Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3437184 - 11/19/11 09:13 AM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
911dan Offline
911dan  Offline

As bad as CloD supposedly is, it remains the only game I've bought in the past 2 years. I've tried hard to get excited about this year's new block-buster releases, but they all bore and/or annoy me. My former squad that used to fly USN carrier ops in Il-2 has moved on to a modern jet sim "DCS". The whole world is becoming alien to me. I am truly stuck in the 1940's and can't get out.

The latest dev updates are simply icing on the cake. I truly hope the Maddox Games team are well rewarded some day, because right now it is an incredible up-hill fight for them against all those other big-budget game studios racking up millions of customers.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3437194 - 11/19/11 09:53 AM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
My feelings are this.. Although the devs have had an appalling system of communication with the fans they need to keep to make sure this game regains its popularity and hopefully sales, deep down I think they are slowly getting there, and there is light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

#3437264 - 11/19/11 01:39 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Originally Posted By: Avimimus
Originally Posted By: Bokononist

Except that something does happen, every time. It may not be as quick or as much as we would ideally like every time, but since release the graphics look nicer and run smoother, the multiplayer interface has been improved, various aircraft bugs have been fixed and so on. At no point has a patch been announced and then 'nothing happens'.

Yes, the arguments that it's totally bugged have totally lost me.

It is odd though isn't it?

As we have seen over the months, there are a section of SimHQ members who's hobby is to let people know that they do not play this game. It's probably a combination of dislike for the publisher, platform, developer and/or the fans, but it's rarely anything to do with the damn game itself. smile

The weird thing is that I was basically convinced: I assumed that it wouldn't run well, filled with stutters and glitches. I was also brought to believe that there were no great improvements over Il-2 (instead of it being truly a revolutionary leap forward).

IMHO, both of these turned out to be wrong when I finally got a copy (albeit on a computer that was custom built for it).

"Never has so much been patched by so few for so many in so short a time." - W1ndy

Some odd mods

WWI aircraft guide

Survival!

#3437270 - 11/19/11 01:47 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: falstaff]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Originally Posted By: falstaff
Possibly.

Or it could just be the reasoned view that many people who had a lot of faith in this game feel let down, and/or are bemused by the small improvements, and perhaps (still) wondering where the major improvements are. You know, those bits previously advertised, like a dynamic campaign and dynamic weather.

Last time I looked, those issues hadn't gone away (nor many smaller ones).

Ben

I'm actually kind-of glad that they cut the dynamic campaign (given that the 3rd party can probably do better). The dynamic weather is a shame - especially for those of us who were looking forward to flying a glider (but they are apparently recoding it). It would also be nice to get the SDK... (so we can build gliders).

There are a lot of pretty remarkable improvements - but they are in details - like the customisable interface, or the more detailed flight model (try banking a He-111 - it sideslips and loses aileron authority - no more flying bombers like fighters). There is a lot of potential in the engine if they can get it to work for people who aren't as lucky as I am (apparently). A whole bunch of details have been brought to a whole new era of fidelity - they just need tweaking.

I agree completely that the launch was a mess and the code wasn't ready. I also hate Steam - so the picture isn't all rosy!

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
If the FM's, DM's, lack of COOP and memory leak crashes are not fixed then MP is still not good enough.
If the wingman commands and AI are not fixed then SP is still not good enough.

It doesn't matter how fast and good the visuals are if these important problems are not sorted.

Frogy, ive been away from the forum for a bit...ive put COD back on the self until(if) the problems get sorted, you had enough too?

He, he - I'm an offline flyer. I'm actually enjoying getting the upper hand on the SP AI - although I'm beginning to see it as an area which could really use work.

#3437366 - 11/19/11 05:26 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

FF said

Quote:
Hi Ben - good to see your 364th post on Cliffs of Dover here at SimHQ: Exclusively all about Cliffs of Dover (other than the ones moderated out, of course). You did post once in the Gaijin forum, but I assume that was either a mistake or someone referred to Cliffs of Dover - I'm not sure. Still fighting the good fight I see? We all have hobbies, and protecting innocent consumers against rogue advertising is a noble cause. After all this time, still though? I admire your determination and persistence, I guess.

