Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3350621 - 07/25/11 12:44 PM Original Falcon 4.0  
theGUNSLINGER Offline
theGUNSLINGER  Offline

Ontario, Canada
I was wondering if there is some sort of patch that takes the original 4.0 and just cleanes up the graphics, instead of adding free falcon or open falcon, i would like to use this game in its original form with no add ons
sorry if this had been asked before
Thanks
tomcat

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3350656 - 07/25/11 01:26 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
Maybe the original redviper.exe, that was the biggest leap I remember in terms of smooth graphics and frame rate.
And hitiles for the terrain.
Cheers
keith

#3350679 - 07/25/11 01:43 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
Vortex Offline
Vortex  Offline

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "cleaning up" the graphics. It sounds like your problem might be with your monitor or graphics card etc.. But there's a third party landscape package that is fairly inexpensive, and will make things look a bit better than the original textures. The version of "HiTiles" I'll link below goes with Falcon 4: Allied Force. A newish authorized release of the game I'd highly recommend if you primarily just want a stable and easy to install experience. And don't want to necessarily do the dance that can be involved with some of the community modded versions of the game.

http://www.hitiles.com/indexF4AF.htm

http://www.lead-pursuit.com/ (where F4: Allied Force is being sold for $20 or so)

However if you'd simply like to patch the original game up to its last (11+ year old) version, you might Google "Falcon 4.0" + "1.08" (the last official patch). Or maybe you could still find that patch at the Hasbro site somewhere. But the game will be buggy as all getout, and a real looser compared to F4: Allied Force. Or Open Falcon or Free Falcon for that matter too.

#3350748 - 07/25/11 02:58 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

You can also look for the Falcon Superpak 4 mod. It is stable, doesn't require hardware beyond the original F4, installs on top of the original Falcon 4, and it's free. SP4 has been superseded for a number of years, but it might just be what you're looking for if you don't want to go the Allied Force route.

That said, if you're going to put the time into Falcon 4, it's worth the $20 to get Allied Force and get more enjoyment for the time you put in.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3350767 - 07/25/11 03:22 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: HomeFries]  
LoD_Viper Offline
LoD_Viper  Offline

Southern Arizona in the good o...
Originally Posted By: HomeFries
You can also look for the Falcon Superpak 4 mod. It is stable, doesn't require hardware beyond the original F4, installs on top of the original Falcon 4, and it's free. SP4 has been superseded for a number of years, but it might just be what you're looking for if you don't want to go the Allied Force route.

That said, if you're going to put the time into Falcon 4, it's worth the $20 to get Allied Force and get more enjoyment for the time you put in.

Agreed. Allied Force is easy to install. Very stable and is more up to date for recent hardware and drivers. Good, all-around experience. Get the latest patch for Allied Force at the www.lead-pursuit.com website under the downloads section.

#3353151 - 07/28/11 01:52 AM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
theGUNSLINGER Offline
theGUNSLINGER  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the input im definetly going to purchase F4AF i just wanted to start off with the original before getting into Allied Force so im going to try and find the Superpak 4 addon, and give that a go

Thanks All tomcat

#3353192 - 07/28/11 02:48 AM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

CheckSix has a lot of the old patches

http://www.checksix-fr.com/

#3353359 - 07/28/11 08:42 AM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: theGUNSLINGER
Thanks for the input im definetly going to purchase F4AF i just wanted to start off with the original before getting into Allied Force so im going to try and find the Superpak 4 addon, and give that a go

Thanks All tomcat

I've had the same question, and IMHO, you'd be better off skipping 4.0 and just going with AF- it's very little different from original in avionics, much more stable, supports higher resolutions and OSs, can join others online, and better graphic options such as Hitiles etc. The only reason original game would be useful was if you had the Commander's Binder edition- 95% of which is applicable to AF anyway.

#3353792 - 07/28/11 05:19 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
theGUNSLINGER Offline
theGUNSLINGER  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Would the superpak 4.0 patch change anything in the manual as for avionics weapons navigation, ect, the reason is i have always had the sim my goal is to finish the old version than jump to allied force...

again i appreciate all the help from everyone thanks
tomcat

#3353823 - 07/28/11 05:48 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: theGUNSLINGER]  
LoD_Viper Offline
LoD_Viper  Offline

Southern Arizona in the good o...
Would the superpak 4.0 patch change anything in the manual as for avionics weapons navigation, ect, the reason is i have always had the sim my goal is to finish the old version than jump to allied force...

tomcat

There is very little difference (if any?) between the avionics in SP4 and the avionics in AF. I understand your dedication to finishing the original SP4 but you really aren't missing anything by going straight to AF. AF has everything in it that SP4 did but much has been cleaned up as far the UI and the Balkans theater was incorporated. And the multiplayer in AF is incredibly smooth and reliable as compared to SP4.

#3353991 - 07/28/11 09:22 PM Re: Original Falcon 4.0 [Re: LoD_Viper]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: LoD_Viper

tomcat

There is very little difference (if any?) between the avionics in SP4 and the avionics in AF. I understand your dedication to finishing the original SP4 but you really aren't missing anything by going straight to AF. AF has everything in it that SP4 did but much has been cleaned up as far the UI and the Balkans theater was incorporated. And the multiplayer in AF is incredibly smooth and reliable as compared to SP4.

Well IIRC you can dumb down the avionics in SP4 to the original F4 release in realism options while maintaining the SP4 visuals, which you cannot do in AF. But I recommend going to AF straight away also, unless you have plenty of free time.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.