Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3405319 - 10/07/11 03:15 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
This is what was done to one of the iconic images of the 20th century.

I am confident, that given the chance some people would edit the cigarette out of Humphry Bogart's mouth too.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3405329 - 10/07/11 03:43 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: WileECoyote]  
The Nephilim Offline
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Offline
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
I have to agree with Li'lJugs here. Let's see if my English is up to the task as to explaining why (it won't but... smile )

One thing is you respect others, don't smoke in front of them or whatever, but:

a) You can't ban things because you don't like them.
b) You can't ban things that are bad for health, because you should ban pretty much everything, from Coke to fried chicken, from sloppy manufactured shoes to mayonnaise... Damn, I fell off the f* stair the other day, we should ban them!
c) We smokers get pissed off because you see the wrong aspects of things at your convenience. It's like you have a fixation with this. Lots and lots of people do harm to other on their normal lives... It's just the way it is and we can't (and maybe shouldn't) change it. I have a bet for you guys, I'll seat in my chair here and smoke one after the other for a hour, and you are going to seat in your garage with your car, engine on... And we'll see what's worse. Not even vegetarians are free of guilt these days... with all the chemicals we use to achieve the AMAZING crops that the human race is achieving. I live in an area where we have acid rain and poisoned rivers. The crops? Oh fantastic, of course.

Lots of really stupid things have been done because of this "healthy" trend. Like ban episodes of Bugs Bunny because he was smoking... It's a freaking cartoon! No kind ever started smoking because of this, never ever. Even worse, in in Argentina the taxes applied to cigarettes have been raised with this excuse... They even banned cigarettes commercials from public places... At some point, we just feel segregated, like we are the new black people. Hell, they'll ban us from college one of these days.

The "live and let live" mantra should be enforced here. Live your life, die old and happy and healthy (although if you die... well, you're not so healthy after all smile ), I'll live mine, and die probably young and happy too. And if not, well, it's my life.

a. Things are banned all the time...
b. well it is the thing that If I eat at mcdonalds the only health I am effecting is myself. If we are in a room together and you are Smoking BOTH are healths are at risk see the difference..
c. Sure and I guess you woulkd want me to sit in a gas chabmer for an hour as well? really no comparison.. But heck I was a welder and a smoker so Glad I quite BOTH!! if you wanna sit in YOUR house Smoking your brains out fine by me Ill sit here in my chair just breathing..
d. I got a game you can play it is called russian roulette why not do that but hey isnt that banned too??

Last edited by The Nephilim; 10/07/11 03:44 AM.

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#3405335 - 10/07/11 04:08 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Bulletstop Offline
Bulletstop  Offline

Littleton, Co
Want to hear irony, I quit smoking because my wife and son has Asthma, he now smokes, what a dumbass. I have to say I do not miss smoking, in fact I hate the smell of it and it really bothers me to be around it, with that said I also believe it is your right to smoke. I just do not like it by me.

Bullet

Specs
home built I7 870 Lynnfield Chip at stock speed 2.93 with Evga P55FTW system board, A BFG GTX275 Vid card, 4Gigs Corsair Dominator Mem 2600+, 1.3 TB on 2 WD Hard drives, Corsair H50 water cooler.X-65F with peddals and Tir 4 track clip pro One badass machine...
A truism "liberals, who believe that everyone should categorically agree with them because their theoretical positions are "a higher truth" than the positions of any person out there living in and interacting with the real world."
#3405341 - 10/07/11 04:20 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
I quit smoking because I always knew it was'nt any good for me, as I got older I did'nt have the wind to spare and I didnt like the idea of having no control over my cravings.

But. Unless I am feeding you or sleeping with you, I don't like the idea of telling adults what they should and should not be doing with their lives.

#3405358 - 10/07/11 05:03 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
In other news Denmark passes a tax on "Saturated fat". The price of butter goes up ~$1/lb, other foods proportionally to their fat content. And no, that's not a joke.

You'll have to buy carbon credits with each can of beans soon enough.

Wasn't "Bureaucracy" the ninth circle of hell?

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#3405405 - 10/07/11 07:58 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: WileECoyote]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
I have to agree with Li'lJugs here. Let's see if my English is up to the task as to explaining why (it won't but... smile )

One thing is you respect others, don't smoke in front of them or whatever, but:

a) You can't ban things because you don't like them.
b) You can't ban things that are bad for health, because you should ban pretty much everything, from Coke to fried chicken, from sloppy manufactured shoes to mayonnaise... Damn, I fell off the f* stair the other day, we should ban them!

So when your kid turns 18 or 21 or whatever and takes up heroin... you'll be real quiet?

