Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3352376 - 07/27/11 07:59 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

back again Frey? i thought....oh never mind.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3352399 - 07/27/11 08:47 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: Foucault
What all you folks fail to understand is that the Giant Bomb guys have literally done hundreds of these Quick Looks and I have watched many, many of them. I can guarantee you those gents have rarely encountered such substantial problems just getting into a multiplayer match on console or PC.

CoD is a frigging joke compared to nearly every other modern video game of note that I can think of.

While you may all be willing to discount these individuals' credibility and expertise, it is clear that they are both somewhat familiar with sim games and the kind of complexity and gear necessary for flight sims. Yes, they were goofing on games. That's what Giant Bomb does, but that experienced and competent console and PC gamers could not figure out how to get into a multiplayer game is pretty telling and pretty damning.

Never heard of them before, although I did enjoy the review, personally never had any issue getting in to MP, no crashes etc, not sure what problems they were having but they looked like they had just jumped in for a fly, probably hadn't done much with settings etc/

I read a few of the comments and they weren't to bad, I think their were some negative ones about WOP though, truth is most people that like flight sims will buy this no matter what these reviews say.

Oh I watched some of their other reviews and they seemed to have the same problems, in Call of Suarez? they were unable to fire up multiplayer as they weren't sure how to kick it off, I think that's the whole idea, its a quick look so I am sure they often have trouble with MP as many games require things to be set correctly to play.

Last edited by Tiger27; 07/27/11 09:07 AM.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3352422 - 07/27/11 10:16 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Freycinet]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
So, when Luthier and Oleg aren't "liars" or "thieves" they're now "looking like petty criminals"? - You are really tireless in your hateful crusade, aren't you? - Disgusting.

Frey I think only a fool would try and suggest that Oleg and Luthier have not been econmical with the truth during the development process, if they had spoke the pure truth none of us would be complaining because the game would work as suggested. A thief is a petty criminal so if your suggesting that when oleg and luthier aren't thieving they look like petty criminals well i cannot comment on this, ive never seen any images of russian thieves.

Frey i dont know why you keep coming in here it only upsets you, stay in the nice boys room. biggrin

Last edited by Tree; 07/27/11 10:25 AM.
#3352456 - 07/27/11 11:21 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
darkmouse Offline
darkmouse  Offline

Plenty of things, including software, are sold in the UK with no garuantee of the functionality of that software, just the physical media it is delivered on. So,no it is not fraud.

I sold my TVR the other day - if it broke down as the guy who bought it was driving away - tough.

Actually TVR's are kinda like this game - hugely enjoyable, just not very reliable, very expensive to run and its not fraud to sell them without mentioning a few minor niggles.

#3352457 - 07/27/11 11:26 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Freycinet]  
Herr_Kapitan Offline
Herr_Kapitan  Offline

So, when Luthier and Oleg aren't "liars" or "thieves" they're now "looking like petty criminals"? - You are really tireless in your hateful crusade, aren't you? - Disgusting.

When individuals are economical with the truth what would you call it?

Bryan.

#3352497 - 07/27/11 12:07 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Eh, "market economy" maybe?

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3352511 - 07/27/11 12:29 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Tree]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tree

Frey I think only a fool would try and suggest that Oleg and Luthier have not been econmical with the truth during the development process, if they had spoke the pure truth none of us would be complaining because the game would work as suggested. A thief is a petty criminal so if your suggesting that when oleg and luthier aren't thieving they look like petty criminals well i cannot comment on this, ive never seen any images of russian thieves.

Frey i dont know why you keep coming in here it only upsets you, stay in the nice boys room. biggrin

I believe fry said he would rarely if ever come in here. It's another promise he didn't keep. whenpigsfly

#3352521 - 07/27/11 12:41 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
If only they had marketed the game as a paid beta... We would all still have bought it, everyone would have been ready for the suprises, and I would bet that we would be a lot further advanced in the bug fixing department just for the fact that the whole community would have gotten behind it, instead of wasting half our time bickering like spoilt children!
I hope to hell 1C, and any other developers learn from this ballzup!
I have definately gotten my moneys worth out of this and have high hopes for the future, but there is no denying that it was and still is not all that it was cracked up to be.

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3352525 - 07/27/11 12:46 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I died a little inside watching those "dudes" play this.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3352536 - 07/27/11 01:03 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
darkmouse Offline
darkmouse  Offline

Yeah, some don't like to hear the truth. That right now, on my fairly modest computer, CoD runs great, looks great and plays great. I have no problems getting online, sound has only ever cut out on me once, and the FM and DM are superb. So for me, its not a mess.

If you find it a mess, sucks to be you! neaner

#3352546 - 07/27/11 01:20 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
darkmouse Offline
darkmouse  Offline

Why can't you just accept that for loads of people this sim is providing lots of fun and is perfectly playable? As for fanboyism, whenever I have posted here I have pointed out or acknowledged that certain things don't work, or don't work properly.

