Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3354025 - 07/28/11 09:55 PM Sales Figures So Far  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Detailed sales figures are seldom released for privately owned companies (public ones do report per 'sector'), but on a Steam title you can look at the 'charts'. Go here:

http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Simulation/

(Make sure you click the 'Top Sellers' tab, and resist the temptation to immediately buy that Class 455 train)

Putting aside all the usual advocacy and food fights, this looks like a poor showing so far. The US release looks to have had little impact, in that CloD appeared for two days but then dropped out of the top 10 and has not been seen since.

What next then?

(Mod note: Personal attacks against the developers are counted as personal attacks as part of the SimHQ forum guidelines, but that shouldn't stop us from having frank and decent discussions here (crosses all fingers). Thank you!)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3354040 - 07/28/11 10:12 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I dont think anyone should be surprised frog, the lack of any half decent PR before release, epilepsy filter debacle at release and the main man Oleg leaving the day after (though its pretty much common knowledge he had been gone a long time before)release.
Then bad reviews after release dont make for big sales figures.
We have already missed the big US release and still no large game fixing patch, please dont anyone tell me COD is in a releasable state because it is far from it.
Lets hope CLOD doesn't go the same way as SH5.

I think Brealistic got it right(though it doesn't make for nice reading for me)...i hope he doesn't mind me quoting him?

"I see a developer that was cooking this product for six years and releases a half baked potato.
and no amount of sour cream will cover this up.

I also see the man that was behind this scheme and that so many people sadly just adore running for the hills far before it's release.
me thinks this was a back burner project and that someone figured even in this state all the fanboys would still buy it"

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/28/11 10:20 PM.
#3354044 - 07/28/11 10:21 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
I dont think anyone should be surprised frog, the lack of any half decent PR before release, epilepsy filter debacle at release and the main man Oleg leaving the day after (though its pretty much common knowledge he had been gone a long time before)release.
We have already missed the big US release and still no large game fixing patch, please dont anyone tell me COD is in a releasable state because it is far from it.

Yep, we will have to see. I suppose it is only 1 week after release, so time will tell.

As an aside: I often see the Silent Hunter 5 reference, and get the 'if it goes bad, they cull' implication, but for what it's worth smile that was the Ubisoft Bucharest studio (Ubisoft Romania) that got, um, relocated after poor sales. The rumor was that Ubisoft planned to shut this studio even before SH5 left its berth.

In CloD's case it might be different in that 1C are quite a large independent developer and wholly own Maddox Games and Ubisoft is just the Western Publisher in this case. Ubisoft can't shut down 1C regardless of if they would or would want to if they had developed CloD smile

#3354047 - 07/28/11 10:24 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Way to go DCS and ArmA! thumbsup

Anyway, less-than-stellar sales are no surprise now. As a CoD shareholder I'm more interested in what fixes are in the pipe. I've finished setting the game up and am curious when I can use it full-featured. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3354054 - 07/28/11 10:34 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
Known problems aside, I`m hardly surprised it`s not in the top ten.

1. It`s a sim. We all know, we are niche geeks.

2. That the US release doesn`t help much is even not surprising. No offense, but no Mustang and no P-47. `nuff said.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3354057 - 07/28/11 10:38 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: kilosierra]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: kilosierra
Known problems aside, I`m hardly surprised it`s not in the top ten.

1. It`s a sim. We all know, we are niche geeks.

2. That the US release doesn`t help much is even not surprising. No offense, but no Mustang and no P-47. `nuff said.

But it's a chart just showing sims sales? (the URL end bit is /genre/Simulations)

#3354059 - 07/28/11 10:41 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Yep, we will have to see. I suppose it is only 1 week after release, so time will tell.

Only to those in the US who waited for the official release, the rest of us have been playing a beta, not that it bothers me to be fair. However I cannot help but feel that had they followed the DCS route and actually released it as a pre-order with beta access there would have been significantly less vitriol.

#3354063 - 07/28/11 10:48 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: ]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: anon

Only to those in the US who waited for the official release, the rest of us have been playing a beta, not that it bothers me to be fair. However I cannot help but feel that had they followed the DCS route and actually released it as a pre-order with beta access there would have been significantly less vitriol.

