Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3415198 - 10/21/11 03:50 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
+2

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3415242 - 10/21/11 04:52 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: bisher]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: bisher
Icarus stop lecturing us please smile

I was quoted and I replied.

Ignore me if my post upsets you. Have a nice day smile

#3415267 - 10/21/11 05:10 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

I see, there are quite a few RoF fanbois here in the CoD forum, trying to convert the lost souls to the one and only deity.

Fyi, RoF has 1 (one) relative amall Map! There wont be another one, afaik.

The number of objects and planes possible, in a playable CoD online map, would crash any RoF server instantly.

The price for RoF with 18 planes to reduced prices is higher then the price for CoD with 20 planes and hundreds of ground objects.

CoD will be expanded with new maps and planes, in RoF you only get planes.

I still have to find a RoF game where bombers are not only fighter-fodder.

As this is the CoD forum, please keep the foreign trash out biggrin biggrin biggrin

#3415279 - 10/21/11 05:25 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Well, I have both games.. They each have me coming back for more on a regular basis, that speaks for itself, they both have qualities that I am enjoying.
Why is it though that some people cannot enjoy both? Is that not allowed?
I really wish this childish bashing of other games would stop, its starting to resemble a playground, not a group of adults with the same passion for aviation..

#3415281 - 10/21/11 05:25 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Its not unplayable if you have a beefy rig, but there are a lot of issues left unfixed/unfinished at this time. It still has not had an official patch since the buggy unfinished release in NA (only beta patches). The next patch should be an indication where this is going. If it fixes some of the major issues there is hope for an excellent WWII sim in the future. If it breaks more than it fixes this sim IMO is doomed. Either way it appears it will take quite a while to get it finished.

Given the titles crash and burn at launch, 1.5 star rating on Amazon, and a dev team already worn down to the bone, I'd say it's been doomed for a while. The final bullet in it's head will be when 777 decides they want to do WWII.

Think about it, if Rise of Flight were a WWII game focused on the BoB, would any of you be playing CloD?

Didn't think so. CloD is only still with us because it gets to enjoy not having any direct competition.

PS: RoF doesn't use steam wink

ROF was also not very good when it was first released, and it wasn't much better six months later. Now it has developed into a decent sim. COD will also improve over the next year. ROF could very well develop a WW2 aircombat sim, but I don't see that happening for many years, and in that time COD should have the game engine faults sorted and their next theater released. I'd like to see COD have some competition, but don't see any competitors in the near future.

RoF was no where near the unfinished garbage CoD was on release and it recieved WAYYYY better reviews. Give me a break, this sim is rewriting the FM, sound, and graphics from scratch after its delayed US release. Massive Fail!

CoD is going to take much longer to fix than RoF which is why CoD is likely doomed. This is the worst sim I have ever bought in terms of broken software and I have most of them. Don't get me wrong, I want this fixed, but there is just too much wrong with it to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

As for compettion. What AgressorBLUE states is true, if CoD had competition no one would bother with this unfinished software In the mean time Keeners will beat the dead horse and the rest of us will shelve it for the time if and when it is ever something resembling a finished software. Right now it is broken unfinished software.

I see what you are writing, but i know different!

I have RoF since it was published, it couldn't compare to 1946 then and the reviews were only positive because the community was very hungry for a new wwi flight-sim!

CoD had already a competitor in its own house and received a, only partly earned, trashing because of that.

CoD might take a bit longer to fix, as it has more contend its understandable, but i am pretty shure the next official patch will bring it to the well deserved top position.

I, for my part, have much fun online with this "broken, unfinished software"! With up to 80 players on a server, btw biggrin

Have fun with your wood and canvas toys, but don't try to denigrate CoD.

Last edited by robtek; 10/21/11 05:26 PM.
#3415334 - 10/21/11 06:28 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Its not unplayable if you have a beefy rig, but there are a lot of issues left unfixed/unfinished at this time. It still has not had an official patch since the buggy unfinished release in NA (only beta patches). The next patch should be an indication where this is going. If it fixes some of the major issues there is hope for an excellent WWII sim in the future. If it breaks more than it fixes this sim IMO is doomed. Either way it appears it will take quite a while to get it finished.

