Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3386717 - 09/09/11 09:47 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Here you go, OG.
She has all the curves and bobs in the right places, and the wood grips gives her that "you want to hold me" look. smile

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3386733 - 09/09/11 10:20 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Speedo Offline
Hotshot
Speedo  Offline
Hotshot

NC USA
I'm guessing that's your carry gun Bill? She's a beaut.

#3386737 - 09/09/11 10:27 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Ding Ding!
My "Winter" version... she's just a tad bigger than the XD subcompact

~Bill

#3386770 - 09/09/11 11:08 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
That sure is beautiful Bill. Nicely smoothed for concealed carry. I would like it better if it weren't two toned. A nice old "blue" blued; but that is a matter of taste. My only call is that if I'm going that size I may as well be going 45.

But I truly do like that.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3386807 - 09/10/11 12:16 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Nice piece Speedo, that'll be fun to shoot.

.45 is a man stopper, if that's what you're carrying it for, make sure it can do the job, 'return' fire can be very unpleasant.
I'm really liking those sub compact .45's I've seen lately.
OG and Bill have got the right weapons to defend yourself with.
I carry a Glock .40 Cal. and it doesn't really make me feel as comfortable as a .45 would.

I'll post a nice photo of 'something' by October, when the daughter completes her CCP class.
Hopefully it will have more than only the 2 .45acp shots, she is eyeing right now... wink

"Murphy's Law"
#3386811 - 09/10/11 12:27 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
Originally Posted By: letterboy1
Originally Posted By: shan2
I love Sigs. However, it may be the end of the road for my beloved P229s. I think I'm switching to Glock. eek2

Good choice. No more of those quaint outdated things sticking out of the back . . . uhhhh, hammers I think.

Letterboy, the advantage of a hammer, means that if it Fails to Fire, you can click that Trigger Thingy again. wink
With striker fired, you better be knowing how to rack tap & shoot.

Two slaps on a dead primer, won't help much Bill.
And if someone is pointing a gun at you, nothing will help much by then...lol...
I'd be ducking and moving, and racking another one in, but probably be dead by then.
But along the same line, I've never had a miss fire, with 'good' ammo, and my Colt .45, or my Glock 22.
But like I said, I've never had a missfire.
But I suppose it does happen.
Sounds like a horror story to me.

"Murphy's Law"
#3386818 - 09/10/11 12:40 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
That's why you have a friend load your magazine, and he puts in SnapCaps (inert rounds).
That will get you to learn the Fail to Fire drill! biggrin
Also great for demonstrating "flinch"

~Bill

#3386855 - 09/10/11 01:40 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
SpongeBob55 Offline
SpongeBob55  Offline

Missouri
USA Ammo is G2G. I have shot about 5K of their 9mm in the last year. Seems to be cleaner than WWB.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
#3386891 - 09/10/11 03:21 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Murphy]  
Speedo Offline
Hotshot
Speedo  Offline
Hotshot

NC USA
Originally Posted By: SpongeBob55
USA Ammo is G2G. I have shot about 5K of their 9mm in the last year. Seems to be cleaner than WWB.

Do you use their new stuff or reloaded?

Originally Posted By: Murphy
.45 is a man stopper, if that's what you're carrying it for, make sure it can do the job, 'return' fire can be very unpleasant.
I'm really liking those sub compact .45's I've seen lately.
OG and Bill have got the right weapons to defend yourself with.
I carry a Glock .40 Cal. and it doesn't really make me feel as comfortable as a .45 would.

I know caliber debates can make religious wars look like polite conversation, so I'll toss in my .02 and move on-

If/when I choose a gun to carry, all options will be on the table, but my feeling at the moment though is that a 9mm JHP or two to the torso will put the overwhelming majority of people on the ground. And in a scenario that involves more than one bad guy or isn't over after the first shot or two, I'd much rather have 13-15 rounds of 9mm than 6-7 .45 ACP.

