Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3356077 - 07/31/11 08:38 PM Handling the aircraft in FC  
Tarnsman Online content
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Online Content
Hotshot

USA
I am getting acclimated to FC, particularly the Eagle and I am having a very hard time. Basically, the F-15 and the Mig-29 seem extraordinarily sensitive to AoA, so much so I can't figure out how to fight without bleeding off massive airspeed and inducing stall.

Basic flight regimes -- no problem -- but an Immelmann or any hard turn and I'm fluttering toward the ground like a kite. I can avoid this, but I cant avoid it and execute BFM.

Any suggestions or links to pilots notes are highly appreciated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3356157 - 07/31/11 10:23 PM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
WhistlinggDeath Offline
WhistlinggDeath  Offline

La Jolla, CA
You sure your not pulling a bit tight ? For me, I compare the F15 in FC2 to the P51 in IL2. It is an energy fighter, and as such, I never take the turn fight with it. It has the best in-game BVR capabilities and when possible, I take out bogies in that manner. If in a duel with guns only, it must be flown strictly BnZ against Russian opposition. Split S and Immelmann dont give me any problems but I try to pull them smooth and at lower G. For example you can pull the high G barrel roll in the Su 27 at about 8 to 9 G and sustain consciousness, frame integrity and AoA, but with the F15, you get flutter and stall at about 7 G to 8 G. That is a big difference up close.

S! - WD

If you can defeat me in a fair same altitude duel, you are either Hartmann's ghost or you have a ganja problem that needs treatment.

Like asking weird questions and are good at math? Maybe you can join us at the Jacobs School of Engineering, UC San Diego. Tackling the grand mysteries of the age with science.

At the core of most of life's deep mysteries, is the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ..... mathematics.
#3356296 - 08/01/11 02:22 AM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Stop yanking on the stick. It's all about doing it the right way: Entry at the correct parameters (weight, speed, throttle), pull and maintain either correct g or stick pressure. Be patient.

Basically ... practice more. A lot more - before you go to combat. Do immelman's until you can do them in your sleep. And during combat, if you don't have the right parameters to execute that maneuver, do something else instead.

Originally Posted By: Tarnsman
I am getting acclimated to FC, particularly the Eagle and I am having a very hard time. Basically, the F-15 and the Mig-29 seem extraordinarily sensitive to AoA, so much so I can't figure out how to fight without bleeding off massive airspeed and inducing stall.

Basic flight regimes -- no problem -- but an Immelmann or any hard turn and I'm fluttering toward the ground like a kite. I can avoid this, but I cant avoid it and execute BFM.

Any suggestions or links to pilots notes are highly appreciated.

--
44th VFW
#3356355 - 08/01/11 04:35 AM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
Tarnsman Online content
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Online Content
Hotshot

USA
So it can be done?

#3356549 - 08/01/11 02:04 PM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

It just takes practice and discipline. If all you do during combat is pull the stick back as far as you can, though, you won't get anywhere. You need to know how much stick you can pull, or if you can even start a given maneuver based on the speed and altitude you're at.

--
44th VFW
#3356684 - 08/01/11 05:12 PM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: GrayGhost]  
Tarnsman Online content
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Online Content
Hotshot

USA
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
It just takes practice and discipline. If all you do during combat is pull the stick back as far as you can, though, you won't get anywhere. You need to know how much stick you can pull, or if you can even start a given maneuver based on the speed and altitude you're at.

Is this info written down anywhere like "Pilot's Notes" or something?
What is the best corner speed and climb rate?

Thanks

#3356742 - 08/01/11 06:37 PM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

That depends on where you are wink

Generally your highest energy is around M0.8 up to 5000 or 10000', 0.9 or 95 after. Best climb is a sustained M0.95. Of course, you won't be able to keep the speed steady in a dogfight, so you can to choose where and how you spend it, and evaluate whether you can pick it back up in a timely fashion.

Look at Robert Shaw's 'Fighter Tactics' book.

--
44th VFW
#3357119 - 08/02/11 01:37 AM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
Tarnsman Online content
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Online Content
Hotshot

USA
Thanks

#3358008 - 08/03/11 04:34 AM Re: Handling the aircraft in FC [Re: Tarnsman]  
Turkeydriver Offline
Turkeydriver  Offline

What you're learning to do is called "max performing" the airplane. Its a finesse and fine tuning thing where you optimize your lift and airspeed at every moment-deciding to be wings level instead of in 30 degree bank while in a slight climb with the bogey. Limiting all your rapid g onset , "mashing" stick moves to defensive BFM to spoil your opponents shot-and getting comfortable with him back there waiting for him to pull that bit of lead to get pipper on before you waste your energy on maneuvers.
You'll find that first its easy to stay behind his 3/9 line and then be glued to his 5-7 o clock cone but difficult to get a gun solution before you run outta schlitz(use up your energy). The way to overcome this is to have your head 3 steps ahead of where your opponent is now. Its very hard to learn on a PC and I'm not good at it but you can cheat at it but attacking so that your opponent has limited options-if you boom and Zoom, and he uses all his energy trying track you with High AoA, he'll eventually have to dive to gain airspeed and survive-this is when you dive with low engine power because he cant move anywhere but down and kill him before he builds up energy to ruin your day. Good luck, ts a lotta of fun but really frustrating.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.