Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3386158 - 09/09/11 09:11 AM Rising Sun DLC?  
JimBeamer5 Offline
JimBeamer5  Offline

First off, kudos to you guys. I am a PTO freak and this work is excellent. I have both Phases (and YAP) and am waiting eagerley for the next phase.

I also want to thank your for the idea of re-creating historical missions. I have my own PTO heroes and greatly enjoy creating and flying their missions. Guys none but the most avid PTO history reader would know of, and whose missions were not "game changers", and ultimately may have been of no importance whatsoever in the greater scheme of things, but it's important to me to remember these guys and what they did - and did under the worst conditions imaginable.

So, to that end, as TK seems to have gone down the DLC route, to you guys have any plans to do the same and maybe release an object or two (plane, ship, whatever) to keep some revenue coming in? New planes like the P-38 would be great, but existing mods of already released birds (like TK is doing) would be great too.

To be perfectly honest, I hope the answer is "no, Phase Three will soon be ready for release", but if not, what say you? I'd gladly pay for some new DLC, and buy the next Phase when it comes out in full. I'm sure a lot of others would do the same.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3386385 - 09/09/11 02:29 PM Re: Rising Sun DLC? [Re: JimBeamer5]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
"no, Phase Three will soon be ready for release"

YAP3 will not be new missions, aircraft or ships (beyond those in Set 10). It will be versions that will run fully patched on XP and on Windows 7 machines.

We have thought about updating some of the worse aircraft in WOV (A-6, A-7, B-57, etc.) but have not made up our minds yet. It would take a shift of mindset. From the start, we wanted to tell stories and not sell models (even though we are well aware of the fact that our customers really like new models). The problem was modelers. Hinch works at his own rate and the product is unsurpassed, so we choose to not compromise on ships. We have maybe 8 aircraft and cockpits in the works right now. Some are for YAP Set 10. Some are for Rising Sun. Some are for another project of a different sort.

We can get any aircraft turned out in high detail rapidly now but remaking all the WOV and YAP planes would cost a fortune that is unlikely to come back to us. I think people that have seen the Rising Sun aircraft see the evolution of our skills. Even some of them could be re-detailed.

Two things: We never marketed YAP right. It is history for history nuts, not first person shooter for gaming nuts or freeware to garner applause. Our demographic is "men who read books" and that's a shrinking field. We have no plans to put it on an iPad either.

The other thing is the feeling that our customers have not flown the missions we have created. We are testing now and have had the opportunity to go back and refly some of our initial missions. I forgot just how good they were...the detail employed to set the scene. I wonder who has flown Prince of Darkness, Big Mother, Lima 85, Dragon's Jaw Finale...or that one where you land the SeaWolves Huey on the LST (Mobile Riverines)...the one for which we created the flamethrower.

Unlike just being in the sky shooting things, YAP requires you to know how to fly, know where you are going, know how much fuel you have, know the situation and then come home again...and often onto a carrier at night. It's very demanding for a game or for a book. The idea was to make you do pedal turns in helicopters, refuel behind tankers, trap onto a deck, dodge ground fire, deal with confusion and weather so you are in the boots of the 20-something boys that do this stuff. I learned an awful lot researching, interviewing and creating my part of this. I know it is a means of learning history far beyond anything else short of putting on the plane and hanging it out there.

There will be new aircraft in Set 10 and we are not sure how many yet. There are some conspicuous in their absence. We just need an interesting and unique mission to justify them...even if it's one mission. We were thinking about doing "Charlie Don't Surf" for comic relief employing all we know how to do...including Mike's new Helicopter Flight Model.

It is evolving. We always go overboard anyway.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.