Last edited by Speedo; 09/10/11 03:22 AM.
#3386907 - 09/10/11 03:49 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
SpongeBob55 Offline
SpongeBob55  Offline

Missouri
I shoot their reloads.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant
#3386920 - 09/10/11 04:05 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Speedo

I know caliber debates can make religious wars look like polite conversation, so I'll toss in my .02 and move on-

If/when I choose a gun to carry, all options will be on the table, but my feeling at the moment though is that a 9mm JHP or two to the torso will put the overwhelming majority of people on the ground. And in a scenario that involves more than one bad guy or isn't over after the first shot or two, I'd much rather have 13-15 rounds of 9mm than 6-7 .45 ACP.

Shoot what ever is most comfortable, and accurate, for you.
I have thought about buying a .380, as they are very small footprint.
But some people look down their nose at any caliber not starting with .4, wink
My point, if I hit you with 2 well placed .380 shots, you are not going to be all excited about trying for a 3rd round.
Kidding aside, if we look at the those two last shootings, the guy at VT killed a lot of people with a 9mm, and the guy at Fort Hood killed a lot with a 5.7mm round.
Fact is, if it is lead and traveling fast, it can kill.
So yeah, Speedo, I am comfortable carrying a 9mm or the .40. They both will work if needed.

~Bill

#3386921 - 09/10/11 04:09 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Sorry, I missed my main point.
IF you don't feel super comfortable carrying the gun of your choice, guess what? You WONT carry it.
Too many guys have said they gotta have "X", but when they find out what the size and weight of "X" is on their person, they stop carrying it.
Find what is comfortable, what shoots well, what you can be proficient with, and that is the one.

~Bill

#3386991 - 09/10/11 07:17 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
SpongeBob55 Offline
SpongeBob55  Offline

Missouri
Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
Sorry, I missed my main point.
IF you don't feel super comfortable carrying the gun of your choice, guess what? You WONT carry it.
Too many guys have said they gotta have "X", but when they find out what the size and weight of "X" is on their person, they stop carrying it.
Find what is comfortable, what shoots well, what you can be proficient with, and that is the one.

This and invest money in a good carry belt and a quality holster(not whatever that thing is you have that sig stuck into neaner ). I carry this Comp-tac Minotaur . Its hands down the best holster I have used since I started carrying 17 years ago.

#3387053 - 09/10/11 11:52 AM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
It isn't just weight. Sometimes it is just about concealment. I live in Florida and our shorts and T-shirt weather makes concealing a pistol more difficult. I had my holster slightly modified by my shoe repair guy, Since wearing it puts the metal right against the skin under the T-shirt; I had him add a bit of additional leather so that the metal doeasn't contact the skin. But still it is easy to uncover the gun with the T-shirt, They ride up too easy. Just don't do well concealing. So I have started carrying a KELTEC 380. Incredibly small; just drop in a pocket. It can even fit in a shirt pocket. So my ALWAYS carry is the KELTEC 380 and my 45 is now my Winter gun and my car gun. The 380 is right on the bottom of acceptable carry, but it is a question of size/concealability. But it is better a 380 on you than a 45 at home or in the car. You have to find what is best for you and take it from there. There is no right in every case answer.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3387066 - 09/10/11 12:26 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
Sometimes it is both weight AND concealment. And other things.

There was a time that I wouldn't leave the house without a pistol on me. The best solution I found was a Glock 27. But even the 27 is no lightweight. Anything smaller than 9mm P is, in my mind, not strong enough to stop bad guys unless you hit him in the head with it.

Then I had a bout of frozen shoulder, which meant that carrying the 27 in my purse hurt, and meant I couldn't grab reloads in my usual Galco Jackass shoulder rig. On the street when I'm working with law enforcement I can carry reloads on my belt, and I often wear a Ken Null USH shoulder holster because it is very compact and easy to reach when seated in a car, though I don't like the need to hook it to my jeans (why I use the Galco rig normally, it needs no tiedowns.) But for self defense....

Then I met the Taser C2. If your loved one refuses to pack heat, like a lot of women do, point them to the C2. It is excellent. It's a featherweight. I have seen M26 Tasers used a bunch of times in the field and I've never seen a bad guy not put down by one. They're nonlethal, meaning that if you pull a Taser and you're wrong, it's a misdemeanor in this state rather than a major felony, and if you shoot someone with a Taser and get second-guessed wrong later, it's a max year in jail instead of life imprisonment. And even tough guys who bow up to seeing a pistol (some of these jokers think it's manly to get shot and live) will choose otherwise when faced with the possibility of a mere female making them (1) dance the electric jig and (2) crap their drawers in the process (and I've seen that vs. a police M26 at least once). Plus, mine's lipstck-red and looks like a Dustbuster, which lessens (though does not eliminate) the chance of an accidental blue-on-blue incident when the cops show up and it's in my hand.

