Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3356391 - 08/01/11 06:09 AM Finally bought it.....  
Turkeydriver Offline
Turkeydriver  Offline

Ok so the insurance check came in and I replaced the Uber2NXt Cougar with a warthog and thrustmaster MFDs. Got back into the wing of things in F4AF and was able to keep formation on a tanker rather easily first try. Then I was able 2 take out an underground factory in the first pass FINALLY(no idea why this was so hard before). So I thought I'm ready.
Downloaded and all I can say is whoa.
Thanks for the 64bit install-this game runs like butter.
I'll have to do the training on startup a few times to remember the order of things.

BUT WHOA, so far I can't slave the TGP or Mav to a symbol on the hud-man I'll need to slow down and grind out the training(worth i), this'll be the firsttime using a TGP without A-G radar to point it in the general area.

I keep popping my nose tire on takeoff for some reason.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3356425 - 08/01/11 07:57 AM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

If you want a quicker way of getting into the action I'd recommend this sticky. That way you can have a bit of fun while learning the avionics which will take quite a while.

#3356546 - 08/01/11 01:55 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
RuhRoh Offline
RuhRoh  Offline

Central Coast, CA
Originally Posted By: tomcat211
I keep popping my nose tire on takeoff for some reason.

That's me too . . . have to keep taxi speeds down before takeoff, and especially disable nose steering on the takeoff roll once you hit > 50 knots or so - continuing to use it above that speed will blow the tire for sure.

#3356757 - 08/01/11 06:58 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
tomcat,

The A-10 avionics handle a bit differently than in other modern fighter sims, but I think if you've got the basics down the training will be a breeze.

I've never had an issue popping my nosewheel though - interesting. Can you send me a track?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3357266 - 08/02/11 06:33 AM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
Turkeydriver Offline
Turkeydriver  Offline

Ok, so I found the NWS switch (pinkie) and took off 2x and landed 2x without shredding my tires or veering to the left or right. My throttle brakes function as a real aircrat i guess-with pressure and then set once their max extended? The first landing I was a long and didn't touch down until the mid point and wasn't using airbrake( thought wheels brakes would work fine) SO I overshot the runway by 3 aircraft lengths, but I didnt sink and the tire didnt shred. Shutdown to APU, then brought it all back up and turned around, taxi back on and full takeoff with some NOE mountain valley flying that would give me a job in the Swiss AF. Touched down with a perfect 3 wheel landing and no bounce thanks to me figuring out how the back part of the speed brake switch has increment and holding settings-with full airbrakes the A-10 stops rather quickly. Taxied back to the apron for a full shutdown-next pilot will be glad I didn't drain the battery

#3357508 - 08/02/11 03:56 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
My throttle brakes function as a real aircrat i guess-with pressure and then set once their max extended?
Air-brakes? Yes. You can think of the control on the throttle as speedbrakes extend/speedbrakes retract button. They will stay at whatever position commanded (as long as you have hydraulic power!).

Touched down with a perfect 3 wheel landing.
I'm glad to hear your landings are improving, but FYI, a 3-point landing isn't perfect in a tricycle gear aircraft! Land on the mains with the nosewheel off the ground and then fully extend the speedbrakes. Maintain back pressure until the nosewheel comes down on its own then apply wheelbrakes. That nose-up attitude on touchdown generates a lot of drag which helps slow down the aircraft without heating up the brakes.

Taxied back to the apron for a full shutdown-next pilot will be glad I didn't drain the battery
Quite glad, indeed! Well done!

That was a great AAR, tomcat! Looking forward to more!

Last edited by EinsteinEP; 08/02/11 03:57 PM.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3357534 - 08/02/11 04:34 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I land with the speedbrakes out, just a bit shy of fully-open. Flaps are also out in full and gears down. I find this allows me to fly with more RPM on the engines but slow speed. Should I need more power, I'll just close the brakes and full max throttle...

Einstein, does the aero-brake function work in the Hog like it does with the F-16? I do "hold back pressure until the nose falls" as well but I've since relied more on my air brakes and wheel brakes for stopping power.