Given the titles crash and burn at launch, 1.5 star rating on Amazon, and a dev team already worn down to the bone, I'd say it's been doomed for a while. The final bullet in it's head will be when 777 decides they want to do WWII.

Think about it, if Rise of Flight were a WWII game focused on the BoB, would any of you be playing CloD?

Didn't think so. CloD is only still with us because it gets to enjoy not having any direct competition.

PS: RoF doesn't use steam wink

ROF was also not very good when it was first released, and it wasn't much better six months later. Now it has developed into a decent sim. COD will also improve over the next year. ROF could very well develop a WW2 aircombat sim, but I don't see that happening for many years, and in that time COD should have the game engine faults sorted and their next theater released. I'd like to see COD have some competition, but don't see any competitors in the near future.

RoF was no where near the unfinished garbage CoD was on release and it recieved WAYYYY better reviews. Give me a break, this sim is rewriting the FM, sound, and graphics from scratch after its delayed US release. Massive Fail!

CoD is going to take much longer to fix than RoF which is why CoD is likely doomed. This is the worst sim I have ever bought in terms of broken software and I have most of them. Don't get me wrong, I want this fixed, but there is just too much wrong with it to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

As for compettion. What AgressorBLUE states is true, if CoD had competition no one would bother with this unfinished software In the mean time Keeners will beat the dead horse and the rest of us will shelve it for the time if and when it is ever something resembling a finished software. Right now it is broken unfinished software.

COD has no competition for the forseeable future. ROF software works very well on its small map with few objects with far less technical variables. I have no idea how well the software would work with all the detail in the COD inviroment. There is more detail in London alone as there is on the whole ROF map.

Unfortunately COD had to be released before it was finished, but will have plenty of time to correct its faults before any competition reaches the market. ROF will definitely have to do something as all they can sell now are aircraft while the new IL-2 series business model will have many theaters to develop. WW1 doesn't have that luxury. In that respect we could see a WW2 sim from them in a few years so they can stay in business. Time will tell how well their game engine can handle the complexity. Although I suppose they could sell other features that could enhance the WW1 ROF experience, like moving weather patterns etc.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3415351 - 10/21/11 06:50 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Trooper117]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
Well, I have both games.. They each have me coming back for more on a regular basis, that speaks for itself, they both have qualities that I am enjoying.
Why is it though that some people cannot enjoy both? Is that not allowed?
I really wish this childish bashing of other games would stop, its starting to resemble a playground, not a group of adults with the same passion for aviation..

+1

#3415352 - 10/21/11 06:50 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: robtek]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: robtek

Have fun with your wood and canvas toys, but don't try to denigrate CoD.

Have fun with your broken unfinished game. To each his own.

Also, I am not denigrating, I'm just not locked into flying a broken unfinished game and pretending it is great, so I don't. I wish CoD was better than it is, but its not, at least yet. So its on the shelf until they fix it. Perhaps the next patch months from now will change that, I hope. We'll see.

#3415372 - 10/21/11 07:13 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada

Have fun with your broken unfinished game. To each his own.

Yes you do seem very much at ease that some may enjoy this game wink

#3415374 - 10/21/11 07:17 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: robtek]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX
I see, there are quite a few RoF fanbois here in the CoD forum, trying to convert the lost souls to the one and only deity.

My response to your previous post had nothing to do with converting anyone to RoF. I hardly care whether you fly it or not. It's great that you love CoD and any other flight sim you also enjoy.

My point was that your logic in that previous posting was poor. And also somewhat misinformed (wrt RoF). You didn't bother to answer the questions I asked you, but that's OK.

Quote:
Fyi, RoF has 1 (one) relative amall Map! There wont be another one, afaik.

What does map size have to do with anything? It covers most of the Western Front. How big does it need to be? In the end, we are trying to simulate combat operations for the period being simulated. Flights are rarely over 2 hours and, more typically, around 1 hour. You are going very fast to go 200mph in WW1. Again, how big does the map really need to be?

