Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3358158 - 08/03/11 01:10 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline
More projects than sense!

Graham, WA
That's really weird because the F-15 combiner glass is not chamfered(sp) at both ends - the HUD core is pretty much the same between the two as well. Either Kaiser or Canada/Marconi is the OEM. I don't recall which off the top of my head though.

[I did some digging and I'm wrong - the F/A-18 uses a full combiner glass on the lower and a half on the upper whereas the F-15 uses a half on the upper and a 3/4 on the lower]

g.

Last edited by Gene Buckle; 08/04/11 01:11 PM. Reason: HUD research

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3358496 - 08/03/11 10:42 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Valisk_61 Offline
Valisk_61  Offline

Widnes, UK
This build just oozes quality! And that's a kings ransom of switches you've collected there Pretzel!

FS~Valisk 'Val'
www.skiesoffire.org

"I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive." - Randall Munroe
#3358562 - 08/04/11 12:27 AM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
I see ViperPits has 11 F-18 Hornet Panel for sale. A few F-16 panels will crossover like the KY58. I think these are the same ones sold at the SimulatorStore..........Steve?
http://www.thesimulatorstore.com

Link.
http://shop.viperpits.org/index.php?cPath=39

Pretzelworks - We dont make the sim, we make it better.
Soon to open > FA18Hornet.net and FA18SuperHornet.net
#3358576 - 08/04/11 12:58 AM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Wood Offline
Wood  Offline

Winnipeg
Hey Pretzel
Fantastic job on the pit.. Your post here is a big help in getting things together to start my pit. I do have one question. For the ribs on the fuselage. sorry if it's a silly question but how and what did you use to get the curve on the fuselage..

Thanks
Mark

#3358629 - 08/04/11 03:27 AM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
walker450 Offline
walker450  Offline

Nice!!!!!!

#3358994 - 08/04/11 04:02 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

What they said! Great stuff!

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3359187 - 08/04/11 08:59 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Wood]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Wood
Hey Pretzel
Fantastic job on the pit.. Your post here is a big help in getting things together to start my pit. I do have one question. For the ribs on the fuselage. sorry if it's a silly question but how and what did you use to get the curve on the fuselage..

Thanks
Mark

I forget the name of the Jig that was use to measure the hull curve. The Lex was removed and you pressed it against the side of the Hornet and lock it in.
Then it was layed on a print and drawn it out at increments.
My Hull has no ribbs (fake ones be added later on the inside) It is made from blown fiberglass as well as the side panels..and soon to be instument panel.

Cheers!

#3359287 - 08/04/11 10:42 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Wood Offline
Wood  Offline

Winnipeg
Quote:
I forget the name of the Jig that was use to measure the hull curve. The Lex was removed and you pressed it against the side of the Hornet and lock it in.
Then it was layed on a print and drawn it out at increments.
My Hull has no ribbs (fake ones be added later on the inside) It is made from blown fiberglass as well as the side panels..and soon to be instument panel.

Cheers!

wow!! Alot of work but worth every bit of effort. Thanks for the reply..

#3399168 - 09/28/11 10:58 AM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Chain Offline
Chain  Offline

Just wanted to say hello to fellow Hornet pit builders and tell you a little about my progress.

I'm building a F/A-18C pit. I got almost all of the left and right console panels from ebay. The replica panels cost me 18 usd per panel and they can be backlit (lucky me!). I am currently attaching switches, pots, rotary encoders and knobs to the panels (70% done). I bought IO cards from Leo Bodnar and they are in the mail.

I bought all the C-model compatible panels from Viperpit.org shop (Mike) and I'm currently attaching those to my pit frame. I had an idea to use real dzus rail but it seems to be impossible task to find compatible dzus screws for my panels. This means that I have to replace the rails or drill the metal wire off from the dzus holes (I will propably do the drilling). It's kinda sad to waste good dzus rail. I did order dzus replicas from simworld.pl but haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully they will ship my order soon.

The front pit frame and many other nice parts are available from Steve (www.thesimulatorstore.com). I heard rumors that more parts will be available soon.

I am searching for the following items (real or replica) and would love if some of you could help me out:

MFD Bezels - Friend working on these
Map display bezel
Integrated Fuel/Engine Indicator bezel
AOA Indexer
Left Threat display - Planning to order from Steve
Attitude Reference Indicator
Azimuth Indicator
Standby Airspeed Indicator
Standby Altimeter
Vertical Speed Indicator
Canopy Jettison Lever
Standby Magnetic Compass
ECM Control Panel
Clock
Altimeter (pressure Compartment)
UFC (up front control panel)
Brake Pressure Indicator
Hydraulic Pressure Indicator
3x mirrors
Indicator panel bezel (which is for the nose, left, right, flaps etc indicators)

...and ejection seat kit (NACES or similar) - FOUND ACES 2 and modding it to look like NACES.

Alot of things to do but I did have time to test drive my pit with the Seven-G demo and it was FUN! cheers

Last edited by Chain; 09/30/11 06:49 PM.
#3400489 - 09/30/11 01:36 AM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
Hey Chain,
I hear you about the dzus fastners. I ended up making mine form a mold. Plastic injected with black color.
Im just going to drill a hole at the corner of each panel and glue them in. Thats why they have a stem on them.
Im not doing the rail thing.