You guys need to stop thinking that just because you are incapable of having fun in this sim that it must be the same for everyone. I acknowledge that plenty of people don't think it measures up to whatever standard they think it should be at. Fine, but rather than flinging #%&*$# at each other, why can't we just agree to disagree? Afterall, it will all be forgotten soon - I seen loads of people saying 'RoF is awesome by comparision!' - it is of course very good - but do they even remember the first year of its release?! It was far worse than CoD, with far less to do!

But so what, its come along nicely, and so will CoD.

Chill out.

ps. I really didn't mean to get drawn into another of these childish debates, but its just so difficult when people are screaming from the rooftops that CoD is 'broken beyond repair', which is manifestly untrue for a large section of the community, as evidenced by the many positive posts teeming with missions/skins/scripts/screenshots/videos etc.

Last edited by darkmouse; 07/27/11 01:32 PM.
#3352555 - 07/27/11 01:37 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Chivas said:

Quote:
I personally don't have a problem with the publisher being less than truthfull as I want COD to survive as much as the developer does.

I disagree. I do have a problem with it. Yes, you expect a certain amoutn of hype, exaggeration, and 'atmospheric lighting' in terms of description, but less than truthful has many shades and degrees - the worst of which is lying. Let's not beat around the bush with respect to language. There are all sorts of level of wilful and unwitting deception. Perhaps it was none of these - perhaps they just got carried away with self-belief, or perhaps there were elements of self-deception and hoping for the best. It happens, it doesn't have to be hugely pre-meditated.

But you'd think the wake-up call would have been heard by now. Ascribing degrees and levels of motive and a willingness to deceive is very difficult to show, much less to prove. Best not to go there.

Even better, not to have to go there in the first place. Lowered expectations would have helped this game immensely.

Quote:
I would be different if I felt the sim was going to be released and support pulled, but that is obviously not the case for the reasons I've mentioned above.

That still doesn't make it right.

Quote:
The people in the West have already been warned for four months on the condition of the sim.

That doesn't make it right, either. Plus your casual buyer looking at the box may not have read much of the criticism.

Quote:
Hopefully most will have enough common sense and foresight to see that their support is required now, not when the sim is finished a year from now. Supporting it later could be to late.

You cannot seriously suggest the community just ignore - let's call it a disappointing amount of exaggeration - and then *still* support the game, even when various patches seem to indicate a sideways, rather than a forwards direction?

Quote:
I certainly don't have a problem supporting a developer who has provided countless hours of cheap entertainment for the last ten years.

But is it the same developer/s?

Seems to me new bodies have been drafted in and are probably wading thru the code-base trying to get to grips with it.

Quote:
You can choose not to support it and drive away as many potential customers as you possibly can, but I'm not sure how that accomplishes anything worthwhile, other than putting out of business the only decent WW2 aircombat sim developers we have left.

You can't keep flagging up a Doomsday scenario to justify support for a half-finished product IMO. I appreciate your loyalty and yes, you are quite right to point out 10 years of good gaming, but things have changed, hugely. Not least the loss of Oleg (and maybe others?)

When we take away the emotive language, there are serious questions to answer in terms of how the thing ws portrayed - but not as important as *how* or *if* it will be put right. Depends whether you're prepared to subsidise in the meantime (I'm not...not yet anyway). It'snatural, people look back at what's happened as well as forwards to what *might* happen.

Ben

#3352557 - 07/27/11 01:38 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: darkmouse]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: darkmouse
Why can't you just accept that for loads of people this sim is providing lots of fun and is perfectly playable? As for fanboyism, whenever I have posted here I have pointed out or acknowledged that certain things don't work, or don't work properly.

You guys need to stop thinking that just because you are incapable of having fun in this sim that it must be the same for everyone. I acknowledge that plenty of people don't think it measures up to whatever standard they think it should be at. Fine, but rather than flinging #%&*$# at each other, why can't we just agree to disagree? Afterall, it will all be forgotten soon - I seen loads of people saying 'RoF is awesome by comparision!' - it is of course very good - but do they even remember the first year of its release?! It was far worse than CoD, with far less to do!

But so what, its come along nicely, and so will CoD.

Chill out.

ps. I really didn't mean to get drawn into another of these childish debates, but its just so difficult when people are screaming from the rooftops that CoD is 'broken beyond repair', which is manifestly untrue for a large section of the community, as evidenced by the many positive posts teeming with missions/skins/scripts/screenshots/videos etc.

Firstly, you did say you had no problems ergo there are no problems. Secondly, I never said it was broken beyond repair. I said it was amess and it is. 1C acknowledges that it has many problems. It WAS release unfinished. Stop putting words in my mouth (a childish argument strategy) in order to bolster your untenable position that there is nothing wrong with CoD.

#3352562 - 07/27/11 01:47 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
darkmouse Offline
darkmouse  Offline

Bah, I give up. You are absolutely right Icarus.