- Ice
#3357622 - 08/02/11 06:49 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: - Ice]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: "Ice"
does the aero-brake function work in the Hog like it does with the F-16? I do "hold back pressure until the nose falls" as well but I've since relied more on my air brakes and wheel brakes for stopping power.
Aerobraking will help slow you down while moving fast (drag being proportional to square of airspeed and all that) but you'll need the wheelbrakes to come to a complete stop. The speedbrakes contribute to aerobraking as well, so sling those barn doors as far out as they'll go once you touchdown.

Another trick to making sure you have a short enough stopping distance is to land at the right speed. Being just 10 kts too high at touchdown can add hundreds of feet to your roll out distance.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3357632 - 08/02/11 07:03 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: - Ice]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: - Ice
I land with the speedbrakes out, just a bit shy of fully-open. Flaps are also out in full and gears down. I find this allows me to fly with more RPM on the engines but slow speed. Should I need more power, I'll just close the brakes and full max throttle...

Speed brakes should be about 40% open for landing. More is not so good: For one, if one engine fails, it takes time to retract, and what if you forget?
Two: An engine at high RPM requires a long time to go to idle, so your roll out is longer, which is bad if you need to do a short-distance landing. It can also help you baloon more.

Quote:
Einstein, does the aero-brake function work in the Hog like it does with the F-16? I do "hold back pressure until the nose falls" as well but I've since relied more on my air brakes and wheel brakes for stopping power.

The preferred way to aerobrake an A-10 is to open the airbrakes to 100%. You need weight on wheels for this, as the brakes will only open to 80% otherwise. So land, open the airbrakes, nose on the tarmac, and don't start braking until down to 60kts if possible (earlier if necessary due to short runway. If you landed long, you should have gone around instead!)

--
44th VFW
#3357680 - 08/02/11 08:02 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks to GrayGhost for pointing stuff out. I wonder though how do you determine 40% open? IIRC there is no speedbrake status indicator in the -C (but IIRC there was one in -A) and the way to tell speedbrake status was to look over your shoulder...

Also, thanks for confirming that the airbrakes DO open more when you've landed; I thought it was just my imagination.

- Ice
#3357684 - 08/02/11 08:06 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Eyeball Mk1 for the airbrake. Go ahead and open and close it a few times either on ground or in the air - in the air, 40% airbrake is exactly half of what you would see at maximum opening in the air (which is 80%).

--
44th VFW
#3357720 - 08/02/11 08:48 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
@Gray,

I noticed the 80% limit on the speedbrakes until weight on wheels - do all three wheels need to be down, or just the mains?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3357799 - 08/02/11 10:30 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I think it's just the mains, but not sure.

--
44th VFW
#3358002 - 08/03/11 04:22 AM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
Turkeydriver Offline
Turkeydriver  Offline

Whoa, just got home from work and read what i wrote last night- I finished that flight at around 11pm after a 12 hour day at awork so i was a bit tired. For some reason I haven't thought of aero-braking with the A-10 as I never noticed it at Nellis-that seems to be a a fighter thing thats mostly effective if your planform is equivalent to a barn door. The A-10 has the low wing loading but I never noticed the aero braking on rollout like you do for F-15 and F-16. I'm getting the itch for trying this thing multiplayer once I get the avionics down and can execute the tactics.(read multiplayer would be fun sometime before Christmas lol).

I'm really appreciative to the startup and shutdown details as well as the extra concentration on takeoff and landing-feels more immersive for sure. Has anyone experienced a mission working with AI aircaft yet? Responding to a "broken arrow" type call with F-16s and Tornados responding and maneuvering in your killbox would be pretty awesome as would being a FAC-A. I was sold on Falcon4AF with the FAC missions. I wonder how well it works in multiplay.

I'll keep you all posted on training progress with hopefully a bit more clarity on the avionics training.

Last edited by tomcat211; 08/04/11 03:46 AM.
#3358080 - 08/03/11 08:31 AM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

You're welcome to join a multiplayer flight with some servers even with little experience. A few online squads have members online regularly and would be willing to help out a new pilot.

Where are you located, tomcat?

- Ice
#3358639 - 08/04/11 03:46 AM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
Turkeydriver Offline
Turkeydriver  Offline

In San Diego for another 18 months at least.

#3359116 - 08/04/11 07:35 PM Re: Finally bought it..... [Re: Turkeydriver]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Ah, USA. Look up the War Hawks, they've got great members who'll be happy to teach you anything. If you can grab a session with Mouse or Boomer, they're great guys.

- Ice

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.