Quote:
The number of objects and planes possible, in a playable CoD online map, would crash any RoF server instantly.

This obsession with "bigness" and "most"... Almost like it is necessary to compensate for a lack elsewhere? The question isn't who has the biggest, most toys but can you create an immersive, enjoyable simulation of combat operations in the chosen period. RoF has room for improvement, of course, but there are plenty of folks enjoying it both online and offline.

Quote:
The price for RoF with 18 planes to reduced prices is higher then the price for CoD with 20 planes and hundreds of ground objects.

OK. Mortal blow. RoF will not meet the needs of those who expect to be entertained every night for at least a year at something under $60 annually.

Quote:
CoD will be expanded with new maps and planes, in RoF you only get planes.

Speculation really. It's true until it isn't. I admire CoD if it gives away Battle over Moscow, Battle over Italy and Battle over North Africa. If they can iron out all the current problems, I will certainly be giving it a go!

Quote:
I still have to find a RoF game where bombers are not only fighter-fodder.

You have clearly not flown RoF recently. Good luck against the Bristol. And, generally speaking, good luck against any aircraft with gunner positions. You can shoot them down, but you stand a great chance of exiting that fight damaged and/or wounded.

Quote:
As this is the CoD forum, please keep the foreign trash out biggrin biggrin biggrin

Genuinely pathetic of you. This is not a smack down, it's not a contest where only one flight sim can "win." If you are here because you believe CoD is the "best" available flight sim, I'm happy for you. I don't get the obsession with declaring one best and all others trash.

#3415391 - 10/21/11 07:34 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Here we go.

Just for the record, my dad is much bigger than your dad, plus has more accurate aerodynamic modelling.

The next post that doesn't talk explicitly about the current state of CloD (I heard is was about 1.2Gb?) gets binned. Trooper is exactly right, and people are obviously getting a lot of use out of it still, i.e. whining on forums about how much exactly they don't play it, how often they have to reach into and out of their bin to put it in and out etc.

#3415440 - 10/21/11 08:31 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Fearless you're a real downer......man j/k

The current state of this sim is Texas, just so I don't get binned wink

Seriously I am able to enjoy this sim much more since the last patch, I've found, and this is only my opinion, that missions that are simple with low aircraft numbers are a blast

I'm really looking forward to the next patch and hope the comms get sorted out, I want to be vectored to the nearest friendly airfield.

Last edited by bisher; 10/21/11 08:37 PM.
#3415485 - 10/21/11 09:35 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: FearlessFrog]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Here we go.

Just for the record, my dad is much bigger than your dad, plus has more accurate aerodynamic modelling.

The next post that doesn't talk explicitly about the current state of CloD (I heard is was about 1.2Gb?) gets binned. Trooper is exactly right, and people are obviously getting a lot of use out of it still, i.e. whining on forums about how much exactly they don't play it, how often they have to reach into and out of their bin to put it in and out etc.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to start a holy war frown. Sorry I posted my thoughts on that in this thread.

As far as the current state?

If someone were to ask me if now was a good time purchase the title, I would still say "no." There's still many things that need work. I want to like this title, but every time I try to play it, it spits me back out bruised and beaten. Once in a while I get a glimmer of what this title can become, such as when I'm diving into a bomber formation over the Channel, but then when it comes time to fly home, the stutters pop back up, the frame rate drops, or the title crashes.

For me, in it's current state, CloD = Frustration > Enjoyment. I want this title to be great, I really do. And I'll continue to check back in with CloD with every official patch, hoping that maybe this is the one.

Now, before I get binned for being a whiner, I'll point out that providing feedback helps someone on the fence of purchase, or re-investing time getting the title working, decide if it's worth it.

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 10/21/11 09:43 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3415505 - 10/21/11 10:00 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

You can moan all you like AggressorBLUE, that's not what I meant - I just don't want the thread to turn into some sort of Minesweeper vs Solitaire game comparison - we've done the RoF vs CloD thing to death about 10 times already. It always ends badly as people on both sides care deeply about which is 'best'.

PS Minesweeper sucks.

