Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3415780 - 10/22/11 06:21 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Originally Posted By: Icarus1

Unfortunately COD had to be released before it was finished, but will have plenty of time to correct its faults before any competition reaches the market.

Agreed. It was released too early and anyone who is willing to shell out the money for an unfinished buggy game....have at it. I believe the thread is about those who are on the fence...ie.. not sure what its like. If you don't want a buggy unfinished game then wait. Its not finished yet and its buggy. If you don't mind the unfinished buggy state and just want to have fun and don't mind the hassle of an unfinished product then you should buy it.

Perhaps it will be finished in the future. I hope so. Thats when it comes off the shelf for me.

If people want the sim to be finished, it would be advisable to support it now. Buying now would give people the opportunity to enjoy many of the good aspects the sim, beta test new features, and enjoy the updates every few months. Waiting to support the sim, could mean the demise of the last developer making decent world war two aircombat sims. What is interesting is most in the community would have gladly paid to beta test the new series if given the opportunity. Unfortunately it wouldn't have been enough to keep the development viable. Hopefully the sim will survive to see the Eastern, Med, and Pacific theaters, maybe eventually a combined ops sim.

If this game is relying on people buying an unfinished product as goodwill to stay alive...it is definitely doomed. Thats the worst buisness plan I've ever heard of. I also doubt this to be true. Regardless, I think they are either commited or not at this point. My guess is they are still committed at this point.

I hope they fix this thing, because I think it would be a great sim if it was finished properly. And no I don't think people should fee obliged to pony up to encourage developers to continue working. It is not unreasonable to expect a finished product for their money, which they would not get if they buy now. If it gets fixed then they will sell more as word will get around that it is a great sim.

This obviously wasn't the business plan. It came down to either releasing whats been done or cancell the sim. Which would you have prefered?

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3415812 - 10/22/11 07:42 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: arjisme]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Arjisme,

Depending on your hardware specs, and what you hope for the game, there's no reason you can't enjoy it now. It is far more playable now than at release, with the behavior models of the planes and the CEM far superior to old 1946. FM's still need tweaking, and there's a ton of optimization still required, but there's actually a lot of good visible underneath the bugs and quirks in the current state. Sure its un-polished, but every patch gives us something to look forward to (and a few disappointments as well) which actually keeps me riveted to the development process. It's kind of like firing up a new game every few weeks/months, as you don't know quite what to expect.

That and some of the work coming out of the community for campaigns and online servers is quite good for the relatively new state of the game and lack of documentation. Learning to fly again in this sim is quite a joy (if you pick a plane or two that are less buggy), and to me at least, makes 1946 seem like a console arcade game. If development really does continue on this sim for a couple years, I have no doubt it will be an absolute gem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the developers are given enough time by the community, the public, and their financial backers to polish this to the state it should be.

#3415850 - 10/22/11 10:14 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
It came down to either releasing whats been done or cancell the sim. Which would you have prefered?

I would've preferred honesty.

Go the DCS:A-10 route, offer a beta version for a reduced price and start communicating honestly with the community to regain lost trust.

I still roll my eyes in disbelief when I think back to the "oh noes the anti-epilepsy filter suddenly broke our perfectly-working game!" hogwash...

Hardcore flightsims are a niche market. Their fans are passionate, sometimes certainly a bit too passionate for their own good, but most of us are extremely loyal towards those that create the vehicles for our imagination. You do not treat such fans the way 1c/Luthier has treated us with the release of CloD.

A great deal of bitterness stems from the feeling of having been lied to by someone you greatly respected in the past.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3415865 - 10/22/11 11:15 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Para_Bellum]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

So you have proof for any of your allegations??

If not your post is pretty senseless.

#3415881 - 10/22/11 12:38 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Proof of what?

That Luthier and the powers at 1c knew exactly that the release version (I'm talking about the euro release) was an unfinished product with a host of technical and gameplay problems that bordered on the unplayable? That they decided NOT to reveal the state the game was in before the actual release, despite repeated questions by the community regarding performance, FSAA, the campaign system, DX11, the weather system and various other issues? That they didn't tell the truth when the obvious performance problems of the Igromir demo was explained by the lack of RAM of the demo systems?

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3415897 - 10/22/11 01:13 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
dude163 Offline
Hotshot
dude163  Offline
Hotshot

riverview, NB, Canada
I like the new sound smile

XBL : DUDE163
PSN : DUDE163
http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverviewfoto/
http://dude163.blogspot.com (vintage lens foto blog)
#3415918 - 10/22/11 02:12 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
The current state for me is that it's awful! I had better framerates when it first came out and feel I have wasted my money as it is NOT the Battle of Britain with a couple of planes.