#3405408 - 10/07/11 08:21 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
KublaKhan Offline
KublaKhan  Offline

KY - USA
Let's ban beer and alcohol too. I don't like the smell and I could die if someone drinks and drives.

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun-Tzu
#3405415 - 10/07/11 08:37 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Corktip 14 Offline
Corktip 14  Offline

Belgium
Why do I smoke? Because I just love it! Everything's a matter of taste, and that's it. Otherwise, why would you eat/drink things that are good, instead of some tasteless food that will give you all the elements your body need to be fit? Because you like it. Why do you wear clothes you find cool, instead of simple generic colorless and shapeless garments that would protect you as well as any other garment? Because you like it. This can go on forever, and with everything. Remember guys, "beauty" (note the big " " here!) is in the eye of the customer.

Now, I fully understand people who don't like the smell of it, and are concerned by their healt. But if you want to be concerned by your health, there's so much other things of your everyday life that are at least as nefast as cigarettes, but no one is concerned about it. That's a bit of an hypocrisis, to me. And on another note, I think tolerance is the main word. And common sense... Smokers should understand that some people don't like it at all, and should be mature enough not to smoke juste beside them and respect their opinions. And non smokers should understand that smoking has been present for hundreds of year, and that it won't go away juste because they don't like it. If they were really THAT concerned about their health, there's LOT of more importants things they should care about before pissing the smokers off.

Murphy's Law says, "Whatever can go wrong, will, and when you least expect it."
(And, of course, we all know that Murphy was an aviator.)

*aka Flying-V*
#3405427 - 10/07/11 09:03 AM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
I'm addicted to this crap too (real cigars), but we, smokers, got to respect those who won't smoke, if it's not allowed i respect that and no smoke, i have plenty of time to kill myself. In portugal it's completly forbid smoke inside restaurants, shoppings, and all (closed) public places and it was a good decision imo. I love healthy air after all screwy

Cheers

#3405491 - 10/07/11 01:10 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Husar Offline
Husar  Offline

NRW, Germany
The OP looks like a serious case of withdrawal symptoms, you call it freedom but in reality your brain is a slave of the nicotine. pitchafit wink

I usually don't mind what people choose to get addicted to but I do hate the smoke, especially in situations where it's hard to avoid. I mean I try not to fart in peoples' faces either. wink

#3405498 - 10/07/11 01:24 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
i don't get why people smoke in the first place, does you absolutely no good, gives you cancer, costs money, makes you smell like crap

I'd say it's peer pressure. I would think that most smokers started when when they were teenagers and that's when peer pressure is usually its strongest.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/07/11 01:26 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3405508 - 10/07/11 01:57 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Lieuwe Offline
Lieuwe  Offline

If you are worried about second hand smoke you should read up on how much damage exhaust gasses from combustion engines can do! Your probably breathing in a whole lot more of that stuff each day.

#3405511 - 10/07/11 01:58 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
Lil' Jugs - "Here's a *flash* for all you Euphorians"

You a Garage Logician too?

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#3405534 - 10/07/11 02:34 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
fatty Offline
fatty  Offline

Brussels, Belgium
I was travelling last year for a conference, and got stuck with a smoking room. I didn't realize such a thing still existed in the western hemisphere. It was pretty disgusting and I'm not sure the smell is gone from my clothes yet. Call me a "liberal fascist ass" but I'm glad these rooms are on their way out smile

"...for who are so free as the sons of the waves?"
#3405539 - 10/07/11 02:42 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I for one am glad it is illegal to smoke in hotel rooms and other places... You are free to smoke but show a little curtsy to those of us who don't.

My brother's wife is allergic to cigarette smoke. It is actually a pretty common thing. Her face swells up and her throat swells shut just by being next to someone who smoked hours ago. There are tons of inconsiderate bastards out there who think it is funny when you tell them "please dont smoke here my friend has health problems."

For some reason they just dont get it through their head that what they are doing is extremely dangerous to a large group of people out there.

#3405616 - 10/07/11 04:20 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Corktip 14]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Originally Posted By: Corktip 14

Now, I fully understand people who don't like the smell of it, and are concerned by their healt. But if you want to be concerned by your health, there's so much other things of your everyday life that are at least as nefast as cigarettes, but no one is concerned about it. That's a bit of an hypocrisis, to me. And on another note, I think tolerance is the main word. And common sense... Smokers should understand that some people don't like it at all, and should be mature enough not to smoke juste beside them and respect their opinions. And non smokers should understand that smoking has been present for hundreds of year, and that it won't go away juste because they don't like it. If they were really THAT concerned about their health, there's LOT of more importants things they should care about before pissing the smokers off.