I agree Dano, although the DCS guys are more unique in that they have a revenue stream from military projects (the TFC line). One thing DCS and RoF do have in common is that they can fully control their own release strategy. My guess is that 1C and Ubisoft have had an existing agreement for this title perhaps even from the IL2 days, which pretty much means they lose control of how and when to release it.

You can be small and niche and get full control to do things like paid betas, or you can go big and try to sign a 'big four' publisher and then get dictated to how it goes. If things go well (advertising, distribution, shop presence, better steam deal etc), then it's a good deal for all, but if things don't go well then, well..

#3354067 - 07/28/11 10:57 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

I think Brealistic got it right(though it doesn't make for nice reading for me)...i hope he doesn't mind me quoting him?

"I see a developer that was cooking this product for six years and releases a half baked potato.
and no amount of sour cream will cover this up.

I also see the man that was behind this scheme and that so many people sadly just adore running for the hills far before it's release.
me thinks this was a back burner project and that someone figured even in this state all the fanboys would still buy it"

Na, I don't mind. Knock yourself out pal. I am also making a version of this with a pepperoni pizza but the recipe isn't quite finished.

This just goes to show you what posting on a empty stomach will do for your opinions.

#3354074 - 07/28/11 11:09 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Borsch Offline
Borsch  Offline

I do not think it pushed boundaries enough to Make people upgrade- same old FM, same old campaign, same old AI, poor sound and just lack of innovative ideas period. The huge thread that Ilya himself strated on Yellow forums, asking people for ideas thy would like to see realised never came to anything in the end. Been there done that (the great IL2 of course) feeling came very quickly for me. To many IL2 shortcomings were ported straight over. Great DM, and very good graphics (with lots of unfinished) probably arnt enough for anything bigger for CoD for now.

Spitfire girl is a symbolic attempt at innovation, but remained just a bare symbol.

I pray that Ilya and team have worked out a steady plan for the future - funding for patches and oh-so necessary upgrades through publisher or stream of paid add-ons/sequels. Death of this franchise would be a huge loss.

Last edited by Borsch; 07/28/11 11:09 PM.
#3354081 - 07/28/11 11:17 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
As an aside: I often see the Silent Hunter 5 reference, and get the 'if it goes bad, they cull' implication, but for what it's worth smile that was the Ubisoft Bucharest studio (Ubisoft Romania) that got, um, relocated after poor sales. The rumor was that Ubisoft planned to shut this studio even before SH5 left its berth.

In CloD's case it might be different in that 1C are quite a large independent developer and wholly own Maddox Games and Ubisoft is just the Western Publisher in this case. Ubisoft can't shut down 1C regardless of if they would or would want to if they had developed CloD smile

This also means that Ubi will probably give a lot less leeway with CloD than it did with SH5, as it's not one of their studios that made the game. Since it's an independant developer, they can walk away from it a bit quicker, as they only have a monetary investment in it. Once that monetary threshold's reached that recoups enough of their investment that they can justify on their books, I don't think Ubi will stay around too long. It hasn't been the smoothest release of a package and Ubi likes smooth and simple.

I myself am waiting to see if/when it gets into a better state before taking the plunge to get it. And, please...no "You should support the dev by buying it" comments. I supported the dev through the entire IL-2 series, through all it's problems, and I'm not real prone to buy something that isn't what it's been advertised as. I don't buy hamburger meat at the store if the sticker reads "will turn into filet mignon in 30 days" because I know better.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."
#3354104 - 07/28/11 11:38 PM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: SteveGee]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: SteveGee

This also means that Ubi will probably give a lot less leeway with CloD than it did with SH5, as it's not one of their studios that made the game. Since it's an independant developer, they can walk away from it a bit quicker, as they only have a monetary investment in it. Once that monetary threshold's reached that recoups enough of their investment that they can justify on their books, I don't think Ubi will stay around too long. It hasn't been the smoothest release of a package and Ubi likes smooth and simple.

