Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3287781 - 05/05/11 05:10 PM About the arming and zones  
Nodunit Offline
Nodunit  Offline

First off I'm very happy that this is being included, zone arming could certainly hold much potential but I wanted to ask about how it will be done and maybe toss a suggestion (don't take this as a "hey it should be done like this" that is not my intent)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200...07-05-24-57.png you have your presets and at the bottoms you can change what kind of hellfire missiles you want, you've got the three zone area's on the bottom and a legend in between, by clicking the numbers you could change the rocket type.

Again this is just something I thought I'd toss out there, not saying it should be this way, very much looking forward to seeing this in action.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3287825 - 05/05/11 05:56 PM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Nodunit]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
That's awesome. Very retro, reminds me of the arming screen from Hornet Korea. The clipboard was a staple of 90's sims, I'd love to see it used as the background of any in-game options system.

Currently arming happens outside the pit, you walk around selecting pylons and the ordnance you want to load on that plyon. Rockets are loaded into zones in a 3 click cycle. At the moment rocket models aren't visible when loaded but once they are it should be quite an intuitive system.

You can see the loading system in this video @ 1:15 http://youtu.be/Y6ILqIQDaio

The clipboard would be a great way to arm without leaving the pit which would be useful as it could be tedious to shutdown and startup each time you re-arm.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3287839 - 05/05/11 06:11 PM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Nodunit]  
Nodunit Offline
Nodunit  Offline

Doh! I can't believe I forgot that, after having watched that video so many times...

#3288288 - 05/06/11 10:37 AM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: AD]  
gatordev Offline
gatordev  Offline

Originally Posted By: AD

The clipboard would be a great way to arm without leaving the pit which would be useful as it could be tedious to shutdown and startup each time you re-arm.

Cheers

Will the game engine allow you to hop out of the helo and still have the engine running? Or does it automatically shut down the motors, a la Operation Flashpoint (the original)?

#3288317 - 05/06/11 11:52 AM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Nodunit]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Presently if no player occupies the vehicle it's programmed to begin auto-shutdown right away. It's easy enough to change so it retains state for a couple of minutes before entering power down. We're not in testing yet so this has never come up.

A while back we talked about ways we could do arming, from clipboards by the landing pad to popup screens. At air-shows and in publicity photos you see ordnance laid out in front of aircraft which is a classic interface format used in older sims. Falcon 1, Gunship, DI F16 and more all had these. We using the classic sim approach but in full 3D as the design requires no in-between mission loading of front ends.

Really you should prep before you mount but it's no hardship to make the above change and I've easily expended 1200 rounds of ammo and needed to hop-out to re-arm several times. Not so bad now that shells do frag radius damage.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#3289088 - 05/07/11 09:16 AM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Flexman]  
Recklezz Offline
Recklezz  Offline

wherever I might be that day
Is it an idea to "order" ammo from the air (radio) if you plan to land at a FARP/Camp Whateverthenamewillbe? So you can stay in your cab whilst the ground crew is loading the ammo amd refueling?

Just my 2 eurocents...

#3289493 - 05/07/11 09:56 PM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Flexman]  
gatordev Offline
gatordev  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flexman

Really you should prep before you mount but it's no hardship to make the above change and I've easily expended 1200 rounds of ammo and needed to hop-out to re-arm several times. Not so bad now that shells do frag radius damage.

I guess it this could be a good compromise between "reality" and game. While you don't have to shutdown to reload, it still takes time to load up. But if you make it so that you can hop out in game (which shuts down the helo), reload, then hop back in and start up, it still eats a bit of time for "reality's" sake.

Either way, looking forward to it.

#3400396 - 09/29/11 10:37 PM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Nodunit]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
While going for a test drive today I had chance to revisit the whole re-arming process and it could use a little pepping up. I miss having a clipboard and I agree that it would save time to do it from the cockpit (it's possible to do it from the command console but it's not rookie friendly).

Also having to 'hunch down' to point on the stores becomes a pain as you need to look up to see what's been loaded. So a little change will be needed here. As part of my polish pass I've made menus more visible on large screens as in this tripplehead screenshot (quite patriotic).

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#3400464 - 09/30/11 12:57 AM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: AD]  
oscarklein Offline
oscarklein  Offline

When i click the link i get the infamous this video is private message..

#3400467 - 09/30/11 12:59 AM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Flexman]  
oscarklein Offline
oscarklein  Offline

While going for a test drive today I had chance to revisit the whole re-arming process and it could use a little pepping up. I miss having a clipboard and I agree that it would save time to do it from the cockpit (it's possible to do it from the command console but it's not rookie friendly).

Also having to 'hunch down' to point on the stores becomes a pain as you need to look up to see what's been loaded. So a little change will be needed here. As part of my polish pass I've made menus more visible on large screens as in this tripplehead screenshot (quite patriotic).

Your such a tease!

#3400470 - 09/30/11 01:02 AM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Flexman]  
oscarklein Offline
oscarklein  Offline

Presently if no player occupies the vehicle it's programmed to begin auto-shutdown right away. It's easy enough to change so it retains state for a couple of minutes before entering power down. We're not in testing yet so this has never come up.

A while back we talked about ways we could do arming, from clipboards by the landing pad to popup screens. At air-shows and in publicity photos you see ordnance laid out in front of aircraft which is a classic interface format used in older sims. Falcon 1, Gunship, DI F16 and more all had these. We using the classic sim approach but in full 3D as the design requires no in-between mission loading of front ends.

This is just getting better and better! I love you guys!
I was wondering , is the M-230 reloaded automaticly when you hop out and rearm the hellfire and rockets? Or do you click the m-230 or something? That would be really cool. Also i a detail kind of guy and it would be cool if you could select the amount of rounds for the chaingun.

Last edited by oscarklein; 09/30/11 01:10 AM.
#3400846 - 09/30/11 04:41 PM Re: About the arming and zones [Re: Nodunit]  
Lurker_71 Offline
Lurker_71  Offline

I can't wait to get my hands on this sim.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.