 01:07 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
More than likely pursued his other interests with less stress and more money smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3439863 - 11/23/11 05:12 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Trooper117]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
Nevermind Luthier.. what about Oleg? I'm still dumbfounded why the man who gave us 'the' WWII flight sim game, and was set to enhance his god like status, suddenly left.
If he 'jumped' because he knew CoD was never going to come out right on release, he's the one that let all the fans down, not Luthier.

Jason Williams posted his opinion on what happened with Oleg a couple of months back, around September.

#3439929 - 11/23/11 08:18 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Trooper117]  
rootango Offline
rootango  Offline

everywhere

by all indications he was pushed, but that opinions is based on multiple snippets of information over the last 2 yrs
- up until 1 yr before release oleg was still macro managing the project, and making regular weekly update posts on his forum
- 18 months before release oleg stated the aimed firm release date of oct 2010 (anniversary of BoB)
- 3 months before the due release date it must have become clear that the project was to unfinished to be put together as a working unit by that date, and by then they had gone through at least 2 gfx engine rebuilds in an attempt to solve it
- around the same time an announcement was made that financial backers (? mainly ubi) would not tolerate further delays past the intended release date and they put their foot down
- oleg made some bitter forum posts on youtube video locations that financial interests were ruining the project, by them solely being focused on making $ instead of being able to create a quality product that would have needed further time to finish
- luthier takes over the project for the last few months prior to release
- oleg stops posting, no explanations given

to me that is pretty solid indication oleg must have firmly held his position that he wouldnt be responsible for releasing it into such an unfinished state, and that he insisted on being given more time to do so. the likely reply from the $ backers was "our way, or the highway", and oleg stepped aside.

prior to olegs bitter posts on that youtube site, he was still very much involved and in control. no doubt however they had a proble with lack of quality control in the gfx engine building, it should have been clear to them at least 6 months before release that it wasnt working as expected to the required standard.

remember the stuttering video on the pc screens at the early russian trade show ? all that was then still blamed on the "2gb ram in the pc's", but it cant have been true. thats around the last time oleg was still involved and making a brave show of it, after that no more

we'll eventually find out, but no doubt he was pushed out in those last months

Be advised, we got zips in the wire
#3440019 - 11/23/11 02:12 PM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
You would think that ubi or whoever was responsible, must have known that pushing out an unfinished product could literaly kill the project, and in real terms any profits that could be made from it.. seems like madness!

#3461487 - 11/25/11 02:05 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: soaringbird]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The thing is..they simply do not care smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3461626 - 11/25/11 08:47 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Trooper117]  
rootango Offline
rootango  Offline

everywhere
You would think that ubi or whoever was responsible, must have known that pushing out an unfinished product could literaly kill the project, and in real terms any profits that could be made from it.. seems like madness!

i'd agree with ajay, ubi (and/or 1c ?)simply didnt care at this point, they just wanted to recoup their money and continue with other products. looking at some of the buggy other releases from ubi (recent versions of silent hunter for ex), customers still buy it, no matter what roar of complaints other more serious simmers raise. simply put, its a viable business strategy for them.

the good news in this dark episode is that luthier seems to plod away at trying to solve the main problems, it might take some time but it could still come together in the end (my estimate is by about 12 months after initial release)

Be advised, we got zips in the wire
#3461665 - 11/25/11 11:53 AM Re: Where is all the beauty? [Re: Trooper117]  
mazex Offline
mazex  Offline

Sweden
Well, word on the street is that Ubi had nothing to do with financing the project. It was 1C that got fed up after 7 years of development with 1-2 restarts... There is no such thing as a free lunch - if you have been developing a game for that long time and you still have a year of fixing until you are ready for release - heads will roll. At least that's how it works in the rest of the market economy.

A 3D engine is not something you can spend 7 years developing until the first release to market. Technology moves too fast these days so things that where not on the original design like 64-bit systems being the norm and 4+ cores in every modern gaming rig was just a dream in 2004 when they started developing CoD.

The whole thing is very sad though as Olegs gold plated vision of the prefect simulator was a nice one, just like the ambitious Falcon 4.0 projekt was.

Having said this I really enjoy CoD as it is now, a bit more polish and fixing of memory leaks etc and we are close to what I was dreaming of back in the days when we heard the first rumors about Storm of War... I hope the 3D engine refresh will get it good enough to release a sequel that gets a better reception that CoD (not that hard ;)) so they get the funding to continue expanding and enhancing the product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.