Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3455432 - 04/14/07 03:44 AM I got it too...  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

OK...here's the scoop gentlemen...

If I had to describe WOV in one word, it would be - POTENTIAL- If this game can be patched and supported, added to and modded, it has a chance to be a great helo sim. As it is, there are issues but I do not regret the purchase. The graphics are good and the atmosphere is good as well. Flying is fun, as is hosing the jungle with 5.56 minis.

The missions are scripted, heavily...and as you all know, there are only 10. This is the game's major downfall at this point for me. No training, no tutorial, no single missions, no quick missions, etc. The manual sucks, so I'm really just learning as I go, and I'm no rotorhead so the going is slow. Flying is intuitive for me, but target location and proper employment is going to take some time. Auto pilot seems a bit screwy which is bad because anytime you switch to the door gunner, auto pilot switches on automatically. Not being able to fly the UH1-D doesn't bother me so much at this point, because taking off from an LZ with 12 other helos is bad ass no matter how you look at it...

I'm not really sure how people are completing the missions in like 10 minutes. I just played the first mission for about 25/30 minutes and didnt complete it, but I guess I was just shooting trees and not the Cong...

The game runs well in-flight, but menu screens are sometimes choppy and there are loading times.

Anyway, its really still too early for me to tell whether problems I am experiencing are related to my learning curve, or if there are bugs. Probably a little bit of both...

I say if you were waiting for this game eagerly, you should get it. We simmers are tight community as it is, and this particular sim needs an even tighter one...with strong community and a handful of talented modders, our "Apocalypse Now" dreams may still come true...

Semper Fi

Last edited by Grunt0331; 04/14/07 03:47 AM.

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3455433 - 04/14/07 06:55 AM Re: I got it too... [Re: Grunt0331]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Quote:
I guess I was just shooting trees and not the Cong...

Well...that part sounds realistic anyway! \:D Thanks for the mini-review...

Regards..
BeachAV8R

#3455434 - 04/14/07 09:50 AM Re: I got it too... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
ADV4 Offline
ADV4  Offline

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably get this, like you I'm not really a rotor guy but I've been flight simming for years. judging from what you wrote I would not drop 50-60 $$ on it but if its only 30 bucks sure why not. If it gives me 8 or so hours I'll consider it worth it. I imagine it will take me much longer to master.

Almost hesitate to throw this in but here it is.... http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646914

It looks absolutly horrible, I was holding out hope that perhaps the flight models or physics would be above average judging by its poor looks. But looking at those screens its hard to imagine. I would play it if it offered something new in that reguard. The graphics are I think the worst I've seen but I could get past it maybe if it shined in other areas.

#3455435 - 04/15/07 01:34 AM Re: I got it too... [Re: ADV4]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey ... if you get dissapointed ... you could always give the Mede-Evac game a try ... Hueys ... Vietnam ... not too bad.

#3455436 - 04/15/07 06:58 PM Re: I got it too... [Re: ]  
Decca Offline
Decca  Offline

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: LIONPRIDE
Hey ... if you get dissapointed ... you could always give the Mede-Evac game a try ... Hueys ... Vietnam ... not too bad.

It is very good indeed.

Decca
#3455437 - 04/15/07 09:05 PM Re: I got it too... [Re: Decca]  
GregB Offline
GregB  Offline

Washington
I loved the flight model of Med-Evac Vietnam but the graphics were a bit out dated... I was REALLY hoping that this game would take its place.. I was VERY disapointed in the reviews I've read and the lack of any kind of campaign makes me almost angry 8(....From the makers of Il-2 ,which is a awesome game, I would expect MORE! I hope that it is modable and that ppl want to make it a great game!! The community for the SH4 game is rockin!! Please any of you moders out there help us make a playable Helo game!! please!!

BTW I pre-ordered... and I will play it but I hope it don't die too quick

#3455438 - 04/19/07 11:42 AM Re: I got it too... [Re: GregB]  
Simon Read Offline
Simon Read  Offline

Australia
I have been playing Vietnam Medevac again after reading these comments. What a great game! The playability! I cannot understand why I ever took it off my hard drive. it stays there now!

#3455439 - 04/22/07 08:53 PM Re: I got it too... [Re: GregB]  
FokkerDVIII Offline
FokkerDVIII  Offline

Originally Posted By: GregB
I loved the flight model of Med-Evac Vietnam but the graphics were a bit out dated... I was REALLY hoping that this game would take its place.. I was VERY disapointed in the reviews I've read and the lack of any kind of campaign makes me almost angry 8(....From the makers of Il-2 ,which is a awesome game, I would expect MORE! I hope that it is modable and that ppl want to make it a great game!! The community for the SH4 game is rockin!! Please any of you moders out there help us make a playable Helo game!! please!!

BTW I pre-ordered... and I will play it but I hope it don't die too quick

Yeah its just a damn shame the company wouldnt release the code or improve it.There should have been a lot more ground fire but on most missions with enemy your lucky to see maybe 7-8 cong running around and they are easy to subdue with the m-60.Its still good but with a mod community it could be so much better.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHZ,MSI K9A2 CF V2 MB,6GB Corsair DDR2 Ram,EVGA Geforce GTX560 1GB,500GB Seagate drive,200GB WD drive.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.