Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3424586 - 11/03/11 01:32 PM Lotsa questions for you guys  
Tallyman4 Offline
Tallyman4  Offline

England(Suffolk)
Just realizing that this may turn out to be a good sim after all.Trying to fly it full real,but always break the engine after I manage (sometimes ) sighto get in the air...perforated radiator,blown oil gasket etc.
Heres some questions:-
1)Updated my gameslist inTIR but COD not showing.TIR works but cannot create profile.Also noted in key mapping to enable TIR,but makes no difference.
2)I have mapped a increase/decrease to mixture,but it just goes fullrich or weak--no inbetween.
3)I am confused about prop pitch.Logic tells me thatmax pitch (100%),like overdrive in your car,but it seems opposite is true,as when I press decrease my RPM falls,indicating greater angle on blades......confusing.
4)sometimes my mapped keys do not work.(bug ?)
Ok -all for now,but sure will have more to come!!....Thx Folks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3424677 - 11/03/11 03:35 PM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Okay I'm not sure about your T-Ir problem, some aircraft mainly British have either Rich or Lean settings (early Hurri and Spit) the key controls that operate those don't work in the German planes. Greater angle (Coarse) = bigger bite good for climb and take-off. Smaller bite (fine) good for cruise. It took me a while to get the proper keys mapped, I forget how they are labeled but they are different like previous and next compared to increase/decrease. The Spit has a prop pitch lever in the throttle quadrant; Coarse and Fine. While the 109 has a lever in the dash operating a clock face dial to the right (11:30 for take-off and somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 for cruise) someone will correct me I'm sure. For any full real you will need Fuel Selector, Magnetos, Radiator, and Oil Cooler and you can probably find some instructional videos demonstrating Start Procedures on the various planes on You Tube.

edit Okay I just checked, I have for Brit planes like Spit and Hurri: Toggle Mags 1 and 2 but for the 109 it's Magneto Previous and Next so just to illustrate what I said above, elsewhere in this forum I posted a profile for the X-52 if you can find it with many of the functions programmed into it and with most functions listed in the dropdown.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 11/03/11 03:51 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3424687 - 11/03/11 03:44 PM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Hey there Talisman,
Blown engines probably means you've not opened your radiator, they'll overheating pretty Quickly if closed. Mixture lever on the Spit(I guess that's what you're flying) is either auto_rich or auto_lean, that's normal for that plane, check the flames coming from your engine, blue is good, yellow is bad. Prop pitch will cause engine revs to drop as you change it, though it will take bigger chunks of air so set finer pitch for max speed in level flight, that one threw me too when I first started to play. As for key mappings, make sure you click 'apply' when you've made a change not 'OK' otherwise it won't save the changes.
Let me know how you get on, oh and if you're having trouble taking off trimming your rudder full right helps!
Bokonon.

Last edited by Bokononist; 11/03/11 03:47 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3424737 - 11/03/11 04:40 PM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Interesting, I just found that though I can control the 109 pitch via two keys on the keyboard I cannot program them via profile in my X-52 though it throws the proper keys in notepad...curious

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3424738 - 11/03/11 04:41 PM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
JG13_Doggles Offline
JG13_Doggles  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tallyman4
Just realizing that this may turn out to be a good sim after all.Trying to fly it full real,but always break the engine after I manage (sometimes ) sighto get in the air...perforated radiator,blown oil gasket etc.
Heres some questions:-
1)Updated my gameslist inTIR but COD not showing.TIR works but cannot create profile.Also noted in key mapping to enable TIR,but makes no difference.
2)I have mapped a increase/decrease to mixture,but it just goes fullrich or weak--no inbetween.
3)I am confused about prop pitch.Logic tells me thatmax pitch (100%),like overdrive in your car,but it seems opposite is true,as when I press decrease my RPM falls,indicating greater angle on blades......confusing.
4)sometimes my mapped keys do not work.(bug ?)
Ok -all for now,but sure will have more to come!!....Thx Folks

1) I've never used the games list. Just tell it to load the profile you want manually.

2) Others have mentioned this but IIRC the RAF fighters have only auto rich or auto lean settings.

3) It helps to think about pitch not in terms of blade angle but in terms of RPM. You want your engine to run in the range of RPM where it produces the most horsepower, so you play with the blades until you get the RPM you want. If you're pushing decrease, your RPMs should go down. If you push increase your RPMs should go up. Forget blade angles as they are unimportant.

4) Disable "anthropomorphic controls" in the difficulty settings.

5) If you are receiving "blown gasket" messages or similar, you probably forgot to open your radiators. Make sure you open them all the way. You can close them a bit once you get up to altitude. Also make sure you let the RAF fighters warm up on the ground to 30 degrees before you throttle up, otherwise they have a tendency to seize and/or throw a piston.

Last edited by JG13_Doggles; 11/03/11 04:43 PM.
#3425143 - 11/03/11 11:56 PM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: KRT_Bong]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
You can set up the prop pitch on the X52, I had mine set to the slider on the throttle. However, it's not an ideal control for the way the actual lever in the 109 was designed. It functions like a power window switch, only when the lever is toggled is the prop pitch changing. Letting go of the lever re-centers the control, and stops the pitch change. I found the ideal control on my X52 is one of the hat-switches, program the game to use the Keys controls and use the up/down on the hat switch (mines the one on the throttle). I actually like this setup so much, I didn't change it for RAF planes, its still pretty easy to use, although you have to be finer with your touch in those birds.

For TrackIR, you shouldn't have to have the executable in the list, I simply use the default Smooth profile, crank it up and it works. You'll definitely want to check between TrackIR and the game because the controls for centering TrackIR, and toggling it, are set up for other controls in the game, which messes it up. I think the Steam interface might also use F-12 which might mess with this as well.

Last edited by cheesehawk; 11/03/11 11:58 PM.
#3425340 - 11/04/11 07:27 AM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
Goodwood Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Goodwood  Offline
Bit of a chowderhead
Veteran

Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Steam uses F12 for screenshots, so yes that is a factor.

LukeFF: Oleg got rid of his moustache! eek

akdavis: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
#3425428 - 11/04/11 11:57 AM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
Tallyman4 Offline
Tallyman4  Offline

England(Suffolk)
Thx guys--appreciate all the help--one more thing-- game runs fine on med settings but seems to be maxed to 30fps,and if I downgrade some items,still stays steady at 30....?
And my screen is too bright and no "Gamma" setting to darken it..anyone else feel same?...

#3425548 - 11/04/11 02:07 PM Re: Lotsa questions for you guys [Re: Tallyman4]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Sounds a bit weird, what are your hardware specs and OS?

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.