Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3352883 - 07/27/11 08:12 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
soaringbird, just awesome smile i take my hat off.

It's not like you weren't warned specifically on page 3 Furbs mate, sometimes I amaze meself with my Precog-skillz.....its uncanny. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3352883/3.html biggrin

It's almost as if I'm Professor X.....of the Uncanny X-Men!

Actually, I have a confession to make. I am. I could control soaringbirds Mind from afar to prevent him posting this nonsense like a broken record lol, but it would be Unethical. So you'll just have to put up with it I'm afraid. I could make him think he is Orville the Duck temporarily for a laugh though. Just let me know.

Reckon he'd dig the green. biggrin

hahaha

Last edited by Biggles07; 07/27/11 08:22 PM.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3352898 - 07/27/11 08:26 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
IMO soaringbirds's comments are quite funny.

/cue two totally different pics, one showing the beautiful, lush, green scenery of England, the other showing the rather weird-looking IL2:CoD grafics.

"This proves that CoD's colours are spot on." Can't argue with that kind of logic.

biggrin

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 07/27/11 08:26 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3352900 - 07/27/11 08:27 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Its ok, i was flying online today with a sqd mate who fly's over the south coast most weekends and he was talking about this post and how COD has the terrain colors all wrong. smile

Maybe Soaringbird can calibrate his eyes for him as he must be wrong. smile

No offense Soaringbird, your post actually made me spit my coffee over my badly calibrated monitor.

#3352910 - 07/27/11 08:33 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
... made me spit my coffee over my badly calibrated monitor.

I don't know, there are probably other ways to change the colour palette.

biggrin

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#3352942 - 07/27/11 09:04 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
ZG26_Emil Offline
ZG26_Emil  Offline

Cheshire....Ok stockport
I think if anything it is the UK that looks bloody washed out!

Formerly JG5_Emil
#3353405 - 07/28/11 11:17 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Hmmm, anyone get the feeling that instead of us calibrating our monitors, it should be Soaringbird going to specsavers? smile

#3353414 - 07/28/11 11:37 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: Biggles07]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Sorry, I have no time to follow all your rubbish but don't flatter yourself too much with your mind control skills. Perhaps you should first learn to how control yourself before posting anything. Your have flooded this forum with so many silly comments not only about colors so I am not sure whose “broken record” sounds more loudly. There is a good rule, sure somebody already told it to you in your school quite a few times. If you have nothing reasonable to say it would be better to stay silent.

#3353415 - 07/28/11 11:40 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Its ok, i was flying online today with a sqd mate who fly's over the south coast most weekends and he was talking about this post and how COD has the terrain colors all wrong. smile

That looks like a talk of a deaf person with a blind one. It's nothing new although. You should really first see how CloD looks on a properly calibrated sRGB screen before making any statements. Your mate could see whatever it is on his monitor. Strong oversaturation, color shift, gamma deviation. Even if his eyes are completely ok . Even if some photos appear realistic for him.

There is a reason why people at this forum who are using color calibrators, who are doing color grading job tell you the colors are ok in the game. Perhaps it should be enough reason to borrow or rent calibration device just for a single try at least.

Last edited by soaringbird; 07/28/11 11:47 AM.
#3353419 - 07/28/11 11:44 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

exitstageleft

#3353422 - 07/28/11 11:50 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Soaringbird, colour doesn't affect:
-field layouts
-tree layouts and placements
-a lack of hedgerows
-an unrealistic patchwork effect of different fields all thrown together with a sprinkling of 'tropical colouring' thrown on the top (I hear what you're saying regarding colours, but unless the lighting system is seriously sorted out, the transition between all hours of the day does not show a broad spectrum of realistic colours). As recent mod work has shown, a movement towards a more fluid system of fields has made the scenary look impressively better (see Rocket-Dogs photos to see what I mean regarding the placement of fields)
-tree type. It sounds incredibly picky, but the trees look like lollipops from altitude when, in actual fact, the tres should blend seemlessly with the terrain (like one dense mass of foliage)

At the end of the day, I live in Blighty and have driven and flown over it many times, so please don't lecture me on how my own bloody country looks! Thank you. smile

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3353424 - 07/28/11 11:52 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

soaringbird, do you live in the South of England?

#3353427 - 07/28/11 11:57 AM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Here's a very recent flyover at low altitude of the new Hindhead road tunnel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14316672

Not a field in sight at that altitude and very dark saturated colours, though it was an overcast day and I've no idea of what time of day it was filmed.

Hindhead for refrence is here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...ved=0CDEQ8gEwAA

#3353431 - 07/28/11 12:05 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Soaringbird Maybe im wrong here, but lets say my monitor is badly calibrated ok...if i look at a picture of England i would see greens and browns right?
maybe not the right shade because of my monitor, but i would still see greens and browns right? then if i looked at a screenshot of the COD landscape that you say looks like England, i would see the same shades of green and brown that i saw in the picture of England on my monitor?

You see, to me the COD landscape shows different shades of greens and browns to a real picture of England, they are DIFFERENT, not the same.

it doesn't matter if my monitor is badly calibrated or not, its still showing different colors.

Now if they are different colors to me, i can choose which colors are closest to WHAT I SEE OUT THE BLEEDIN WINDOW!! smile

Lets put it a different way...if right now i LOOK OUT THE WINDOW i see green fields and trees, then i look back at the landscape of COD its wrong!!! then i look at the pictures i posted in this thread, they look like what i see OUT THE WINDOW, WITH MY OWN EYES!!!!! smile

Can you now see my point?