It's actually all been a bit sad really, as in I won't repeat all the names, but I can think of so many SimHQ members (some with join dates before this decade, and over 1000 posts) that have been permanently banned from this site because of this stupid mediocre game (Not suspended, or asked to leave for a bit, but never again allowed to post at SimHQ whatever their IP; a lifetime ban). Like I said, I find it all odd.

It's mind-boggling of what a waste of time and effort it's all been really.

I don't really care to single you out Ben, as your posts follow the forums rules - go for it, but it did make me reminisce a bit of all those names of accounts gone by..

(sips on pipe)

I used to have a different log-in many years ago, I was on here way, way back. And I dont mind being singled out....

As for the rest of, well, it's a broad church smile. No crusade, more just eye-rolling...

Yup, some have been banned, a shame. And I think of others who weren't who should have been. I'd have quite happily been banned if one or two others had been kicked out. But that all seems to ahve passed now. Things seem quite calm (resigned? Or quietly expectant?)

Ben

Last edited by falstaff; 11/19/11 05:30 PM.
#3438038 - 11/20/11 10:26 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

It's quiet cos most of the haters have moved on and the people that comment are the ones that actually play the game now.

Oh you'll occasionally get them back whenever an update or an announcement is made, usually just to come on and post what they did in the early days just to stir the pot... while totally ignoring all the progress that's been made so far.

#3438043 - 11/20/11 10:45 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

bearing that in mind...PLEASE SIR, CAN I STIR THE POT? smile

ben

#3438047 - 11/20/11 10:57 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: WynnTTr]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Originally Posted By: WynnTTr
It's quiet cos most of the haters have moved on and the people that comment are the ones that actually play the game now.

Oh you'll occasionally get them back whenever an update or an announcement is made, usually just to come on and post what they did in the early days just to stir the pot... while totally ignoring all the progress that's been made so far.

Seriously WynnTTr - don't stir the pot lad - or I'll cook you in it. wink

P.S.
It is nice when people can balance positive and negative points. I remember the days of the CFS3 fanatics and the Luftwhiners (so this has all happened before in a way).

#3438049 - 11/20/11 10:58 PM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: falstaff]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Originally Posted By: falstaff

As for the rest of, well, it's a broad church smile. No crusade, more just eye-rolling...

Yup, some have been banned, a shame. And I think of others who weren't who should have been. I'd have quite happily been banned if one or two others had been kicked out. But that all seems to ahve passed now. Things seem quite calm (resigned? Or quietly expectant?)

Ben

Yes, it is a shame that we lost a few people. It is important to recognise that the core issue was personal attacks and disruptively off-topic posting - which some people wouldn't move beyond, no matter how much prompting they received. There was a culture of conflict and acrimony that developed out of the mixing of certain personalities with each other (on certain topics).

I really like it now that everyone has gotten their say in and had a chance to cool down a little - So it is now possible for someone like me to wander in and thank the critics for helping me to be so pleasantly surprised.

I'm a bit of a pessimist, so I'd already assumed that it was going to be worse than it turned out to be - the rhetoric on the forums just convinced me that it was going to be so incredibly bugged/limited that I was very awestruck when I actually got it to work. So, thank you!

Also, thanks for being polite and good natured.

#3438102 - 11/21/11 12:20 AM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Avimimus]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Originally Posted By: Avimimus

Seriously WynnTTr - don't stir the pot lad - or I'll cook you in it. wink

P.S.
It is nice when people can balance positive and negative points. I remember the days of the CFS3 fanatics and the Luftwhiners (so this has all happened before in a way).

Only if I can lick the spoon.

#3438228 - 11/21/11 03:01 AM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Dibs on the bowl!

#3462335 - 11/26/11 10:46 AM Re: UPDATE FROM LUTHIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: sharpe26]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Just skimmed through this thread... - Damn', can I get those 30 seconds of my life back? HAHA, I don't know if it is funny or sad to see the discussion in here... It feels a bit like Back to the Future II, where Old Biff goes into the past with the sports almanach and creates his evil alternate reality... biggrin

Anyway, am having a blast online, mostly getting shot down at the moment, but I think I'll only have to go through a few Bader Big Wings worth of pilots to be able to hold my own. Never had so much fun in online gaming!

And no worries, I won't revisit this forum for another good while... Have "fun"!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.