Hop To
#3404744 - 10/06/11 01:21 PM Venting some STEAM  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
What a little piece of garbage this invasiveware is...

Lazy afternoon, go to the store, pick up a game, come home, launch install and get ready to play but Noooo, FARTS just has to let another big one rip right in your face when it starts downloading some 200mb patch and won't let you play till it's done. Not of all us are on NASA's fiber optics... So instead of some gaming time, I have to wait around. And the remaining time counter's been stuck on 10mn for over half an hour now...

All the little blasted punk was able to do when I went looking for an option do disable the automatic download of updates was to crash on me. No luck finding the option either. If it's there it's well hidden...

Sorry, had to vent while I'm waiting for FARTS to be done passing gas all over my gaming afternoon...

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3404890 - 10/06/11 04:36 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
What I don't get - and I mean that totally non-provocative - is that you obviously dislike the damn thing (maybe not as fanatical as I do) yet you keep buying titles that require it...

It's not gonna get any improvements as long as the moneys keep rolling in.

#3404906 - 10/06/11 04:53 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: VonBarb.

All the little blasted punk was able to do when I went looking for an option do disable the automatic download of updates was to crash on me. No luck finding the option either. If it's there it's well hidden...
Nico

Right-click the game in question within your Steam library, select 'Properties' and click on the 'Updates' tab.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3404970 - 10/06/11 05:56 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
So there is an option ! Thanks Paradaz, except it should be the other way round : automatic updates toggled off by default, since the donwload starts right after the installation is finished and doesn't give you any time to turn it off. Clever bas...

@RSColonel : I just wish I was given a choice, but somehow as of late it appears use of STEAM will be more and more widespread as an alarming proportion of my latest game purchases required it. I hate the damn thing, and I hate it even more that I'm forced to cope with it in order to enjoy games that interest me.

Cheers

Nico

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#3405026 - 10/06/11 07:21 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Nico, that is kind of self-defeating reasoning.

More and more games that interest you (and me) are using STEAM because people either love it, or at least put up with it. I'm not denying anyone the right to love what it does, but to put up with it means you're not voting with your wallet. As we see more Publisher-specific services spring into being (Origin...) we'll regret the day Steam became "acceptable despite being annoying". Because that is indeed the future - lots of online based services with a ToS basically signing your firstborn away to be able and play a game.

#3405394 - 10/07/11 07:05 AM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Maybe it is, but to vote with my wallet would mean quitting gaming altogether in the short to medium term, and the alternative that would allow me to have my cake and eat it... well, I'd rather not discuss it here, and it wouldn't be helping anyone either.

Since devs will assimilate my purchasing their game as a way to condone the use of STEAM, the only thing left for me to do is to be vocal about my hatred of the system. Maybe if more people spoke out, they'd realise not everyone is as ecstatic about it as they'd thought...

I've come to terms with the RoF system, because I find it a lot less invasive and restricting. Maybe a STEAM "lite" would help ?

Cheers

Nico

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

#3405514 - 10/07/11 02:08 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I tell you what you should try, Download the Origin Download manager from EA and use that for a while. I guarantee you will like Steam a whole lot better. I just downloaded a 3Gb update for RO2, it took 10 minutes.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3405700 - 10/07/11 06:39 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
CA_Stary Offline
CA_Stary  Offline

Poland
Bong, good for you, but not everyone has the bandwitch like you..
as for Origin, two days ago I reinstalled Bad Company 2 to try some multiplayer (got bored with BF3 open beta Metro map), but no, of course I had to wait 4 hours for the autoupdater finishes downloading all the patches and other stuff I don't even know the purpose of. Do I have to add those four hours in the evening were all the spare gaming time I had in last several days?

#3406074 - 10/08/11 07:37 AM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: CA_Stary]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
I don't see why you would even bother playing a game that is unpatched. I'd rather play it right the first time than wade through hours of trouble shooting getting the game to run, enable features, crashing and all of the other common errors with unpatched PC games. Let alone searching the internet (and getting possibly viruses in the process, game sites are filled with them) looking for a patch to update the game eventually, only to find out that you downloaded the wrong version and have to restart the process over again (because how are you supposed to know that "English" versions of the game won't work on American computers?). The simultaneous download/install from Steam is far quicker than downloading it elsewhere and then installing. And you will eventually want to patch your game; you might as well do it in as little time as possible. Lets not forget that Steam downloading/installing a game uses far less resources than Firefox staying open and especially less resources than running a .exe installer.

You can not like Steam for many reasons, but this point is rather null. IMO.

Originally Posted By: CA_Stary
Bong, good for you, but not everyone has the bandwitch like you..
as for Origin, two days ago I reinstalled Bad Company 2 to try some multiplayer (got bored with BF3 open beta Metro map), but no, of course I had to wait 4 hours for the autoupdater finishes downloading all the patches and other stuff I don't even know the purpose of. Do I have to add those four hours in the evening were all the spare gaming time I had in last several days?

So you wanted to play BFBC2 MP, but without the latest patch? Because you won't actually be able to find any servers. I tried this recently. I had to manually download the 3GB patch from Gamers Hell, and then install it.

That being said I really don't like Origin.

#3406110 - 10/08/11 11:04 AM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Flogger, in 20 years of gaming, I've never had a problem finding a manual patch installer download. I've never had a virus since I usually download them from the publisher website. I've rarely had a game that wouldn't work at all without the first patch. I've had however a ton of games that had a bad patch issues which I then removed.

I'm sorry but I'm not in favor of systems built to the lowest common denominator. Optional auto patching is fine for those who need it, but keep it optional - and Steam likes to reset to auto patching no matter what you set there.

#3406130 - 10/08/11 12:16 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
It's not so much about playing an unpatched game or having it being done for you - it's about not being given the choice to, or more accurately, the choice to is somewhat obfuscated.

When you load up a game, you want to play it. You don't want to have to wait minutes/hours for it to patch while you have to sit around like a lemon waiting for it to finish. Now, if you know that something has to be patched, then you will mentally understand that and assign and allow time for it to be patched.

The fact that it is capable of automatically patching is a convenience. However, if you don't ask for it to be patched, the patch is big, and you don't allow time for it (you want to play it ffs), then it becomes the opposite. It's damned frustrating.

#3406135 - 10/08/11 12:30 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Couldn't agree more.

One game I bought had only half of the files on disk- the other 5 GB downloaded in the first 'patch' from Steam (this is not an error on my part, think it was planned like this as a form of CP), and Steam is almost always a slow connection for me.

#3406733 - 10/09/11 06:12 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
you can turn off automatic patching,

#3406755 - 10/09/11 07:27 PM Re: Venting some STEAM [Re: VonBarb.]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
It's well reported that Steam likes to reset auto patching.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.