Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3370782 - 08/19/11 08:59 PM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Chivas]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Of course you can't base a review on the future. The reviewer can certainly add a statement about the commitment the developer has shown in the past series and there intent to continue that commitment with this series.

This is the point I don't agree with you. If I'd review a game I'd focus on the product, not developer's past.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3370793 - 08/19/11 09:16 PM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: _michal]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: empeck
Of course you can't base a review on the future. The reviewer can certainly add a statement about the commitment the developer has shown in the past series and there intent to continue that commitment with this series.

This is the point I don't agree with you. If I'd review a game I'd focus on the product, not developer's past.

Of course you would focus 99.9% of the review on the product, but the buyer would also like to know how the developer supports its products.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3370903 - 08/20/11 01:23 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
Tell Offline
Tell  Offline

Once more the stock conflation of new COD team management with old (BoB: SOW). biggrin

Last edited by Tell; 08/20/11 01:27 AM.
#3370975 - 08/20/11 03:59 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Tell]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Tell
Once more the stock conflation of new COD team management with old (BoB: SOW). biggrin

When a decent company changes management it doesn't always mean the product will become garbage. Also many of the original IL-2 team still work for Maddox Games.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3370981 - 08/20/11 04:13 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
For awhile I was concerned that the COD development would fail due to the release of an unfinished sim, and the poor sales that might garner. BUT the initial sales of the original IL-2 were probably weaker because many people never heard of IL-2 Sturmovic. Although quite a few of us followed the development from the Bluebyte days. It will probably take a year of patches before COD really catches on while it took a few years for people to migrate from EAW, CFS2, etc to the original IL-2 series.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3371074 - 08/20/11 10:54 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Chivas]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

When a decent company changes management it doesn't always mean the product will become garbage. Also many of the original IL-2 team still work for Maddox Games.

The New Management had to have his a$$ pulled out of the mess he made of that was to be Pacific Fighters by the Old Management.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#3371122 - 08/20/11 01:44 PM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I think Luthier is doing his best, though so far his best is not quite enough.

#3371207 - 08/20/11 04:40 PM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK

The New Management had to have his a$$ pulled out of the mess he made of that was to be Pacific Fighters by the Old Management.

I remember being totally pissed that the developers had to drop BOB to help Luthier with Pacific Fighters. Luthiers was originally just modeling an aircraft carrier but that idea expanded into Pacific Fighters where he would need alot of help. It also spawned the idea of making more addons to the IL-2 series instead of working fully on their new game engine. They probably realized early in the development of BOB that computers then weren't capable of handling the complex features they intended for BOB, and there was still considerable monies to be made from addons to the old series.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3371426 - 08/21/11 12:32 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
These are such complex projects (I wouldn't be surprised if CofD has more lines of code than any previous game, certainly it must be in the top three sims in terms of complexity - and these are generally a dozen times more difficult to program than a first person shooter) - so it is really hard to point the blame anywhere. It is just a difficult task that takes time...

#3372842 - 08/23/11 04:57 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Originally Posted By: Bard
I think SimHQ is in a tough place.

they rely on the goodwill of the likes of ubisoft - yet CLOD is so bad that to review it in its current state would possibly cause damage to that goodwill - and not SimHQ's fault.

i would rather see simhq wait until it is functional, than to do a fluff review to keep ubi happy while at the same time misleading the consumer. integrity is everything.

Good grief.. reading

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are crazy to go down the conspiracy theory route on this one.

What on earth do you think Ubisoft do for SimHQ and vica versa? Is this just a general corruption allegation/smear or do you have specifics?

Dart and Tom are reviewing the game, they paid for their copies, they aren't waiting for patches and have already said that the review will be published here when it's ready.

It's straight forward common sense - without vendors paying for advertising the operating costs for SimHQ are paid by who? running a popular site isn't free. Biting a hand that feeds you or may potentially feed you sometime in future is not exactly wise business sense.

If a publisher such as UBI becomes hostile towards SimHQ they could lose a potential source of income.

More sensible than your conspiracy theory theory?

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3372848 - 08/23/11 05:11 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: _michal]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: empeck

It' double edged.

How a developer (and publisher) has treated their consumers in the past needs to be kept in mind. ESPECIALLY if they've screwed their customers in the past.

This genre in particular has suffered under terrible - sometimes fraudulent - behaviour by some publishers/developers.

I can't remember the last time i purchased a sim that was not unfinished. This trend continues. Knowing that in some way those people will be held accountable in future might be that little bit of extra incentive to be more professional with their development.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3372855 - 08/23/11 05:36 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bard]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
I think SimHQ is in a tough place.

they rely on the goodwill of the likes of ubisoft - yet CLOD is so bad that to review it in its current state would possibly cause damage to that goodwill - and not SimHQ's fault.

i would rather see simhq wait until it is functional, than to do a fluff review to keep ubi happy while at the same time misleading the consumer. integrity is everything.