That's exactly my point. Somkers tend to disrespect non-smokers, and non-smokers tend to be worried about OTHER people's lives without looking at their own.

Also, one things that I don't like about laws that "deal" with this thing. If I'm the owner of a hotel, I should be able to do whatever I like, it's my business, I pay for everything there. I you don't like the rooms, go somewhere else. I would then, start to loose money and go bankruptcy. Period. But it's *MY* business.

Free of choice, just that simple.

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#3405633 - 10/07/11 04:53 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: WileECoyote]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
That's exactly my point. Somkers tend to disrespect non-smokers, and non-smokers tend to be worried about OTHER people's lives without looking at their own.

Also, one things that I don't like about laws that "deal" with this thing. If I'm the owner of a hotel, I should be able to do whatever I like, it's my business, I pay for everything there. I you don't like the rooms, go somewhere else. I would then, start to loose money and go bankruptcy. Period. But it's *MY* business.

Free of choice, just that simple.

I definitely see your point, and used to feel the same way about the person who owns the hotel/bar/etc., but then someone pointed out to me that it is for providing the employees with a safe place to work, not just the customers.

The law was never (technically, anyway) about telling people whether they could smoke or not, it was about protecting those who chose not to smoke from the effects of those who did. I doubt any smoker would be happy about their employer allowing mercury vapor into their workspace, and just saying it's the owner's business and they are free to do whatever they want, and if the employees don't like it they can go work elsewhere. It would be different if the nature of the work itself was dangerous, like repairing powerlines, etc., but cleaning and maintaining hotel rooms isn't in and of itself dangerous.

I know that some of the chemicals involved in cleaning can be dangerous, but those are regulated and controlled, and employers have to provide the proper equipment and environment so they can be used safely, so in that sense the smoking law is essentially handling smoking in the same way.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3405676 - 10/07/11 05:59 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Li'lJugs]  
SeaAce Offline
SeaAce  Offline

Muscle Shoals Alabama
Don't smoke,never did,still this creeping BIG BROTHER thing is bad.Like what Denmark is doing,yeah it's for your on good,we make the choices for you because we know better than you what you should do.

Yeah it's easy to single out smokers cause they smell bad,they will cost the government heath system money so go get them.Problem is it never stopped,there is always something else,some other group doing something to offend someone.

Fat people,you better watch your step cause you are easy to spot.When they put you on the scales and then tell you you will eat what they say or else no health insurance,then your employer looks at you and says can't take the chance with you in the shape you're in you gotta go.

And on a side note I read where some hospital will no longer hire smokers.If they have the right to do that why shouldn't a private property owner be able to hire smokers only to work for him and rent to smokers only?

Be careful what you wish for,you just might get it.

#3405724 - 10/07/11 07:19 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: SeaAce]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Originally Posted By: SeaAce
Don't smoke,never did,still this creeping BIG BROTHER thing is bad.Like what Denmark is doing,yeah it's for your on good,we make the choices for you because we know better than you what you should do.

Yeah it's easy to single out smokers cause they smell bad,they will cost the government heath system money so go get them.Problem is it never stopped,there is always something else,some other group doing something to offend someone.

Fat people,you better watch your step cause you are easy to spot.When they put you on the scales and then tell you you will eat what they say or else no health insurance,then your employer looks at you and says can't take the chance with you in the shape you're in you gotta go.

And on a side note I read where some hospital will no longer hire smokers.If they have the right to do that why shouldn't a private property owner be able to hire smokers only to work for him and rent to smokers only?

Be careful what you wish for,you just might get it.

This is exactly what is happening, demonizing some sector of the society and attempting to control their choices for their own good.

Cigarettes went from being ubiquitous in my childhood to totally stigmatized today. It is a health risk to the smoker no question about it. But the latest round of laws, prohibiting smoking altogether in bars and the rest is too much IMHO. I am not sure if I could light up in my own apartment honestly.

I worked behind a bar for years as a non-smoker and it never bothered me that others were smoking. However, some people complained about smoking on the other side of the building two dozen yards away or more, despite fans and smoke eaters in the smoking area. I am just not as convinced by the second hand smoke issue as so many others are. But that is not an argument I care to get into. A non smoker arguing for smokers is a pretty lonely place to be.

But be sure, being over weight (obese) is next.

#3405745 - 10/07/11 08:18 PM Re: Electronic "cigarettes" are a piss poor substitute for the real thing [Re: Master]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Master
show a little curtsy to those of us who don't...

A Curtsy is considered a bow by a lady in square dancing terms.. wink

It's a Game. smile
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.