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/28/11 12:15 PM.
#3353435 - 07/28/11 12:07 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: Philip_ed]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
LMFAO....He's right you know, he's wearing Magneto's helmet....I can't do my Voodoo on his dome!!! biggrin

Yeah, I post loads of rubbish Orville *quack quack* like being one of the most prolific posters on the bugs thread, and helping people with queries on this broken game all the time. The bugs thread, FM discussions etc being places where you are conspicuous by your absence, because lets face it, there is really no need? Waxing lyrical about your Mystical Monitor constantly is more important, and CoD is the best thing since sliced bread. Nowt wrong with it at all. I think you have pretty much cornered the market on 'rubbish', (no offence) which is why everyone who actually knows what England looks like is laughing. Top entertainment though. biggrin

Must be great having the only properly calibrated monitor on the Planet though, I salute thee.....and thanks for putting us silly Limeys straight! Strange how all my other sims look fine, its almost as if you are completely wrong! But who am I to judge, oh master of the esoteric and dark arts of pro monitor calibration. *Yes, that was sarcasm lol* biggrin

Soaringbird, your wings have been clipped....and you could not be more epically, catastrophically wrong if you tried. rofl

End. Of. Story. That will be all. biggrin

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3353449 - 07/28/11 12:22 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
NineLives Offline
NineLives  Offline

Shropshire UK
Surely if our monitors were badly calibrated then real photos of the English countryside would look wrong as well. And yet we use these as references because we know they look right. And by the way I spent hours calibrating my screen both for colour and shading and it's spot on. And COD still doesn't look right biggrin

#3353451 - 07/28/11 12:27 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
NineLives Offline
NineLives  Offline

Shropshire UK
Surely if our monitors were badly calibrated then real photos of the English countryside would look wrong as well. And yet we use these as references because we know they look right. And by the way I spent hours calibrating my screen both for colour and shading and it's spot on. And COD still doesn't look right biggrin

#3353455 - 07/28/11 12:29 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: soaringbird]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: soaringbird

There is a reason why people at this forum who are using color calibrators, who are doing color grading job tell you the colors are ok in the game. Perhaps it should be enough reason to borrow or rent calibration device just for a single try at least.

*sigh*

My monitor is properly calibrated every month using a hardware tool since I work with printing processes and colours every day. There are several Pantone and HKS colour guides about a meter from where I sit and a full-spectrum lamp hanging over a worktable. Colours and the way they are displayed under various conditions is an important part of my job.

And I think the colours in IL2:CoD are totally off.

So don't come here and start preaching that CoD's colour palette is just fine and the ignorant gamers just don't know any better.

rolleyes

#3353499 - 07/28/11 01:11 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: Philip_ed]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Originally Posted By: Philip_ed
Soaringbird, colour doesn't affect:
-field layouts
-tree layouts and placements
-a lack of hedgerows
-an unrealistic patchwork effect of different fields all thrown together with a sprinkling of 'tropical colouring' thrown on the top (I hear what you're saying regarding colours, but unless the lighting system is seriously sorted out, the transition between all hours of the day does not show a broad spectrum of realistic colours). As recent mod work has shown, a movement towards a more fluid system of fields has made the scenary look impressively better (see Rocket-Dogs photos to see what I mean regarding the placement of fields)
-tree type. It sounds incredibly picky, but the trees look like lollipops from altitude when, in actual fact, the tres should blend seemlessly with the terrain (like one dense mass of foliage)

I actually agree with your points . I argue only with some lime or acid “garish” greens/yellow colors some people mentioned . Anytime you see something asid or lime green/yellow in the game is due to wrong monitor color saturation and gamma. All other things like trees are not enough dark have a good ground. The game actually lacks some decent vivid green colors now after they did their small recent adjustments. And the photos posted in the thread prove it quite well.
I do not live in England but pretty sure the green grass is green there too not dull brown/olive one like in WoP, many other games/movies or some editions people offered here.
Ironically my own job consists a task of adjusting colors for consumers monitors so I am doing pretty much the same with greens and yellows because they appears sometimes twice more saturated on peoples monitors.
Just make an experiment. Bring a photo with something green-yellow, fresh grass for example, in Photoshop or Gimp and change the saturation +/- 30. You would notice that green/yellow are the only color that is mostly changing. This kind of colors is thus most dependent of a correct monitor calibration and you could see it wrong on your monitor while everything other would look pretty much spot on. That makes an illusion for many that their monitors are ok and calibrated.
The calibrated monitor is not one you spent hours to adjust. A human eye is very unreliable tool for that . You could easily make it worse than before and the risk is more high more hours you spent adjusting.

#3353506 - 07/28/11 01:23 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Soaringbird, if i post 3 pictures here...

One of COD
One of England(real)
One of Modded IL2 England

all 3 on my badly calibrated monitor, and each one shows different colors, and only two look like what i see with my eyes out the window.

can we then discount what your saying?

Edit...im saying even all show different colours, one is much farther away from my view out the window than the other two, get it?

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/28/11 02:33 PM.
#3353507 - 07/28/11 01:23 PM Re: UK players of CoD, how does the scenery "feel?" [Re: Philip_ed]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Last edited by soaringbird; 07/28/11 01:37 PM.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.