#3352571 - 07/27/11 01:54 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Freycinet]  
Herr_Kapitan Offline
Herr_Kapitan  Offline

Eh, "market economy" maybe?

Haha, very amusing but your evasiveness has been noted.

Bryan.

#3352711 - 07/27/11 04:32 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Helpful Topic Reminder: 'Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done'.

#3352784 - 07/27/11 06:15 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: falstaff]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: falstaff
Chivas said:

Quote:
I personally don't have a problem with the publisher being less than truthfull as I want COD to survive as much as the developer does.

I disagree. I do have a problem with it. Yes, you expect a certain amoutn of hype, exaggeration, and 'atmospheric lighting' in terms of description, but less than truthful has many shades and degrees - the worst of which is lying. Let's not beat around the bush with respect to language. There are all sorts of level of wilful and unwitting deception. Perhaps it was none of these - perhaps they just got carried away with self-belief, or perhaps there were elements of self-deception and hoping for the best. It happens, it doesn't have to be hugely pre-meditated.

But you'd think the wake-up call would have been heard by now. Ascribing degrees and levels of motive and a willingness to deceive is very difficult to show, much less to prove. Best not to go there.

Even better, not to have to go there in the first place. Lowered expectations would have helped this game immensely.

Quote:
I would be different if I felt the sim was going to be released and support pulled, but that is obviously not the case for the reasons I've mentioned above.

That still doesn't make it right.

Quote:
The people in the West have already been warned for four months on the condition of the sim.

That doesn't make it right, either. Plus your casual buyer looking at the box may not have read much of the criticism.

Quote:
Hopefully most will have enough common sense and foresight to see that their support is required now, not when the sim is finished a year from now. Supporting it later could be to late.

You cannot seriously suggest the community just ignore - let's call it a disappointing amount of exaggeration - and then *still* support the game, even when various patches seem to indicate a sideways, rather than a forwards direction?

Quote:
I certainly don't have a problem supporting a developer who has provided countless hours of cheap entertainment for the last ten years.

But is it the same developer/s?

Seems to me new bodies have been drafted in and are probably wading thru the code-base trying to get to grips with it.

Quote:
You can choose not to support it and drive away as many potential customers as you possibly can, but I'm not sure how that accomplishes anything worthwhile, other than putting out of business the only decent WW2 aircombat sim developers we have left.

You can't keep flagging up a Doomsday scenario to justify support for a half-finished product IMO. I appreciate your loyalty and yes, you are quite right to point out 10 years of good gaming, but things have changed, hugely. Not least the loss of Oleg (and maybe others?)

When we take away the emotive language, there are serious questions to answer in terms of how the thing ws portrayed - but not as important as *how* or *if* it will be put right. Depends whether you're prepared to subsidise in the meantime (I'm not...not yet anyway). It'snatural, people look back at what's happened as well as forwards to what *might* happen.

Ben

You see a developer that is being less than truthfull, releasing a crappy sim, and are not willing to support them now. Well I suggest there might be nothing to support later if everyone followed your advice.

I see a developer who was forced into releasing an unfinished product that has tons of potential trying to stay in business.

I can't support them enough as I would much prefer a scenario where they stay in business and provide me with another ten years of cheap entertainment. Its costing very little to make that investment and in the mean time I'm enjoying many aspects of sim. Especially the on-line play.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3352798 - 07/27/11 06:41 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

I see a developer that was cooking this product for six years and releases a half baked potato.

and no amount of sour cream will cover this up

I also see the man that was behind this scheme and that so many people sadly just adore running for the hills far before it's release.

me thinks this was a back burner project and that someone figured even in this state all the fanboys would still buy it.

Just my opinion

#3352909 - 07/27/11 08:33 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Brealistic]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Brealistic
I see a developer that was cooking this product for six years and releases a half baked potato.

and no amount of sour cream will cover this up

I also see the man that was behind this scheme and that so many people sadly just adore running for the hills far before it's release.

me thinks this was a back burner project and that someone figured even in this state all the fanboys would still buy it.

Just my opinion
`

You could be right, but the developer doesn't have that history, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the developer would like to stay in business to complete the sim and many more addons, instead of looking for another job in this market.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3352951 - 07/27/11 09:13 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Sorry Fearless, I'll answer just one small point and then be done with the slightly OT stuff...

Chivas said:

Quote:
You see a developer that is being less than truthfull, releasing a crappy sim, and are not willing to support them now. Well I suggest there might be nothing to support later if everyone followed your advice.

No, I didn't say they were being less than truthful; I said I could see why there's that perception. Also, if you re-rear my post you'll see I go the other way and say that self-deception and hype is often unwitting. People want to believe things so badly, sometimes.

hence why I said 'best not to go there' i.e. giving motives and pre-meditation.

I dont ahgree with what you said, but nevertheless I was tryign to see how some of it could be supported. I'm not a conspiracy theorist - thoguh I do think the devs have questions to answer, with hindsight (I predicted all this before launch, it struck me as obvious they were in real trouble)

Ben

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.