#3415558 - 10/21/11 10:58 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Unfortunately COD had to be released before it was finished, but will have plenty of time to correct its faults before any competition reaches the market.

Agreed. It was released too early and anyone who is willing to shell out the money for an unfinished buggy game....have at it. I believe the thread is about those who are on the fence...ie.. not sure what its like. If you don't want a buggy unfinished game then wait. Its not finished yet and its buggy. If you don't mind the unfinished buggy state and just want to have fun and don't mind the hassle of an unfinished product then you should buy it.

Perhaps it will be finished in the future. I hope so. Thats when it comes off the shelf for me.

#3415630 - 10/22/11 12:54 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

Unfortunately COD had to be released before it was finished, but will have plenty of time to correct its faults before any competition reaches the market.

Agreed. It was released too early and anyone who is willing to shell out the money for an unfinished buggy game....have at it. I believe the thread is about those who are on the fence...ie.. not sure what its like. If you don't want a buggy unfinished game then wait. Its not finished yet and its buggy. If you don't mind the unfinished buggy state and just want to have fun and don't mind the hassle of an unfinished product then you should buy it.

Perhaps it will be finished in the future. I hope so. Thats when it comes off the shelf for me.

If people want the sim to be finished, it would be advisable to support it now. Buying now would give people the opportunity to enjoy many of the good aspects the sim, beta test new features, and enjoy the updates every few months. Waiting to support the sim, could mean the demise of the last developer making decent world war two aircombat sims. What is interesting is most in the community would have gladly paid to beta test the new series if given the opportunity. Unfortunately it wouldn't have been enough to keep the development viable. Hopefully the sim will survive to see the Eastern, Med, and Pacific theaters, maybe eventually a combined ops sim.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3415633 - 10/22/11 12:57 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Yep!!

Support or suffer the consequences!

#3415657 - 10/22/11 01:28 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

If people want the sim to be finished, it would be advisable to support it now. Buying now would give people the opportunity to enjoy many of the good aspects the sim, beta test new features, and enjoy the updates every few months. Waiting to support the sim, could mean the demise of the last developer making decent world war two aircombat sims. What is interesting is most in the community would have gladly paid to beta test the new series if given the opportunity. Unfortunately it wouldn't have been enough to keep the development viable. Hopefully the sim will survive to see the Eastern, Med, and Pacific theaters, maybe eventually a combined ops sim.

If this game is relying on people buying an unfinished product as goodwill to stay alive...it is definitely doomed. Thats the worst buisness plan I've ever heard of. I also doubt this to be true. Regardless, I think they are either commited or not at this point. My guess is they are still committed at this point.

I hope they fix this thing, because I think it would be a great sim if it was finished properly. And no I don't think people should fee obliged to pony up to encourage developers to continue working. It is not unreasonable to expect a finished product for their money, which they would not get if they buy now. If it gets fixed then they will sell more as word will get around that it is a great sim.

#3415659 - 10/22/11 01:31 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest

It is not unreasonable to expect a finished product for their money

Yep.
No matter how much you want the sim world to keep on going and succeed, you can't argue with the above statement.

Last edited by Gambit21; 10/22/11 06:26 AM.
#3415668 - 10/22/11 01:48 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: robtek]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX
CoD will be expanded with new maps and planes

Yep!!

Support or suffer the consequences!

Well, which is it robtek? You had assured me that CoD would be expanded without the need for ongoing cash flow. confused

No need to answer, actually. Of course they need the support. What sim maker can build new things for us to enjoy without having the support of the community, particularly in the form of cash? Anyone interested in this genre of gaming should be glad to infuse a little cash to the developers. We only benefit from what they can produce as a result.

I'm considering buying a copy even now for this very purpose. Checked on Amazon. They list it at $49.99. Imagine that! Right in the neighborhood I suggested earlier it probably would be. biggrin

Edit: Done. I just contributed to the keep CoD alive and improve it to the point of awesomeness fund. Don't expect to be flying it much near term, but consider it an investment in, hopefully, some future fun.

Last edited by arjisme; 10/22/11 01:57 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.