Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3410644 - 10/15/11 09:32 AM Co-op campaign?  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Tried to find info on this on the official site and here but is there going to be a co-op dynamic campaign like in Falcon 4?

The site just says co-op multiplayer where one can be pilot and a buddy gunner but no mention of being able to do that in a campaign.

I'll be keeping an eye on this for the pre-paid beta. This is a great idea as DCS: A-10 has shown.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3410656 - 10/15/11 10:42 AM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Operation Ouroborus (why couldn't we pick something I can spell?) is a fully dynamic game loosely based on work published by physicist Sean Gourley on the mathematics of war and rules of insurgency. As a system it scales from the size of a shoebox to whole nations. Multi-player is something you can use or not, the local game is running regardless of your host status or even if you've backed out to the main menu. The game core once launched is always ticking away unless paused (we may have to pause for client hot joins). So yes you'll be able to fly solo or with friends and change at any time. We won't be able to handle server migration (not without some effort).

Every flight will effect the game, and quite possibly even a single kill might flip a zone for or against your efforts (cow kills won't count).

The Prologue (paybeta) won't have a campaign, just a set of challenges and whatever else we have time to add as we roll out. You get a chance to support the completion effort and help us improve our game.

You'll see a roadmap and more details when we post on the web-site.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#3410728 - 10/15/11 01:59 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Drool...

#3410749 - 10/15/11 02:34 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: Flexman]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Flexman
(cow kills won't count).
hahaha ROTFLMAO
Richard, what is harder for you to do-all avionics and targeting systems,or artificial intelligence and dynamic campaign?

#3410781 - 10/15/11 03:45 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
I'll let you know what was hardest to do when finished.

Bulk of the avionics is all done, definitely the hardest part so far.

A major pain in the butt has been the 3D engine limiting what we could do, but it also enabled us to do more things in other areas. It certainly hit all the right buttons for a game with the same scope as Longbow 2 and that's all I could ask for and all we can achieve with what we have. That was a case of playing to the strengths and living with weaknesses. We have to start small because we're just 2.5 3 people with no budget to speak of.

The campaign for me IS the game and since I put it together (unlike the Apache which was designed by very smart elves at Boeing) it's a lot easier to follow. A really interesting exercise would be collecting progression data from players and charting the COIN against their strategies. There could be some very interesting ways to achieve the overall goal.

#3410782 - 10/15/11 03:48 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
There's 3 people working on this project, not 2.5. That number makes no sense whatsoever.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3410784 - 10/15/11 03:53 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
OK, I didn't realise it was an integer.

#3410803 - 10/15/11 04:19 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Maybe Fred is a dwarf. Either way it's politically incorrect.

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3410840 - 10/15/11 05:12 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Compared to you two I'm tiny. You're like a basketball player, Fred is a giant, I'm 5ft 9"

#3410871 - 10/15/11 06:05 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

Its only joke, nvm

Last edited by BANITA; 10/15/11 07:16 PM.
#3410893 - 10/15/11 06:34 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Whuh? Can we start this thread again? I think it went off the rails Porkchop Sandwiches style.

#3410954 - 10/15/11 09:13 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: Flexman]  
gO_oSe Offline
gO_oSe  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flexman
Operation Ouroborus (why couldn't we pick something I can spell?) is a fully dynamic game loosely based on work published by physicist Sean Gourley on the mathematics of war and rules of insurgency. As a system it scales from the size of a shoebox to whole nations. Multi-player is something you can use or not, the local game is running regardless of your host status or even if you've backed out to the main menu. The game core once launched is always ticking away unless paused (we may have to pause for client hot joins). So yes you'll be able to fly solo or with friends and change at any time. We won't be able to handle server migration (not without some effort).

Every flight will effect the game, and quite possibly even a single kill might flip a zone for or against your efforts (cow kills won't count).

The Prologue (paybeta) won't have a campaign, just a set of challenges and whatever else we have time to add as we roll out. You get a chance to support the completion effort and help us improve our game.

You'll see a roadmap and more details when we post on the web-site.

Hello Flex,

just a few questions before to finish my bottle of wine :

- That's means a dedicated server will not planned for the online coop campaign ?

- How many people will allowed to be connected in the same time for this ? (Leadwerks bandwidth limitation ?)

As usual, i beg your pardon my poor english ...

Best regards for the Tricubic team !

PS : Have a nice day ? :P

#3411287 - 10/16/11 01:05 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: gO_oSe]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Originally Posted By: gO_oSe

Hello Flex,

just a few questions before to finish my bottle of wine :

- That's means a dedicated server will not planned for the online coop campaign ?

- How many people will allowed to be connected in the same time for this ? (Leadwerks bandwidth limitation ?)

As usual, i beg your pardon my poor english ...

Best regards for the Tricubic team !

PS : Have a nice day ? :P

- You are correct, a dedicated server is not required for co-op multiplayer. I've programmed a client/server architecture. Internally the Apache is a host and crewmen are considered clients.

- We are using Raknet for the multi-player layer, not Leadwerks. Raknet is used in many PC and console games. Tried, tested and easy to use. I don't know how many clients could be supported until we do some stress testing there.

I will probably clamp it to an arbitrary number that would ensure a good player experience and add a command line override for those that want to get around it, at their own risk. It's not meant to be a huge multiplayer experience, a shared one with 2 to 4 players for a typical session but it might stretch to 8 or more, the arrangement of players make a big difference to my computed bandwidth. Individual Apaches vs crewed Apaches is a big difference due to the state information that needs to be transferred. See how it goes.

Regards to all @CheckSix

#3411567 - 10/16/11 10:29 PM Re: Co-op campaign? [Re: WynnTTr]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Thanks Flexman. This is sounding really good. Too good in fact and I hope that it delivers on the dynamic campaign aspect. Of course I'm not going to complain (we're getting the Apache!) if there are problems with the dynamic campaign, they're notoriously difficult to program.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.