I'm much more comfortable with the Taser on me, because it has a light and a laser, and it also has a 30 second cycle time rather than the 5 second time of the police Taser-you can hit him, drop it, and beat feet while he's still jigging on the pavement, send the police report to Taser International, and get a replacement C2 for free. And reloading is fast. Plus, the bad guy gets to go to trial and hopefully, prison or probation when he gets bagged, which will be a titanic pain in the ass for him. Bonus!

I'm strongly considering buying a three-shot X3 through my procurement contacts at the Sheriff's Office next year when I get my student loans paid off. They're law enforcement only, so I'll need their assistance to get one, and they run about what a really good Kimber would. But you can't beat the lightness, reliability, and peace of mind.

I still pack the Glock for business. But when I'm not working with law enforcement, I simply prefer the Taser.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#3387112 - 09/10/11 02:29 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: SpongeBob55]  
Speedo Offline
Hotshot
Speedo  Offline
Hotshot

NC USA
Originally Posted By: SpongeBob55
This and invest money in a good carry belt and a quality holster(not whatever that thing is you have that sig stuck into neaner ).

Double Triple holster. I just wanted something so I don't have to carry it to the range in my pocket. That was about 20 bucks and does the job. neaner

#3387122 - 09/10/11 03:02 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Which one? The link only takes me to the home page.

#3387177 - 09/10/11 05:15 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I've worked plain cloths almost my entire 25 years in law enforcement, I have carried a gun for the last 40 years, every day of my life.
A revolver is tough to carry in your belt, the cylinder pulls it down, it falls down your pant leg, but a semi-auto Glock 22 .40 cal. is perfect for me. I've tried the 'James Bond' holsters, they don't work for me. I wear a 'tee shirt' to keep the gun away from my skin, then a long 'outside the pants' shirt, or in winter I just wear a jacket. I put it down my back, on my right side, right where my wallet is, it slips in the slot like it was made for it, under my belt and pants, with the handle/clip hanging on the belt, handle/clip is facing to the right, no holster at all to bulk up the works. I never notice I have it. When I reach for my wallet (I don't put it there) I feel the handle and come up with my Glock in my right hand. I've done this all my life, every day. Maybe it won't work for a 'round' guy, I don't know.
It wears out your shirts, but I don't even notice I have it.
And it's there when I need it.
I've never been called on, nobody ever saw it, AFAIK. If you wear it outside your pants in a holster, it makes it very visible to anyone looking for it. Inside your pants without the holster to bulk you up, it conceals it much better. Just look in the mirror.
If your conscious of having it, you don't bend over when someone is behind you, or let people get behind you very long.
I've lived like that my whole life, it's part of me. I don't hardly notice it, I just do it.
When I worked Vice, I used an ankle holster with an airweight, as they patted you down quite often.
OG...don't know how you get away with just a 'tee shirt' and a gun...lol...I never thought that was possible!....you are a 'bold' man... wink ...unless you wear the shirt too. Maybe just get longer shirts if they ride up.
Or, like Bill, make sure you hit 'em in the eye with that .380.

But those big 'cross draw' shoulder holsters look real pretty, I especially like the rigs I see on TV. Never seen one in real life though, except the 'first day' working plain cloths, some guys came in with them.... wink ...not the next day.

"Murphy's Law"
#3387182 - 09/10/11 05:31 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I've interviewed too many shooting victims, just talking to me like nothing happened, shot with .38's and 9mm's, to ever want to carry one. You don't hit them in the right spot and they'll shoot you back for sure. It's not how the game is played, if you want to win.
Anyone, I ever talked to, shot with a .45 was lying down....most of those cases ended up being handled by the Homicide Section.

If you really are going to play, I suggest you play to win.

"Murphy's Law"
#3387290 - 09/10/11 09:19 PM Re: Joined the Sig owners club today! [Re: Speedo]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Murphy, did you ever try the gun clip system?

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.