I myself am waiting to see if/when it gets into a better state before taking the plunge to get it. And, please...no "You should support the dev by buying it" comments. I supported the dev through the entire IL-2 series, through all it's problems, and I'm not real prone to buy something that isn't what it's been advertised as. I don't buy hamburger meat at the store if the sticker reads "will turn into filet mignon in 30 days" because I know better.

Yep, for this bit

they can walk away from it a bit quicker

..how will we be able to tell? smile

The US release was almost non-existent, with 1C almost denying it was released that day.

#3354151 - 07/29/11 01:38 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Man , that train sim goes off yeh.Freaks me out a bit that there is all of these fat controllers sitting at home shunting wagons around endlessly.Maybe a bit jealous too seeing as how we do not even have static trains yet to shunt ourselves.Class 455 you say Frog..hmmm, i wonder if they did the refurb on that model with the modified doorways so that the sliding doors can open further, to allow for faster boarding and alighting of course, thats a game changer for me.

toot, toot.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3354157 - 07/29/11 01:51 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: Ajay]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Eek, man alive Ajay - do not encourage the wrath of the Railway Children. Mess with a man with more money in DLC then most have in the bank and you're always asking for trouble. Hell hath no fury like a train fan on the rampage!

As fellow simmer's we should respect their hobby as I'm sure they respect ours - accept those Class 37 fans, they can bite my shiny green backside...

smile

Edit: (off-topic, uh, so) Of course, if the CloD base was all sorted out one day then perhaps DLC could save 1C like it's obviously done well for Railworks? Would you buy a $9.99 P-47 if perfectly modeled etc?

Last edited by FearlessFrog; 07/29/11 01:55 AM. Reason: Ban him!
#3354164 - 07/29/11 02:06 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
rofl

That's looks a bit like one of our metro stations around DC.

However, there might be something to be said about building a scenario around The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3. Just conjecture on my part..

It's a Game. smile
#3354187 - 07/29/11 03:04 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I dunno if i could go the route of the pay for plane thing.An addon with a theatre and aircraft etc i, but single planes? not really my deal smile Maybe if you brought say the 190 and then got every variation of that series that came out afterwards.A1 through to A9 for example.But just one plane ? No please.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3354190 - 07/29/11 03:11 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Lixma Offline
Lixma  Offline

Londinium
I used to drive those things across London in a previous life. We called them 313s but looking at the cabin they seem more or less identical. The only difference I can see is we had a 'ship-to-shore' radio where the de-mister(?) is in the picture. Also the picture shows +40mph with the throttle only showing 'Step 2' - that's pretty optimistic if I remember correctly.

#3354208 - 07/29/11 03:49 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
I don't think this type of speculation actually works wink

We'd need to know the total number of copies sold. We'd also need to know the percentage going to the developer and how much the developer intends to recover from this release.

Success is related to all of these things - not just the number of days at a given # position with a given developer.

#3354214 - 07/29/11 03:58 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: Avimimus]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Avimimus
I don't think this type of speculation actually works wink

We'd need to know the total number of copies sold. We'd also need to know the percentage going to the developer and how much the developer intends to recover from this release.

Success is related to all of these things - not just the number of days at a given # position with a given developer.

If it's pure speculation then of course it doesn't work, that's the point! smile

But: One of the unique things to this title, say compared to IL-2, is that all sales (DVD or download) are recorded against the Steam API and end up on that chart. It also helps to have comparative other sim titles to compare with too (not in terms of sales, but of how it is selling compared to it). We know the team size, we know how long it took to develop, and I have a general benchmark of what Steam takes in terms of percentage. Those figure if added up would be meaningless, but the point was more that there is a visible and public way to see current comparative sales (due to the Steam tie-in) and that makes it interesting enough smile

#3354219 - 07/29/11 04:08 AM Re: Sales Figures So Far [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
throttle? i thought that was the kettle and his stylish ceramic mug.My uncle used to drive? steer? throttle and brake? coal trains in NSW , someone did the stand on the track thing one night and refused to move, predictable results. Long story short he never drove a train again.

Sorry for derailing the thread btw guys smile

On topic: On the steam page , the top seller list, it shows CloD as number 6 for me.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.