Good grief.. reading

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are crazy to go down the conspiracy theory route on this one.

What on earth do you think Ubisoft do for SimHQ and vica versa? Is this just a general corruption allegation/smear or do you have specifics?

Dart and Tom are reviewing the game, they paid for their copies, they aren't waiting for patches and have already said that the review will be published here when it's ready.

It's straight forward common sense - without vendors paying for advertising the operating costs for SimHQ are paid by who? running a popular site isn't free. Biting a hand that feeds you or may potentially feed you sometime in future is not exactly wise business sense.

If a publisher such as UBI becomes hostile towards SimHQ they could lose a potential source of income.

More sensible than your conspiracy theory theory?

You are claiming that SimHQ will make a negative review a positive one for the reason of being able to attract companies like Ubisoft advertising dollars?

Ok, I disagree with that because:

- I don't think the people that run SimHQ are journalistically corrupt, in that they would deliberately mislead people for commercial gain.

- SimHQ has published negative reviews before, so why is this case different? Why would they be worried about a publisher now?

- Ubisoft don't advertise here, so are you assuming that Sim peripheral companies (or perhaps other sim companies that do adverts here) would therefore withdraw revenue unless the review is positive?

- The site owner replied in this thread to say this wasn't the case. I'm not sure what more he could do.

Personally I think it's pretty insulting you post that opinion here, but you're free to speak your mind I guess.

#3372934 - 08/23/11 08:56 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I dont think for a second SIM HQ or the people doing the review would fluff it up.
Though it does seem the review is taking a long time, and with a patch round the corner...well i guess we will see when its done.

#3372940 - 08/23/11 09:13 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

So Bard now accuses SimHQ of lying about their review process shortly after accusing Heinkill of lying as well?! That is pretty far out. Why would you even want to be part of a web site run by what you perceive as liars? nope

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3372942 - 08/23/11 09:15 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
I dont think for a second SIM HQ or the people doing the review would fluff it up.
Though it does seem the review is taking a long time, and with a patch round the corner...well i guess we will see when its done.

Ah, the classic "I don't think for a second... Though it does seem..."

- but then SimHQ is supposedly also in the pocket of yours truly, who runs the site as a secret cabal and can ban people on a whim... screwy - The clowning around continues...

#3372951 - 08/23/11 10:08 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Freycinet...the point has already been made, and by a Mod. You dont need to jump in on the back of it just to stir things up further smile

Bard can explain his own thoughts without you paraphrasing.

Frecyinet, for once, why dont you just stay out of things?

Ben

#3372952 - 08/23/11 10:12 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
GloDark7 Offline
GloDark7  Offline

Pale Blue Dot
An amusing saying just popped into my head.

This is getting silly now. The hold up is what?

I am just waiting for a brutally honest review that holds nothing back and proves SimHQ's unbiased credibility. We all know the state that the sim is currently in. There'll be no pulling the wool over anybody's eyes.

Glo

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)
#3372956 - 08/23/11 10:27 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Freycinet]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Ah, the classic "I don't think for a second... Though it does seem..."

- but then SimHQ is supposedly also in the pocket of yours truly, who runs the site as a secret cabal and can ban people on a whim... screwy - The clowning around continues...

Ah, the classic: "you don't agree with my line of thinking, therefore I will continue to flame you."

What a nice character you are, Frey.

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3372969 - 08/23/11 11:38 AM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

What is this nonsense, five pages of nagging SimH for a review? - It is not as if it is a pay web site and you're all owed something in exchange for a big monthly subscription! - This is a free site run by enthusiasts, how hard is that to understand?

All this bullying of SimHQ and their unpaid volunteers should really stop. If you guys want an unbiased review so much, maybe you shouldn't go on constantly pressuring them to do this and do that and woe unto the poor soul who doesn't write it exactly as you want him to... Just bugger off and leave them alone to what they're doing.

#3373405 - 08/23/11 09:39 PM Re: No SimHQ review of Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Bobb4]  
GloDark7 Offline
GloDark7  Offline

Pale Blue Dot
Enquiring as to what the delay may be is hardly bullying. Don't be so dramatic.

15 pages, 5000+ views, the wait goes on. The game was released weeks ago in US, months ago in Eur (in much the same state) and people are a little suspicious. Why wouldn't they be? Writing a review is an understandably complicated, time consuming process but in the meantime fans have written their in-depth reviews, game sites have put theirs up. Why is this one taking so long?

Last I heard (over a week ago) was that TC had completed his part of the review and Guod was waiting on Dart to complete his before formatting it for release. I think this will be a good test for SimHQ. Bias and a glossing over of problems will be easily detectable. It needs to be a true, warts and all, OOTB account of what it is and not what it may become with fantasy updates.

I am also very keen to see what Dart writes, considering he openly ridicules WoP and those that enjoy it.

Glo

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.