BoB2 Wings of Victory is the only worthwhile BoB and WW2 flight IMO and I'm sticking with that.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3415949 - 10/22/11 03:02 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
dude163 Offline
Hotshot
dude163  Offline
Hotshot

riverview, NB, Canada
Be careful Mace, the 1c faithful will be after you!

( Darlington eh? , Im from North Shields meself, cheers!)

XBL : DUDE163
PSN : DUDE163
http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverviewfoto/
http://dude163.blogspot.com (vintage lens foto blog)
#3415950 - 10/22/11 03:04 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

This obviously wasn't the business plan. It came down to either releasing whats been done or cancell the sim. Which would you have prefered?

Released at an unfinished price with a statement that it was unfinished or a WiP. Then pay more for add-ons or upgrades. Nowhere did 1C or Ubi acknowledge it was in this bad shape and charged full price. They hid that fact in their marketing. If they have messed up so badly that this is the only choice (wich I do not believe is so, I think it is an excuse) then it is a disgrace. Customers should expect a nearly finished product at a minimum, no matter what.

#3415954 - 10/22/11 03:10 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

Anyone who "wasted" their money on this sim wasn't paying attention. Not one person that I have played many hours of IL2 with ever bought CoD. The updates and back pedaling made it very obvious that this game was not going well. I drop by occasionally in hopes the game will become something worth owning, but have no real hopes it ever will.

#3415970 - 10/22/11 03:38 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Para_Bellum]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
A great deal of bitterness stems from the feeling of having been lied to by someone you greatly respected in the past.

And I have a lot of respect for you Para, but these posts do not respect what simhp is about and does not respect the original poster. We claim that posting our thoughts on games and sims are helpful, but having to sift through all these off topic comments is frustrating.

If this was a thread I started and it got binned I'd be pissed.

Simulations will come and go but at SimHQ we are brothers forever!!!!!! lol

#3416076 - 10/22/11 06:24 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Well, regarding "support the devs with you money or see this one lost to the ages" line of thinking:

Your money does not directly support the Developers. You guys know that, right?

Your money goes to Ubisoft, and they decide if 1c gets it, or if they cut-bait and move on to another title, cash in hand.

Your support is indirect. The title is still very much in the hands of Ubisoft.

*when it takes 7 years to launch your title, is it really fair to say it was launched "early"?

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3416125 - 10/22/11 07:47 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: arjisme]  
Tell Offline
Tell  Offline

Are there still people who assume that a substantial part of the purchase price will go toward development of COD?

#3416141 - 10/22/11 08:06 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Your money does not directly support the Developers. You guys know that, right?

Your money goes to Ubisoft, and they decide if 1c gets it, or if they cut-bait and move on to another title, cash in hand.

Your support is indirect. The title is still very much in the hands of Ubisoft.

So then how will the devs continue to do development on this sim if the cash flow is so suspect? Are they sitting on a pot of gold? What is the plan that will ensure they will be working on this thing for the next, say, 2-years?

#3416199 - 10/22/11 10:16 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

I am pretty shure that MG gets a share of each sale.

#3416210 - 10/22/11 10:40 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Tell Offline
Tell  Offline

Even if MG does get some portion of the purchase price (speculation) there is no assurance COD is "fixable" at any price. The failure to achieve fsaa since release should make potential customers wary.

#3416262 - 10/23/11 12:47 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Of course the publishers will get a lions portion of sales as they where the ones fronting the money, and sales will dictate wether or not the developers will stay in business. Constantly trashing the sim, driving away sales, while still hoping that COD will get finished is the real joke here.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3416337 - 10/23/11 03:06 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Of course the publishers will get a lions portion of sales as they where the ones fronting the money, and sales will dictate wether or not the developers will stay in business.

Then its doomed.

#3416445 - 10/23/11 09:09 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

I really don't understand this fixation on fsaa???

Thats only eye-candy, having nothing to do with the simulation part.

A "nice to have" but not really important. When i fly towards england (1920x1080), i really dont see any jagged lines searching for contacts, there are other priorities.

I admit, its nice for movies and screenshots, but that is not why i have the sim.

#3416456 - 10/23/11 09:41 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Of course the publishers will get a lions portion of sales as they where the ones fronting the money, and sales will dictate wether or not the developers will stay in business. Constantly trashing the sim, driving away sales, while still hoping that COD will get finished is the real joke here.

This game would not be getting trashed if it had been a finished product. As far a sales goes, it looks like COD
has really shot its bolt. Where is the buying public supposed to go to find it now? Is it in Best Buy, Walmarts,
Gamestop ? It does not look to me like there was ever a serious advertising campaign. I am guessing to only thing
keeping Luthier and his team working on patches is the fact that Russian software devs/programmers work for a lot less money than Americans. Even so at some point the funds will dry up.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.