I dont have the mold anymore frown. lots was lost in the move. But I need to get back into it.

Cheers!
Pretzel~

#3400931 - 09/30/11 06:45 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Chain Offline
Chain  Offline

I got an ACES 2 replica today and I'm planning to paint it black and modify it to look more like NACES-seat. smile I also received my 5 meters of led strip and a dimmer for back-lighting my panels. Simworld.pl shipped my order of dzus replicas and rotary encoders. I'm going to be busy next week wink

#3401037 - 09/30/11 08:52 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Chain]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Chain
I got an ACES 2 replica today and I'm planning to paint it black and modify it to look more like NACES-seat. smile I also received my 5 meters of led strip and a dimmer for back-lighting my panels. Simworld.pl shipped my order of dzus replicas and rotary encoders. I'm going to be busy next week wink

Where did you get the ACES from?

Also, what search did you put into ebay to find those panels, stuff like that seems tough find.

Last edited by aggressorblue; 09/30/11 09:05 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3401406 - 10/01/11 02:47 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Chain Offline
Chain  Offline

I bought the ACES2 from a F-16 pit builder about 20km where I live. It cost me 45 euros with the cushions smile I found the panels by just searching ebay motors with "simulator panel". I was really lucky that time.

#3404048 - 10/05/11 02:31 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

Does this guy make ACES replica on order or this was a one shot thing?

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3404125 - 10/05/11 04:23 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Chain Offline
Chain  Offline

Unfortunately this was one shot thing. He wanted a more comfortable chair and I offered to help him get rid of the ACES2 wink

Today my order arrived from Simworld.pl. The dzus replicas look nice (they have boeing style paint on them). These are plastic but seem very durable. Not bad for the price. Now I'm just waiting for the I/O-card and then I get to finish my panels smile

#3404440 - 10/05/11 11:16 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Wood Offline
Wood  Offline

Winnipeg
Hi Guy's
I finally got my pit out of the garage and into the house (with a lot of sweet talking to the wife may I add) Anyways, just finished the tub and started putting it together so I can start setting it up or at least what i have so far. I see others pits and am very impressed on what I see. I would loved to have purchased the panels from the sim store but can't really afford it as RL things comes first.

The tub and side panels are made with 5/8 particle board and the benzels as well as the avionics panels are made from 1/4 inch MDF and 1/8 MDF to give it some depth. At times I really wish I would have learned the trade of sheet-medal but never did.

The glairshield was the most difficult to construct and bend to the shape. I know it's not split like the really one but to me it looks close.

Now that i have it in the house is where all the fun begins placing all the switches in and getting them to work correctly. I purchased the A10 HOTAS to get the split throttle am now at a loss of what to do. The throttle is just way to bulky and I am very temped to pull it apart and place the switches where they belong.
Still trying to decide on what to use for an interface board. Probably will end up going with X-key board unless someone has any other recommendations I can look at.

At the moment I'm experimenting with what software to program all this with.

Anyways here are a few pics for you.

Last edited by Wood; 10/06/11 02:27 PM.
#3404595 - 10/06/11 04:53 AM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Pretzel]  
Chain Offline
Chain  Offline

I have the same problem with the throttle. I was thinking about doing extension parts for the throttle arms. Not sure if the throttle arm throw would be near to the real one though (and I don't have the necessary tools to make this happen).

Btw check this out:
http://aerotronicsllc.com/f18throttle.htm

Last edited by Chain; 10/06/11 04:54 AM.
#3404777 - 10/06/11 02:31 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Chain]  
Wood Offline
Wood  Offline

Winnipeg
I have the same problem with the throttle. I was thinking about doing extension parts for the throttle arms. Not sure if the throttle arm throw would be near to the real one though (and I don't have the necessary tools to make this happen).

Btw check this out:

Thanks Chain

Wow that is great. Funny i was thinking of extending the throttle arm as well and placing the throttle under the left panel and just bringing the throttles through with the extensions. I sent them an email to see what the cost is so once I see the price that will be the deciding factor.

Mark

Last edited by Wood; 10/06/11 02:32 PM.
#3404967 - 10/06/11 05:53 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Wood]  
Chain Offline
Chain  Offline

Btw check this out:

Thanks Chain

Wow that is great. Funny i was thinking of extending the throttle arm as well and placing the throttle under the left panel and just bringing the throttles through with the extensions. I sent them an email to see what the cost is so once I see the price that will be the deciding factor.

Mark

I was wondering if the pot movement area will decrease if we just extend the throttle arm. Perhaps we need to bend it a little. I need to do some calculations wink

Here is one example of my panels. Almost all of the side console panels are now complete. I still need few more special pots. Panels still need some paint and few small fixes but otherwise they are ready to be wired.

#3404975 - 10/06/11 06:01 PM Re: F/A-18 Hornet Pit builders (HornetHQ) Thread [Re: Wood]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz

Btw check this out:

Thanks Chain

Mark

Be ready to be disappointed. Think 4 figures.....

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.